Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Owners Manual Maintenance ??'s

goredmatrixgogoredmatrixgo Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Hello
I have a beautiful 2003 Xr I love it Prob. the best car I've owned.
When I bought it I didnt realize that it didnt have an Owner's amnual or service log.
If there's any1 out there with the 03 matrix Xr tell me the mfg maintenance schedual up to 60K?
Mainly looking for
Auto Trans Fluid
Timing Belt
and any other major stuff
Thanks

Comments

• goredmatrixgogoredmatrixgo Member Posts: 3
    Thats good!
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Let's see...I will omit the lists of "inspections" that are supposed to occur, but broadly speaking, the rest of the thing goes like this:

oil and filter change, every 5K
    tire rotation, every 5K
    cabin air filter replacement, every 20K
    underhood air filter replacement, every 30K

The coolant is the 100K-mile stuff, and the plugs are due for replacement at 120K. No transmission oil/fluid replacement is recommended at all for routine use, and I remember from my '03 there is actually a sticker on the auto trans dipstick that says that too. Now of course, there have been many skeptics on these boards that have said you'd be crazy not to change it, but the manufacturer has not said you need to, so you be the judge. As for me, my new car is a manual, and I will probably change the transmission oil somewhere along the way before 100K miles, even though it isn't called for in the schedule.

Finally, these are NOT the dirt road/towing intervals. If you do either of those regularly, you need to do other stuff as well (including transmission fluid changes every 30K if you tow).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• goredmatrixgogoredmatrixgo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Nippon
    I was losing faith in some1 responding.
    It sounds like Toyota has an easy service maintenance plan.
    I will prob. flush out the coolant and trans (Auto) b4 100K miles. Why not be on the safe side.
    My Kia Sorento plan is crazy
    Timing belt change @ 40K and again @80K
    Trans Fluch @ 60K
    Diff. Fluid @ 20, 40, 60K
    Very expensive to maintain the warranty on it.
    Thanks again for the info
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• tedd66tedd66 Member Posts: 4
    Matrix uses a timing chain, not a belt, so Toyota eliminated that costly service on this model. You can go to Toyota.com and look up the service recommendactions for all their models (I think it goes back to 03).
  • biggsealbiggseal Member Posts: 1
    From what I've read here, it looks as though this vehicle has a timing chain vs. a belt. does this mean that since I'm at 107K miles I don't need to worry about changing it? Thanks... BIGGSEAL OUT!
  • circuitsmithcircuitsmith Member Posts: 117
    If you change your oil regularly the chain itself will in theory last the life of the engine.
    In reality the sprockets and chain tensioner typically get noisy ~200-300K miles.
This discussion has been closed.