Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    jbeckrjbeckr Member Posts: 21
    Hi everyone -

Our 2003 Forester XS automatic has occasionally run VERY rough right after starting. Engine stumbles and starts to stall, black smoke coming out of tailpipe. Shut the engine off, restart it and everything is fine, like nothing ever happened. This has happened twice. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Have a 04 XT..Each time I let the Wiper blade
    snap back to the windshield and/or hit the fender
    and/or hood with my palm--the Horn beeps 1-2 times..Is it part of the alarm system or a short somewhere ??
    Any of you have the same prob. ???

Tks. Deadeye
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    If you have the alarm set, yes, this will happen. It's the shock sensor in the security system giving out its "warning" when the car is jarred. Not a problem.

Ed
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Hmmm - then I'd better enable the alarm when my '05 FXS is in the driveway. I have a cat that loves to leave paw prints all over the windshield and moonroof.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do you pre-pressurize the fuel pump?

Turn the key to the On position, but wait about 3 seconds before starting her. You'll hear a "whirr".

My guess is you have either air in the fuel lines, or condensation.

-juice
  • Options
    4mygrey4mygrey Member Posts: 26
    This is a thousand times more sensitive than our alarm (OEM, but dealer installed after purchase of 05 FXT). We tried "breaking in" to the car to get the warning alarm to go off but couldn't get it to trigger to matter how hard we beat on it. ??? From the materials we read, it seemed like it needed a pretty hard impact.

Another question... There is an AWFUL squeak coming from my steering column...any solutions? Anyone go to the dealer for this?
  • Options
    pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    Try a mousetrap for a couple of days, and then take it to the dealer.

Seriously, no idea - our FXT does not squeak - but sounds like you should get it checked.

JP
  • Options
    SteveSatchSteveSatch Member Posts: 20
    While driving today my daughter was sitting in the back asked why one seat
    was different than the other. I looked and the very bottom of the driver's seat
    (the last few inches) is not leather, but rather a carpet material while the
    passenger seat is leather there. It's where the rear passenger would put
    their foot if they put it on the seat in front of them rather than on the floor or
    under the seat. Can you guys check to see if yours is like that too or tell
    me if mine is missing a little leather piece?
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • Options
    Maybe one side was tucked in and the other was not?

My daughter once untucked the fabric on my head rest.

-juice
  • Options
    kesserendrelkesserendrel Member Posts: 3
    Are splash guards and the brush guard worth the price? I saw something negative about the brush guard's effectiveness somewhere above. Any positive thoughts? I'm a fishing guide and will occasionally be taking my Forester down some moderately rough logging roads (though they will always recognizably be "roads"), so I want all the protection I can get. What about the splashguards?
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Sounds like what you really need is the rear diffy protector. Splash guards always come in handy too (use to be standard until Subaru decided to cut costs). I can't speak to the effectiveness of the brush guard but I suppose it would help prevent briars and such from scratching your front bumper on an overgrown road(just don't expect to plow over saplings and the like).

-Frank
  • Options
    growler5growler5 Member Posts: 67
    Friend o' mine is looking at a vehicle suitable for everyday driving plus driving on the beach once in a while (New Jersey beach). He thinks the Forester satisfies the first requirement and is wondering about the beach driving part.

Would a Forester with stock tires fill the bill ? He's just looking to go off-road to go fishin' in the surf without getting stuck in the sand.
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    i have driven my forester on the beaches for my sailing with no problems
  • Options
    He may have to air-down his tires if the sand is real soft but otherwise should have no problems.

-Frank
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    I swear I cannot find this information anywhere! There are no pictures of it in the brochure or on the subaru website.

Do the rear seats on the Forester fold flat? As an example - I know on the Honda CRV that the seats do not make a flat surface when folded however they can be folded up against the back of the front seat.

So - can someone please tell me how the rear seats in the Forester fold?

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    Air down to 18psi and drive smoothly, don't stop on soft sand (obviously).

A skilled driver will do just fine. Mine's been all over the beach and never once got stuck.

-juice
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    What beach does he fish on??

I get an annual permit for Island Beach State Park.
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid124/p61028f389707c46f2414eec231e7508b/f80f1a68.jp- - - - g

With stock tires, I did ok last summer airing down to about 12-14 psi's. On some of the very hot and dry summer days there were a lot of trucks in the sand, and it was pretty deep.

Towards the end of the summer I went with a 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in 225/55/17.
    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid143/p05902ea1ef062ef99ea2cd97135203b7/f6970f8c.jp- g
    It gives a wider footprint and slightly more ground clearance. I only went on the beach once with that set up (aired down to 18 psi's.), but I had a lot more confidence than I did the OEM's.

I didn't have traction problems with the OEM's, only that the sand would hit the bottom of the car when it was deep. I saw a stock pre-'03 Forester with an annual pass last summer on the beach as well. I did not get stuck at all last summer, although I was stuck there a couple of times a few years back with my Outback Sport. I was only airing down to 25 psi's at the time (lower car, smaller tires).

I have one of these too:
    http://www.azpinstalls.com/rallyarmor/index.html

There are also a couple of lift kits for the Forester if he's interested.

-Dennis
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Dennis,

Any problems with changing oil or jacking points with this kit for an '03 Forester? I probably need one of these as I drive regularly in orchards and vineyards and often get branches wacking my underside.

John
  • Options
    That's a heck of a lot better than the stock plastic cover.

-juice
  • Options
    The jacking points are not exposed because the skid plate bolts onto the jacking plate (if that's what you're referring to). Oil changes are actually faster now because I don't have to worry about those silly plastic clips. You just remove 4 bolts.

Putting it back on took some time getting used to. I just make sure that I have my head light (the one I wear on my head) on. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    maimai Member Posts: 10
    I have an '05 forester x. In order to fold the rear seat down completely flat, remove the head rests by pulling up on them and depressing the buttons at the base to pull it completely off. If you are facing the rear seats, there should be a plastic pull tab on each side closest to the door. Pull up on the tab and pull the seat forward. (the tab looks like one of those pull tabs on a fan- the one you pull up on to either make the fan blow in one place or rotate)

To put the seat back in place, simply push the seat in the upright position with a little force. The tab should automatically lock back in place.
  • Options
    rhody_marcorhody_marco Member Posts: 21
    A stone hit the windshield of our 2005 X. A single crack formed horizontally spanning the glass. One month old, and it needs replacing.

I asked the dealer if he could order the wiper de-icer windshield to replace the stock one I cracked. He was cool with it (for an extra 170 dollars). Just want to know if anyone has tried to wire this into a 2005 X. Also...where are the connectors located; can they be accessed after the glass is installed ?

Finally, is the de-icer's performance worth the effort.

Thanks.

Marco
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    From what I've seen this winter the defroster on my XT windshield doesn't seem to do much. I don't think it's worth $170 to upgrade. Plus you have to wire it in which could cost a few bucks for a switch relay & wiring that probably isn't there.

Chuck
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    The windshield wiper heater does absolutely squat. You're better off (and much cheaper) getting winter blades.
  • Options
    Yes the Forester's rear seats fold flat.

-Frank
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I agree with above posts. My 04 FXT heated windshield has been of limited use. The defroster seems to do most of the work. I had it on once and couldn't tell it did added anything - wipers still had a little ice on them. I don't think the heated mirrors work as well as in our 02 Highlander either. They clear frost ok, but don't do much for the wet mirrors that mar rear vision. The Highlander mirrors clear very fast, including water. My opinion is that neither windshield or mirrors on the FXT get warm enough to be really useful.
  • Options
    toasterpilottoasterpilot Member Posts: 48
    Juice--I know that you've been known to frequent the Outer Banks. I usually stay in Ocracoke where the beaches are a couple of miles out of town; maybe 4-5 miles from the 4WD ramp to the nearest gas station. How far can one drive on 18 psi?

Also, occasionally on a hard turn I hear a crunchy kind of squeak on the right rear. I asked my mechanic to grease the suspension but it didn't go away. He said that sometimes the gas tank can rub against the inside of the body. Anyone ever hear of this?
  • Options
    rhody_marcorhody_marco Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the input on the windshield, guys. I appreciate it. However, I've a few additional questions...

My dealer quoted me 300 bucks to replace the glass. I called a few other places and found them to be not much cheaper than the dealer quote. Some were even higher.

No one - including the dealer - is offering a genuine, made-in-Japan, windshield. The dealer says they just don't ship 'em here.

I could order a "Subaru" one with "Subaru" stamped on it. However, the dealer says that even this glass is not made by Subaru, merely made for Subaru here in the 'States.

He said it's a much better idea to use an "aftermarket" windshield, as it is the "same glass", just with a Subaru stamp and a 150-dollar markup.

The questions...

Does the 300-dollar figure sound right for an "aftermarket windshield ?

Is the original factory windshield or the Subaru-stamped one any better than the "aftermarket" I'm getting ?

Is it really not possible to get the "original" here in the US ?

Thanks,

Marco
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Agree - the Subaru "heated" mirrors should be called "lukewarm" mirrors. My Lexus and past Toyotas' mirrors heated up so quickly and hot, you could see steam coming off them. The mirror glass was completely cleared in seconds. With the Subaru, it sometimes takes more than 5 minutes to get decent visibility when using the mirror heaters.

Glass choices - had many replacement aftermarket windshields - never a problem. Just make sure to go to a good reputable glass place - it's not so much the glass, it's how good a job the installer does. $300 sounds a bit steep, I would call around and see if you can get below $250.
  • Options
    $300 sounds fairly reasonable to me.

The glass Subaru uses isn't exactly known for its strength/durability so I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

Like all manufacturers, Subaru doesn't actually "make" its own glass but uses a 3rd-party. I know of no reason why you couldn't order it in the US. My guess is that it's a hassle for the dealer to order OE glass and he probably has a higher profit margin on the aftermarket glass. Still, considering there's little to be gained by staying OE, I see no reason not to go the aftermarket route.

-Frank
  • Options
    I drove on the beach all day long. Probably a few miles south, then back home. We were in Rodanthe.

The 2nd year they had blocked the path, so I went to the beach just south of Rodanthe (forget the name) and drove there. That was a longer drive.

Sandy did fine, in fact that's when and where she earned her nickname.

18psi on dry is probably OK at low speeds, but I would not do that for more than a few miles and at under 50mph or so.

Crunchy Squeek - have your wheel bearing inspected.

Marco: your car insurance doesn't cover it? Mine does, in MD it's under the Comprehensive policy.

Subaru uses Carlex for some of its glass, but like Frank I'd just get whatever the vendor recommends, they're more familiar with it than I am.

-juice
  • Options
    Wow, you guys must have Friday cars. I can see the steam coming off my heated mirrors when I use them. The snow/ice starts melting really quickly around the wipers as well.

I agree that better wipers are a big improvement. Haven't gotten around to changing the FXT's yet, but switching to Bosch when I had a WRX and on my wife's OB made a bid difference. Ice doesn't stick to them as bad as on the OEM.

-Dennis
  • Options
    I went to Philly with Bob in heavy rain, about 2 hours each way. The heated mirrors worked like a charm, staying totally clear. It made me want them (and the heated seats) on my next car.

-juice
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I have to agree with Dennis. My FXT has been fine the few times I've had to use the heated mirrors and the heated windshield this winter. I'd also say the same items in my '00 Outback performed well too over the 4 years I had it.

-Brian
  • Options
    declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Call me crazy, but I think the heated mirrors in my old 2000 S worked a lot better than the mirrors in my 2005 XT.

Michael
  • Options
    That's because the XT is a lot faster so you have the wind chill to deal with. ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ........that is very funny! ..ez..
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That's because the XT is a lot faster so you have the wind chill to deal with...

But that would be offset by the lower air pressure and evaporation at higher speeds! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I have a 03 Forester x with mud flaps both front and rear. I seem to have a terrible problem this winter with snow compacting and freezing up in the wheel wells and turning to ice. I have to take a hammer and break it apart to allow the tires to freely spin and move. Are the mud flaps making this worse? The wheels and the 03 x also have a channel behind the spokes that can collect ice. After a snow last month every time I drove above 60mph my steering wheel shaked very badly this lasted for a day till it went away. It does not seem like this is avoidable unless I buy new rims. The ice can build up in the channel and throw the tires off balance. Both seem like a very poor design for a snow drived car
  • Options
    dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Try spraying some silicon or applying some wax to the flaps and inter surface of the rims.

Edit: Don't get the silicon on the brakes!

DaveM
  • Options
    lovemysubielovemysubie Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Forester XS...love it as much as my 2004 XT. Unfortunately the XT met its demise on the beltway in Maryland one December morning (moment of silence). I had the car for only four months and a day, but after walking away from an accident involving a semi-truck (it rear-ended me and this after a small truck that spun out collided with me seconds before), I was sold on the safety provided by the Forester. I also love the heated seats and the cargo area. My new Forester came with a moonroof as well. I highly recommend this car!!!
  • Options
    njswamplandsnjswamplands Member Posts: 1,760
    just drive really fast
  • Options
    I've seen that problem before, and we know the solution.

The problem is your zip code. Move to Florida and you will not longer have that problem. ;-)

Spray or rub some lithium grease on the inside of the wheel well/mud flap. And keep those wheels clean and waxed (they're painted, so wax 'em).

It's not any better or worse than any other vehicle IMHO.

-juice
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Glad you're OK! That is one tough little car.

So, why did you get an XS instead of an XT this time around?

Craig
  • Options
    kiangsterkiangster Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Forester X is only 2 months old/2500 miles. Two weeks back on a relatively mild morning in Virginia it wouldn't start. The engine wouldn't turn over, on multiple attempts, separated in time. Roadside assistance was able to jump the car (with difficulty), and I haven't encountered the problem since. The dealer says the car is fine- nothing wrong with starter, battery, etc. He said it might be the gas I was using; this sounds bogus to me. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Options
    Wow, glad you're ok! That reminds me of the guy on nabisco in a WRX in PA. Stopped in traffic (I think) behind a tractor-trailer. Another tractor-trailer is coming behind and doesn't react quick enough and smashes into the WRX, pushing it underneath the truck in front. The guy in the Tractor-trailer/WRX sandwich comes out with minor cuts and bruises.

Problems starting could be a number of things and gas could be one. If the fuel tank is low, there could also be condensation if the weather is wet.
    lark6 on here had a problem starting is '05 XT and replaced the battery when it was only a few months old.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Sounds like it was a fluke? No problem since, I guess?

Two things I can think of, was it extremely cold? If so, consider the block heater Subaru sells as an accessory. Edit: no, just read your message again, you said it was mild.

Another is condensation in the fuel tank. I think it was Kate that used a bottle of DryGas and it solved her problem.

3rd thought - be sure to pre-pressurize the fuel line, turn the key to the on position but hesitate a few seconds before you actually start it. You will hear the fuel pump "whirr".

The fuel injection has to build up very high pressure (something like 150psi) to operate normally.

-juice
  • Options
    jopopsyjopopsy Member Posts: 65
    Hey Gang,

I was thinking on something as I was driving into work today; I figured I'd pass my thoughts on to you all for your opinions.

One of the things I like about my 05 Forester XS is it reminds me (loosely) of my Pop's 80's AMC Jeep Cherokee Lareado (sp?). Roughly similar size, equally capable, etc. Yes, the Jeep looked more trucky (recall I did say LOOSELY). Any how, I was thinking of my satisfaction level in driving my Forester, and indeed the only thing I wish my Subaru had was a 6 Cylinder like my Pop's Jeep.

But then, *drumroll pls.* I got to thinking (uh oh ..). :P

Comparing the engine in a mid 80's 6 cylinder Jeep vs. the 4 cylinder engine in a 05 Forester (non-turbo), which is better? Which would you prefer? Did 1.5 decades of improvements make the Subaru's 4 superior to the Jeep's venerable 6?

Jopopsy
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I had an '87 Comanche pickup with the 4.0L I6. They were a decent torquey motor. I think back then they actually detuned the I6 to preserve the tranny, until later when they came out with the HighOutput version.

The I6 was very easy to work on for a DIY, at least in my Comanche.

-Brian
This discussion has been closed.