Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

starter won't turn engine

macccmaccc Member Posts: 4
edited December 2023 in Chrysler
I have a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country and I replaced the engine. After installing the new engine, there is a scraping sound when I turn the engine with a cheater bar. The starter can not turn the engine (this is a new starter). My torque converter has been properly connected to the flex plate (I used the old flex plate from the previous engine). I have also tried to remove the serpentine belt and bar the engine over, but the sound is still there. The only way I can turn the engine is with the help of a cheater bar and is extremely stiff. I am at a loss as to what is causing this problem.

Some additional information that may be useful: The van has 220,000 miles. We replaced the transmission 30,000 miles ago and was working fine when the engine died a few months ago. We just replaced the engine with a used engine that has around 60,000 miles.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    Will the engine turn normally with the torque convertor unbolted from the flex plate?
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    You might have a damaged front pump in the transmission. Sometimes the convertor slips out of the pump when the two are apart and then the convertor binds up as the engine is tightened to transmission. Can you move the convertor easily with it unbolted from the flexplate?
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    @thecardoc3
    can you replace the front pump without rebuilding the transmission?
  • Options
    If the front pump was damaged by the convertor not being in the correct position during assembly, you would have difficulty moving it when unbolted from the flex plate. Let me ask this again just to be sure.

Is it easier to turn the engine over if the torque convertor is unbolted from the flex plate, AND does it become difficult to turn if they are connected? Does the noise go away with the convertor separated from the flex plate and the noise is only there when they are connected?

Does the convertor move easily in and out of the transmission and turn easily when it is unbolted from the flex plate?

All "Yeses" doesn't make any sense.....