Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    walterquintwalterquint Member Posts: 89
    I just read Chevy will offer the Ecotec 4cyl with a 6sp autobox in the 1st half of 2008. DEFINITELY worth waiting for. That engine/tranny combo is superior to Camry's.

I would absolutely buy a Malibu with that combo over a Camry. I have the Ecotec in my Alero. It's a great engine. Heck, even with the a/c on, the engine never skips a beat, perky and torquey.
  • Options
    14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    some people thought the combo wasnt going to be offered because its not shown on the new Malibu website but I knew it was going to have late availability. I dont think it will hurt sales too much because most people are not going to get the LTZ model. If they can offer the LTZ four for about $23k they will be in business.
  • Options
    jcooleyjcooley Member Posts: 46
    I remember signing up for the 2006 Impala on the chevrolet.com website. I never did get any email news or updates.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    They're missing a golden opportunity to communicate directly with people who have expressed an interest in a specific vehicle in my opinion. They wouldn't even have to send out info that often, maybe something every month or so just to give an update on the pending arrival of the car, maybe some details on a specific feature, etc. Just enough to keep us interested. Otherwise why go to the trouble to have you sign up for info about a specific car if all you ever might get are a few generic emails about current financing options and such which have nothing to do with the car I'm interested in?
  • Options
    The Malibu order guide is finally posted. One surprise- the 3.5L V6 will be offered on the LS model. This is the first I am hearing of this and I'm wondering if this is a late addition to the lineup. Also, you can get the 3.6V6 on the 2LT model and most of the features on the LTZ are available on the 2LT model. There will also be a rear sunshade available. All we need now is the pricing.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The sign-up list may just be a prospect generator for the local dealers.
  • Options
    Maybe, but no one locally is harassing me either (at least not yet).

I read somewhere (here?) that Chevy is going to spend a boat-load of money to promote the Malibu, so odds are we'll be flooded with information soon enough...I just think if you're going to put the option on your website months in advance of the release for folks to sign up for info, you should send those people (who are obviously interested in the car) something to keep them interested.

Granted I guess this won't hurt sales any, but it could have helped build some word-of-mouth prior to the release.
  • Options
    karriwskarriws Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday there was an AP story in our local newspaper that said that GM would be spending $100 MILLION dollars on the new Malibu ad campaign. It also said that the 2008 Malibu would be compared directly to Camry and that the Bu's would be available Nov 1st.
  • Options
    claceclace Member Posts: 5
    where is the order guide?
  • Options
    bookmark it since its hard to remember.

BTW, I checked out the Accord's equipment and the EX-L is the only model with anything good. If you want auto climate control, auto dimming mirror, leather, leather wrapped wheel, heated seats, nav, 270w sound system, etc. you HAVE to get the top model.
  • Options
    If you wanted a loaded up model with heated leather seats and all that other stuff you listed, why wouldn't you want an EX-L? That's the point of the EX-L.
    You can get nav on a Malibu at all except the OnStar service where you have to call and talk to some one everytime you want to enter an address plus pay regular OnStar monthly fees plus additional monthly fees for the navigation service. No factory bluetooth at any price on the new Malibu.
  • Options
    You cannot pick and chose combination of options on the accord and that is annoying. What if I dont want leather AND the uplevel sound system AND heated seats AND auto dimming mirror AND moonroof, etc. Why cant I have some choices? Why cant I get 17" wheels on other models?

I'm not paying for nav and I dont talk on the phone in the car enough to get bluetooth. BAsically you would have to spend over $30k to get those things in the new accord and they are not worth that price of entry to me,

Accord lacks manumatic shifting, remote start, LED lights, 18" wheels, etc. at ANY price. That should be mentioned if you are going to compare the two cars.

BTW, Onstar does more then get directions. I dont think nav systems can unlock doors, track your car if stolen, send you maintenance reminder emails, call police if airbags are deployed, make reservations,etc. Dont act like its nothing more than a route planning service. If its so stupid Acura and Lexus wouldnt use the service.
  • Options
    You can't get the "route planning service" without paying for the rest of OnStar and more.
    OnStar is the reason they don't offer bluetooth. They want you to to sign up for OnStar plus the additional cost Verizon service.
    Imagine the total monthly fees if you signed up for the Verizon calling service plus the navigation service! And that service is so clunky since it doesn't have voicemail and you have to fiddle with two phone numbers and turning call forwarding on and off. What a huge hassle vs simple bluetooth that follows your single cell phone just because GM wants to push OnStar as the be-all end-all solution for everything.
  • Options
    bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    So let me get this straight, what you are saying is that I have the choice of paying 16.95 per month for onstar with free navigation, not including that the first year is free, Or that I should go out and get another car with a 2000 navigation system. Seems to me that it would almost take 10 years to equal the $2000 nav system.
  • Options
    It's much more than $16.95 per month.
    You do not get navigation free on a Malibu either.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/direct_conn.jsp

It's also so much faster and easier to type in the address yourself before you leave rather than having a third party try to do it for you remotely.
    Also, if you miss a turn with OnStar, instead of it quickly rerouting you, you have to answer a prompt asking you if you need help and want to continue with the trip before it will continue to route you. By that time, you may have missed the next chance to get back on route.
  • Options
    The CTS and STS have bluetooth and Onstar. GM probably misjudged how quickly BT was going to catch on and most of their cars are not able to use the technology.

In spite of all the hype 90% of regular cars (altima/Camry) that offer it do not have it. You have to spend about $4k on an option package to get BT on the Altima.
  • Options
    or you could get a Garmin for $400 and have all the features of a $2k in car nav system and you can use it on rentals and other people's cars. Just a thought. My brother has one and it works just fine and unlike many in car nav systems you dont have to worry about radio and climate controls being routed through the nav.
  • Options
    FWIW I've also read recently that factory nav systems actually DECREASE the resale value of the car, which could be another nod for going the Garmin route.
  • Options
    never thought of that. Its a novelty and its neat to play with but 90% of the time you are in your car you know EXACTLY where you are going. We used one on a recent trip down south and to be honest all it does is show where you are on the highway and count down miles to your destination. We knew were we were going and it really didnt help us at all, but it was a nice distraction during the trip.
  • Options
    They don't actually decrease the total resale value, but they decrease the percentage of MSRP that is retained.
    For instance if a car without nav was worth 40% of MSRP after 3 years, a car with nav may only be worth 38% of MSRP after 3 years. However the actual dollar amount is still higher.
    You might pay $2000 for the nav and might get something like $400 additional resale value when you sell the car which is a much higher percentage depreciation on that option than the base depreciation on the entire car.
    Most leases have lower residual percentages on cars with nav than those without nav.
  • Options
    Look I have a 2005 Envoy Denali with the nav system. I love it, but I got the Suv during G.M's Employee pricing event, which meant with the rebate I got a 40,000 truck for 31,000. I love the nav system, but I wouldn't have paid for it if I would have had to pay the extra 2,000 of the actuall price.
  • Options
    Also I think Gm is pricing it right, I just went into Toyota.com and a fully Loaded Camry Came in just over 34,000. I know that most people are going to get the mid level cars, but who would actually pay 34,000 for a Camry.
  • Options
    if you price out a loaded camry SE without nav you will have a price of $30k-$31k. A comparable Aura is about $27k and has several features the Camry SE lacks. MAlibu will probably be cheaper.
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    "but who would actually pay 34,000 for a Camry."

I can guarantee that there will be $4,000-$6,000 discount of fully loaded Camry. Otherwise it will move really slow. For 34,000 you can buy very nice slightly used luxury car.
  • Options
    desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    I have seen several rumors that AWD will be available in the 2008 Saturn Aura. If that is true will it also be available in the 2008 Malibu? Has anyone seen confirmation of this rumor?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Except for fleet sales (not talking Classic here, but the new 08).

I for one really like the 3.5 in my 05 Maxx. Gets in excess of 30 mpg (as good as my Kia Optima 4), OLM indicates 7000 mile oil change intervals. The lightness of the engine and its good economy more than makes up for a certain thrashiness, I normally keep the RPM's low anyway.

I guess GM is finally giving in to a couple of decades of bashing from the likes of Car and Driver and getting with the 21st. century. I for one will be sorry to see it go.
  • Options
    No AWD, not sure where you got this rumor from but I've never heard it.
  • Options
    I think they are giving it up, I always heard "enthusiasts" complain about this engine family, but I never had a problem with it. It's low end torque meant I never really had to rev for around town driving. In fact, I rode in a civic and it was kind of disconcerting to look over at the tach while cruising and seeing 3-4 grand. On the other hand, if I purchased a new malibu I would be shooting to get the 3.6 anyway, so I guess it won't matter to me.
  • Options
    noles200noles200 Member Posts: 49
    Well, I purchased an Aura XR with an MSRP of $25,719 and a sell price of $22,100 with discounts, etc. Excited about the trade price of $13,100 for an Accord EX-L too as it really cuts down on taxes (KBB had it at $12.4 in good condition - which it is). I think it's a good deal.

I looked at the order guides for both the new 2008 Malibu and 2007 Aura and not much differnce. The 'Bu LTZ has leather and a couple more bells and whistles that I didn't feel I needed (and will probably be priced like an Aura XR loaded at about $27 to 28K). The 'Bu 2LT didn't have 18" rims and some other extras that the Aura XR has so I'm diving in. This will be my first GM car (always been a Toyota, Honda, Mazda family) so I hope it goes well.
  • Options
    Congrats on the purchase! With all the praise the Aura has received it should be a great vehicle for you.

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the Malibu is I've got a GM Card rebate I'll be cashing in, and they won't honor that rebate on a Saturn. Sounds like you got a good price on your Aura though; if I end buying something sooner than later I'll be sure to give the Aura a look...odds are the Malibu will be in high demand initially (or at least they won't budge on price), but I might get more meaningful savings on a Saturn than I would on a 'Bu. I guess time will tell; I'm still hoping to wait a couple of years before I buy something...but then there'll be so many things just on the horizon (RWD Impala, Volt, etc.) that I'm afraid I'll end up delaying even longer. At least if something happens to my current car and I have to buy something new, I think the Aura or Malibu would be a good choice.
  • Options
    noles200noles200 Member Posts: 49
    Thanks,

I guess I could have waited to trade in my accord but just felt the deal on the Aura was exactly what I was looking for and I hope I become a GM owner for a long time to come. I had the same thought as you regarding the 'Bu's demand (thus not budging on price) which is why I went for the Aura.
  • Options
    Congrats on the Aura dude it's a sweet car, I think the New bu is also a hot car. I have always been a G.M. buyer. Not that I don't like the inports I just stick with what I like. I'm 37 and have had 3 Pontiacs A Caddy CTS and 2 Gmc's. All have been really great cars and very reliable. I was shocked, this girl I am dating traded in her x5 for a Saturn Sky. We were driving around last night and people were stopping us all the time and asking what it was. They couldn't believe it was a Saturn
  • Options
    I am in the same situation as you but please note GM card spending is capped on malibu. I believe its $1000 which is a shame, but not surprising. Generally you can only get $2000 or more on trucks, Cadillacs and older models that havent been updated in a while. That kind of makes me less likely to wait for the Malibu to come out.
  • Options
    Pricing was announced today. I dont see option prices anywhere.
  • Options
    Actually I got grandfathered in on the "old" GM Card...I'm limited on the amount of earnings per year ($500, and they expire after 7 years), but not on what I can cash in. I contemplated switching to the new card, as I've got two kids just below driving age and would probably get more short-term benefit from the "earn all you want, but cash in only what we'll accept" version, but I opted to stick with the original card.

Realistically, having cashed in @ $3,500 last spring on a new truck for my folks, my earnings are at the point I buy my next car won't be that great; $1k-1.5k at best, so either way the savings won't be major on my next purchase. But I figure the longer I wait the more I'll have saved up, and the more they'll be willing to deal on a Malibu. Too bad the card earnings can't be used on Saturns though.
  • Options
    if anyone can find complete pricing for the Malibu let me know. I would like to see what the options cost.
  • Options
    There is no option package pricing yet, but the LS starts at 19,900 Hybrid is 22,000 and LTZ starts and 26,300
  • Options
    chevy site says as shown 26995 for ltz. I know family cars are undergoing inflation these days, but that's steep, almost impala ss(after rebate) territory!
  • Options
    Right but most people are not going to go for the LTZ. ANd if you price compared to a Camry it's a steal. Plus Toyota is having massive problems with the transmissions on the Camry.
  • Options
    I sort of had the same reaction last night when I read this; I'm sure prices for the upcoming RWD Impala will come in higher than the current one (and fall in line a notch above the Malibu), but right now there's lots of overlap between the Malibu and Impala in terms of price. It'll be interesting to see where prices (and rebates) are on both cars a year from now.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sure rwd impala(whenever it comes) will slot farther above in price, like the g8 will. But I thought the plan was to move saturn upmarket. It'll be hard to do that when the malibu costs just as much or more than an aura. Plus, although I'm a chevy guy, I think the aura looks better too!
  • Options
    savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Saturn will go upmarket, but slowly. It is low volume car and low volume car cannot be cheap. Saturns are Opels and Opel went upmarket recently. Chevys in Europe took Opel's place. I think GM is doing the same thing in NA. Chevy will compete with ToyoHonda. Saturn is more exclusive - for someone who want to drive different kind of car, European kind of car(actually Saturn is what Mercury should be). Sooner or later Saturn will face VW as a main competitor, as it does in Europe.
  • Options
    Saturn is only going slightly upmarket. Saturn is more about affordable European style and handling than higher pricing. Saturn never actually said they were intending to charge more than Chevy for vehicles. Their style and handling and dealer service are supposed to separate them from Chevy moreso than pricing. Buick is always going to be slightly higher than Saturn, Pontiac and Chevy.

The Impala and Malibu will overlap but most import owners would not consider an Impala due to size, OHV engines and 4 speed auto. To me those things dont matter in a family sedan, but I guarantee you many converts who buy Malibu would not get Impala. Meanwhile many "traditional" domestic car fans are going to find the Malibu a little overpriced, too narrow and too lacking in trunk space. I dont think there will be as much overlap as people think, especially when you consider the Impala doesnt have a 4 cylinder.
  • Options
    gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Pricing, colors, interiors, and option packages are now shown on the 2008 Malibu page at www.chevrolet.com.
  • Options
    ok, I am interested to see it even though I got the Aura.
  • Options
    Some people will love the loud and "unique" colors.

I need to see them in person to be sure, but it isn't looking good from the pictures.
    Only 2 color choices for the LTZ interiors and both are very garish two tone leather designs. Black and orange or brown and yellowish-tan colored interior. Yikes!

Too bad you have to get the LTZ to get the 6-speed automatic with 4 cylinder.
    If I were to buy one, I'd probably get the 2LT with black suede interior (black seems to be the only monotone color choice available for any paint color or trim line) and hope the 4 cylinder 4-speed automatic was livable or else go for the V6 and hope I could live with the extra gas use.
    Maybe 2009 or 2010 the six speed automatic will completely replace the 4-speed or at least move down into the 4 cylinder 2LT.
    Let LS and 1LT bargain hunters and fleet buyers deal with the 4-speed/4 cylinder drivetrain combo.

A fully factory loaded (everything except engine block heater and dealer accessories) 2LT V6 MSRP stickers at about $25,495. Not sure if destination is included in that price.
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    What is the city/hwy/combined MPG of the V6?
  • Options
    17/26 for the V6 Malibu is kind of disappointing when the new, more powerful 2008 Accord with V6 gets 19/29.

The 4 cylinder Malibu is rated 22/30. Just a little better than a V6 Accord.
  • Options
    jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    17/26, that is sad. Are the domestic auto makers ever going to step up and address the mileage issues? Operating cost are a major part of ownership and with gas prices on a progressive march upward, mileage plays a big part of my buying decision.
  • Options
    It isn't quite as bad as it looks because it is the new 2008 method of rating, but the Accord manages much better than the Malibu under the same system.
    A 4 cylinder 6-speed Malibu might be a nice choice if it wasn't for the mandatory garish LTZ multi-color interiors required for that powertrain.