Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    yuhan1995yuhan1995 Member Posts: 10
    After 3 month I have been thinking to wax my car for the first time. Any suggestion is very welcomed.

Taiwan is about 33-37 C in summer. I love my forester, quick in start, very quiet, and not too big. I just love it.

The yellow signal has gone after a few days driving. Obviously it was because my wife did not screw the gas cap tight enough after filling the gas.

Thanks you guys, it's now my habbit to visit here every day to grab some new information. Thanks!

Lee
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    http://motioncars.com/autobuzz/articles21/gm_indonesia_forester.html

In the past, I believe only North America got the 2.5L Forester. Now, with the new-generation model, there are other markets getting this engine too. There are still many markets that still only get the 2.0L version, however.

Bob
  • Options
    jimbob17jimbob17 Member Posts: 77
    Cant help you with your question. Just wanted to say my wife and I visited your country in 1973 while I was overseas. Wonderful people there. Everyone treated us like long time friends.
  • Options
    ktliuktliu Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone upgraded the stereo head unit on the '03 Forester (XS)? I would like to take the stock radio out and put an in-dash MP3 receiver but don't know how to take down the panels. I could not find the information anywhere. Crutchfield don't have the info either. (They have it for '02 and prior but not for '03.) Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Gene,

The guys at import intelligence are fine to deal with, their web site just need updating. They are not carrying a lot of performance part (that's about the only page where I see alot of comming soons) but that's not why I was interested in them in the first place, and they are timely on shipping orders. there is someone else on i-club who got the gauge face from them, he have no complaints as far as I know. (can't remember the guy's name off the top of my head, sorry) As for the page display problem I can't explain that one cause they all load up fine for me. If you are still using a dial up service then that could be it or if you are using a brower that is not IE5 or above that could also be the problem. Good luck.

Mike
  • Options
    why don't you see if the instructions for the 02 have any correlation to the 03. Meaning see if the screws are in the same places, if they are, then just follow the 02 instructions with maybe a few modifications, if any. okay, just did a little research on pictures, it looks like you have to start the same way as the previous models with removing the center arm rest/storage bin first (screws should be on the bottom of the bin) to expose more screws, the actually stereo surrounds look like they might be secured by snap clips on the back. But in any case you should start with the arm rest/storage bin and see where that gets you to. Good luck.

Mike
  • Options
    bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Those guys blind me in my Forester from behind. Makes me wish for a flip-up rear mirror as in "right back at ya"... Fortunately, it's not my style :)

Seriously, though, you can make the same case for having bumpers all at the same or nearly the same height. Moster SUV's come crashing in the middle of most wagon/mini-van hatchbacks from the rear, and ride up onto the hood from the front. Does this make sense ?

They've made some half-hearted attempts to address this, but it's a real hazard to anyone not in a giant SUV.

-brianV
  • Options
    zoozoozoozoo Member Posts: 2
    I have had my Subie Forester L since last Nov. (2002) It runs perfectly fine and I really love it. BUT lately a loud rattling noise coming from the engine is occurring at acceleration. I only use 93 octane gas. The noise comes and goes but I find it alarming. Any suggestions or help would really be appreciated.

James
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    something loose with the exhaust system. I'm thinking perhaps a loose heat shield?

Stephen
  • Options
    a loose heat shield. had the same thing with my 98. noise comes and goes. take it to the dealer and have them tighten the shields up, should be for free.

Mike
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I saw an '01 Forester S Premium 5 speed with 17,000 miles on a dealer's lot (last night, after they were closed) listed at $18,800. I spoke to the salesman by phone today, and he said he thinks it is a Subaru program vehicle. It looks to be in great shape, and I'm considering trading in my wife's vehicle for it. I scheduled a test drive for tomorrow morning. Anyone know about this program? (Patti?)
    Even though it has the balance of the factory warranties, my concern is how it may have been broken in and maintained, and the effects it could have on long term, post-warranty reliability. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Len
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    check here for lots of good info on washing, waxing, and maintaining cars

http://properautocare.com/

I've used Klasse products on my WRX wagon with good results so far, and Meguiars Quik Mist in-between waxing.
  • Options
    masanmasan Member Posts: 77
    Just purchased a '03 recently. The dealer filled the tank with gas after the sale. Today I noticed that the fuel was getting low, and I decided to wait until the light came on to fill the tank. The fuel gauge light (upper) did not come on; instead, the "fuel door open" light came on (lower). I went ahead and filled the tank and left the fuel door open to see if the "fuel door open" light would come on. It did not. The upper light has never come on. Ideas? I don't have the manual with me right now to verify the function of these two lights. Thanks.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Tomas: my A/C cools well either way. I use recirc when the A/C is one, and honestly any fan speed above 1 gets too cold for me.

Len: treat it like any used car. That price seems like a steal, though.

masan: sorry, no idea. My low fuel warning light works fine. If I'd only heed the warning! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    Never mind. ;-} The service department explained that the upper "gauge" is only a picture of a gas pump near the Full/Empty indicator. The lower gauge is the gauge which lights up. It shows another gas pump and an arrow pointing to the side of the car where the fuel door is located. There is no "fuel door open" warning light.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that, it sounded funny.

-juice
  • Options
    ktliuktliu Member Posts: 5
    maverick1017, thank you very much for your suggestion. It makes sense to start with the instruction for '02. It appears that I don't have to remove the armrest on the '03 model. I was able to pry portion of the panel that covers the shifter/ash tray but it got stuck at where the ash tray is. This is where '03 differs from '02. Do you know, for the '02 model, how to remove the panel that surrounds the ash tray and the cigarette lighter? Thanks.
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    I have not heard of Subaru having official "program Cars", but other manufacturers do have such "programs." These are usually cars coming off lease, executive cars, or often, rental cars. So, there is a wide range of condition that you may find.

I would heed the advice above to treat one like any other used car and have an independent inspection done before purchasing. Also, you can check the car's history with CarFax or other sources for a small fee to see if it has been declared an insurance loss. Then, a thorough test drive at both low and highway speeds is in order.
  • Options
    midifoolmidifool Member Posts: 1
    I've been researching and test driving for months and finally made up my mind. I ordered an XS Premium in platinum silver. I'll have to wait two months to get it, but I think it will be worth the wait. I wanted a 4 cylinder for fuel economy, but I wanted all the safety features and creature comforts too. The Forester has everything I was looking for and then some.
  • Options
    gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Mike
    Thanks for the info,
    I went ahead and ordered the white faced gauge cluster for my 02 forester.
    Now I'll have to see just how hard it will be to install.
    Again thanks for the vote of confidence in their company.
    Gene
  • Options
    That panel came off pretty easily. I pushed the outer sides in and towards me, and it popped out on the first try.

midifool: congrats, but we should change your handle to verismart! :-)

-juice
  • Options
    mlp1mlp1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi everybody! I've been reading the posts and researching cars for a couple months. I need to replace my '95 Concorde (a true lemon, IMHO)soon. I have not actually gone on a test drive yet but I'm kind of swaying towards a Forester. (Of course I will go on a test drive before buying). I love the looks of the Passat Wagon but do not want to pay the price and buy premium fuel. The Honda CRV was another choice and I will test drive it to rule it out. However, I've been reading my Forester brochure and I was a passenger in a test drive of the '03 XS and it rode nice. My question is, if you get the XS, aren't you just getting more things that could potentially have problems? For example, the heated seats could malfunction or the heated de-icer, the rear differential could break, etc. All very nice things to have (esp. in winter), but are they really necessary? Or am I just being paranoid (because of my Concorde problems)? Also, what I find irritating is that I like the monotone colors but can only have it w/the Premium Package....and I don't like the Silver w/the Steel Gray Metallic cladding but I do like it w/the Textured Gray (looks black to me), but, you can only get that in the X....And, the X does not come with a few key things that in an Ohio winter would be nice...IF they worked! So, I guess I'm just wondering what other people think about the X versus the XS. I have noticed that alot of people seem to have gone w/the XS (and alot seem to have gone w/the Premium Package).
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    mlp1,

While your reasoning is logical (more items increase the risk of something breaking) the chances of those items malfunctioning are still quite low.

The heated seats and mirrors are all electrical and, as with all Japanese cars, Subaru rarely has any electrical problems. Both of these items are great in the winter -- I use mine all the time. Plus, the heated mirrors also help immensly in the rain by drying off water droplets and increasing visibility.

The rear differential is a completely sealed unit and requires no maintenance. It's the same unit used in the Impreza and Outback models for some time as well and I haven't heard of anyone ever having a problem with it.

The only item that would have a slightly higher chance of malfunctioning, if at all, is the moonroof. However, I have yet to hear anyone complain about the gigantic moonroof on their Forester. I'd get one in a hearbeat if I were shopping for a Forester today.

I own a 98 Forester S (the grand daddy of the XS) and I don't regret getting it over the L one bit.

Ken
  • Options
    The X meets my needs. Winters are mild where I live, though. Otherwise, I might have sprung for the XS. I was also trying to keep the cost down with the X which wasn't difficult because most things I wanted came standard. The 6 CD player and a cassette player would have been nice. I've never been a big fan of moonroofs, so that wasn't much of a factor.

I personally like the dark gray cladding on the X. My favorites were the red X and the silver X.

I see what you mean about wanting a certain exterior. If you like the monotone, go for the Premium. Get what brings a smile to your face! And it sounds like you could benefit from the extra options designed for winter. You'll have a 3 year warranty with the option of extending that.
  • Options
    On the first tank of gas, my '03 got almost 26 MPG in mixed city/highway driving on 87 octane. Woo, hoo! So far, I love this car.

I'm thinking about going to Mobil 1 synthetic which is what I've used before. That way, I won't have to have the oil changed as frequently.

Not sure what I'm going to use for wax--carnauba or a polymer. And after reading about Juice's experience with Armour All, I don't think I'll use it on the dash. I bought a small chamois to use instead, although I still wonder if there's a good, safe protectant out there.
  • Options
    christopher14christopher14 Member Posts: 4
    mlp1,

We had the same debate when we were researching the Foresters. We, like masan, live in a warm climate, and we didn't want to pay the extra money just to have those features that come with the XS, such as the heated seats, and mirrors, etc. We used to live in Idaho, where the winters are usually more severe than Ohio. We also have a 1993 Legacy wagon L. We did just fine with the Legacy, but our next door neighbors had an Alpine edition with heated seats, and they loved them, much like the participants in this forum who comment on the heated components.

We did like the monotone paint scheme of the XS. Too bad Subaru doesn't allow the cladding or monotone to be options for either the X or XS. Again, we didn't feel comfortable paying more for the XS, so we bought a silver X, and absolutely love it.

As far as "more things that can have problems", that is true, but I think you will hear countless stories of the excellent Subaru quality, and I wouldn't pass on an XS if that is the concern. Our Legacy has electric windows, door locks, etc. and I have had to replace only one parking light since we bought the car six years ago.

We bought our Legacy because of the high reliability and safety ratings, and the AWD was a big plus in Idaho. We are now enjoying our new Forester, and as it stands right now, I can't imagine buying any other brand of vehicle.
  • Options
    nypaulnypaul Member Posts: 35
    Hi Folks,
    Yesterday, after doing 15 miles of hiking in the hills of New Jersey, I decided that I wanted to direct the airconditioning to my now sandal clad feet. With the A/C on, the fan on #3 and the position dial set for my feet it wasn't long before I started to get condensation on the winshield. I reached up and noticed that a lot of cold air was coming out of the long windshield outlet in the middle of the car as well as the outer most left and right dash vents.
    Could that be right? Does anyone elses 02 L do the same thing, or do I have a problem here?

thanks in advance for the help
    Paul
  • Options
    eps105eps105 Member Posts: 216
    That is correct. I recall the owner's manual illustrating a small amount of air flowing to the windshield and side window vents when it is set to the floor registers. I think that was designed to keep the windshield from frosting in the winter. Ironic, huh?
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Found this link in the EVO VII v. WRX STi forum, but it speaks primarily to the Airtrek. Seems the Forester turbo is Mitsu's target:

http://www.apexjapan.com/news/lancer_evo/lancer_evo.html

Ed

• Options
    masan,

Wow 26mpg on a brand new Forester is great! With my 98 Forester S, I noticed that fuel economy improved by about 1mpg over the first 20-30K miles of the vehicle as the engine broke in. You probably can expect that too.

I've been using Mobil 1 Synthetic on my Forester now for 40K miles. I have noticed quieter startups and slighlty better gas milage from using it. In one of our chats with a SoA rep, it was recommended that if you change to synthetic to do it early on and never look back.

After having tried numerous products, I've come to the conclusion that nothing can beat the ease of use and durability of a polymer. If you want the absolute glossiest of all finishes, then stick to traditional carnauba wax. However, polymers are more practical. My favorite is Klasse (acrylic sealant), but others work well too.

Ken
  • Options
    Interesting article, Ed. So, I wonder who's copying whom? MMC or SoJ?

Ken
  • Options
    bigfrank3bigfrank3 Member Posts: 426
    Wow, 40K. It seems like just yesterday that I remember you making the switch. Time flies, especially with that slippery stuff, I guess.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    I don't think the XS will be any less reliable, and I've never heard of the things you mentioned having any problems. Plus, the X has a rear differential, too, it's just not a limited-slip.

26mpg new? Man, it only gets better after break-in, you got a keeper! Don't wait longer than 7500 miles to change the oil, even with syn.

Apparently Armor All has been reformulated, or so I've been told. I'm still a skeptic.

Ed: we saw an Outlander (the US name) at the NY show. Looked generic, nothing really special. I'm not a big Mitsu fan, to be honest, but if the Forester turbo only comes in an automatic, and the Outlander offers 248hp plus a 5 or 6 speed, I'd definitely check one out.

-juice
  • Options
    rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    When my '98 Forester was new, I used the Low Gloss version of Armorall on all of the interior plastic surfaces (except the steering wheel, of course) and it has held up well and has not caused any problems. The reflectivity of the dash did increase somewhat, but it was not to an annoying level.

After 4 years, it is just at a point where I would like to renew the stuff, but I can't find the low gloss variety anywhere. It must have been discontinued, maybe because it lasted too long?

I also used Scotch Guard on the seats and carpets. It has worked well to protect the seats. I now have rubber mats over the carpet all of the time, because they are made of some very poor quality material that seems to shred at the slightest provocation, so I can't comment on what good the Scotch Guard did. I took out the standard carpet mats because they were getting stained a reddish color from the sand that one local town uses on the roads in winter. It must contain a lot of iron.
  • Options
    secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    I just replaced the in-dash 6 CD changer in my '02 Forester (with a Pioneer head unit, so I could run XM radio through it). I am going to offer it for sale (on eBay, unless someone here is interested). My question is, which other models and years can fit this unit? Of course it'll fit into the '98-02 Foresters, but what about the '03? The Impreza? The Outback?

Thanks,
    Steven
  • Options
    rochom,

I sometimes use Meguiar's Rubber and Vinyl Protectant. A detailer recommended it to me and it works well. It's also low gloss (I think all protectants shine up the plastic a little) and doesn't have a strong odor.

Ken
  • Options
    lilbluewgn02lilbluewgn02 Member Posts: 1,089
    I've had good results with Vinylex...low gloss, uv protectant, doesn't dry out the dash board like armorall, and much less dust attraction.
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I've only put protectant on my dash once, and that was Vinylex. Lower gloss than Meguiar's and any ArmorAll product, and (knock wood) less harmful to the plastic. The dust repellent characteristic is noticeable; I keep a tack rag in a Ziploc bag in my dashtop cubby and I've notice that I have to use it less often these days.

Ed
  • Options
    I've swapped the carpets, too. Then again, no car I've ever owned had carpets last more than a few years. They're cheap so I consider them disposables.

Steve: I have two of those. It'll fit in '95 and later Legacys and Outbacks, any Forester, and I think any recent Impreza. The WRX has it, and the Impreza RS shares the center console with my Forester.

If I had a 3rd Subie I'd buy it myself, but it's something I strongly recommend to any Forester owners here that are thinking about it. Installation is CAKE on the Forester, a little harder on the Legacy.

-juice
  • Options
    The low gloss Armorall is now packaged as "Ultimate Clean". I had a hard time finding it also. We use it on our Foresters, and like it.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I like 303 Protectant myself, but it can be a bit hard to find.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    Steven:

Have decided on the price yet?
  • Options
    terry4848terry4848 Member Posts: 8
    I'm taking my 2002 Forester in for the 3500 mile check although I have about 5700 miles on it because I just came back from vacation. Will they put synthetic oil in if I ask them too? Also is it normal for the AC to cause the power to the engine to decrease when the fan turns on and increase when the fan shuts off, I noticed this on cruise control and idling. The car ran great on my 3700 mile vacation, I had to remove my bug deflector because one side was coming undone while going down the highway and flapping. What a noise! I've also noticed the RPM's high on startup after sitting and then they go down after a few minutes and also the car shifts differently after sitting for a number of hours and then goes back to normal. I got between 26 and 30 miles per gallon depending on speed and using the AC. Usually around 27. Had a great vacation. Any comments?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The idle will be raised if the engine is cold. Once the car is "warmed up" it will drop to about 700rpms. Shifting is the same way, until the transmission has circulated and expanded the fluid it will shift a bit rougher.

-mike
  • Options
    Yes, the A/C will leach a little power from the engine. When you apply full throttle, the ECU will actually disable the A/C compressor temporarily, so full power is available to you. Pretty cool, eh?

Most shops will put in synthetic, just ask. You may have to supply the oil, I dunno.

-juice
  • Options
    Does your deflector say "Subaru" in white letters on it? I recently installed one of these and had the same flapping problem, to the point where the loose end stood straight up, broke off, and flew somewhere off the highway.

The loose end actually was dribbling itself off of the hood. Luckily, all the contact points seemed to be at the places that are tape protected, and I have no paint damage on my new 2002.

The reason I ask is because my wife's Forester came delivered with the "port installed" deflector, and it does not say "Subaru" on it. It says "Form Fit", not in white. It mounts differently than the Subaru one, which allows airflow under the leading edge.

The "Form Fit" curls under the leading edge of the hood, as does the Lund Interceptor on my truck, not allowing airflow. This seems like a better design to me.

I am wondering if someone knows about a problem with the design of the factory part, and that is why my wife's came from the port with the different one.

I have been watching other Foresters with deflectors in my travels, and most around here do NOT say "Subaru" on them.

Regards,
    Frank
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    my deflector on my Outback is the Subaru one (white Subaru lettering on the driver side, came from QSubaru way back when) and lets air flow underneath it. You can kind of see the design in this photo: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p22ad603fc7dbc81e2611e30d1d838735/fd8568f5.jpg.orig.jpg

Knock on wood, no problems with it. :-)

-Brian

• Options
    subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    If you have a problem with them, please get them (and any pieces you may have) into a dealer. They should take care of it if it was not installed properly. If they don't, please call us and let us know.

Thanks!

Patti
  • Options
    terry4848terry4848 Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for all your response guys, I feel better and yes my deflector does have Suburu in white letters I bought it as an accessory from the Subaru dealer and my son installled it. Guess I'll have them take a look at it. Putting in the synthetic too. Thanks again
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    My wife and I went to look at a low mileage, beautiful condition '01 S Premium the other day. While at the dealer, she decided that she liked the Outback better, so we looked at a few '01s with low mileage. The salesman mentioned that they were discounting new '02 Legacys and Outbacks, and were offering low rate financing. To make a long story short, she decided on a new '02 Wintergreen Outback. It's a 5 speed, with the All Weather Package, and a few other minor options. With the 3.9% financing, we wound up with a lower monthly payment than she had on her 2000 Honda Odyssey, which we traded in. We brought it home yesterday.

She wanted the windows tinted, and we had that done today. We got 15% metallic film, which is the same as on my '01 Forester S. It looks very nice. We ordered a set of Weather Tech mats. She wanted the black, since it shows less dirt than tan (our interior color) and wouldn't look like we tried to match the color and couldn't.

The car has the AM/FM cassette, but I'd like to switch it for the AM/FM 6 CD unit that I took out of my Forester. Juice, I know you recently installed one in your wife's Legacy. Any tips or tricks in putting it in? Did it connect to the factory harness in the Legacy?

So far, she really likes the OB. She said she feels more in control than she ever did in the Odyssey. She also likes the sportier ride, handling and power. BTW, there is a noticeable difference between the automatic and the 5 speed. Just like the Forester, the 5 speed OB is much more responsive. She prefers the seats, saying it feels like they wrap around you to hold you in place. (There was no bolstering at all on the Odyssey seats.) She can't get over how quiet the OB is compared to the Odyssey. (I guess it's a minivan thing, since our Voyager was also noisy. Must be the design.)

I had tried to talk her into a Legacy GT wagon, but she preferred the higher ride height of the OB. It was easier for her to transition into after coming out of the Odyssey. Plus, she really wanted the All Weather Package, which isn't available on the GT wagon, at least not in '02. (Not offering the AWP on the GT wagon seems like a mistake on Subaru's part, especially considering how the one in the brouchure is shown in a ski lodge setting.)

Speaking of the GT, I saw an '03 Legacy GT wagon hidden in the back of another dealer's lot. Some notable changes:
    1) It had some type of "Sport Shift" automatic trans, though I can't recall the exact name they call it. The shifter is a straight line, as opposed to the zig-zag pattern on all the current Subie automatics. To the right of the main gate, is a smaller gate, about 2" or so, that has a plus (+) sign at the top and a minus (-) sign at the bottom, apparently signifying that it goes forward for higher gears, and rearward for lower gears.
    2) The "lace" style alloy wheel has been replaced by one that resembles the WRX wheel. Same size rubber as before, if I'm not mistaken.
    3) The fog lights are a "projector beam" type, but again, I can't recall the exact terminology they used on the window sticker.

So now we're a two Subaru family! (Sorry for the long post, and I guess it should have gone in the Legacy and Outback thread, but I didn't think of that until just now.)

Len
This discussion has been closed.