Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Highlander

Comments

• Options
    middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2004 HL and the HL third seat should hold a child's seat. I have had two teenagers back there, but it is difficult to get in and out. Best option is to try it out with the kids.

I agree with the previous post that the Highlander is better looking than the Pilot. Although the Highlander looks narrow, it is very roomy on the inside.
  • Options
    reachagreachag Member Posts: 2
    herzogtum71 Thanks for your reply.
    Most of it is in the city. i had never seriously measured it on a highway. Next time i will check it out. So, looks like 21 mpg in city is pretty decent for a 4-cyl.
  • Options
    1909kar1909kar Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know when the production run ends for the 2006 Highlander?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    scottnrosescottnrose Member Posts: 47
    Hi golic,
    I have a 6 year-old in a booster and a 3 year-old who just changed to a booster.

Our family car is a Land Cruiser and my car is a Highlander LTD. In 2004, I sold my previous sedan (Accord V6) for the HL and went through this same decision.

My thoughts - If you plan to use the 3rd-row seat a lot (few times a week or more), the Pilot is probably your better choice. However, if it is only to be used a few times a month or less (not on overly long distances), the HL is a great choice.

I've had both car seats in the back ~10 times in 20 months - no problems, no complaints (my boys are 49" & 40"). However, depending upon the height of your children and how they grow during the time that you own this vehicle, the back is just not great for an often used seating area. Furthermore, when this area is being used for seating, the cargo area is skimpy (don't plan on taking much with you - hard to fit a stroller for the infant).

On the plus side - the HL has been rock solid. I just turned over 40K and have only performed routine oil changes and replaced the crappy tires (GY Integrity). Gas mileage has been pretty good (~21mpg) in mixed driving. Much better than what I have read about the Pilot's mpg.

That's my $0.02.
    Scott
  • Options
    master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    They probably already stopped making the 06 Highlanders in the factory. Now, Toyota dealers are trying to get rid of them. There still will be 06 Highlanders left to buy when they new one comes at too. Just like the Honda Pilot, all the dealers still have plenty of 05 Pilots. So, you can get a Highlander for a cheap price now, and very cheap when the new one comes out! ;)
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "They probably already stopped making the 06 Highlanders in the factory."

I don't think so. Assuming a normal Sept intro for the 2007 models, there's no way they build 5 months ahead. Typically the last current model year build would be sometime in June and they would start building the next model year in July.

We know from the 2007 Camry discussion that they were still building a mix 2006 and 2007 models 2 weeks ago and the 2007 shows up in showrooms in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    bleubyubleubyu Member Posts: 3
    Just picked up a Bluestone Limited HL and we are very impressed with it. Feel we got a good deal. This vehicle was so much more comfortable and roomy than the CRVs and RAV 4s we looked at. I have two questions: (1) book says you can use 87 but you get better performance with higher 0ctane - does that include better mileage? and (2) book talks about a "windshield wiper defrost grid" - is that different than the normal windhshield defrost mode? What is this "grid"?

Thanks!

:)
  • Options
    1) we have run regular almost exclusively in our V6. Get about 22 on the freeway at 70-75 mph. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Any mileage increase from using premium would probably be offset by the increased cost.

2) Not sure about this. Sounds like maybe there are a couple of wires like a rear window defroster but I don't see them.
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Defroster grid is optional and comes with cold weather package . Wires in lower portion of windshield prevent ice and snow buildup and believe it is activated when rear defrost button is pushed.
  • Options
    Thanks, I did indeed find this grid while waxing it today. Not easy to see since it is located at the base of the windshield which is very dark anyway. It is a neat idea and some simple but elegant engineering that I have never seen before. I have had more than my share of ice-encrusted wipers at 5 AM in the morning!

;)
  • Options
    tommyg12tommyg12 Member Posts: 158
    Final order date is 5/10/06. Initial '07 order date is 6/12/06. Production begins 8/06 with a 9/06 delivery.
  • Options
    OK, here is my question for today. What exactly does the "ECT/Snow" button do? I cannot find a clear explanation of its function in the owners manual. Since the HL is already full-time AWD, what does activating this add to its snow traction/handling?

Asked the dealer during delivery and he mumbled something about changing gear selection... Perhaps it does not allow you to start in first gear?? :confuse:
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    With the advent of DBW, e-throttle, what most systems now do in snow mode is reduce the "gain" of the accelerator pedal, taking more depression of the pedal to attain the same level of engine power as in the normal mode. Some systems will also start off in second gear.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    WWEST, is there a list of configurable cbest options for the Highlander? (hybrid in particular) A friend has one, and noticed that I had my recirc mode changed on my 05 Highlander non-hybrid, (as well as one-click to unlock all doors at one time) now wants to have his done, and wonders what else he can have done. He has done some googling, and can't seem to pin it down. PS what does CBest stand for? I know its something to do with the body computer.

Thanks

Jeff
  • Options
    brupopbrupop Member Posts: 63
    bleubyu,
    You are correct that the ECT/Snow button allows only 2nd gear starts, in effect it doesn't allow the transmission to downshift into 1st gear.
    Enjoy your HL. We still love our '02 LTD.
    GregB
  • Options
    Hi. It allows you to start in any gear in mine. (04) When I drove in the snow, I think that it always sends the power to BOTH front wheels. Sometimes one wheel in the front is only powering the car, and they switch back and forth. (1 front wheel to 2 front wheels depending if accelerating, cruising) When I used the ECT, I think it kept both wheels all the time. The car felt a little better.
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    As stated, Snow Mode starts you out in 2nd gear for lower torque, less chance of spinning the tires. Also changes the shift points. Makes them at a lower speed.
    If does not affect the throttle as stated, nor does it affect traction control on the FWD (non-4wd) models. These are controlled separately.
    Most FWD models with traction control have a separate switch to modify the lockup (braking action) parameters. In other words make it seem like the 2 front tires are driving together more. With both active (SnowMode & Tracontrol), it definitely feels like the front differential is locked, but in reality there is no locking of that differential.
  • Options
    It's only the more recent vehicles that have DBW wherein the accelerator pedal "gain" is modified, lowered in snow mode. If you doubt this and have DBW try timing your acceleration in both modes on dry pavement.

Prior to DBW the solution was to change the shift pattern and also start out from a stop in second gear.
  • Options
    herzogtum71herzogtum71 Member Posts: 470
    GregB, what you report is how a service technician at my dealer explained it to me. I also sensed that the vehicle was starting in 2nd gear before I talked with the technician. We have an '04 4-cylinder.
  • Options
    nrwaynenrwayne Member Posts: 45
    I'm about ready to get a 2006 HL AWD and would prefer the 4 cyl. to get better gas mileage and lower purchase price. The HL will be replacing a 4 cyl. 2000 Camry. The Camry gets great mileage and has enough power for our needs. So I'm wondering if we can expect about the same from the HL or whether 4 cyl. isn't really enough when combined with AWD. All comments greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Most 4 cylinder owners will tell you they have adequate power for their needs. I personally have a V6, but have had three 4 cylinder Camrys. What you won't get is the mileage figure you get with the Camry. The body style makes it more of a brick going through the air than a dart.
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    To the Host: Is it time for a category devoted to the next generation Highlander, or the rumors circulating around it?
  • Options
    nrwaynenrwayne Member Posts: 45
    My Camry can push 30 mpg. on the road and I'd be pleased if the 4 cyl. HL could get 25+ and close to 20 around town. I'd consider the V6 if it doesn't do much worse.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Try this one over in Future Vehicles:

2006 Toyota Highlander (non-hybrid)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Nope, that thread isn't going anywhere Steve. Time to start a thread that discusses the pending arrival of the new, redesigned 2007 Highlander.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That sounds like a Future Vehicle to me. Try starting a new discussion up over there or ask Kirstie to rename the '06 one.

Then post a few rumors and a couple of off-the-wall Photoshopped pics and watch the thread grow. :D

Steve, Host
  • Options
    V6 mileage is highly dependent on driving habits. Our 3.3 liter only gets around 14 mpg around town in winter but it's driven in very short hops (my wife is less than 3 miles from her work.) Best highway (70-75 mph) has been 22.5 but sometimes only 21 or so.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Test drove the 4cyl and it had adequate power, but that was for a 2wd. Since you're planning on getting the AWD it's possible the 4cyl may be sluggish and you might want to lean toward the V6.
  • Options
    We don't need no stinkin' new category -- my predictions for the next generation HL:

1. In sharp contrast to kdhspyder's prediction it will be introduced in 2007 and my prediction it will be introduced in 2008, it was actually introduced in 2006 but no one noticed because everyone was too busy posting and nobody actually visited a dealership.

2. Contrary to popular expectation that it will grow in size to differentiate itself from the new, larger RAV4, the HL will actually shrink in size, effectively switching places with the RAV4, causing everyone who bought a RAV4 because they wanted a small SUV to buy a new HL, and vice versa.

3. They'll fix the engine hesitation, steering rubbing, warped rotor, and the plethora of interior rattle problems, and most importantly they'll finally get rid of those louvered plugs inset in the front bumpers of the non-limited models.
  • Options
    THe 2007 RX350 is already being "staged" at the dealerships so can the introduction of the "new" HL be far behind?

The new RX350 does not have the DFI engine but the AWD model has a VC (again) and rumor is that it will get a third row come September.
  • Options
    We have a slight hesitation but none of the other problems you refer to.
  • Options
    Didn't mean to imply the HL is plagued with problems -- overall it's very reliable judging from the posts here. Just making some light-hearted comments concerning the expected redesign (is expected to grow in size and edmunds and Motor Trend differ on whether it'll be introduced as an '07 or '08 model). Perhaps my last post should have been made in a new category entitled "It was late and I was really tired!" ;)
  • Options
    If it was going to be an '07 I think we'd be reading more about it in the car mags, wouldn't we?
  • Options
    That's what I figure. Did a google search on "2007 Toyota Highlander" a few weeks ago and didn't find anything; a while back someone mentioned he's seen stuff on the '07 Camry redesign but not on the Highlander...
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    My guess is MY 2008. The 2007 Camry is already out, basically, will be in dealerships this Spring. Everyone has seen pictures by now as it has been in all the auto shows and in the car buff mags. I don't think the HL has to get larger necessarily, look at the new RX350, it's not larger. The new HL could get more lux items and gadgets, but I don't think it'll grow in size much. Personally, I hope not, it's a handy mid-size right now. The market for third row seating (seats are mostly a joke anyway) and 7 passengers can't be all that large, I wouldn't think. ??
  • Options
    I agree the market for the third row can't be too big. I also totally agree the HL is just the right size now; the few times I've used it for hauling I was able to fit tons of stuff in it. Most of my hauling is done with my pickup.

Speaking of which, I've owned a Toyota pickup since it was purchased new in 1983, and am finally getting rid of it. No, it's still running fine (the thing just never dies). It's just that after a while you want something new. Merely a comment on Toyota reliability, especially their older generation trucks -- it was extremely reliable over the years. There were a few repairs, but they were far and few between (water pump, oil seal leak, starter motor (due to oil leak damage), alternator (due to oil leak damage), master brake cylinder, horn switch, cruise control switch, radio switch, and I think that's about it (except for things like brake pads, batteries, and repairs due to traffic accidents)). Only had it tuned up maybe 2 or 3 times. People have occasionally asked me if I want to sell it, so they're still popular. Just felt compelled to say something about it before I part with it; it has served me very well.

On the flip side, just took possession of a brand new factory order '06 Ford Ranger a few weeks ago. Probably would have got a Toyota if they were still available in a longbed, but only the Ranger is now. Will see how the Ranger holds up reliability-wise. (Actually compared reliability data for the Ford Ranger and Toyota Tacoma pickups on edmunds.com' Problems and Solutions discussions and in Consumer Reports. While the Ranger does have more problems, it isn't like it's a factor of 10 different; my rough guestimate is maybe 1.4 times the repairs for the Ranger vs. the Tacoma, so am budgeting just a little bit more for repairs.) That Ranger feels way different than my old pickup -- the Ranger is heavier and handles like a true down-to-earth truck, as contrasted to the old pickup's nimble, car-like feel.
  • Options
    curt2005curt2005 Member Posts: 70
    Looking at getting a Highlander. I have no use whatsoever for 3rd row seats. Can they be easily removed and stored in the garage? Or is it a big deal to get them out? Thanks
  • Options
    Can't be removed but folds totally flat and is unnoticeable under the rear carpet. We put ours down the day we picked it up and haven't used it since.
  • Options
    Finally! Somebody who agrees with me. I tried to get them out but it's very difficult. They are really useless because they are very small on the Highlander and very close to the rear of the car.
    (I know that many of you probably dis-agree with me on this. But I would prefer not to argue about this matter)
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    He didn't say they were useless. He said he has no use for them. I also don't have any use for them 99.5% of the time. But on the other 0.5% of the time, they really fit my need. Such as the few days I used the HL to carry myself, my wife, my mother, my sister-in-law and her 8-year-old twins.
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Toyota's little Secret: Yes, length and width dimensions remain the same but the interior cargo height is reduced by 1 or 2 inches, therefore volume is reduced.
  • Options
    Chances are if you need that extra 1" or 2" you need something bigger than a Highlander anyway.
  • Options
    Apols for my imprecise language. I do not need them. I would rather have the space they take up, even when folded. Should make the car a little lighter too.

Now that I think about it.. because of the safety issues involved in seats I would imagine that they are bolted down with many highly-torqued bolts therefore very hard to remove them for storage.
  • Options
    Even if you could remove it, you wouldn't have a nice flat floor like you do now. You'd have a big, ugly looking opening.
  • Options
    You can put some of the carpet in the hole. Then you have more space for luggage
  • Options
    I've rented a Highlander from Hertz for an extended test before buying. I like it very much except for the blind spot directly to the right.

Was driving at night. Drizzling. I signaled to make a lane change to the right and started the lane change. Frantic honking. There was a car directly to the right of me. Nearly wiped him out.

I went to a parking lot and experimented by pulling up next to parked small cars. A low dark car is simply not visible when it is in the lane to your right and the headlights are ahead of the right-hand mirror on the SUV.

* Unless the car has a very shiny, visible "greenhouse" there is just nothing to see looking to the right from the driver's seat through the high tinted side windows of the Highlander.

* The car's headlights are ahead of Highlander's side mirror, so no lights are showing in the mirror.

* The only clue that there is a car there is headlights illuminating the road.

Made the same experiment in parking lot with my conventional car -- much less of a hazard because I can see reflections on the side of the neighboring car out the un-tinted side windows of my car.

How do you folks avoid that problem?

Thanks!

Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I can't think of a vehicle that doesn't have blind spots where you mentioned, but on both sides. Best thing is to look over your shoulder when changing lanes.
  • Options
    I've never encountered that problem in 2 years of driving the Highlander. If your right mirror is adjusted correctly, there should be no blind spots. When a car in the adjacent line disappears from your rear view mirror, it should already be in your side mirror.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses.

At nighttime, I can see a low car car that is light-colored (because of the light roof), but not a gray or black one that is so low that the body isn't in line of sight -- due to the high side windows of the Highlander. Only the roof and "greenhouse" are visible.

If the car in the next lane is positioned so that their headlights are ahead of the Highlander's right hand mirror (which had raindrops on it), there was simply nothing to see except for their headlights on the road ahead.

Now that I think of it, my old car has sidelights that cast a little light on anything in the adjoining lanes.

Aha! My side mirror needs to be cocked down so that it might pick up shiny chrome or shiny rear wheels and wheelcovers of the adjoining dark car in the dark.

When I Googled this, I found lots of comments by bicyclists and motorcyclists warning each other about never riding next to an SUV. I can see why.

I think that another part of the answer is to accelerate when intending to change lanes so that your are sure that the lane next to you is clear. In other words, always assume that there is a Mini or a bicycle next to you that you can't see. And therefore surge ahead so that you are next to part of the lane that you know is empty.

I like the Highlander, but this was a very, very upsetting experience. Thanks for any help you can give.
  • Options
    nsfdbcnsfdbc Member Posts: 8
    I have a 02 V-6 Highlander w/85,000 miles. How difficult is this. What would a dealer charge for this service.