Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Sierra: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    gmboy1gmboy1 Member Posts: 7
    Actually I had my neighbor get it for $8.00; GM wants $24.00. The discrepancy maybe due to the pan being off and the external filter off at the same time, It may have lost some from the Torque converter, which is fine with me. But again, it took 9.75 quarts to hit the middle of the HOT mark. The truck was on level ground. The internal filter is similar to most internal filters, GM Part Number is: 29537965. I am just anal when it comes to maintenance, even preventative, I change oil and filter every 3,000, the external trans every 6,000, the fuel filter every 15,000. I would rather send a little money now than get stuck on the road somewhere. It's cheap insurance.
    Bob
  • Options
    geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    You wouldn't happen to have a remote starter ????????
  • Options
    You probably have an answer to this, but I own a 2000 1500 w/5.3. All I do when I change the filter is to loosen the fittings and let the pressure bleed off, then R & R the filter.
  • Options
    Dave,
    Where did you find the capacities for the trans, I looked all through my owners book and the supplement for the Diesel and did not find it. Just curious ?
    Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    leggettleggett Member Posts: 2
    99 GMC Sierra- On initial start up, I get a red brake light and ABS light on instrument panel. Brakes appear to be working normally and can reset the lights by cycling the ignition switch w/ engine running. The dealer offered to repair for 1,000 dols- i declined and was able to determine the fault code from the scan tool was 0265 -"EBCM relay circuit open." Does this really require the replacement of the entire electro-hydraulic control unit- since i have found i cant just replace the EBCM? Or is there another fix i can attempt since it's a "relay circuit open"? What kind of job is it to replace the EHCU if i have to go that route? T
  • Options
    noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Bob,
    You might be confusing the Owner's Manual with the Shop Manual. I bought the five volume Shop Manual when I bought my truck. In checking the Owner's Manual I couldn't find it there either. If you get hold of a S.M. it's in two places: Under "Maintenance and Lubrication", Page 0-39, and "Automatic Transmission - Allison", Page 7-676.
    You sound like a kindred spirit on maintenance. But I have to confess falling down on the job lately (time). Still, I seldom ever go 4K between oil changes. Thanks for the info.

-David

BTY- In case you're interested, here's the source for the Shop Manual for your truck. You sound like a prime candidate. Worth every penny.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=&Mfg=GMC&Make=GMC&Model=SIER&Year=2003&Catego- - - - - ry=1&Keyword=&Module=&mscsid=TNA8LH649SMA9M63K3X3RBT5QT4B9L9D
  • Options
    jlopezjlopez Member Posts: 1
    How do I replace the fuel filter in my 2001 GMC Sierra Z71 pickup with a 5.3 liter engine. I can't seem to find where the fuel filter is and I am wondering what tools I will need. The owner's manuel has not mention as to where the fuel filter is and how to change it.
  • Options
    carp2carp2 Member Posts: 3
    the fuel filter is right under the drivers side door. it is tucked up inside the frame. all you need for tools is a 15mm or 17mm wrench i think its been a month or so since i changed mine. its easier to see if you look from the passenger side first under the door and look across to the drivers side. its in the frame. good luck
  • Options
    Problem:
    When you put the truck in reverse while the car is running or not, the starter engages. Anyone aware of this problem or the solution? Maybe the neutral safety wiring @ the trans shift linkage? Any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    David,
    would have no problem purchasing it, could you give me the actual part numbers from the manuals. The site you sent me to does not explain whether ic contains all the diesel and Allison information, or do I need both of these:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado GMC Sierra and Denali Alternate Fuel Supplement
    Price: $30.00 In Stock
    (English, Paper, GMT03CK8AF)

Qty
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado GMC Sierra And Sierra Denali Service Manual
    Price: $135.00 In Stock
    (English, Paper, GMT03CK8PU)

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    weelsweels Member Posts: 33
    Thats a nasty little deal right there. I would check the wiring harness that comes up the steering column for a short between the two circuits or between the starter wire and the shift linkage. I've had vehicles in the past with tilt steering that would get a wiring problem. Usually they were high mileage vehicles that did that. I'm surprised to see an '02 with that problem. Hope this helps. If I had a manual I could tell you the color wires, but I ain't got one. Sorry.
    Good luck - let us know what it turns out to be OK?
    - Tim
  • Options
    Bob;
    The number on my book is, GMT/02-CK8PU-1 for a 2002 truck, looking very much like your second listing is the right choice. I don't think the Alternative Fuel Supplement has anything to do with diesel. My manuals have extensive material on diesel and Allison. Shipping took about a week to California. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

-David
  • Options
    doc14doc14 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 gmc sierra hd, and i have the same problem. The engine is running great, then suddenly stall. After 5 minutes it's start back. The engine light doesn't comes on.

Since you had quite the same problem, did you find a solution or the cause of this problem.

Thank you!
  • Options
    fishinggodfishinggod Member Posts: 2
    Can a "normal" person replace the brake control module on a 91 GMC Sierra? My Brake light stays on (about half as bright as when the parking brake is engaged)and the dealer service man says the Brake Control Module needs replacing. He says that eventually the ABS will not work when the module fails completely. He also tried to scare me and tell me that the brakes will fail when the module fails completely, but I didn't buy that story. Any thoughts? Thanks
  • Options
    campitellicampitelli Member Posts: 1
    1998 GMC Z71 Sierra. Has fuel and spark no start. Replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, and ignition module. It has 60lbs fuel pressure. Removed cap and wires. Inspected rotor and cap no moisture. Parts are in excellent condition. Timing is at factory setting. Any suggestions?????
  • Options
    edsviewedsview Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE. I really enjoy my truck but have noticed that the door handles, mirrors, tailgate handle, black trim on rear bumper and the grill have all started to "weather" and look several years older than the rest of the truck. These surfaces are unpainted. Is there any long term cure besides painting these pieces to keep them looking good?
  • Options
    cacksalotcacksalot Member Posts: 2
    ia am having the same problem if you find anything out let me know thanks
  • Options
    cacksalotcacksalot Member Posts: 2
    My 91 gmc 1500 is having some problems i have replaced the fuel pump fuel filter checked the battery wires fuel injectors and everything else yet it still dies on me whwn i get it started, and thats if i even get it started any suggestions please.
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    There is a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant that will restore the black plastic to like new condition. It won't harm the paint and you can use it on the dash and many other plastic or vinyl surfaces. Plus it contains no silicone and offers UV protection. You'll need to apply it about once a month, but it does the job and you won't need several different products to detail your truck. You can find 303 at RV/Marine supply stores and I think some auto stores carry it now, or you can always order it online also.
  • Options
    gmctruckgmctruck Member Posts: 186
    Did you check the coil? Is the EGR valve sticking? It's hard to remote diagnose, but you just have to check out one system at a time until you find the problem.
    It might be worth it to buy a Haynes manual to help you with diagnostic testing
    so you don't waste money buying parts you don't really need.
  • Options
    Do you know for sure that the injectors are indeed squirting? I haven't dealt with this on a vortec yet, but my older throttle body truck did that and it ended up being a fuse or relay for the injectors. I had fuel pressure and all, but they wouldn't squirt.
    No trouble codes eh?
    - Tim
  • Options
    fochfoch Member Posts: 4
    2000 GMC 2500 6.0L - On occasion when cold starting I insert the key into the ignition and attempt to start the truck and there is no power or voltage to any device in the truck - totally black. After removing the key and re-inserting it and trying again, some dash lights flicker and after another attempt or so finally the head lights and all other devices appear to work and the truck starts. Usually associated with this is tough starting and the need to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep the truck running. After idling for a while I can shut the truck off and let sit for a minute and re-start the truck with no problem. I also have the typical GMC fuel gauge problem but a new battery seem to have helped with this. Any help would be most appreciated.
  • Options
    All my gm trucks have done that through the years when we have a Brutal cold morning like 30 below or so. My '04 hasn't had a morning like that yet here in upper NY. Where are you from? I used to put a coolant heater in the lower hose and plug 'em in for the night if we expected a night like that. I seem to remember the brand name of "katz"? Also I would turn the headlights on for a few seconds, put the key to on and wait a little before cranking it. They used to have the electric dipstick heater which I would avoid. I have a heavy duty magnet with a heater that you stick on the block if there's room for it. The '05 oil pan is aluminum so you can't use it there. Of course there's always the factory block heater if your truck was so equipped. Its a drag that winter's almost here again.
    - Tim
  • Options
    slindemslindem Member Posts: 1
    This one has got me puzzled. My 1995 GMC Sierra SL truck will die when I open the hood. It will also not start with the hood up. A few details that go along with this problem include; lights dim during braking and when turn signals are activated, during braking charging system very close to the negative red zone.
    I have replaced the battery and alternator, to no avail (I hate throwing parts at a problem).
    Initially believed I had a bad hood light, so I disconnected it and then the truck would not start till I hooked it up again.
    So I guess my question is, do I have a bad ground thats causing all these problems? And if so, how in the world do I find it?
    thanks
  • Options
    sortboysortboy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD. I am installing a snow plow and am told that I can not hook the snow plow lights up by tapping into the the wiring. I am told that I have to buy a module to control the plow lights. The computer and day time running lights will screw up if I tap in. One plow dealer said that GMC had used a positive grounding system but had problems with it and switched back to neg. ground.????? I never herd of that. Does anyone have info on this?
  • Options
    Definately a short or short to ground. Persaverance is all I can say, start tracing all the circuits effected one by one from load to source till you find it. An ohm meter will help out a lot. Good luck.
    - TC
  • Options
    What kind of plow?

Does your truck have the VYU plow prep. option?
    If so GM has quick connect and ready to tap install connectors in all
    of its full size pickups............

Go to http://www.gmupfitter.com publications-pg.27 for
    full wiring schematics, pics. etc...................

NOTE: GM uses pos. ground on the power door locks ONLY !
    The module is used for remote starter applications because of
    this...........

Unless its a Western/Fisher plow........They use a module in the truckside
    wiring circuit that controls the lights. It is also neg. ground.
    They used to use a 6 fuse set up.

A aftermarket plow light brand should wire right in tho.................

Shoot me your e-mail.....I can direct you to someone who can help.
  • Options
    sortboysortboy Member Posts: 3
    The plow is a diamond plow, made by meyers. It's an older model. The plow lights are the same as the Boss plow lights.
    No I do not have the VYU option.

I had a 94 GMC and I wired after market plow lights to it. I had a toggle switch to switch from plow lights to truck lights. After I got my new truck I was talking with a plow dealer and he told me that if I don't have a plow light wiring module and if I tap into the lights that it will screw up the computer, day time running lights and the truck will not run correctly. Oh yes he has one and will sell it to me for a meer $350.00. I have a wiring diagram and I do not have a problem with tapping into the light wiring as long as I know that it will not mess up the truck.
  • Options
    I took the truck to the dealer today and had Mr. Goodwrench take it for a spin with me. They ended up replacing the intermediate steering shaft ( right out of the boot at the firewall) I took it out in the field (thats where I always hear the noise) and so far - so good. They covered it under warranty.
    - TC
  • Options
    edsviewedsview Member Posts: 2
    Hello again everyone. Just an update for all interested. The plastic trim, i.e.; door handles, tailgate handle and bezel, tailgate cap, mirrors, etc. on my 04 Sierra was looking very weathered although I cleaned and applied a plastic/vinyl protectant frequently. I have been experimenting with an old broken (the clips) tailgate handle bezel that I painted with Krylon 'Fusion' plastic paint. This piece has been on my truck for about a month, the shine remains and the surface does not get that weathered look that all the other plastic trim pieces on the truck develop after a few mornings of dew and/or rain nor do I have the problem of streaks on the paint from the protectant running washing down the sides of the truck. Additionally, you can get wax on the trim now and it comes right off without leaving that white shadow in the plastic that seems to never come off. I plan on painting all the trim on the truck with this paint in the near future, even the new tailgate bezel that will replace the broken one.
    P.S. Krylon 'Fusion' is available in multiple colors, I used black!
  • Options
    SORT............The reason for the module is to eliminate the seperate
    switch to operate the plow lights..................

I don't see why you couldn't wire the plow lights thru a seperate switch.

Check out http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums The plowguys over there
    can help ya out......................
  • Options
    fishinggodfishinggod Member Posts: 2
    Guys, can't anyone help me here? See my post #1182. I have lost my brake lights now, so I need to replace the Antilock Brake Control Module really soon. I just need to know if it is something an average person can do, or does the computer need to be reset after changing out the BCM, as a repairman told me.
    thanks for the help.
  • Options
    FISH...........Your brake lights are not controlled thru the anti-lock
    brake module. Did you check the brake light switch (on steering
    column) and fuses?

Note there is a company that was posted around here that sells
    remanufactured ABS units for a reasonable price. It was posted
    on one of the 'Rado/GMC threads here..........Will look and post
    when I find it.
  • Options
    old_sailorold_sailor Member Posts: 4
    When I am in 4WD I hear a grinding noise whenever I make a right hand turn and the brakes make a grinding noise. None of this happens when I am in 2WD. Any suggestions?
    The local dealership mechanics just scratch their heads and have yet to come up with any kind of solution.
  • Options
    fochfoch Member Posts: 4
    I'm up in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, OR) so winters are not that bad. Since I have replaced the battery the problem has not occured again. I'll wait and see when cold weather hits.

Thanks for the reply. Foch.
  • Options
    mhggmcmhggmc Member Posts: 1
    I bought my self a 1996 sierra 1500 earlier this year when i bought it it was in great shape a few weeks ago it started making banging sounds so I took it to my local auto hoby shop and dropped the oil pan so as to chek the rod bearings. lo and behold the bearings were the problem and were just about to spin. i check my crankshaft and found that it was also mangled beyond repair. my truck came stock with a 4.3L V6 but now i want to drop in a 5.7L V8. i found one for a good price and was wondering which parts would be compatible between the engines. I know the trans. will work for the 5.7 but i want to know a bout the fly wheel. all help will be appreciated
    -Matt
  • Options
    mikeo4mikeo4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 GMC with a 350. When the night is damp or it rains It may take several attempts to start and then it will run fine. At times it will not start until I get home after a dry day and it starts right up. It always turns over fine. I replaced the cap and rotor but it happen again. Wires are about 3 years 50,000 old. (Some one mentioned a "pick-up coil" that may be in the distributor. Is that valid.) Anything else? I had the fuel pump and filter replaced about 100,000 miles ago. Again it just to be when it's damp outside.
  • Options
    When I had the same problem with my old truck, I had to change out the plug wires and the distributor cap. Since you have already changed the cap. I would replace the plug wires. And if the fuel filter is 100,000 miles old, you might want to replace that while you are at it. I don't know about the pickup coil, but since you are replacing the rest, you might as well replace that as well.
  • Options
    suswomansuswoman Member Posts: 1
    Help! The driver side window will not raise up. After taking the door apart I found the cable that operates the window snapped in two. Is it possible to do a temporary fix, until I can raise the funds to take the truck to the shop? Or, is it possible for me to buy and replace the cable myself?
    Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    You can replace the window cable yourself, but it can be tricky. I would suggest going to your local wrecking/salvage yards and finding a similar truck with the door and window intact, then either watch as the salvage yard employee takes the cable from the door, or better yet, get permission to remove it yourself. This will give you a better idea of how it should go into your own truck door.
    I hope this helps.
  • Options
    runtuffruntuff Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Denali's coolant light came on during a long trip. I stopped and added some coolant from a local AutoPalace store. Now people are telling me I should have used a special GMC grade coolant. Do I need to flush the system? Is it ok to mix coolants??
  • Options
    The only thing I can find in the Shop Manual is this on Page 6-1475 under, " Draining and Filling Cooling System".

" Notice: When adding coolant, use Dex-Cool coolant. If silicated coolant is added to the system, premature engine, heater core, or radiator corrosion may result. In addition, the engine coolant will require change sooner - at 50,000 km (30,000 mi) or 24 months."

I can't tell you what is meant by "silicated". Regardless, I doubt if your facing imminent failure. Personally though, I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

-David
  • Options
    joeobjoeob Member Posts: 1
    I've got a problem with the brakes on my 2001 GMC Sierra. Whenever I'm coming to a rolling stop in traffic or on a parking lot, the brake pedal seizes up and I have two choices: push down really hard and hope that the brakes catch or take my foot off the pedal and put it back down again. Sometimes the second choice totally fixes the problem, but other times the pedal is still stiff and I have to push down really hard to get the brakes to work. I've had it in the shop twice and they can't find anything wrong with it; they took off the wheels and checked the brake pads and even put on new ones, but the problem persists. I'm a pussycat when it comes to the brakes - I never slam down on them and always apply pressure gradually. This is really driving me crazy - I feel like I'm playing Russian Roulette with my brakes. And oh yeah, the vehicle is no longer under warranty. Any help appreciated.
  • Options
    gmcjoegmcjoe Member Posts: 11
    It sure sounds like you have the low-speed anti-lock brake activation issue. I've already received my notiice for my 2000 Sierra, but fixed it myself awhile ago. It used to drive me crazy!

Summary:
    CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE UNWANTED ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) ACTIVATION. THIS CONDITION IS MORE LIKELY TO OCCUR IN ENVIRONMENTALLY CORROSIVE AREAS. THIS RECALL WILL BE LAUNCHED IN THE "SALT BELT" STATES OF CONNECTICUT, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT AND WEST VIRGINIA ONLY.
    Consequence:
    THIS CAN CAUSE INCREASED STOPPING DISTANCES DURING LOW-SPEED BRAKE APPLICATIONS, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
    DEALERS ARE TO REMOVE THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR AND THOROUGHLY CLEAN THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR MOUNTING SURFACE ON THE BEARING, APPLY ZINC-X (RUST INHIBITOR) TO THE CLEANED SURFACE, GREASE THE MOUNTING SURFACE, REINSTALL THE WHEEL SPEED SENSOR, AND CHECK THE PEAK-TO-PEAK OUTPUT VOLTAGE TO ENSURE THE WHEEL SPEED SIGNAL IS WITHIN SPECIFICATIONS. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED AN OWNER NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.
    Notes:
    GM RECALL NO. 05068. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.
  • Options
    swaney2swaney2 Member Posts: 1
    A couple of months ago i bought a 2002 gmc 2500hd and I really enjoy it. It has the 6.0 vortec engine in it. One day i decided to see what it had and powerbraked it and boy did it smoke the tires on it. I have had a lot of play toys before that I smoked tires with but when I did it in the truck the tires literally came apart. Why DO you think this happened?
  • Options
    19gmc9819gmc98 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 GMC SIERRA. With a 5.7L Vortec V-8. I have been having a problem with it not starting up as i turn the key. It cranks for a while and then when i let off and then turn it over again, it will fire off. Just recently it has got an even worse problem that i cannot figure out at all. It absolutly will not fire off at all when i turn the key over. The only way to get it to start is by taking the air box off the top of the throttle body and pouring a little bit of fuel down the throttle body, then when turing to key over it will start. Otherwise without pouring that fuel in it will not start. Then once it is started i can drive it for hours even hundreds of mile without any problems. but once it sits over night or more then a half hour, i must pour fuel into the throttle body to get it to start. And the injectors were brand new as of 8/30/05. This is a serious problem that i need to figure out and get fixed, and i am without a guess as to what it is. I would greatly appreciate it someone could help me. Thank you very much!!
  • Options
    It sounds to me like you have a partial fuel line blockage, most likely at the point where the fuel line meets the throttle body. If I were you I would have the mechanic who installed the new injectors check to see if he didn't accidentally cause the blockage. It should still be under warranty if the work was done at a reputable shop. It wouldn't hurt to check the fuel filter while you are at it.
  • Options
    19gmc9819gmc98 Member Posts: 2
    If i had a partial fuel line blockage, would it run fine when it is started??? Because as soon as i get it started it runs fine, good power, doesnt run rough, or sputter. Do you think i may have a low fuel pressure issue??
  • Options
    4wheelin4wheelin Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem... since I bought my 04 1500 .. i figured this was just the way it was factory... so I always put it on defrost. Have you found a solution?
  • Options
    fisherman2fisherman2 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 03 1500 Sierra SLE 4x2 purchased from local dealer.I have brought the truck there for all services since new.Last week when I brought truck in for regular oil change they told me I needed a Steering Shaft,and an inner tie rod.They gave me an estimate for 525.After going home and thinking about it I called GM and told them my issue.I have just hit 42,000 so was out of warranty.They called the dealership,and the dealership agreed to fix it for 100 under Goodwill Policy.
    I am also having them fix another strange problem with this truck.When truck was about 2 weeks old,I pulled into driveway and when I closed the door I heard something hit the ground.It looked like a louvered 4x10 plastic filter.I took it back to dealer and inquired what exactly fell off my truck.Supposedly this baffle,or whatever you want to call it stops your windows from shattering if you close the doors too quickly.They ordered a new one and supposedly changed it.Every time we had a good downpour here I would have water laying in back of cab on side where this "baffle" fell out.I don't think they ever replaced it because it,because accroding to the dealer the bed had to be removed.Anyway they are going to fix this problem as well.
    I've also had the tailgate adjusted 3x's,finally getting it right after the third time.For the money,GMC is not the Professional Grade it claims to be.I've had trucks for almost 20 years and after this is fixed,I'm trading it in and buying either a Toyota or Nissan.I know people like to keep buying American,but I've finally had it.They are built like crap,and don't hold their value.Just look at the interior of a GMC and then go look at a rice burner,there is a big difference in quality.
    After a little over 2 years with this truck,i've lost my confidence in it.The engine seems great 5.3,but the rest of the truck will fall apart around the engine. :lemon:
This discussion has been closed.