Options

95-96 tranny problems

HorsepoorestHorsepoorest Member Posts: 1
edited February 9 in Ford

I had a 95 f250 7.3 automatic.. went thru several trannys.. the guy that rebuilt them
For me said that if your 3rd brake light goes out it can smoke your tranny within a mile.. my bulb was BURNT.. the glass was warped and burnt..
I found a forum back then that it was talked about..
my bf just got a f150 with tranny pronblems.. I jokingly said check your 3rd brake light.. it was warped and BURNT..
just wondering if anyone else has had this same [non-permissible content removed] happen.. my dad thought I was plumb crazy when I told him that then he saw the bulb..

Answers

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited February 11
    What is happening is with the bulb being bad (circuit open) and the way the brake switch works, voltage builds on the circuit until it gets high enough that the transmission control module thinks you have applied the brakes, so it disengages the torque convertor clutch. If the bulb was intact, there would be a path to ground, so no voltage rise occurs. The torque convertor clutch locks up the torque convertor so there is no torque multiplication occurring inside it. That prevents it from generating a lot of heat. But when it's disengaged all of the time especially in older units when the cooling system might be weak, the heat that gets built up damages the transmission.