Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 GT AWD Questions

albanesealbanese Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Hi,

My wife and are pretty close to buying a CX-7 AWD Grand Touring. So far I have avoided dealerships (apart from a test drive) and gotten quotes online, but I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone here could answer.

1. AWD GT w/ Tech Package, Sirius, Wheel Locks and Moonroof Deflector. Edmunds' TMV says $32,783, but I've seen better deals in the deal thread. I have a quote for $30,502 including destination charge. Fees are an additional $290. Is this a good price for Northern NJ? And does anyone have a recommendation for NJ Mazda dealerships?

2. Can the side mirrors fold in? When I went for a test drive I forgot to test this.

3. Does anyone know who makes the Nav software or what sat system they use? I'm also curious about the points of interest - are there a lot? And are they limted to generic terms like food or gas? I know you can't enter text while driving so I was curious about how it works in practice. The Mazda site doesn't have much information about the system (unless I missed it).

Thanks

Comments

• fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Doesn't sound like a bad deal. Paid $28,350.00 + TT+L for AWD GT w/compass mirror, package tray, rear bumper guard. Minneapolis, Mn. The dealer said that the technology package would add about $2000 to that price. Believe the side morrors do fold in. Can't tell you anything about the tech package because didn't get it. Can tell you that after 3000+ miles, no issues besides the replacement gas cap. Mileage has been about "as advertised" on the window sticker at 18 city.Drove in a snow storm on Sunday and winter handling with the AWD was excellent.
  • cxrabbitcxrabbit Member Posts: 134
    1. Sounds like a good price. I paid $29,940 for FWD with Tech Package, Satellite, Remote Start and Preferred Equipment Package. She told me it would be $1250 more for AWD, which would have been $31,190. Considering you're not getting Sirius or Remote Start, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me!

2. YES, according the manual. I haven't actually tried it.

3. Nav software is by Navteq. Don't know what satellite system. POI's seem decent, but I wouldn't say they are completely up to date. There are lots of different categories. You can narrow food down by type (like "italian food"). It covers ATMs and shopping and groceries and museums, and quite a lot of other cateogires.

Desination where you type in the address you have to pull over to do.

If you are driving you can use voice commands. For example, say "I'm hungry" and restaurants will come up. I keep mine with POIs showing always, by default.

If you have a destination set and run into traffic you can say "detour" and it will change the route to go another way.

You can also set preset destinations. Then while driving you can say "preset destination 1" and it will map a route from you current location to whatever you have preset destination 1 set to. You can also set a home point. So say "go home" and it will map a route to your home from where ever you are.

I've been pretty happy with the system so far. Apparently, updates will come from either Navteq or Mazda in the future.
  • nmknmk Member Posts: 111
    I have everything mentioned less the sirus and your price seems fair. If you want a great handling vehicle with a splash of dash (both stylistically and zoom) then you would be hard pressed to do better for less than an added $5,000. :)
    Tech system is a reall safety feature if you live in an area with lots of children. Nav features are not the greatest, but may improve with an upgrade from Mazda.

I miss my CX-7 greatly as I am now in New Zealand for more time than I had planned. :cry:

Good luck.
    NMK
  • vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    The mirrors DO NOT fold in!!!

According to Mazda, NAVTEQ makes the mapping software, however, the NAVTEQ website makes no mention of supporting CX-7 and in an email I receive from them, they deny supporting the CX-7. I imagine this discrepancy will be resolved in the future.

The map software, i.e the POIs, is less ambitious than other nav systems I've used. In northern VA, if I were to search for Target (the dept store) or Best Buy, virtually none of those stores are listed. By contrast, NAV systems sold by Fujitsu-Ten, have tons of listings. Notably, there are extensive listings for food and gas. Just seems to be the focus of NAVTEQ designers. Other than that, the NAV system works well. You can't enter search data while in motion, but you can while stopped at a traffic signal, etc.

Vince.
  • albanesealbanese Member Posts: 8
    Are you sure about the mirrors not folding in? I downloaded the CX-7 manual and it tells you how to do it.

Thanks for the info on the Nav system. Its good to know about the lack of non-travel points of interest. My wife recently used a garmin and she liked that she was able to pull up the closest staples to where she was.
    Just checking to see if you're paying attention. Yes, they fold in. ;)

Vince.
    One final question...

Does the nav system speak directions with street names?

Thanks
    Only if the street names are numbers, i.e. "Take exit Five Seven" or "Take exit for US Seven, North". That would be awesome if a Nav system had artificial intelligence and could speak names, i.e. "Take Okeechobee Road, West" without butchering the pronunciation!

Vince.
    Nearly all the portable units have text-to-speech. I have a garmin and it does a good job of it.

Oh well.
    Thanks.
    Wow, I didn't realize that capability exists! Thanks!

Vince.
  • anxsanxs Member Posts: 7
    I purchased the AWD GT about a month ago and on the window sticker it details the luggage cover and is also suppose to be standard in the GT. I know it's a separate piece you must pop in but I don't seem to have it. Is it possibly missing or is it stored in the vehicle somewhere and I'm not seeing it? I've torn this thing apart and thought I'd ask the question before I call the dealership. I'm taking a long trip next week and it would be nice to cover my things from public view while I'm parked/traveling.
  • wjbushsrwjbushsr Member Posts: 135
    Standard on ALL GT's!

If it's not on the car, I'd call the salesman and ask when he could have it ready for you to pick up.

There really is no place to store it other than the bracket it sits on.

Good luck on your trip!
    Zoom Zoooom :shades:
This discussion has been closed.