Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Negotiation Techniques when Leasing a Popular Vehicle

Resolute88Resolute88 Member Posts: 8
edited December 2020 in General
For those who want to lease a popular vehicle that is either a newly released model or one that sells quickly, how much leverage do you really have in negotiating down the total Cap Cost beyond the usual negotiation techniques?

In my case, I am hunting for the best deal on some popular compact SUV models across a few brands. Due to Covid, 2021 inventory isn't as prevalent as a typical year and what's on the lot sells quickly. I understand the MF/RVs, maximizing incentives, and negotiating doc fees and taxable items. If it were a less-popular car, I would find how long the car has been on the lot as a leverage chip, and time closing the deal on an off-day and end of the month to push for a bigger deal. If there aren't excessive add-ons to remove, is a 5% reduction unreasonable to ask? Is there even a snowballs chance at getting 10% off? While yes it never hurts to ask, I also don't want to push for a % off if the chances of success is small.

What are some good additional techniques to negotiate a lower cap cost of a popular vehicle?

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    Every vehicle and every manufacturer, and, heck, every dealer is different. It just isn’t as simple as a blanket number that covers everything.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,646

For those who want to lease a popular vehicle that is either a newly released model or one that sells quickly, how much leverage do you really have in negotiating down the total Cap Cost beyond the usual negotiation techniques?

In my case, I am hunting for the best deal on some popular compact SUV models across a few brands. Due to Covid, 2021 inventory isn't as prevalent as a typical year and what's on the lot sells quickly. I understand the MF/RVs, maximizing incentives, and negotiating doc fees and taxable items. If it were a less-popular car, I would find how long the car has been on the lot as a leverage chip, and time closing the deal on an off-day and end of the month to push for a bigger deal. If there aren't excessive add-ons to remove, is a 5% reduction unreasonable to ask? Is there even a snowballs chance at getting 10% off? While yes it never hurts to ask, I also don't want to push for a % off if the chances of success is small.

What are some good additional techniques to negotiate a lower cap cost of a popular vehicle?

The only thing I can suggest is go in on New Year’s Eve and make your pitch. If they need one more sale to make a bonus a miracle may happen. Otherwise a short inventory, popular car, they don’t have much incentive to be generous if the guy behind you will pay more.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Resolute88Resolute88 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks guys appreciate the replies.

@oldfarmer50 I may end up doing that or waiting until next months incentives come out, but definitely plan to hit it right at the end of the month.

@qbrozen I do realize every vehicle, dealership and deal is unique to its own factors, I guess my question was to see if there was anything else I was missing since I am searching for one of the most popular selling compact SUVs (CX-5, Rav4, Forester) out there. I don't want to waste my time pitching a lower price when the chances are next to zero of getting it and I'll be scoffed at for even offering a price thats insultingly low. If I were looking at an Audi RS5-R Sportback, the negotiation strategy would be much different from wanting a common popular Rav4.

Once I compile a few offers I will review them on the forums to get more feedback. Thanks again
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665

The only thing I can suggest is go in on New Year’s Eve and make your pitch. If they need one more sale to make a bonus a miracle may happen. Otherwise a short inventory, popular car, they don’t have much incentive to be generous if the guy behind you will pay more.
    That’s what I did about this time last year and scored a very significant discount (-$17K) on my current Stinger.

Best advice? Your best negotiation tools are your feet. Don’t walk in and NOT KNOW what you want to pay. You open yourself to the old “bump and grind” negotiation tactics.

Personally, I like to have my offer ready to go once I decide on a car (that doesn’t preclude me from pulling the trigger on the spot if it’s a car and deal that overwhelms me).

Purchase price+tax+ tags=out the door price. They can try to tack on the doc fees or dealer installed extras, etc. But, in the end, you can walk out at any time if you don’t agree with them.

I’ve walked out of the F&I office after a deal was agreed to when the dealership stated they were required by law to charge doc fees (not true).

Good luck!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934

Thanks guys appreciate the replies.

@oldfarmer50 I may end up doing that or waiting until next months incentives come out, but definitely plan to hit it right at the end of the month.

@qbrozen I do realize every vehicle, dealership and deal is unique to its own factors, I guess my question was to see if there was anything else I was missing since I am searching for one of the most popular selling compact SUVs (CX-5, Rav4, Forester) out there. I don't want to waste my time pitching a lower price when the chances are next to zero of getting it and I'll be scoffed at for even offering a price thats insultingly low. If I were looking at an Audi RS5-R Sportback, the negotiation strategy would be much different from wanting a common popular Rav4.

Once I compile a few offers I will review them on the forums to get more feedback. Thanks again

That's just it, though. Don't let 1 or even 9 dealers scoffing at you make you think you are doing something wrong. I could not possibly count the number of times I "insulted" a salesperson or GM/SM with my offer that another dealer accepted.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S