Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Escape

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Where or where did you get the idea that all 2008 Escapes are front wheel drive only. Check Ford's web site. Front Wheel Drive or Four Wheel Drive certainly available.
  • ladyblueladyblue Member Posts: 326
    I would have loved to have built-in Bluetooth, but it's not available. Maybe they'll offer it as an add-on.

Try to not hit the gas so hard when starting on wet pavement. Your front tires might also be sitting on the painted white stop line, which will make them spin if the road is wet. Hang back a little at the stop light and when it turns green, let the car roll forward just a little before hitting the gas.

I got my remote starter installed today. Way cool! With this heat wave we've been having, I'm looking forward to having the air conditioner already cranking before I get in. I'm also looking forward to hopping into a warmed-up car when winter comes.

Ladyblue :)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is very very weird. All 08s have AdvancTrac both FWD and AWD. You should contact your dealer.

Also, as far as Bluetooth goes and Ford Synch, blame the Tribute. Ford has exclusive rights to Synch for one year. So no Synch in the Escape which shares production line with the Tribute.
  • jared_mcjared_mc Member Posts: 7
    Its not like I slam on the gas when I take off it just normal light pressure to the pedal but I have to press it harder to get it moving.
    Exactly I don’t think I was fair that the Escape got the short end of the stick. I wanted to see if others wanted it as bad as I do and maybe we could get a petition or a letter to Ford expressing them our desire to have that technology included in our Escapes.
    I was simply stating that it is Standard that what I was saying for the 2008 Escape you can get it for with AWD but thats an option. Sorry if I wasnt clear.
    This is one strange situation. This vehicle should not spin the way you state. As another person mentioned you have traction control as standard equipment. Better take it to a dealer. We will be curious as to their findings.
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    Hi everyone,

We'll be taking delivery of a new 2008 Escape Limited within a few days. Does anyone have a checklist that I could use at delivery, to identify anything that needs to be looked at before I accept the vehicle? I know that the factories and dealers these days try to be very quality-focused, but we've all read here about problems. I'd just like to be able to catch them early if I can. Thanks.
    Try to take delivery in the daytime when it is not raining. Check carefully for fit and finish. Check the interior for loose and ill fitting material. Most dealers have a check list that they have supposedly used before delivering the vehicle to you. If you find anything wrong in the next few days advise the service dept. Our 2007 Limited was delivered in great shape but I have had some cars that obviously were not checked by anyone.
  • nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    One very important thing to do is: check the tire pressure. Most new cars are deivered with a "higher" than recommended air pressure to avoid flat spots on the new tires. Take a tire pressure guage with you. Even if they say the tire pressure is "always' checked on the pre-inspection list....it is NOT always checked.

NORTSR
  • fast_eddiefast_eddie Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand new 2008 escape a week ago. I have a 2006 as well and that is the reason behind buying another. I have enjoyed the vehicle so much I traded in my SVT for another. I would disagree about the styling of the 08. I really like it. I think they have done a great job with it. Every person that has seen it since has said the same. I am a son of a retired Ford worker so I am biased but I firmly believe in BUY AMERICAN. I work in an american owned steel mill and there are no Aisan companies buying our steel even though our quality is the best you will find. Also note that I am getting 28mpg and there is only 500 miles on the truck. I just wish people would not knock our american products. If Ford or Chevy were to have come out with a vehicle like the Honda element it would without a doubt be knocked but since it is an Aisan company it is groundbreaking. In case you have not noticed the Big 3 quality is up there with the best as well. We were forced by our competitors to do this and I thank them for it but the old addage that the Aisans make a better product is just not true any more. I just thought I would put my 2 cents in. I enjoyed the posts.
    We took delivery of a new 2008 Escape Limited (light sage metallic) exactly one week ago. I'm already noticing very small brownish dots, which after thorough washing and waxing have been confirmed as rust on the hood and forward section of the roof. At delivery, I did formally advise the dealer that I noticed a bumpy texture to the paint on the hood area. Very disappointing - my first domestic vehicle after a long history of Hondas and Mazdas.

Obviously we'll be having a frank discussion with our dealer, but wanted to check in here to see if anyone else has encountered similar problems.

Thanks!
    Keep hounding your dealer, You should get your hood repainted.

Mark
  • rnargrnarg Member Posts: 27
    I special ordered a 2008 Escape Hybrid on July 30th. Just checked with the dealer today Sept 5, 2007 to see if they could determine an approximate delivery date. (dealer originally said approx 6 weeks). Dealer checked and said he was told by Ford that 2008 Escape Hybrids are currently on "National Backorder"------------no wonder Ford continues to lose money--------they can't even show a profit when demand is exceeding production.--------Bottm line--- a condition which results in "National Backorder" and "Losing money" should never be permitted to occur in the same period of time. Those responsible for allowing that to happen would be better used in positions more suited to their ability.
    I just delivered a Hybrid yesterday that was ordered on 5/31/08.

Dealers are well aware of what commodities are available and I have known for at least 3 weeks that the Hybrid had 0% available for NEW orders in my region.

The mistake that Ford made this year was that they are treating the Hybrid like a trim level of the Ford Escape instead of a model with its own allocation.

Accordingly, dealers are able to throw up orders even if they don't have a good history of selling hybrids.

Since 2005, it has been known that Ford cannot get enough transmissions or battery packs to build more than 24,000 or so Escapes and Mariners. Whats sad is that the situtation has not really gotten any better.

The other problem is that some of the people buying them have no real business buying them.

With the Ford Escape, if you are not going to drive at least 15k or better, 18k of mostly city miles per year and keep the truck for at least 5 years, then you will never get back back the extra cost of the hybrid vs the gas Escape.

Also, if a smaller vehicle such as a Focus will meet your transport needs then buying the Escape Hybrid is completely pointless.

Mark.
    The other problem is that some of the people buying them have no real business buying them.

That's exactly what my dealer told me when I expressed interest in buying the hybrid. My driving habits would not have gotten me the benefit and I was better off getting the standard Escape. I'm glad I listened.

My only complaint about the whole ordering process is this: I would have gladly gotten the Limited if it came in blue. Okay, that may sound shallow, but I really wanted the blue. Why would they offer different colors for different trim levels? I would think the body is the same for the XLS, XLT and Limited, no? Years ago you had more choices when ordering a vehicle. Now only certain interior colors come with certain exterior colors, and not all colors are available on all models.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I should be able to get what I want. They should give the consumer more choices, if you ask me. ;)
    My Mustang is Vista Blue and I hate the fact that the same color is offered on more plebian conveyances. :P

Incidently, if you want choice, take a look at a F-Series SD order guide.

All choices do in these times of cut production is piss the guy off who thinks he can walk onto a lot and find a certain car he built on the website. Like a 5 speed 4 cylinder Premier Milan. No dealer wastes there limited allocation to order a car like that.

Mark.
  • cgb002cgb002 Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery of a 2008 escape last week. So far the car runs great, handles well and I like just about everything about it. One strange issue: During the last 5 or 10 feet of a stop I can hear a noise that follows the rotation of the wheels. It's like a pad is not perfect and has a high spot. Several people have told me with todays drum brakes you can have these noises but they go away. I hate to have the dealer touch it if I can help it. Anyone else heard this?
  • ron1958ron1958 Member Posts: 9
    Got our 2008 Escape in May, I have not heard any brake sounds at all. Make sure your dealer fixes this!

-Ron
  • ebrebr Member Posts: 1
    Weighing the pros and cons of buying a Ford Escape or Toyota RAV4 or Hyundai Santa Fe (all 6 cylinder models).....any comments from current owners would be greatly appreciated!
    The reason for buying a hybrid is not always a matter of whether the difference in cost will ever be recovered and/or whether your "driving habits" are such that a significant increase in MPG will be realized. The sooner the car salesmen get off the "cost recovery" mindset, and we consumers think beyond only $-MPG benefits, the better off we will all be.

We should all be thinking in terms of how to improve our "green report cards". Buying a hybrid vehicle rather than it's comparable gas-engine model is only one method among hundreds of others. It's a fact that hybrid vehicles contribute to a better environment. To what degree is not always clear, but doing something is better than doing nothing at all. (Even if gas prices exceed $4.00 per gallon, most hybrids will unlikely recoup their extra cost at the pump).

Making a determined effort to reduce greenhouse emissions is a sensible step toward preserving our environment. Even if what we do eventually turns out to be not enough, at least we will have slowed down the warming process allowing us and technology more time to adapt to the changes that come from climate change.

Hybrids burn cleaner, and as a result their emissions contribute less to smog. Hybrids by nature get more MPG than their gasoline equivalents, and every gallon of gasoline we burn produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide or greenhouse gas into the atmosphere.

Per Kermit the frog, "It's not easy being green" and I accept that, so I will continue to wait for my "backordered" Ford Escape.

Rnarg
    Rnarg,

While I agree strongly with everything you say, it was explained to me that the hybrid only runs on electric power when the vehicle is traveling under 45 mph. Once you exceed that speed, it switches over to gas power.

Very rarely do I find myself in stop-and-go traffic nor do I travel many roads with speed limits under 40 mph, so I'd be using gas power most of the time, except when stopping at occassional traffic lights and stop signs. With its 4-cylinder gas engine, the hybrid just didn't provide the kind of power I'd need for the kind of driving I do.

Now, if I didn't believe in improving the environment and reducing emmissions, I wouldn't have been shopping for a hybrid in the first place. I still wish it would have worked out for me, but until they can improve the technology to increase the capacity of the electric engine, I will have to stick with what I have.

Good luck with your new hybrid and let us know how you like it!

Ladyblue :D
    Weighing the pros and cons of buying a Ford Escape or Toyota RAV4 or Hyundai Santa Fe (all 6 cylinder models).....any comments from current owners would be greatly appreciated!

We looked seriously at all three. To begin with the excessive cost of financing for Hyundai and Toyota were early turnoffs. Neither has satellite. We really liked the Santa Fe, but couldn't understand why (in Canada) a 6-cd, satellite or aux-input wasn't available. We're both tall, and lack of leg room in Toyota, Hyundai and Mitsubishi was also an issue. In the end, we were able to get a better deal with the local Ford dealer, and I'm willing to accept that quality is approaching Japanese / Korean territory. The 4-speed tranny and rear drum brakes were early turnoffs for the Escape.
    Hybrids really don't help the environment at all. Especially if you include the impact of the strip mining used to get enough copper and rare metals for the Hybrid battery pack. Then there is the cost of disposal.

3rd, any minisule contribution done by the individual as far as carbon emission is concerned is already off set a hundred fold by increases in China.

China plans to open an average of 1 coal fired electric plant per week for the forseeable future.

Now for Lady Blue.

The FEH runs in electric launch mode up to 25mph. This is the point at which Ford determined that continuing to run on battery discharges the battery pack so quickly as to be less effecient than starting the gas motor.

2nd, just because the gas motor is running, does not mean you are using the same amount of gas as you would use in the exact same circumstances in the Gas Escape.

Remember that in a Hybrid, all three power sources can be called upon. The ICE, the ETM, and the HVB. (Internal combustion engine, electric traction motor, and high voltage battery).

All three can work together. For instance if you pull quickly into traffic, the gas motor is running, but if you have a full charge in the HVB, the ICE my run at a lower RPM and call for acceleration assistance from the ETM and the HVB. Remember, the ETM is more effecient than the ICE at producing low rpm torque to get you moving.

The hybrid is a transition technology.

Mark
    Mark---Thanks for your comments regarding the workings of the Escape's power plant. I have observed and experienced the power changes taking place as you outline. I have noticed a couple of things that the operator can control to a degree without much effort.

1. when you start from a standstill, pressing the accelerator lightly and gradually (watching the instrument panel guage to make sure it doesn't leave the "green" electric mode) you can get to 40MPH without the gas engine kicking in. This for some drivers may take some change in "driving habits"---(can't gun-it from a standstill. The driver must press the accelerator as though there is an egg between his shoe and the accelerator or else the gasoline power may kick on.

2. Run your AC only when necessary. It's been my observation that when the AC is on the gasoline engine is also on no matter what the speed. ( You can press the economy mode button if you desire to shut down the gas engine when you are at a standstill) Obviously, the gasoline engine will run more frequently in the year round warm climate areas of Florida where AC may be a must.

Also I agree that the "hybrid in itself" isn't what is contributing to better air quality. It is the fact of the better MPG of the hybrid when compared to the SAME VEHICLE in gasoline form that contributes to better air quality. As mentioned earlier, every gallon of gasoline we burn produces 20 pounds of carbon dioxide into our atmosphere. Logically then, for every gallon of gasoline a hybrid saves as compared to its equivalent gasoline powered twin, there is 20 lbs less carbon dioxide placed in our atmosphere. That's not "B.S.", that's a logical conclusion.

RE China comment: Just because one's neighbor continues to drive their V-8 SUV rather than an Escape gas or hybrid SUV shouldn't be reason enough for one to give up hope on helping out with improving our atmosphere. Sometimes there are other reasons and conditions people do the things they do, but regardless, that gives us the challenge of convincing them to change their ways. It may take some time, but eventually they will change. (I believe it's just a matter of time until the Chinese realize that a BUICK is NOT the most desirable car in the world, so I think pollution will eventually be on their change agenda as well)

In any event, my advise (for what it's worth) is don't throw in the towel quite yet. Everyone should do what they can to help out our environment. Even if we fail, at least our future generations of children will be able to look back and say, "hey, at least they tried".

Rnarg
  • mrbizness1mrbizness1 Member Posts: 93
    Rented a 2008 Escape AWD limited for the weekend, drove 400 miles. The vehicle had 7k miles. After driving 245 miles of which 180 were highway at 65-70 mph I got 23mpg. I was surprised how much stuff I was able to get in it. I thought it handled excellent. On some roads it was a little noisy, and the gas pedal seemed a little lite, at 65 mph you only needed to push it down a 1/2 inch. Now I wish I could find the new Saturn View to rent so I could compare it to the Ford. Love the blue dash lights.
  • ped4uped4u Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have had this same problem in my 2008 Escape and it was just fixed last week... only took three trips to the dealer and pushing them. Did you also notice that the problem does not happen right from the start but only after 5-10 mins of driving?? Thats what I had in my car

At first they thought it was a brake shoe in the back then they checked the suspension. This problem is not very common but is known to Ford Engineers as my dealer
    eventually had to call them since they could not determine what the problem was. Tell your dealer that Ford has a fix for this and that their engineers know how to fix it.

From what I was able to get out of the dealer, the problem is with the hydrolic fluid in the braking system and that after a couple of mins, once it heats up, it loses some of its ability to hold pressure so when at full load the shoes will pulse in and out thats what you hear.

Hopefully this helps, as I mentioned above, my dealer had to call Ford of Canada to figure this out since their mechanics were scratching their heads. From what I heard from the dealer, they had not seen this problem before and that Ford had told them that they have had 2-3 so far.

Later
  • mb789mb789 Member Posts: 89
    I test drove a 2008 Escape today, and I liked it, but I am concerned about the intelligent 4WD -- is this really 4WD? When it is explained that it engages when wheels slip, this reminds me of vehicles like Hondas, which I don't think of as 4WD or even AWD. I live in the Midwest, and in the winter we usually have several small snows, like 1-3 inches and one big snow of 8 or so inches. I want something that can get through it all.

I am also considering the Jeep Liberty, which has a true 4WD. The good points about the Escape were the ride, handling, and the one I drove had an I4 engine, so better fuel economy than the Jeep. Has anyone else compared the Escape with either a 2007 or 2008 Liberty, and if you chose the Escape, what features/functions helped you decide?

What should I be cautious of when considering an I4 vs. a 6 cylinder? Can an I4 really handle the job of powering and moving a truck-like SUV? I will never be towing anything.

Thanks.
  • mussaqlovemussaqlove Member Posts: 1
    This month I recently purchased an 2008 Ford Escape. Initially I loved everything about the SUV; however, it seems to be unleveled in someway. While driving the vehicle the drivers side seems to be higher than the right. Which gives the impression of it being unleveled or low tire pressure on the passenger side. It causes some safety issues because I've had to over steer because I believe its leaning and its uneven. I've had the SUV looked at by several managers at the dealership who test drove my vehicle and felt the same way as I did. Before driving my vehicle everyone used the term that it was an "illusion" and nothing was wrong but after having the opportunity to drive mine as well as another 2008 Escape to compare, we've all concluded that it was a character flaw with the engineering. Has anyone noticed that it seems to be a bit off with the leveling or that the hood was improperly designed? If so, please reply I'm interested in knowing if I need my eyes check.
    ps. Please don't say its air pressure because its not; we checked all of that.
    I would spend the extra and go for the V6. The 4 seems to be somewhat underpowered. Four cylinder Escapes with AWD are very hard to find in our area. You should recoup the extra you spend for the six when it is time to trade. We have a V6 2007 Limited and find the power more than adequate and very smooth.

We receive about the same amount of snow that you noted and our Escape has been excellent in the winter. We have the Goodyear Wrangler tires and they help as well. If you are going to go off road a lot then a true four wheel drive with low range would be better, but then you usually lose mpg. and comfort.
    Does anybody feel that the Sync System should be made available for the Escape since all other 2008 models have this option available and the Escape doesnt?
  • zeeboyzeeboy Member Posts: 25
    rail dust

buy a clay bar
    First the Jeep Liberty has what I'll call "pickup truck 4x4"

YOU have to turn it on if you want it. There is also a 4x4 low. But 4x4 low is only useful to people who are going off pavement into extreme 4x4 situations.

Intelligent 4WD on the Escape uses electronics to monitor individual wheel speed, throttle input, steering input, and cornering forces. When a low traction situation is detected or anticipated, more power is sent to the rear wheels in about 50 milliseconds. 1 seventh of a wheel rotation, or about as long as it takes for you to blink your eyes.

This type of system is the best for on pavement use as it reacts to changing road conditions with no driver intervention.

Most sales people who are only ID10T certified incorrectly describe this system as sending more power to the rear when the front wheels slip. The fact is that more power goes to the rear BEFORE the front wheels truly loose traction.

This is different from the Explorer system for instance which uses a hydraulic clutch instead of an electronic clutch. In the Explorer, the rear wheels actually have to spin to send power to the front. Thats why they give you an override button.

The original pre 2005 Escape also used a hydraulic clutch. So they give you an override switch.

Mark.
  • susie24susie24 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here and I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem. My son purchased a 2008 Limited Escape in August and has had problems with it since..At first it felt like there was no power and it was going to stall out .He brought it back to the dealers twice and they said the computer found no problem which was hard to believe.Recently, it has gotten worse where it did stall out on a busy intersection with our 6 month old grandson in the back seat.They almost got into an accident . My husband took it right back to the dealers and he almost got hit because it stalled on him..Finally, got a phone call from the service center saying there is a big problem the transmission slips into idle..(no kidding!!) My son doesn't want it back especially with a baby on board..Just wanted to know if anyone else here experienced this. Thanks.
  • fomoconafomocona Member Posts: 19
    At Ford, we're excited about having SYNC available for all our models as quickly as possible. Unfortunately the 2008 Escape was in production before SYNC was ready to be installed in any vehicle. With all the extra wiring and electronics involved it was impossible to add SYNC to the existing design and get the 2008 Escape into production. However, SYNC is scheduled to be available on 2008 Escapes during the 2008 calendar year. SYNC is currently available in the 2008 Focus, Edge, Explorer, MKX and Mountaineer. It will be available on 8 other Ford, Lincoln, Mercury models by the end of this year.
  • stevelapstevelap Member Posts: 2
    just purchased new 2008(ordered it)less than 500 miles and the drivers door window is making a scraping noise when moved uo or down.going in for its first visit next week,anybody else have this happen yet?
    I have a Forester, and I'm considering a 4 cylinder Ford Escape. Has anyone compared these lately? Opinions?

The Forester is a 4 cylinder, but has a little more horsepower, but I like the Ford's fresh styling and the fact that you can mix options like sunroofs, 6-disc players, etc. How does Intelligent 4WD stack up against Subaru's AWD?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You may be interested in this comparison topic: Suzuki Grand Vitara vs Subaru Forester vs Hyundai Santa Fe vs Jeep Liberty vs Ford Escape vs Saturn Vue

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • stevelapstevelap Member Posts: 2
    had escape at dealer for window noise-they replaced window runs and adjusted everything,noise is gone,but...they didnt fit the outer molding properly(bent it)and they scratched the b pillar trim on the door.going back today to discuss issue.once again flat rate strikes again!!!we now have 750 miles on it.
  • cgb002cgb002 Member Posts: 2
    My 2008 sure seems to make a lot of heat shield type noise. When its first starts, when its stopped. Just clicking away. Doesn't sound very good.
  • janrjanr Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am replying to your msg about Escape verses Jeep Liberty. I don't know if you made your choice already but if I could change my purchase, I would go for the Jeep Liberty. They are far more of a machine than the Escape. They also burn more gas. But if you want reliability and good off-roading with good traction, that's the way to go. I ended up buying a 2007 Limited Escape..... I wish I hadn't.
    For hwy driving and city driving the Escape is good enough.
    Janr
    Thanks for your reply. I have not purchased anything yet.

I am still considering the Escape along with a Subaru Forester w/premium package, and I'm still considering the Jeep Wrangler and Liberty as well.

What is it that you don't like about the Escape? Do you have the 4 cylinder or 6?

To help with fuel, I am hoping to find a 4 cylinder 4WD/AWD that I would be happy with. I like Subaru, but I would like to buy something made here in the U.S.

I have been impressed lately with what seems to me to be the innovative stance Ford is taking. Their prior Escapes had safety issues, and with the new Escapes, they've worked to improve and fix these issues.

Plus, I read two automotive articles recently from different sources, and they both referenced people from Ford that were discussing certain industry topics such as the future of paint colors.

I like it that Ford is out there talking and giving input in the industry. Even though some experts sayd Ford is in bad shape, to me, they are trying hard to put out quality products that are innovative, safe, and fresh.
  • ron1958ron1958 Member Posts: 9
    I bought a 2008 Escape back in March when they first hit the showrooms. I can tell you it is an awesome vehicle for the price. I have the FWD 4cyl XLT. The ride is great, it handles good and is quiet. My wife owns a 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe, and she likes to drive the Escape over the Honda. I have 4500 miles on the Escape to date, no problems or issues whatsoever. I am averaging 25-26 mpg as displayed on the computer. I would buy one of these again in a flash. Ford has come a long way in innovation and quality control with this new Escape.
    Well I understand that the Sync system will be offered on the models made in 2008 but I dont believe it is fair that the early opters who first supported the new vehicle when it was first released should be left out. Will we be able to get this system added to our existing cars or will be left out? That is the real question I wanted to know.
    The Sync system is wired to every electrical system in the vehicle and can not be added after the fact.

Future Sync applications (which will be available to previous owners through updates) will provide the same type of features as OnStar.

Mark.
  • aladdinsanealaddinsane Member Posts: 182
    Hello, Mark...

If it's true that SYNC will become Ford's answer to GM's OnStar, in future, then I DEFINITELY would purchase a Ford in time!

Just how long in future do you think SYNC will become the "new" OnStar, so to speak? :confuse:

Peace!<-AladdinSane- :shades: -
  • yvonnie01yvonnie01 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Escape in June. After about a week, I noticed a grinding noise when I take right hand curves at about 20-25 MPH. Is this the same type of noise you heard, and if so, did you get it fixed? I've had my car at the dealer 3 times and they can't "duplicate" the noise therefore nothing has been fixed on my car. I'm taking it to a different Ford dealer, but would like to know if you have any more information I can give them to help resolve this problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    We are going to buy an 08 Escape Limited in a few months and would like to know what you can tell me about the following.

Has anyone here had (or heard of) problems with the AWD system? If so, what kind of problems?

How does the gas mileage compare between the AWD and the FWD?

Thanks!
  • coolbeansohcoolbeansoh Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Escape Limited FWD back in June. I mainly drive only in the city and I have been averaging about 17-18 mpg. I owned a 2001 Escape with 4WD before this and would say that the mileage was pretty much the same. In the 2001 Escape the 4WD only kicked in when it was needed so it wasn't an AWD full time system. I live in a small city that keeps the roads clear during the winter months so I didn't feel it necessary for me to have the AWD. Good Luck with your new 'Escape i'm sure you will enjoy it!
  • desmo1desmo1 Member Posts: 26
    Thanks, coolbeansoh