Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    casecom2casecom2 Member Posts: 72
    Juice: the 03s I saw had Geolandars, and the C&D review lists "Yokohama Geolandar G900." But Tirerack.com lists several different kinds of Geolandar HTs, and CR does not specify which one they tested. So: panic attack over. Carry on ;)
  • Options
    cschaafcschaaf Member Posts: 16
    That seems to be the case here, as well. When we took it in the first time the squeaking stopped for a month or so, then returned. I knew that there wasn't a safety issue, but it is annoying. Oh well, the wife drives it more than I do. She'll never hear the squeak above the radio.

Thanks to all for your responses
    Chris
  • Options
    kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Do you mean, there is no lumbar support at all in Forester 2003? I thought it was, with essentially on/off position but no intermediate settings...
    please clarify if possible!
    --Kate, with (sometimes) back problems
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    referred to the lack of lumbar support on the front PASSENGER'S seat, not the driver's seat.

Ross
  • Options
    alsana1alsana1 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Kate.

Ross is correct. There is no manual adjustment (lever) for lumbar support on the passenger seat. Same goes with height adjustment (round knob). Both are available on the driver's seat, though.

If such adjustments were available on the older generation (as Juice commented earlier), then it is a shame that Subaru decided to delete it in the current model. Frankly, I don't think it would have added much to manufacturing costs to have provided them. Having said that, seats are nice and comfy for all occupants, including rear seat passengers. I think the Forester shall be a fine and comfortable vehicle for long-distance travel.

Back seat leg room is adequate, and this is coming from a 6'1" guy. Certainly not spacious, as with current model cr-v, but more than what is available in the '02 Forester, which I had the opportunity to sit in at the showroom.

Have no regrets not opting for leather. Premium cloth looks good, feels good, and should prove durable, but only time will tell. Heated seats work well and are definitely a welcome touch.

I now have a little over 100km on the vehicle. Everything seems to be going well with the car. On the highway, the only thing one hears is wind noise around the A-pillar. Everything else is well-muted. Keep in mind that wind noise is only noticeable with radio off. At 100 km/h, engine rolls at 2200 r.p.m (AT); and at 120 km/h, around 3,000 - 3,100 r.p.m. Have not pushed her significantly further during this break-in period.

Initial vehicle launch from stand-start is brisk, perhaps a bit too brisk. Have to ease gently into accelerator from stop-light in order to avoid the kind of "jack-rabbit" starts that the vehicle tends to exhibit. Perhaps its just part of the break-in process and the ecu learning-process. But its not that bad, and certainly more preferable than a vehicle that is slow to launch from start.

Breaks are terrific. I have heard others complain of "mushy" break feel in their Subaru's. I cannot comment similarly. Pedal feel and modulation is very, very good. No complaints here.

Java Black Pearl finish is real sharp. Looks metallic to me, with all those little flecks in the paint. And with the tinted windows, gunmetal grey mirrors and door handles, vehicle is stunning to look at. Sure makes the 16" alloy wheels stand out.

To confirm what others have said previously, vehicle comes with Yokohama Geolanders G900 with white letters on sidewall, and which tires I understand to be different (and improved) from the Geo HTs listed in Tirerack.com. No complaints here on tire performance or noise in the short time that I've had the vehicle.

The Forester replaces a '93 Honda Civic Si (AT) that was noisy under acceleration and underwhelming in performance. The Forester sits in my garage next to a '96 Lexus ES300, and it's compact size, nimbleness, and fun-to-drive factor makes it a a wonderful counter-point to the Lexus. If there is one word that I would use to describe the Subie, it would be: balance.

-alan
  • Options
    alsana1alsana1 Member Posts: 5
    Just my break...can't spell brake! Time to accelerate my diction. Forgiveness, all.

-alan

...we now return to our regular scheduled forum posts.
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    We just got back from Albuquerque yesterday. Another great trip in our 2002 Forester L. 30+ MPG going up @65 mph. 25+ MPG going hither and thither in-town, plus some highway driving. 26+ MPG coming back @75 mph. The air conditioner was running every blessed minute.

Galles Subaru still had a lot of 2002 Foresters in stock -- we passed there about half a dozen times as we went to and fro.

We saw no 2003 Foresters "in the wild".

I continue to be astounded how many Subarus I see driving around Albuquerque. Six in the parking lot of REI on our first stop there (four Foresters, including ours, a Legacy wagon, an Outback -- and when we came out, we even saw a WRX sedan with a bike rack on top). And every where we went there were Outbacks and Foresters, and the occasional Legacy, Impreza, Outback Sport, and WRX. It is not quite like Colorado Springs (where you cannot throw a rock without hitting a Subaru...and boy do they get mad (bu-du-rumb-bump)), but pretty close.

The Yuki the Forester was a delight on our trip. Acceleration superb. Handling superb. Great comfort driving there and back, and around town. The air conditioner -- what joy!

For those that are curious: Arizona is on fire and the smoke is blowing across New Mexico. We smelled smoke all the way up to ALB. All the National Forests are closed now. Gila closed last night. One can still camp here and there, but one can't do anything while one is camping. No fires. No hiking. And NM has has a fire of its own here and there, and with every storm there's a new little fire caused by lightning.
  • Options
    rexaroorexaroo Member Posts: 174
    Don't have any figures on the Forester, but Boulder County, Colorado claims to have more registered Outbacks than any other county in the country. When I last had our car serviced at Flatirons Subaru in Boulder--went into town and called for the shuttle car to pick me up--had to call back twice to verify which color and version (old or new) the shuttle Outback was because when I looked for the Flatirons driver, seemed like every fifth car passing on the street was an Outback!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    My bad, Alan. Why don't you drive? :-)

My wife's Legacy also has a less linear throttle pedal, compared to my Forester. Bob once mentioned the same thing to me about his 2001 Forester, so I wonder when Subaru decided to change the throttle mechanism. It's mechanical (not by wire), and my wife's even looks different than mine.

The good news is the ECU is smart. It has "learned" how my wife drives, and adjusted accordingly, so now it operates more smoothly. I can't say how it did that exactly, maybe leaning out the fuel mixture? But it worked.

I hope they get rain out there, please Mama Nature!

BTW, got that 6CD changer and installed it today. Piece of cake! Much, much easier than in the Legacy. Took me 30 minutes, if that. Remove the brake handle cover, then the shifter surround, pop off the console surround. The radio's bracket is modular and comes off so easily it's not even funny.

I skipped a couple of steps in there. You have to remove the shifter knob, and the ashtray, but that's about it.

The 6CD changer replaces the open storage bin below the old tape player, but it sounds great. It may be that CDs sound so much better than tapes, but I'll thrilled with the sound, personally.

You gotta love it - 6 CDs fed in right in front of you, plus Weather Band, plus a tape player, so I didn't give anything up.

I found it by posting a Want To Buy ad on i-Club classifieds. $150 plus we split $10 shipping, so $155 delivered. There are plenty more if anyone is interested, so I suggest you do the same, because it is cheap, easy, quick, and increased the resale value so you get your money back anyway. I may even try to sell the tape player on eBay, who knows.

Sandy is a happy camper, and so am I!

-juice
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    Juice,

I seem to have missed your previus post regarding this changer. What kind is it. Is it a radio/changer out of a WRX? Was it a plug & play as far as wiring goes or did you have to do a rewire?

Thanks

Chuck
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Curious if any of you have received the Forester "Best of Both Worlds" mailer from SoA yet. I got one on Friday, logged into the site http://www.BestOfBothWorlds.info , entered ID code and password from the mailer and "won" a wireless mouse emblazoned with the Forester logo and SoA's URL. You're supposedly also entered into a drawing to win $3000 worth of goods from LL Bean as a result.

I picked the mouse up at my local dealer on Saturday but didn't have time to test drive an '03 Forester (which I guess is the ultimate goal of the promotion).

Ed

• Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    After 7500+ miles with my '02 Subaru Forester S, I'm happy to say that it's been the most pleasant car I've owned so far. Of course, I'm still waiting on that winning lottery ticket that will allow me to buy a used McLaren F1, but that's another story.

Still have trouble with the automatic transmission hesitation, but I'm hoping to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery soon. Just need someone to confirm that my remote keyless entry settings won't be lost or need to be reprogrammed. I'm fine with reprogramming the radio presets. That's easy.

Gas mileage has settled out for the most part. I've gotten the following MPG values between the past few trips to the pump:

- City driving
    - 242.6 miles / 15.011 gallons
    - 16.2mpg

- City driving
    - 281.1 miles / 15.211 gallons
    - 18.5mpg

- Highway driving
    - 356.1 miles / 13.662 gallons
    - 26.1mpg

- Highway driving
    - 362.1 miles / 13.708 gallons
    - 26.4mpg

Those last two times, my wife wouldn't let me get too far with the fuel warning light coming on. Hence only 13 gallons or so of fuel consumed. She hates it when I test the limits. ;-)

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    I reset my ECU on my '99 Forester a month or so ago. You WILL NOT lose your keyless entry codes. In fact, I didn't even have to reprogram my radio presets - only my clock.

If you have the security system upgrade, you should follow the instructions in the installation supplement that instructs you to pull the fuses on perform a reset sequence when reconnecting the battery. Do a search for post #6515 for more details on how I did this.

Elliot
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    "Those last two times, my wife wouldn't let me get too far with the fuel warning light coming on. She hates it when I test the limits. ;-)"

LOL. My wife is the same way. I always try to use a full tank of gas to keep my records consistent. I've driven as long as half an hour (highway) with the light on and it drives Mrs. Varmint nutty. I got away with it until a few months back when I hit the bottom of the tank a mile away from the local Mobil. Now, she won't let me forget it. =)
  • Options
    lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Varmit....I'm on Mrs Varmits side on this one. Its generally NOT a good pracice to run your fuel tank down to the bottom. Thats where all the junk accumulates and eventually you are going to have issues with either your fuel filter (easy) OR your injectors (not easy).
    Your gas mileage WILL be the same whether you get down to that stuff or not.

Mrs Varmit is displaying the better judgement.

OK....just my .02
  • Options
    I tried driving up the hill (steep) outside of my office parking lot last week when the light was on, and the poor car hestiated as usual. I gunned it and waited for it to kick in, when I realized that...um..."Crap, Mike. You might be out of gas." Thankfully, I made it to the station up the road. A definite "Whew!" in the 'Book of Mistakes You Shouldn't Make or You'll Never Hear the End of It from The Wife.' (Available at Amazon.com now!) ;-p

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    This is not a Forester story, but it fits right about here. Once upon a time I told my wife I'd drive her car to the dealer for a check-up before an impending trip and she could drive my car to work. My car was an '89 Honda Accord that had grown a little older and a little cranky about starting cold. So I quickly schooled my wife in how to start it -- a very simple procedure, if you knew how -- and left with her car: she was to go to work in about a half hour. When I came back with her car -- the check-up was quick enough and clean -- I found my car still parked where I'd left it. Before I said anything about her not being able to start my car, I thought I'd better try to start it myself. I could not! It would not start for love or money. It was flat out of gas! I'd known it was a little low -- like warning light on low -- but it had gotten me home, and I didn't think it was so low that it was completely out. But it was. So I used my wife's car to go and fill a little gallon can. Then I delivered my wife's car to her place of work and finagled a trip back home. Then I call her and began apologizing the moment she answered.
  • Options
    Chuck: yes, from a WRX.

Ed: get me on that mailing list! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    varmint,

Have you ever watched that episode of Seinfeld where Kramer takes out a Saab for a test drive? ;-)

Ken
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    juice: I suspect that as a current Forester owner you're already on the list.

Ed
  • Options
    Hope so!

-juice
  • Options
    Absolutely the best car dealership/service center I've EVER been too got sold while I was out of town this weekend. Conley Isuzu-Subaru of Decatur, GA is OUT OF BUSINESS and now Royal Isuzu-Subaru! They moved to a new location, and NO ONE knows who from the old dealership is still there!

POOP ON A STICK WITH A SIDE OF FRIES! Just when I think I've got the best car AND the best place to go for service and help. I won't be back in the boards. I'm going to drive myself and my Subaru off a cliff now. :-\ (Just kidding...maybe...yeah...I am.)

Upset,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    that episode is freakin' hilarious. just how far can you go before the gas tank is empty - kramer will let you know.

-Brian
  • Options
    kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Saturday went to García Subaru (Albuquerque, NM) for a test drive. No 2002's on the lot, but we were there for the 2003 X MT. I thought I liked the Sierra Gold until my wife "convinced" me otherwise. Aside from the color conundrum (we now both agree on the Pacifica blue, the green is just way to dark), I loved everything, especially the handling. The 2003 Forester feels small but light, quick and nimble. The feeling of grip I got on curves reminded me of my Toyota Tacoma in 4WD on a dirt road, of course without the about-to-roll-over feeling and the teeth-chattering suspension trucks have. It steers great! Felt good to accelerate out of a curve and the distribution of power between the axles is noticeable...
    As far as the interior, the beige is very bright and my wife and i agreed that it would be very easy to get it dirty QUICK! Loved all the places to put stuff in: the dashboard, the glovebox, the place under the stereo and a place for sunglasses (2 pairs!). I liked the mesh pockets but wasn't too thrilled with the brushed silver look of the center panel. I guess it will match my HandEra... Didn't realize that there was an outside temp gauge. Does anyone know if and how you can switch it to Celsius?? I thought perhaps the control for the tripmeter would do, but no. (Will i have to swap the computer chip from a Canadian model when no one is looking?? ;-P )
    The driving position felt comfortable (I'm 175cm or ~5.83 ft or ~5'10") although the shifter seemed positioned a bit too far back. The back seats also had enough room IMHO. Mirrors and large windows really give you a LOT of visibility. Thumbs up for Subaru's door design (non-framed doors).
    One big consideration for us is space. When folded, the seats are pretty much flat. I was hoping that they would provide enough space to sleep in the back and i think it is doable, but probably with the tailgate open and your toes sticking out. I am curious about the material that was used for the floor. Seems like some kind of foam that you could cut to your liking with a utility knife, say, to alter the shape of the umbrella storage (which i want to use for a come-along). It feels kind of cheap. Otherwise, it is nice to see a plug and 2 cubby holes for storage in the back as well as the cover.
    I told the dealer that I did some research on the net and talked with another dealership in town (both true), no trade-in, got financing, the manager came back with invoice price!! They must be selling quick, so that their $$$ comes from kickback. Judging by goldencouple's post (amt of Subarus at REI), it might be the case.

Whew, long post, got carried away with my impressions. I like the new Forester! Got a couple of pics that i can post if anyone is interested.

tom
  • Options
    Did you buy it? Just curious.

Here's a tip: if you want to sleep in it, fold the front passenger seat, too. Move it forward, then remove the head rests and recline it all the way. You could have your feet towards the front and fit with the hatch closed.

I've hauled lots of 8' lumber, including 4"x4"s, so I know there is plenty of space.

-juice
  • Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Lakepop - Good point. Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to run your tank all the way down. Frequently running out of gas, or making it "slurp" for the remaining dregs, can have adverse affects on a fuel pump as well.

However, I don't think driving a few miles past the indicator is all that bad. You can never truly "empty" your tank by driving it. Most gas tanks have a lip or reservoir where a little gas remains, but cannot be pulled into the pipe. The sediment you mentioned ends up there. At least, that was the case with the last Chevy I owned.

Kens - I remember an episode where Jerry's mechanic car-napped the Saab, but not Kramer's gas test. I guess I need to spend less time on the net and more in front of the tube. =)
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I never watched the show. There might be one or two other Americans out there who haven't either.
    What was the premise of Kramer's gas test?

Also, with regard to
    "Lakepop - Good point. Generally speaking it isn't a good idea to run your tank all the way down. Frequently running out of gas, or making it "slurp" for the remaining dregs, can have adverse affects on a fuel pump as well.":
    This is indeed true. It helps to remember that gasoline is a coolant that the pump, and even cylinders "appreciate."
    Joe
  • Options
    kajkokajko Member Posts: 70
    Juice-
    Nope, have to wait for my friend to buy my truck plus don't want to give the bank my business...The day is coming though. Thanks for the tip about the seats, never crossed my mind.

t.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    KRAMER: Listen to me. When that car rolls into that dealership, and that tank is bone dry, I want you to be there with me when everyone says, "Kramer and that other guy, oh, they went further to the left of the slash than anyone ever dreamed!"

The Dealership

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    Good to know there are other Seinfeld fans out here.

Steve -- That episode is a classic. "High-five" and "The Twix line-up" are all in it.

varmint -- That episode was funny too.

Okay, enough OT stuff. Back to the topic:

Did anyone else look at the IIHS results. The Forester improved quite a bit from the previous generation. Two aluminum bars in the front bumper compared to the typical one in passenger vehicles seemed to help.

Ken
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    thank Steve for that script find. Classic!

-Brian
  • Options
    conroeconroe Member Posts: 13
    from West Houston Subaru. It's an XS Premium, Sierra Gold with beige leather. They traded for it with a dealership near Dallas and hadn't seen a gold one before mine arrived, but after seeing it say they are going to try to get some more in that color combo. (I wanted the beige interior, since grey leather doesn't really appeal to me for the Houston heat and humidity).

For extras, it has the security system, auto-dimming mirror, tail pipe cover, armrest extension, air filtration (a must here in Pollen and Pollution City), cargo bin and all the nets in the back.

So far, I love it. I'm going from a 1999 Audi A-4 2.8 Quattro, so the AWD is something I'm used to and now don't want to do without. I had the sport package on the Audi, with a fairly stiff suspension, so the Forester is actually smoother on the road. I haven't yet noticed much difference in accelleration, though I have to admit I never exaclty tested the Audi's limits. I do miss the Bose sound though, so getting some aftermarket upgraded speakers and amp installed is a priority for this weekend.

What I really love is the extra room and versatility, still in a fairly compact package. I have horses and frequently carry a lot of tack and supplies around, so the cargo room and organization in the back is great. And now I can go to the garden store and pick up those new plants and bags of potting soil and mulch I've been needing. ;-)
  • Options
    Honda has to relocate that spare to the inside. I'm not sure they'll enjoy a huge headline on IIHS' Home Page that reads "HUGE DAMAGE to SUVs in 5mph impacts" (their emphasis, not mine) with the CR-V pictured next to it.

The last Forester was best in class when it was tested, but the new Escape had surpassed it. Now Subaru top the top spot back from Ford. Kudos.

I'm surprised, frankly. I thought that the aluminum beam would be more expensive to repair. Guess not.

Congrats, Jennifer! I'm envious. Of the new wheels and the horses, too.

-juice
  • Options
    logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Don't know if anyone has posted this, but just got a recall letter from Suburu indicating that the 1999 2.5 Foresters need to have the air flow meter sensors replaced. Letter says that if you have already paid for this you may be reimbursed.
  • Options
    cork2wincork2win Member Posts: 5
    I just bought my 1999 2.5 a week ago, and the dealer still owes me some work on it. Should I push to have them do this replacement as well? What does it fix?
  • Options
    beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    kajko - I don't know if it's possible to switch the readout from F to C - I haven't read that part of the manual, that is if it's even in the manual.

If not...feel free to tape this formula to the sun visor :)

Tc = (5/9) x (Tf - 32)
    where Tc = Temp in C and Tf = Temp in F.

John
  • Options
    cork2win,

The 99 Foresters have a relatively fragile mass air flow sensor. When this sensor becomes damaged, your check engine light will come on and the engine will not run very smoothly. The replacement, I assume, is more robust and less prone to failure. If it's more convenient for you, I'd have the dealer take care of the replacement while it's theirs. However, I'm sure the replacement is good for any 99 that has not yet been fixed.

Ken
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    And the car was a .......... Saab! (right?)
  • Options
    Interesting, I recall that Justin, a local i Club guy with a '99 2.5RS, had his blow up, though in fairness his was heavily modified. He had that Apex-i fuel mapping thing-a-ma-jig.

-juice
  • Options
    Since 5/9 = 0.555..., an easy algorithm to convert F to C is:

1) Subtract 32
    2) Divide by 1/2
    3) Add 1/2 back but to the next lower digit
    4) Repeat 3 for as many significant digits you need

Ken
  • Options
    I believe Jerry always drove a Saab in Seinfeld. There was another episode where Kramer starts banking his own blood and uses it to fill Jerry's radiator.

Ken
  • Options
    capybaracapybara Member Posts: 10
    We've decided to get a Forester! We're looking into which accessories we want. Does anyone have the following:
    1.Security system upgrade-what is included in keyless entry without the upgrade? Is there an engine immobilizer like Honda has? What features do you get with the security upgrade?
    2. Cargo bin. How does this work, and how big is it? In the brochure it looks like you still need a cargo tray underneath it?
    3. Trailer hitch-is this the standard 1.25"?
    4. Rear bumper cover and splash guards-how necessary are these?
    5. Is the viewing area of the autodimming mirror any bigger than the regular mirror (XS) or does the mirror just look bigger because of the compass?
    6. Cargo nets-does anyone actually use these?
    We are also considering: autofiltration, armrest extension, cargo tray, tailpipe cover.
    Is it cheaper to get the accessories when you buy (ie get quotes with all the accessories added in) or afterwards at the parts department (ie do they charge extra for installation, like for the tail hitch)?
    Other questions:
    Does the paint on the XS bumper scratch easily?
    Blue with grey interior vs. Green with beige interior: any comments? Which one gets dirtier?
    Has anyone added in aftermarket leather seats? Two dealers were saying it would be $1200 to do this but that it would be better than factory leather.
  • Options
    masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    Great news on the bumper test results.

Anyone know when/if the NHTSA will crash test a 2003? The only 2003's that were listed on the Web site to be tested (in the Sport Utility category) were the Vibe and Matrix.
  • Options
    wmquanwmquan Member Posts: 1,817
    Dunno about the NHTSA crash test, but the IIHS offset front crash results should be out within a month. IIHS usually releases the bumper-bash results first, and then follows with the offset crash test results.
  • Options
    tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    If the Forester has 5mph bumpers it is a car if it does not it is a truck.So why is IHS comparing
    a truck to a car?Personally I would like to see
    all vehicles have 5mph bumpers.I have a CRV and am
    constantly reminded of the damage a rear end
    collision would do when I look out my rearview
    mirror and see the spare tire.Granted the other driver would be at fault but here in California
    1 out of 4 drivers have no insurance.So much for laws.
  • Options
    cork2wincork2win Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, Ken. I wonder if the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" saying would apply here? If I start having these problems later, can I get the sensor replaced at any time, or is there a time limit on these recalls? I've never paid attention to recalls before this car because my cars never warranted the attention! LOL!
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    << If the Forester has 5mph bumpers it is a car if it does not it is a truck.So why is IHS comparing
    a truck to a car? >>

Because the Forester is often cross-shopped with these other vehicles.

Bob
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Natalie- Re your questions:

1. Security system upgrade- Not sure.
    2. Cargo bin- I've not seen one in person but I believe that it just gives you multiple small compartments that prevent items from sliding around in the cargo area.
    3. Trailer hitch-is this the standard 1.25"- Yes
    4. Rear bumper cover and splash guards- Worth it in my opinion. Especially the bumper cover. I rest lots of things on the bumper when loading and unloading and it would surely get scratched without the cover. The dog also jumps in and out of the back and the cover protects against his toe nails scratching anything.
    5. Is the viewing area of the autodimming mirror any bigger than the regular mirror- I'm pretty sure the viewing area is the same but the housing is bigger to accomodate the compass.
    6. Cargo nets-does anyone actually use these?- Yes. I use mine every time I go to the grocery store. They hold the plastic grocery bags and keep the contents from spilling a rolling around loose.
    We are also considering:
    autofiltration
    - Better air filtration is never a bad thing.
    armrest extension- The armrest is almost a must have for many drivers but is too high for some shorter ones. Best bet is to sit in a Forester with one installed and judge for yourself.
    cargo tray- A cardboard box accomplishes basically the same thing
    tailpipe cover- Totally cosmetic but I personally like it and most Forester's come with it.
    Is it cheaper to get the accessories when you buy (ie get quotes with all the accessories added in) or afterwards at the parts department (ie do they charge extra for installation, like for the tail hitch)- Yes, it is usually much cheaper to get the accessories when you buy. Most dealers will include the accessories at factory invoice if the vehicle comes to them from the port with everything installed already. Parts Dept will gladly sell them to you but at full MSRP and installation is extra and expensive if done at the dealership.
    Other questions:
    Does the paint on the XS bumper scratch easily?
    -Considering the location, I'd think any paint would get scratched fairly quickly.
    Blue with grey interior vs. Green with beige interior: any comments?- Personal preference is grey
    Has anyone added in aftermarket leather seats? Two dealers were saying it would be $1200 to do this but that it would be better than factory leather- I hate to be cynical but if the dealer is pushing aftermarket leather, it's because he gets a higher profit margin from it.

Hope this helps.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    1. Don't have it.
    2. It folds up into partitions
    3. Yes, 1.25" receiver, Class I hitch. But actually 2" is more standard.
    4. Prevents scratches if you load heavy objects. The mud guards keep the sides clean.
    5. Don't have it.
    6. Net is useful for groceries, but the hooks work too.

Autofiltration: I have asthma, so I got it.
    Arm rest extension: puts the right arm at the same level as the left arm rest on the door, so I like it.
    Tail pipe cover: cosmetic.

Tom: IIHS compared a car to a truck because that's what consumers do. Besides, are you saying we should give Honda a break because of an old work truck loop hole? That's lame, IMHO.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.