Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Rav4, 170K miles, connecting rod noise

ws1511ws1511 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2023 in Toyota
Was looking at buying a 2010 Rav4 with about 170K miles. Looked pretty good aside from needing new rear wheel bearings. Wanted a mechanic to take a look, so the seller dropped the car off Wednesday night at a local mechanic’s for a Thursday morning check-up. After sitting out all night there was a rattling noise in the engine in the morning on startup—very brief, then seemed to go away. Mechanic is 100% sure it’s the connecting rod. He said to me: “I don’t know if this engine will last 5000, 10000 miles, or more, but it’s going.”

Haven’t dealt with such a serious issue but this was a bummer after investing a lot of time in this car (good though, if we indeed caught a serious problem problem). Seller and I had been talking about selling for $4.5K—seller is now willing to go down to $4K. My priority is something reliable though, so think this is too much of a gamble.

Any thoughts? Any similar experiences?

Comments

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,648
    ws1511 said:

Was looking at buying a 2010 Rav4 with about 170K miles. Looked pretty good aside from needing new rear wheel bearings. Wanted a mechanic to take a look, so the seller dropped the car off Wednesday night at a local mechanic’s for a Thursday morning check-up. After sitting out all night there was a rattling noise in the engine in the morning on startup—very brief, then seemed to go away. Mechanic is 100% sure it’s the connecting rod. He said to me: “I don’t know if this engine will last 5000, 10000 miles, or more, but it’s going.”

Haven’t dealt with such a serious issue but this was a bummer after investing a lot of time in this car (good though, if we indeed caught a serious problem problem). Seller and I had been talking about selling for $4.5K—seller is now willing to go down to $4K. My priority is something reliable though, so think this is too much of a gamble.

Any thoughts? Any similar experiences?

————————————————
    That mechanic might be right. But, I’d like to see it sit out on a cool night at least a few more times which you probably don’t have the luxury of doing. Given what you know so far I wouldn’t want the car.

Don’t let the cost of the inspection bother you, that was info you had to pay to get so you didn’t end up buying a bucket of bolts. Just swallow hard and look at another car.

Good luck.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's.
    '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,758
    The cost of the inspection just saved you $4,000. Be happy and move on to the next one.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,706
    you paid for the inspection for a reason. Potentially heading off a very expensive mistake. Be glad you did, and keep looking. Even if it was a different problem (something like loose timing gear) that is still a major problem.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,420
    Yep- keep looking...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport-2020 C43-2021 Sahara 4xe-1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica
    Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i
    Son's: 2018 330i xDrive