Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Ram Quad Cab

Comments

• Options
    indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    as opposed to transmissions, for example. While I don't own a RAM yet, my experience with two minivans and one 300M plus many hours on TH Chrysler/Dodge boards have not found any issues with reliability of motors. From what I see here, their V-8's have the same track record.
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    .........of earlier years were nearly bulletproof, the A727 being the best example. The smaller A904 was equally sturdy under more civil conditions. Chryusler even made a two-speed automatic with a planetary gearset that was actually more rugged than the A727. It was used in police and taxi fleets for years, up to I think the 1961 model year. They were so well built that they were used in Dodge meduim trucks (D300-600 series).

Not all of Chrysler's recent transmissions are bad either. Their smaller front-wheel drive 3-speed was pretty robust, its just that the transaxle wasn't. And I think the RE series is actually a good transmission, especially since the major upgrade to increase overdrive lubrication in '98.

They most certainly had problems with their first electronic 4-speed FWD transmission (can't remember the model designation for the moment).

Dusty
  • Options
    banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Can anyone tell me how the ram 1500 is rated for safety someone was telling me that they aren't as safety rated as cars we have a little one that would be sitting in the back seat on the quad and was curious?
  • Options
    I believe the Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab tested very well. Go to:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/NCAP/Cars/2002Pkup.html

Regards,

Dusty

• Options
    slick1ru2slick1ru2 Member Posts: 6
    The Insurance crash tests are tougher then the Government ones and the new Dodge body style does great.

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0128.htm

• Options
    chrobertschroberts Member Posts: 3
    Still haven't quite made up my mind which truck on my dealers lot I'll take. Only one of the Quad Cabs has limited-slip differential. This also happens to be the only one with the "free" 5.9 engine upgrade. How important is this? Are there any "drawbacks" to this? I'm a 4x4 rookie so bear with my ignorance. Thanks.
  • Options
    emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    chroberts,

if you live in a snowy climate or play in the mud alot...i'd say get the posi rear. i live in the northern plains and always opt for the limited slip. most of the time i don't even have to put the truck into 4wd because of this.

think about this...even in a 4wd truck (without posi) you still really only have 2wd...one front and one rear tire. and if they are both spinning you ain't gettin far. at least with a posi rear end you've got 2 rear tires grabbing for whatever they can bite into...plus the front one. so in essence you sorta have 3wd vs 2wd.
  • Options
    anyone (dusty) out there know who supplies the axles for the 1/2 ton ram? i know that american axle does for the 2500 and 3500...just wondering about the 1500. what peaked my interest in knowing this is that apparently american axle uses a different approach to limited slip. something to due with a helical gear instead of the usual clutch packs. apparently the new system virtually eliminates rear end shudder and chatter...
  • Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    The rear axle on the Ram is a 9.25" chrysler and the front is a Dana 44. I am not to sure who makes the limited slip but if I had to guess it would be Auburn gear. All limited slips have clutch packs if they have gears they become a locker. Clutch packs allow the differential to have 60/40 torque split between the axles, this make cornering much easier. Lockers use gears to split the torque 50/50.
  • Options
    lariat1,

i should have been more precise with my question. here is a cut and paste from car-truck.com. they are talking about the rear axle in the new '03 heavy duty dodges.

"The American Axle rear ends seem to be terrific. They include an interesting approach to limited slip: a torque-activated twisting worm gear rather than the Dana clutch packs."

i was just wondering if this axle and limited slip setup has made its way into the '03 1500? and can anyone verify that dodge is still using dana axles on the 1500? i was under the impression that they aren't...
  • Options
    tpeterso2tpeterso2 Member Posts: 2
    just wondering if anyone else is running into this. Am looking @ 2003 Quad Cab Ram 1500 SLT, 2WD, short bed w/ 4.7L V8 and auto tran.

Dealer is saying invoice includes ~$500 regional advertising fee?

Is this legit, getting quote for $26.4K with following options:
    M9 Premium Seat-Cloth
    AHC Trailer Tow
    CVN Storage - Fold flat
    24G Auto Transmission
    DMH Axle Ratio: 3.92
    DSA Limited Slip Rear Diff.
    GXM Keyless Remote
    SCV Leather Steering
    WPG Wheel - 20" x 9"
  • Options
    The advertising fee is legit but I found a way to get it back, I told the dealer that I would not buy my truck unless they either took all of their stickers that had the dealers name on them off the truck or they paid me to keep them on. In the end they gave me a $500 discount and on the next sunny day I removed the stickers myself. It worked for me so its worth a shot.
  • Options
    Well, since my new Dakota has the 9 1/4 inch rear limited slip axle, I actually crawled under mine to read the tags. The tag says "Chrysler 9 1/4". The hood and glove compartment equipment decals also say "Chrysler 9 1/4 inch axle."

Past Chrysler service manuals were very good about listing the manufacturer of the axle assembly. But I don't have mine yet.

I seem to recall reading that Chrysler returned to making their own 1/2 ton axles after seven years of getting bad units from American Gear. GM has used the American Gear axles in years past and they have also had a high failure rate (we've had two in our G20 and I know several others with pickups that failed).

I don't have any information on what Dodge is using in the RAM 3/4 and 1 ton units. I just did read something about this new "twisted worm drive" limited slip somewhere, but I thought it was identified with the new RAM heavy duties.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • Options
    went searching around the net tonight and found out that it appears dodge used only dana and chrysler axles on '94-'01 trucks. in the new '03 heavies the front and rear axles are built by american axle. but, i still can't find any info on who makes the 1500's front and rear axles...
  • Options
    332529421332529421 Member Posts: 1
    2000 Quad cab v10 plow pkg.all HD. Truck rides great/great ergonomics. Poor reliability. Have maintained a more aggressive maint. schedule than recommended. Most problems just poor mfg.quality/or poor vendors. 3 yrs. 49k here is my list .A/ 2 new sets of catalytic convertors B/New P/S pump C/New serpentine belt tensioner/D.New anti freeze resovoir( still leaking,poor cap design) E.New P/S gear box F. New rebuilt TRANSMISSION G. Transfer case leaking H.Repaired Trans and Transfer case just took it in again grinding under seat Ujoints or Transfer case. H. Mercury switch under hood not working.I. 2nd time to replace driver seat/Leather option side material split AGAIN WAITING 14 WKS. CLAIM A VENDOR PROBLEM I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A DAEWOO OR KIA.Door latches rear needed adjustment couldnt open. Over $8000.00 in warranty work. I think I will have to dump it at the warr. expire of 75ooo miles. Their Ram tough alright,Rammed up my xxx. Brother has a Ford going there next time. Couldnt get any worse. Cant operate a truck on a good engine alone.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that '94s to at least '97 half-tons used American Gear. I've been told that by several service people.

The current 9 1/4 rear axle appears to be made by Chrysler.

Dusty
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Well, technically several of those problems would have needed to occur before a year or 12K miles to be considered a lemon. Bad luck sounds more like it. My '01 cummins had new bearings and front pads replaced at 80k miles. Currently at 90k. I've been waiting on the slushbox to crap itself so I can justify putting in a stronger unit and bump my hp up even more. Surprised it's still in there as this truck typically see 14,000# on a regular basis.

I go back and forth between ford or dodge, and I've not noticed much difference reliability wise. My father-in-laws '99 F-350 has been great except for a clutch glitch right at first. My neighbors '98 F-250 has been a disaster; needed new auto-tranny, transaxle, front axles, and other stuff. I just buy whichever one happens to be more comfortable/drive better at the time I'm buying. Thinking F-450 Western Hauler at this time.

I don't know anyone that plows commercially with an automatic.
  • Options
    dusty,

check out this link...

http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/Ramspecs.htm

• Options
    Okay. Well, it seems to contradict several people that should be in the know about Dodges. What is especially puzzling is my wife's cousin's husband works for a company in Buffalo that does a lot of business for American Gear, and he seemed surprised when I told him that Chrysler was dropping them.

I don't know.

Dusty
  • Options
    stevbekstevbek Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my first Ram extended cab in 1996. Maybe I should have kept it. I just bought a new 2002 quad cab with the 360 and have become concerned about some really strange noises. When going from park to reverse when cold there is a whining sound in the transmission. Dealer says it is due to a valve and its design. The noise is made when fluid runs through the valve. discovered this in the '00's and 01' but not in the 02's yet. I had it replaced anyway but it still makes the noise. Second noise is a crackling sound (like stepping on a plastic cup)that only happens when going from park to reverse and only when cold or when the truck has set for a bit after being driven. It has gotten louder and has begun to make the noise when accelerating from a stop. On another note, my uncle a die hard dodge fan looked at my truck to try to figure out the noises and while under it noticed that the rear end had more than 3 degrees of rotation when shifting from park to drive. He says it is excessive. Is it?
  • Options
    This axle assembly is referred to as the "Chrysler 9 1/4" or "corporate" axle assembly because it is a Chrysler design that goes back around 40 years. Chrysler originally not only designed this axle, but built it as well. Over the years, however, Chrysler has elected to engage a vendor to build these for them for various reasons, including foundary space, supplemental supply, and cost.

I'm being told that TRW, Dana, and more recently, American Gear has provided vendor-supplied versions of the Chrysler-designed 9 1/4 axle assembly. I've gotten conflicting information on years, but there appears to be agreement that American Gear was first engaged in the 1994 model year.

Dusty
  • Options
    c01c01 Member Posts: 28
    It appears the decision makers at Daimler have had a positive influence on the bottom line at Chrysler, has anyone noticed any improvements in product quality?http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0210/29/b01-620802.htm
  • Options
    tenhorsetenhorse Member Posts: 2
    Supposedly, this combination is going to be available 'late' - whatever that means. Anyone know when I can order a 2500 4WD QC longbed with an HO Cummins and new 48RE heavy duty auto trans? Best advice on dealer with a great price? (We will drive almost anywhere west of the Mississippi) Even rumors are appreciated! Thanks!
  • Options
    tenhorse,

the timeline for the 48re stretches from january '03 all the way to next summer. so, who knows?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Last I heard they were delaying it until '04 models. You can always get the non-HO auto and it's not a big deal to bump the engine up to equal the HO and it's also not hard to have some beefed up components slammed into the tranny. Kits available if you're that desperate.
  • Options
    Talk to a dealer. They are taking "reserves" on the RAM 1500 with the new hemi. Maybe they'll consider the same for the Cummins. They probably won't be able to give you a price. But I suspect that if you tell them what you want they'll consider ordering it or something close, and when it comes in you can try to deal on it.

Of course, that could work against you as far as getting a good price.

Good luck,
    Dusty
  • Options
    tenhorsetenhorse Member Posts: 2
    Thank you all, for the input. Dave Smith Motors is taking deposits for this combo, but can't give even a vague idea of delivery. Today, I ordered a 2500 Quad Cab SLT LB 4x4 with regular Cummins and 47RE trans. We're going to do some mods to it after we get it, a little at a time. We'll probably start with a cold-air intake, a full exhaust system,a performance 'chip', and a shift-kit for the tranny. We'll get to injectors and a torgue converter later.
  • Options
    I would recommend getting the Bully dog performance chip and a set of EGT gages as your first power upgrade. If I remember right the chip is good for 350-400 hp and 600 lb-ft of torque. The EGT gages are necessary to keep an eye on everything so you dont burn up the engine.
  • Options
    jonbarleycornjonbarleycorn Member Posts: 1
    On my '99 2500 Cummins 5spd Quad, I have encountered a glitch. Out of the blue while interstate driving, the cruise hiccuped a second then resumed. As this happened the ABS & Brake light came on. After this, when I had stopped and since then. Anytime I am below 30mph the speedo does not work, along with the temp gage, odometer/trip meter and compass i.e if in the morning when I have started driving the compass indicates an incorrect direction if I have made turns below 30. Same for compass. Once above 30 it corrects itself. And one last observed anomaly. While turning left from a stoplight during a rainy evening with wipers on, the headlights went out-running lights worked. Once above 30, back on they came. Is there some type of malfunctioning computer on this vehicle? Or could it be a bad ground. No displays have gone out yet. As far as I can tell, nothing else is out. Thanks for help
  • Options
    Check for an open fuse, both the in-vehicle and engine compartment fuse blocks. Specifically, the "IOD" fuse, maybe.

Dusty
  • Options
    canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    I just read at the 'Buzz' site that the 1500 will soon be available with the new Hemi engine. Can anyone confirm [or deny] that?? I ask because THAT'S exactly the Ram I want and was quite disappointed when the Hemi was only avaible in the heavy-duty Ram's.

Thanks.
  • Options
    yep, it is finally being advertised by dodge. (media.daimlerchrysler.com) dealers are even able to put in orders for the 1500 with hemi. however i think for the time being you can only get an automatic (5-45rfe) with the hemi...no word on when a manual will be available.
  • Options
    ..........will not be available until "sometime later" in 2003. I've been informed that Chrysler intended on using an existing New Venture model currently used with GM and Chevrolet truck models (New Venture is a joint venture with GM) transmission, but testing indicated problems when coupled to the torque of the 5.7 engine.

Mid way through their 2003 design schedule they then realized that the new NV design for the 5.7 hemi (also to be used on GM truck lines) had some deficiencies. It was then too late to try to modify the earlier existing candidate for early 2003 production.

The only other option was to take torque and horsepower away. However, that would have meant cam, timing and fuel revision and the comensurate emissions recertification. While building a new cam profile could've been done in time for 2003 launch, testing and certification could not. Also, somebody at Chrysler decided that producing a lower horsepower/torque version in manual transmission would not necessarily be a popular or marketing-smart thing to do anyways.

Dusty
  • Options
    dusty,

i thought gm/chrysler came to splits on new venture gear and that now chrysler owns all of it...or vice versa...?
  • Options
    .......may have changed hands. The last I knew it was still a Chrysler/GM joint venture. I know that Chrysler and GM both use NV transmissions and transfer cases.

It's possible that -- like the old Rochester Products and Delco Rochester divisions that now make up Delphi, they've been sold off as independents.

Dusty
  • Options
    canadacraigcanadacraig Member Posts: 34
    I test drove a Hemi-powered Ram 2500 Quad-Cab yesterday. [Tuesday] All I can say is - WOW!! The sound of the Hemi is unbelievable. [it's like the sound-track from the movie 'Bullitt'] The rest of the truck was very impressive - too. The only concern I have [other than cost and gas mileage - of course] is SIZE. Is it difficult to park [like in a shopping mall parking lot] and CAN it squeeze under most apartment garage doors, etc.? If I bought one - I'd go [probably] for a Quad-Cab 1500 2WD with the 5-speed automatic. I'd like to have the sport appearance package and the 20" wheels. I'd also want the power driver's seat, limited slip rear axle and the best stereo. [are there any other options I 'should' want??] I'd be trading in a 2001 Jeep TJ Sport. [that's a 'Wrangler' for my American friends] The major difference between what I'm driving NOW and the Ram of my dreams - is SIZE. [and it worries me] It's obviously very easy to drive [as I found out] but does the size BECOME a problem?? [a 'BIG' problem - if you know what I mean]

Thanks
    Craig!! :o)
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I'm very interested in seeing the MPG ratings for the 5.7 when it arrives. They will need to be posted on the 1500 as opposed to the 2500/3500 series. Shall we start a pool? I'll say (with the 5 sp auto) 13city/17highway...
  • Options
    scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    in the 1500 Hemi versus the 2500 Hemi, other than the obvious of weight and carrying capabilities. I just ordered a 2500 Hemi a couple of days ago, although if the 1500 had been available I might have opted for it. I don't tow or haul heavy loads a lot, but it's nice to have the ability to when I need to. Just wondering if I should have waited :)
  • Options
    jason,

i think you are spot on with the mpg...especially highway. dodge claims a 10% improvement over the old 360. the 360 4x4 quad is 16 highway. so that would make the hemi either 17 or maybe 18 if you round up. makes one really wonder why anyone would want the 4.7l when it prolly doesn't get any better mileage than the hemi??
  • Options
    chrobertschroberts Member Posts: 3
    I'm close to buying my Ram 1500 Quad 4X4. Any advice on whether higher octane is recommended for the Hemi or does it run just fine on Regular? I was about to buy the 5.9 because of the great deal at the dealership (free upgrade from the 4.7) but maybe I'd be better off with the Hemi anyway.
  • Options
    dodge says mid grade is preferred but regular grade is acceptable for the hemi...
  • Options
    twinscrewtwinscrew Member Posts: 53
    It was a rainy saturday and I happened by my local Dodge dealer. My '02 half ton quad cab 4X4 isn't a year old yet, but curiosity got the best of me. The truck that I drove was like mine only 3/4 ton and hemi equipped. It had some kind of after market add on package (Regency?) that included an extremely loud exhaust. My kids would have liked it, but the exhaust notes got old with me quick. I don't mind hearing the exhaust upon acceleration, but think that it ought to shut up when in the cruise mode. This one never shut up.

The truck handled about as you would expect going from half to three quarter ton. The engine moved it around effortlessly. The trans/engine combo was a bit of a let down though. The trans in my half ton seems to be programmed the same way that I am. It shifts when I think that it should and I don't even notice it any more. When you want to accelerate in a hurry, the downshifts are immediate and the motor is right there. The hemi, on the other hand, has a noticeable hesitation between the time that you stomp the accelerator the downshift occurs and the hemi takes over. When it does wake up, it goes rather well. It might have been a problem with the particular truck that I drove or maybe that add on package included a re programmed trans. Made me think that a half ton with a short throw 5 speed would be a lot of fun though.

I did run both my truck and the hemi on a measured course to check the mileage difference. It was about five miles in two directions that included some mild hills. Both trucks had 3.73 gears and similar sized tires I believe. I ran the course with the cruise set at 60 mph. My truck probably had 500 lbs of tools and equipment and possibly 30 lbs of dirt and mud added to it. Mine averaged a little better than 18 and the hemi around 14.5. Maybe the hemi would have done a little better after break in. I'm still waiting for mine to break in. It has 42,500 on it now. Same mileage now as when new.

My truck sits pretty high, but that 3/4 ton is up there. With the same size tires, it's at least four inches taller. You're really looking down at most of the world riding around in that truck. Might not fit in some garages.
  • Options
    scotthemiscotthemi Member Posts: 27
    the 545RFE transmission has the learning capabilities, I think, which as I understand it, will make the shift points fit your driving style. So, maybe that will change how the Hemi reacts. Also, isn't the throttle electronic? Maybe that makes a difference too.

I test drove one and noticed that it acted similar to what you noticed. It doesn't always feel like it's pulling as hard as it is. If you look at the speedo it seems to get up there pretty quick. I tested flooring it and it felt great when it got up into the higher rpm levels. Even squalled the tires on dry pavement without trying.

Anyway, It was enough to convince me. I've ordered one and can't wait to get it.
  • Options
    twinscrew on my recent test drive i also noticed the time lag between pedal to the metal and downshifts with the hemi powertrain. could be lots of torque management going on to help keep the tranny from shredding to bits???

anyway, i also felt that the tranny was almost too smooth and syrupy and it kinda took away some of the urgency i expected while driving a 345 hp machine. hopefully the tranny would learn faster and snappier shifts overtime such that the hemi will feel awake!
  • Options
    bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    I've never owned a Dodge truck before, but drove a repo'd 3500 with diesel, manual, and 153,000 miles on it the other day. The engine still sounded great but it was soon going to need a clutch and third gear would grind every time you went there. I also know of a farmer who uses Dodges with the diesel, had one with 231,000 miles on it totalled in an accident, and was lamenting the fact he lost a good truck. Then you see a few that people get rid of them at relatively low miles--20,000 or so, which may be nothing more than buying a product that is too large to handle comfortably, or needs changing after it was bought. The local Dodge service manager says they have only had two go bad, one that blew a freeze plug and ran hot, the other lost its oil somehow and did the same. Could I get some input from those of you out there with the diesel and manual transmission as to longevity and durability of engine and transmission, including clutch, on the 3500 series? I need something to pull cow trailers with that can also be used as a family vehicle.
  • Options
    I know of several 10+ year old manual transmissions behind Cummins engines that have failed. Can't comment on the newer ones. I do know that the older ones were expensive to fix. Maybe someone can guide you to a site where the experts can be a little more specific.

The engines as far as I know are pretty much bullet proof. I've got two in ag tractors and 3 more powering irrigation wells. These engines are used in a myriad of ag, industrial, and marine applications that make powering a pickup seem like easy duty. I've never had any major failures in these engines and have never heard of any problems in the pickup trucks that I have been around. I think that you could use the same engine to wear out at least two trucks before you had major engine problems. Providing, of course, good maintenance practices were followed.
  • Options
    bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    That is about what I've found. The engines are like a rock, but I have heard all the manufacturers have had problems with automatic transmissions handling a diesel's torque. GM has a new Allison automatic transmission available at a pretty substantial additional cost but I've heard of problems with it as well, apparently mainly concerning the programming rather than failure of the transmission itself.

I checked with the local Dodge place's service manager on the repo I drove and he said the grinding third on the truck I was looking at was probably a synchronizer and fixing one of those plus putting a new clutch in it would run at least $2,000.00. Just the clutch for the diesel was $900.00+. He also knew this truck, a 1996 SLT with five speed, and said the only thing they had done to it was put a clutch in it, which means in some six years it had used up three clutches. Of course, he also knew the owner was rough on equipment, so that may well not have been the truck's fault.

What brand ag equipment are you using that has the Cummins in them? We will be needing a farm tractor before long and I am interested in the longevity of them, as well. We probably don't need tractors of over 65 horsepower, or so.

Thanks for your input, and I invite anyone else familiar with Dodge to provide yours, too.
  • Options
    goldberg245goldberg245 Member Posts: 3
    WE JUST GOT OUR NEWER TRUCK....2000 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT LARIAT SB 4X2 5.9L(360) LOOKING TO DO SOME AUDIO UPGRADES(TRANFERING NEW ALPINE SYSTEM OVER. I AM LOOKING FOR SUB WOOFER IDEAS.
    THE BOX I HAD IN THE CARAVAN IS JUST TOO HIGH TO FIT UNDER THE BACK SEAT(THE HUMP)I NEED MY BOOM BOOM HAHAHA.GOT SOME OTHER IDEAS FROM THIS SIGHT ALREADY.
  • Options
    Bmaige,
    Case IH used these engines in their MX 100 thru MX 170 tractors. PTO horsepower ratings from 85 to around 145. I think they made them from the mid '90's thru '01. Their replacement series for this size tractor uses a different engine (maybe Perkins). Don't know if any other tractor maker used this engine or possibly the 4B Cummins. The 4B would be more in your HP range and is simply a 6B less two cylinders.
  • Options
    I found this at:

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/nafl/auto/content/atf.shtm#atf34

"ATF+3® /ATF+4®

DaimlerChrysler has had their own ATF specifications for many years, but as of 1997, Chrysler owners' manuals no longer list DEXRON as an acceptable replacement. ATF+3 is a readily available mineral oil-based ATF that is suitable in any application calling for ATF PLUS® , ATF+2® , or a Type 7176® fluid. Vehicles manufactured after 1999 require ATF+4® , a synthetic-based ATF only available through DaimlerChrysler."

I have talked to one transmission shop that told me that Chrysler ATF+4 was used by them in Ford truck transmissions to cure torque converter shudder. Interestingly, a fellow worker told me the other day that his 2000 F150 had such a problem and that his Ford dealer installed Chrysler ATF!!!

The above seems to say that ATF+4 is a synthetic material, but I suspect that it also contains some sort of friction modifier. It also implies that ATF+4 is only available through Chrysler.

Dusty

This discussion has been closed.