Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    ppnqppnq Member Posts: 1
    Very nice job, Jack.

My 2004XS has had water leaking problem since I bought it. I brought back to the dealer, and they claimed they found and fixed the problem. However, I still have water leaking problem, and I have to park my car with the nose down. I will ask them to fix it again when I bring my car in for 7500 miles service next week.

PP
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Yes, the remote works as follows -- 1 click to open the driver's door, 2 clicks to open all doors. Most new cars are like that now. My wife's TSX does the same thing. It's a security feature -- many people feel uncomfortable unlocking all the doors when they are alone. So it allows you the option of just the driver's door or all doors.

I am surprised the X does not have a lit ignition ring -- all my Subarus since 2002 have had one Outback, Forester XS, and WRX.

Craig
  • Options
    jackleungjackleung Member Posts: 79
    Thanks PP,

Yr message really make me more confident this is a common problem for Subaru.

Maybe U should ask the dealer to perform the test I descibed in my other post. Just make sure U got this one 100% fixed before warrenty expired

Rgds

Jack
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    RL Polk just announced the Forester won again for most repeat buyers in its class. :-)

mpgman: that grip assist handle - I didn't know it came standard on the driver's side.

I actually ordered one. It was rigid, so I ended up putting that one on the passenger side, and moving the collapseable one to the driver's side.

-juice
  • Options
    dlavidlavi Member Posts: 13
    Any one have any idea of when or if Subaru is planning on offering side curtain airbags on the Forester as opposed to the non-curtain side airbags it has now. I know that the Forester's crash test ratings are excellent but this feature would be nice. I hope we don't have to wait until the next redesign. It is notable that side curtain airbags, stability control, and traction control are standard on all 2005 CR-Vs. These sure would be nice features on the Forester.
  • Options
    RAV4 has stability control also.

We might see a preview of what we'll get at the Chicago show, we're not sure.

Hmm, let's make a wish list, shall we?

I'd like to see AVCS on base engines, bumped to 175hp. Maybe some sort of stability control if they can match it with the AWD systems currently offered.

If not, heck, let's see VDC on there.

What else do you guys wish for?

-juice
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    for our automatic driving friends.

Also, a sportier Forester similiar to the JDM Cross Sport (is that the name?).

More performance options for the Forester like a bigger swaybar and wheels (not that it matters to me because I've already upgraded :-) ).

A climate control system that doesn't have three different temps if you're in defrost/floor mode.

-Dennis
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    for ground clearance and tire/wheel sizes.

Bob
  • Options
    Cross Sport - yep.

Of course you might say XS stands for that, or Crossover Sport anyway.

Yum, a 180hp base model with 5EAT Sportshift sure would make the wifey happy. She wants us to get one automatic (out of our fleet of 3 cars).

-juice
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    06 Forester.....

Hmmmm

Want

1. 180 hp base with AVCS - hugely overdue.

2. Slightly higher 1st gear on the XT MT.

3. XT EPA mileage that breaks 20.

4. Slightly refreshed styling - dont know specifically what I want here, and definitely not the new nose yet - just make it appealing enough so that they sell enough XTs for the model to survive the next major redeign.

Do not want

1. Cross Sport or Forester STi - with the XT, I dont currently lust after any other vehicle on the road and don't want this healthy state to change.

JP
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    quite pleased with the Forester XS. Just a couple minor mods:

+ AVCS would be nice, with a bump in hp to 175 and mpg to 32

+ Sliding rear seat, or more standard leg room take your pick.

+ 5 EAT

+ A real arm rest either side on the driver's seat.

+ QUIETer (work on the tire and chassis sound issues)

John
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    mpgman- I agree that the Forester doesn't have the best cup-holder design but at least Subaru has made great strides since the flimsy single dash-mounted one in the original models. Also agree that the footrest, while better than nothing, could be improved.

I find it mildly surprising that the Elantra does indeed have more cargo space (5 more cu ft). However, the lines between 5-door hatchbacks, wagons and car-based SUVs are pretty blurry with all three offering 4-doors and a rear hatch and they are really just variations of the box-on-wheels theme.

Oh yeah, the Subaru actually has best in class front legroom and .4 more than the Elantra (43.6 vs 43.2).

-Frank
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    and realizing there is no center pass thru on 2nd row. i had to take the odyssey up instead on not the best of road conditions.

so center pass thru of 2nd row would be nice.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    well, you do have a roof rack which can take a ski rack, no? 'spose you could always rent skis ;-)

-Brian
  • Options
    chuck the skis in and go. thats what i am looking for. just pop down a center cutout of the 2nd row, slide the skis thru and off to ski.

doesnt have to be as big as the trifectas 40-20-40 but ya get the idea....
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    - Option of a NAV system

- Aux in on the radio

- MP3 and/or DVD audio built into CD changer

- LCD instead of LED radio display

- Option of integrated XM tuner

- Retained accessory power

- Auto up/down for all windows

- Lower / raise windows with remote

- 5EAT with Sport and Snow modes

- 6 speed on the XT M/T

- Quicker ratio steering

- Bigger brakes

- Electrically assisted seatbelts (a la Lexus)

- A REAL climate control system (not the joke that's in there now)

- Option of Seat/Mirror memory (since a loaded Forester is pushing $30K)

- Integrated Turbo gauge in the cluster for the XT

- Standard trip computer

- Electroluminiscent gauges

- Bigger gas tank (18 gals would be nice)

- Real tint band on top of windshield

- Option of headlight washers
  • Options
    since a loaded Forester is pushing $30K

Sticker maybe, but with the current rebates you can get a loaded XT PP auto for less than $26k. Compare that to the almost $40k you'd pay for a BMW X3 and in comparison the XT is a steal :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    When I ski alone I drop the passenger side rear seat in my OB XT and lay the skis in the back (helps to have shorter skis nowadays). I only set up the rack when we go on trips with a full car.

Craig
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Easy fix. Get a snowboard.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    When I ski alone I drop the passenger side rear seat in my OB XT and lay the skis in the back (helps to have shorter skis nowadays

ski alone, wow, i wish, kids would kill me
  • Options
    a 3 foot snow board?
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    I use the manual mode 99% of the time ('04 FXT). In the snow on Saturday, I set it to defrost and the temp. at around 72 or so and the fan speed on 2. The defrost vents were blowing warm air, the side face level vents were blowing hot air, and the little vents for the side windows were pumping fresh cold air (hello it's 20F outside!). My wife kept her hat on inside the car because her head was cold.

This morning, I thought that I set it on the same exact setting. All three vents were blowing at the same temp. which is what I was trying to achieve before. Was it in a semi-automatic mode or Saturday? Do I need to RTFM? :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    The Climate Control im my 05 Forester remains something of a mystery to me. I know drive around in 15 degrees w/ my coat off b/c even setting the temp guage down to 65 makes it too toasty to handle.

The two things I wish I could change most about my Forester? Ditch the climate control and that dashboard box !!!!

Jopopsy
  • Options
    so switching to snowboarding doesnt help my storage problem
  • Options
    Nice list, Sam!

Sounds like you want then to go after the X3. :-)

-juice
  • Options
    on my '03 XS is $14,350. Can the '02 and '01 owners chime in on what SOA is offering?

I love the idea, it is just that SOA doesn't currently have anything that I like better than my '03. But, if they come up with the Baja Tribeca in a year or two, I am there.

John
  • Options
    so switching to snowboarding doesn't help my storage problem

Ok, but it's more fun :-)

My board is still a foot shorter than my wife's skis. But the split rear seats do spoil you - my Outback driver's side rear seat lives in the down position most of the time for carrying skis or paddles.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    The climate control in the Forester is by far the most idiotic piece of equipment I have seen in a long time. Take a look here for more info:

http://www.geocities.com/samiam_68/SubaruCCS/SSC_Fix.htm
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Not only does my snowboard, friend and gear fit nicely in the back of my forester, but so does my 9ft Kayak ;-) - nose to tail of course with no passengers, but I CAN get the kayak in there with me and my bike on the roof! :-) -elissa
  • Options
    You ride on the roof?...;-)
  • Options
    sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Hi John,

I recently received my trade-in offer from SOA and for my '02 Forester with less than 42,000 miles they offered a "minimum guarantee" of $12,000. From what I'm reading in the posts about climate controls and interior design complaints I'd just stay put until something better comes out in a few years. Especially if yours is paid for like mine, not having a payment is very nice indeed!

Take care,

Sierratrip
  • Options
    saxysaxy Member Posts: 9
    I wondering what the best kind of car wash product to use on my Forester- I'm concerned that some such as Blue Crystal that contain carnuba wax might harm the rubberized body cladding or other plastic or rubber components on the car-- anyone know if that is a problem or is just best to armour all every now and then no matter what type of wash product is used.
  • Options
    Thanks, that is good news that the '02 is only $2 k less--especially since yours is prior to the upgraded chassis and other improvements. $12k gtv seems quite generous. I seem to have lost about $8,000 in value since purchasing. I think I will hold on for a couple more years.

John
  • Options
    From what I'm reading in the posts about climate controls and interior design complaints I'd just stay put until something better comes out in a few years

Just so you know... we may harp on the mind-of-its-own (AKA HAL) auto climate control system and other pet peeves but I think most Forester owners would buy another in a heart beat (at least I know I would).

-Frank
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    HAL is probably the only issue I've had with my '04 F-XT. So, like Frank, I'd get another Forester as well. As others have stated, the F-XT is probably the best performance bargain out there.

-Brian
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Wasn't he tamed and/or trained on the '05 models?

Bob
  • Options
    Hey Elissa, what kind of kayak do you have? At 9ft, must be a whitewater boat or a Keowee, I'd guess.

Craig
  • Options
    Somewhat but I believe that he is still semi-autonomous.

-Frank
  • Options
    I've got a 16" Perception kayak that fits nicely on the roof rack :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    16" ??

You should be able to fit that in the glove compartment. :-P

DaveM
  • Options
    I have a 16" kayak on my desk, but it's too small for actual paddling (OK, maybe a mouse could do it). I have a 17' version for humans...

Craig
  • Options
    mazdax605mazdax605 Member Posts: 89
    I also have some problems with the climate control on the forester.My wifes 05 X model pumps out hot air from the vents even if you have it set for floor,or defrost.It has gotten to the point that I have the pass vent shut off al the time when I am with her,because the hot air is blasting me in the face even though it is supposed to be on my feet.Her Mazda Protege never did this,and my RX-8 doesn't do this either,and both of those have similar simple HVAC controls,not auto climate controls.Is this normal operation?

Oh yeah her car got rear ended last friday,by a punk kid in a pontiac.Mind you he hit her while she was driving 30-35 mph,not stopped.The damage isn't much,only a scraped bumper cover(textured grey X trim),and the exhaust got bent down some,and is rattling on the undercarriage some.The car is still drivable,and she had an appraisal done on tuesday,and they cut her a check for $583,and waived our deductable.I think the money they gave her isn't enough,but they did tell her if there is more damage that the body shop can contact the insurance co,and ask for more money.I insist on genuine Subaru parts being used,because the car only has 4000 miles on it,and is 4 months old.Did I mention I love this little car?I wish I had test drove an XT before I leased my RX-8,because I would have got one of them,especially now that we have 4 feet of snow on the ground,and the RX-8 sits under all of it.

Chris
  • Options
    ungarnungarn Member Posts: 5
    My Wife and I are trying to choose between a 2005 Forester XS (or L.L. Bean) and a 2005 Outback 2.5i Limited. They are both GREAT vehicles, but my Wife prefers the Forester and I like the Outback. Just curious what would make those on the board choose one over the other.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Yeah yeah yeah... inches, feet, whatever. :P
  • Options
    They both have their advantages. Forester is a little more nimble and can carry taller items but the Outback is a tad more refined, has more back seat room and can carry longer items. The real question is: who is the primary driver going to be? Answer that and you've solved your problem :-)

-Frank
  • Options
    I used to have a 13' Perception C-1. Now I have a Hyside raft in the hot tub....

Never fails - ski season is in full swing and everyone is talking boating.

Ungarn, I like the looks of the Outback better, so that's what I got. Gotta agree with Frank though (unless you're going to be the primary driver, in which case you may want to go with the wife's selection anyway <g>).

Steve, Host
  • Options
    edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    Craig, I've got a sit on top Ocean Kayak - Frenzy. It's good for surf kayaking (well, sorta... if you wear a helmet and like the taste of salt water LOL) and easy currents and lakes. It's 9ft long and takes up three seats plus cargo space inside the Forester. I do have the kayak roof thing-a-ma-bob but it's tough to squeeze it into place around the damned Subaru-branded bike rack on the roof (hence my remorse over not buying the singly-promoted Thule or Yakima system).

Elissa
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I have a 2001 Forester and my wife has a 2003 Outback. Both are, of course, the previous generation of these vehicles. I prefer my Forester. It has more driver and front passenger room. The rear seats are close to even. We don't have little kids to drive around any more, so the rear seats rarely get used. The Outback is quieter and has a smoother ride, but feels heavier and less nimble. The Forester has a shorter (length) but taller (height) cargo area. I've fit things in there that wouldn't fit into the Outback. The Outback, on the other hand, has a longer cargo area, so it is easier to fit things inside and still be able to close the rear hatch.

In driving the Outback, both my wife, who is 5'2" and I (6'1") feel cramped behind the wheel. The Forester has more "useful" room up front. The driving position is a little more upright than the Outback.

You need to try both out and decide which fits better. We like both of our Subes, but my wife has stated that she may consider a Forester next time around.

I hope this helps.

Len
  • Options
    sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Hi Frank,

When I said, "stay put until something better comes out" I was referring to future model years of the Forester or other models that SOA may develop.

-Sierratrip
  • Options
    Okay. I just wanted to point out that for someone in the market for a new vehicle, there's nothing wrong with the current Forester. Of course "next year's" model will always be new and improved (otherwise no one would ever trade-in). For instance the 05s have features that I wish my 04 had and the first glimpses of the 06s look to have even more improvements. Must fight new car fever :-)

-Frank
This discussion has been closed.