Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Land Rover Discovery and Discovery II

Comments

• Options
    weaz11223weaz11223 Member Posts: 1
    2001 Im having the same Problem > Started yesterday and I put New Battery let me know it you find anything I will do the same> Thanks John :cry:
  • Options
    mylandymylandy Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Land Rover discovery that was well maintained blew up in a snow drift,.... engine didnt even show as hot. Incinerated... I clled land rover and they told me there was a recall for that year for the same symptom but not that batch.. thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    drawlingsdrawlings Member Posts: 11
    1999 Discovery II - My stepson moved the passenger seat forward as far as possible, then tilted back forward as far as possible and now the seat won't respond to any switch actuations. I've checked all fuses. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    muntherizemuntherize Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Disco II SRS light came on when I replaced my CD Changer unit mounted under the passenger side. did electrical wire came loose or caused by moving the seat forward and back.
  • Options
    I own 2 discoveries 2003 models and both have 90K – 100K miles on them.
    Currently both cars are having identical problems.

When driving for 5-10 minutes, temperature light is on in the car is in over heated condition and NO HEAT is coming from the heater at all.
    If I turn the heater control off, the temperature gage drops back to normal.
    The vehicle under these conditions still drives okay but I am very concern.
    Any help or thoughts is appreciated.
  • Options
    Problems solved by replacing thermostats.
  • Options
    dutchlizdutchliz Member Posts: 1
    I am a recent purchaser of a 2003 LR DiscoveryII. I am interested in finding out how I can obtain a repair manual. My husband is very handy and we would love to try to do most of the work ourselves. If anyone knows how I can get my hands on one please let me know. It looks like we already need to do some research as just yesterday the service engine soon light came on just after 3 days of owning the vehicle. The dealer said it is probably the gas cap and to retighten the cap, drive 20 miles, then do the same thing. This did not make the light go off now when the car is sitting at a light if does not run smooth but seems to sputter faintly. Any ideas of what this could be?
  • Options
    nanuqnanuq Member Posts: 765
    Hey Disco99, long time no see.

Just checking in, I still have my '96 Disco and at 160k miles she's rock solid and runs like a champ. We moved way way way up into the mountains and I get to play at pulling cars out of ditches all winter. A good set of studded snows and she's unstoppable.

I'm still on my original rotors, about my 9th set of pads, I still run Rislone and Castrol GTX and a WIX 51515 filter, and change ALL fluids annually.

I do have one small complaint, almost all my dash bulbs are blown out. Those tiny little green bulbs are getting tough to find now.

Cheers! Enjoy the Rovin' !
  • Options
    loveandhatelr3loveandhatelr3 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    i have the same problem with my 2006 lr3 - water leaks into front passenger side; carpet gets soaked. i have two land rover dealers looked at the problem and have it fixed several times (i thought) but still right front carpet gets soaked after heavy rain. does anyone have or had the same problem with his/her lr3?? and how did you fix this problem? thx!
  • Options
    mrx7mrx7 Member Posts: 2
    mate had water leak in top front cnr of winscreen / a piller emded up being to rear top window seals and then it would run along to rail along the roof line inside the car
  • Options
    mrx7mrx7 Member Posts: 2
    mate had a small smash airbags didnt go off but after the accident the three amigo's appeared
    during repairs radio got left on draining battery to .01v. put new battery in now cant get srs light to go out it comes on for 2-4seconds then goes out and about 1-2seconds later it comes back on. also since battery was drained radio wont accept code screen just dims as you press the buttons also cruse contol wont come on. got a nanocom td5 diagnostic unit and its reporting no fault codes but i dont think its checking the dcu. any ideas or help out there
  • Options
    discoissuesdiscoissues Member Posts: 23
    Soooo, I have 129k on my '02 Disco. I've done just about everything that need be done with that kind of mileage... blown head gasket, water pump, manifold gasket and related coolant gaskets, plug wires, etc. She now is idealing rough and the codes are indicated o2 senors. Do I need to change all 4 out... 2 on both sides. Is that forsure the problem?
    Thx, Al
  • Options
    lovemylr98lovemylr98 Member Posts: 1
    OK, So I love my 98 Land Rover Discovery V8i!!!! Its my teenage Dream vehicle! I purchased it about 3 years ago from an influential family in my hometown. After about a year and a half of no noticeable problems, my brakes failed to work. I was on my way to work and as I was leaving my parking spot, I pressed down on the brakes and they had a "spongey feel" (for lack of a better description) when I tried to stop. This was the first time it had ever done that! I took the SUV to several repair shops and all of them said that it was the BRAKES! Well, I figured that! But in conversing with a few "at home mechanics", they mention that it could be that the brake line needs to be bleed. I have NO IDEA what that means. So I guess the reason that I am posting my comment/question is to see if any other Discovery V8i owner has had similar problems? If so, please reply to my post and share any advice that will be helpful, seeing that I truly love my SUV and do not want to sell it for parts!
    Thanks in Advance

E. Davis
    Raleigh NC
  • Options
    You probably have a crack in one of your brake lines. When you have someone replace the lines (there's 1 line on each side of your front brakes) they will 'bleed' your brakes. Should be a fairly inexpensive fix. I have an '02 Disco II. love it but always ongoing $$$ maintenance....
    Good luck,
    Al
  • Options
    Yes... it was the o2 sensors. Only had to replace the 'bank 2' (cylinders 5-8) as that is what the codes indicated. $65 per o2 sensor and it was a pretty easy fix. She's running great!
  • Options
    128k mikes on my Disco. I have had to replace this flange twice now. It is leaking again.... Any suggestions??? :confuse:
  • Options
    98discotex198discotex1 Member Posts: 6
    The '98 Disco is currently parked- diagnosed by a local English repair person, as the Brake Modulator. It's got 130K miles, driven by my 18 year old son who desperately wants to keep it. The part NEW (which I'm told is no longer made) priced at over $3,000. I see them "used" all over e-Bay and at Roverland Parts for $250. Have been able to determine it's not the "brain," but the modulator. The mechanic refuses to install the used modulator due to liability issues- which in this day and time- I'm not sure I blame him. I've also read about a valve repair kit.
    Might any fellow Roverists have dealt with this issue or have installed a used part? Would really like to replace it as it's extremely safe to him to drive.
    Am prepared to completely re-do the fluid throughout the system. It's had the master cylinder replaced already as well.
    Have been scouring the net to find as much information as possible with mixed findings.
    Thanks! Rick in TX
  • Options
    Hey guys, just saying hi, my '96 Disco continues to amaze. I added a '63 Series 2a to the stable last week, and she's an absolute HOOT to drive. With 66,000 miles on the clock and all documentation back to day 1, I couldn't be happier.

Say hello to the old gal!

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hm, no view of the Inlet from that angle so maybe you are up toward Eagle River. Looks like a big patch of snow in the background but I guess that's a neighbor's roof. Either way, you'll get some use out of this puppy pulling people out of the ditches up there. Pretty sweet. :shades:
  • Options
    Hey Steve! Long time no see.

If you look above the passenger glass, between those two trees you'll see McKinley. We're way up in Bear Valley now, with 110mph breezes and 8 foot snowdrifts. Yeah this old girl has her work cut out for her! :shades:

Cheers!
  • Options
    gws0126gws0126 Member Posts: 1
    I just installed an aftermarket radio and have a similar sounding problem. Could someone please send me the info on the Audi fix??
  • Options
    discokiddiscokid Member Posts: 2
    I am compelling information about Land Rover, V 8 engine failures; more specifically in Discovery II & P38 with engine blocks casted from aluminum alloy - including Throttle Body Coolant Heater Flange. If you have any knowledge of people who have had to replace their engines because of failures, please have them contact me.
  • Options
    Yes, I had to do a head job on my 2002 Disco II because of overheating from a failure of the Throttle Body Coolant Flange. Since then I have had to replace the flange 3 times. Works great for a while and then starts to leak again. Definitely a problem!
    Al
  • Options
    evaliciousevalicious Member Posts: 1
    I just purchase a 96 Disco with 160 k miles 3 days ago. She needs a lifter and it shimmys a bit when I drive faster around 45 to 50. I got her for a good price and wants to put money into it and keep her for another 150 thousand miles. Any words of wisdom?
  • Options
    For the shimmy, easiest fix is to replace the damper on the tie rod. Probably the wheel bearings and/or swivels (trunion bushings) are loose. Not a huge deal, but do get them repacked or snugged up or replaced.

Is the lifter dead? Completely stuck? Noisy? Usually that's from prior owners not keeping the oil fresh. Try Seafoam a couple weeks in the crankcase, then drain and put on a new WIX 51515 filter, and do it again. A couple cycles of that will do wonders. Keep your lubes fresh; oil is always cheaper than metal.

Now is time to replace ALL the fluids. Even the brake fluid. Use a turkey baster to remove and replenish the power steering ATF. Drain and refill the auto trans 3x over a month, that gets pretty much all the ATF replaced.

Check your rotoflex coupler for cracks, replace all the hoses, make sure the PCV breathers are open on each cylinder bank, make sure the throttle body fittings are not gunked up inside where the hose attached.

If you have any electrical weirdness take apart the fusible link box near the battery, take all the guts out (philips screwdriver does it) and clean all the contacts with a pencil eraser and blow out the debris.

Hit all the locks and hinges with some graphite powder, and... ENJOY THAT BEAUTY!

Cheers!
  • Options
    stuartsdstuartsd Member Posts: 3
    This is some of the best common sense advice I have read on this forum. The Disco is a great vehicle and will last a lifetime if all the fluids etc. are kept up to scratch. Routine maintenance is what it's called.
    Remember the old "Lucas" electrics? Nobody in the US could fathom them. I drove thousands of miles with not a problem, ever.
    SSD.
  • Options
    cmiles97cmiles97 Member Posts: 17
    I was thinking of upgrading from an extremely reliable 2001 Cherokee (not grand) sport 4x4 with 141,000 miles on her to a 2002 Disco II with 99,000 on it from a Land Rover dealer for an asking price $5,500. The Land Rover is a beautiful looking vehicle in great shape. I couldn't believe I could get this gorgeous $50,000 vehicle at such a reasonalbe price after only 8 years of service.

After reading the forum my plain old easy to fix, cheap parts Jeep is looking a whole lot prettier.

Thanks for all those that have posted so that future buyers will not go into a purchase blind to the issues.
  • Options
    lta313lta313 Member Posts: 1
    Own a 2003 LR Disco II with aftermarket 3” lifts, steel bumpers, rock sliders and all terrain tires., etc. (also, when the bumpers were installed they said they had to disconnect the airbags, it that makes any difference). 73K miles; these days only occasional and moderate off road use and not driven daily. Our aftermarket installer/repair guy has gone out of business.

For some time, been having ABS, traction control and hill descent lights coming on after a hard or firm brake, which sounded like a stuck shuttle valve. Local repair guys and dealer basically said just ignore it until it got worse.

It just did, with brake peddle losing any pressure and “going to the floor”.

Dealer says need to replace the modulator (with big $$ involved). Having read the various forums, it seems that with that type problem no one talks about replacing the modulator, but rather either the brake lines were cracked or needed to be bled.

Don’t really understand how to check whether the modulator needs to be replaced, the lines bled or replaced, but the latter would be obviously much less expensive.

I’d welcome, and thanks in advance, for any comments.

LTA313
  • Options
    gstar52gstar52 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 97 Disco 1 with 85000k-so far so good -shimmy over 65 in front end -And needs tires soon -all you Disco owners out there I'm tring to research the best tires for Hway & also that are ok in snow --I know its hard to get the best quiet Hway ride & steering response & still get descent snow traction--Anyone have input on best tires out there for disco's with out going broke -Also what the 1st place to look for the shimmy if new fronts and a wheel balance doesn't do it ?
    Thanx
  • Options
    mlollermloller Member Posts: 3
    I took my 02 discovery into the shop for an oil leak. When I picked up the truck the am/fm radio will not work. The stereo will switch between am and fm and different channels but there is no sound and the weather band says no WB. The cassete tape and cd player work fine. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Is it an absolute necessity to use FULL synthetic oil as oppose to SEMI synthetic oil in the auto tranny?? I think the mechanic who did it used semi rather than full.....
    Thx,
    Al
  • Options
    lrmikedlrmiked Member Posts: 1
    rowjimmy76; Your problem is identicle to mine. I actually parked the Disco and fired up the RR Classic untill I fixure this out. What was the solution?
  • Options
    mattt1988mattt1988 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 disco series II. I have had nothing,but problems! I have had all brakes and the rotors done,my battery keeps draining when turned off have had the alternator replaced thinking that would fix the battery issue,but no go.Oil leaks from every were,stero cuts out,alarm goes of for no reason,and now wont start up maybe bad fuel pump,filter? Wish i never bought this heap of crap! What is the big deal with them anyway? Any feed back will be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    climbnomorclimbnomor Member Posts: 1
    I just began having the same problem , I thought that because it over heated one morning & I opened the radiator cap to soon , ( antifreeze went everywhere ) that maybe something got wet and shorted something out to give false readings ? Well its been going on for three weeks now , plugs are not the problem . I even thought it might be a clogged fuel filter , or bad injectors !!!!! I have driven from Dallas Texas , to K.C. Missouri , and to Bellville illinois. Once rita gets moving @ a constant speed . she runs like new .. But as soon as I slow down the whole thing starts over again with the jerking and loos of power . Will that modulator work ??????????
  • Options
    microbellmicrobell Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Disco 2, ex-td5 AND immobilizer problems.
    Ex-td5 because changed Motor/transmission to OM617, 4 speed MB auto trans & original (adapted) transference so it retains AWD. Having problems with ()&/!$·(&)·! alarm. Would like to replaced with a commercial brand new, disconnect, disasemble, remove, erase, waste the original /(%$&&!·")=·? alarm.

Could some body help?? If need I could give proof of ownership.

tks

homero
  • Options
    abutomaabutoma Member Posts: 21
    It is possible to override the immobilizer as I have done. I have a switch so when the immobilizer is playing up I "click" and off we go.
    Of course it is possible to remove the factory one and replace it. Quite som work though.
    Let me know a bit more, and I might be able to advise you.
    Salut!
  • Options
    Dear sir: The immobilizer/alarm of my ex-td5 disco 2 2001 has a tendency to act whenever it should not, at the worst moment. I would like your help to remove/disable for good/turn off/shut off/delte/erase the blesed alarm system altogether. Here, nobody wants to steal a landy so old (or new, by the way). Iĺl be indebt with you like forever for helping me getting rid of the O&/()&*I(&/*** immobilizer.

Best regards

homero gonzalez
    owner of a 2001 Disco 2 ex-TD5
  • Options
    Sir, pls let me know how to install the switch to immobilize the immobilizer

best regards

homero
  • Options
    I am sorry that I am not permitted by the rules of THIS forum to answer you directly. And I cannot give a detailed description on how to override the immobilizer due to safety. If I write it here, anybody interested in stealing a Disco will know how to.
    But it involves the "under the dash box" on the passenger side and the immobilizer itself behind the dashboard.
    Get in touch with the Landrover dealer and try to get some more info from them.
    Again, sorry.....
    And good luck! I would have sold my Disco if I hadn't found the solution to the problem, so I know your problem.
  • Options
    irish08irish08 Member Posts: 1
    204k, 2002 disco s ll, how good are these trucks.
  • Options
    Pls Sir, need to get in contact with you, by Email, Telephone or PM, as you like.

tks

homero
  • Options
    Dear Homero,
    where in the world are you?
  • Options
    Hello sir; I´m at the Dominican Republic, a small island in the caribbean, between Puerto Rico, Cuba and Jamaica. We share 1/3 of the island with Haiti.

We dont have an insurance issue if we have / have not the immo, and sincerelly, its not worth to have it.

If you would like pls send email with instructions how to insulate/eliminate the ()/·"** thing.

tks

homero
  • Options
    I do not have your Email address nor your family name.
    Try extending the antenna on the box. In many cases that will partly solve the problems of getting the immobilizer to release, and you can start the engine.
    The antenna comes from terminal 26 on the box [Alarm ECU] which sits in the passengers foot-well behind the panel. And you extend it to go up to the front screen and across to the other side.
    lr4x4
  • Options
    Hello, I had to replace the head gasket the first time around 89k. Now I'm at 150k and she blew another one... and I actually can see the small area on the head where the coolant is leaking from (not too bad). My question is... has anybody use "K-Seal" to give it a temporary fix. I've done some research online and many say it works???

I am a glutton for punishment having owned my Disco since 50k. I love the car but it seems the #1 problem with these is the cooling systems... they tend to want to leak from any and every place possible. That being said, I'm not sure I want to do another head job.

Thanks in advance for comments and advise....
  • Options
    discokiddiscokid Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear, however the ONLY resolution is a new Mitchel Cotts engine. I still have my 1994 which is fine, but our 2004 blow two head gasket and the only remedy was a new engine. If you need help I have a great Land Rover mech. in Fairfield, CT. who can get the engine and install it. Not cheap...

Stephen
  • Options
    0myangela0myangela Member Posts: 7
    $599 dealer fee
    $400 new tag
    $60 Rental Surcharge
    $5 Tire Fee
    $1.50 Battery Fee
    $2 Lemon Law Fee
    $218 First Payment Due
  • Options
    victourbvictourb Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2014

@shap1 said:
    Tincup47:
    Try Reeves Automotive in TAMPA that'where mine came from

Been to South Dade to test drive and check out the interior. I won't be ready to do anything until October, so we'll see what the situation is then. I am planning to contact North and South Dade, Naples and Orlando. I wonder if these dealerships are competitive, particularly Land Rover North and South.

• Options
    oldfitdocoldfitdoc Member Posts: 2
    For tincup47. Vin salty124xwa753646 any info pls First placed in service on 12/20/97. Glen Cove NY. 130K now. No info after 22,500 until 75k ( 5/3/01) than 82,500 ( 2/27/02-81,333miles ). Than nothing. Last two done in Darien CT. Thanks Rick