Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Request a replacement or repurchase for my defective 2022 GMC Yukon

AAAhmedAAAhmed Member Posts: 6
edited September 2023 in GMC
Hello all, If you have any thoughts on the following or know of anyone who has, please share them with me.
I want to request a replacement or repurchase for my defective 2022 GMC Yukon, which I purchased brand-new in January 2022. Since April 2022 and at 5000 (five thousand) miles, I have been experiencing a repeated Check Engine Light problem.

I have taken the vehicle to my local GMC dealer, who has involved GM Engineers, on seven [7] occasions to have the problem fixed, but they have not been able to resolve the issue. I am now concerned that this defect is built-in the vehicle itself.

We’ve been waiting and bringing the truck for frequent, lengthy repairs for more than a year and a half, and we’re tired of it. We have never performed two oil changes without visiting the repair facility for a check engine light issue in between. The failure of this new vehicle to pass the upcoming emissions test would be highly embarrassing for GMC and render the vehicle worthless. Our Toyota Highlander has been operating flawlessly for 11 (eleven) years, as well as a brand-new Kia Telluride. These trustworthy vehicles are better than a Yukon with manufacturing flaws in our opinion.

GMC is required by the Lemon Laws to replace or repurchase my truck due to this recurrent irreparable defect after all these attempts to fix it. I am therefore asking GMC to act to replace the vehicle for my family.

If you have any thoughts on this or know of anyone who has, please share them with me.
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,722
    edited September 2023
    I believe in my state if you have the car in for the same problem for 3 visits with it out of service for 15 cumulative days you are eligible for a buyback. From what I hear you can expect to be jerked around by both the dealer and the manufacturer.

Getting a lawyer might be your best best.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    Thank you oldframer50. That will be kept in mind. I think I was overly polite with them. Thanks again.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited September 2023
    Yeah…not sure where you’re located. But, GM uses Better Business Bureau for mediation in these cases. Have been there.

Several steps….

-Contact your Better Business Bureau and ask them the steps in your area for filing for Lemon Law. Generally speaking, the vehicle has to be out of service for 30 (total) days for the same issue. In other words, if you took the truck to the dealership and they had it for 15- 30 days (depends on the region) in total and still couldn’t fix it, it qualifies as a lemon. Alternately, if they failed to fix the same issue 3X, it would qualify as a lemon. The issue has to be serious. I consider a check engine light serious enough. But, GM will come back and say the truck was driveable and try to make a point that it’s not a lemon as a result.

-Document EVERYTHING……every service receipt, dates and times you dropped off the truck to the dealer, written receipts of their response and their inability to fix it and their responses.

-GM will ask for “one more change” before going to BBB arbitration. BBB will ask if that’s acceptable. If they do indeed fix it, great. If not, you have documentation that they couldn’t. Document this, also. Include it in the amount of time your truck has been out of commission.

-IF they can’t fix it, GM will offer to give you trade assistance to buy a new truck. Essentially, they’ll give you your purchase price back and offer another truck “at cost” (true dealer cost) for the swap.

-IF you turn that offer down, then you’ll go to BBB arbitration. You’ll present all your paperwork to the arbitrator. GM will probably have the Regional Rep and a local Lawyer representing them. Arbitrator will hear both sides and either rule in your favor (you give the truck back, GM gives you all your money back). Or, the arbitrator will rule in GM’s favor telling them to continue working with you to resolve the issue.

This process will not be quick. GM will try to drag this out as long as possible in the hopes that you’ll weaken and drop the buyback request. They’’re perfectly happy having you go to the dealership over and over again.

STick with it. Sounds like you have a good case.

Good luck!

2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I appreciate your exceptionally detailed information, graphicguy. Very beneficial.
    I have now made contact with them and am awaiting a response.
    But this is a really useful guide that you've supplied. I appreciate you taking the time. incredibly grateful.
    Thank you.