Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Mayme,

Frank pretty much answered it all but I'll chip as a second reference:

Price: $500 over is good. $24.4K sounds about right but please double check using Edmund's invoice price information.

Service: Subarus are no more expensive than other vehicles to service.

Airbags: Haven't heard of that during the 3 years of my Forester ownership.

Warranty: ditto Frank

Room: Are you planning on carrying back seat passengers on a regular basis? If yes, you may want to consider the Legacy, Outback or GT wagons too. They also scored very well in crash tests. The Forester is a bit more of a nimble vehicle, however.

Ken
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Mayme- It would be very unusual nowadays for any factory installed sunroof/moonroof to leak and the Forester's is no exception. It's been my experience that most leaks occur from poor aftermarket installations. Also, I can't fault your husband for liking the Forester's moonroof, it's one of the biggest available and is a great bargain.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Mayme --
    WE got our Forester at $200 over invoice + 30% over the invoice price of the accessories. This is in upstate NY region and the dealer has a hassle free pricing policy. I am not sure if this price will work in Va -- but you might just try.

Also do check out www.carsdirect.com for the price they are offering -- the dealer should give you at least that price if not less.

We test drove a Forester on a rainy day and there was no leaks from the moonroof then. We also had a 97 Mitsubishi with a moonroof and that never leaked either, inspite of the heavy snow we get here -- so it should not be much of a concern.

Regarding roominess my personal opinion is that the Forester has one of the best front seat leg room and headroom (I also test drove a CRV, RAV-4 and Santa Fe). Also because if its design (large windshield and all ) it FEELS much more roomier. Along with the huge moonroof it gives you a feeling of being outside.
    Rear seat room is not worse than some midesize sedans. So I really did not mind, especially since its mostly my wife or me driving. Now this is my own feelings -- others may think differently.

Hope this helps.

-P.
  • Options
    zxrsizerzxrsizer Member Posts: 10
    Thank you all for the information. I went and did another test drive today and I am hooked. It looks like I need to do a little haggling now. I can't wait until she is parked in my driveway! :)

Mayme
  • Options
    jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    My wife was set on getting a Forester to replace her Corolla earlier this year. As she got closer to decision time she started having doubts about interior room.

We were planning on purchasing the vehicle and driving it for about 150,000 miles, which is about ten years @ 15,000 miles/year. As we are about to have our first child and we have two large dogs that love to go to the park, we had immediate space needs. Looking ahead ten years, who knows what our needs will be!

Because of all this, my wife chose the Honda Odyssey over the Forester. She was a little bummed about the "minivan mama" stigma at first, but now it doesn't bother her at all. Now she wonders how she ever lived with the Odyssey. It's a wonderfully versatile vehicle with seven comfortable seats, great handling, good power and lots of cargo room.

Everyone's situation is different, and I'm sure you'll do just fine with whatever you purchase. I'm going to be replacing my Civic in about 6 months and the Forester is on my short list. I like the vehicle a lot (except for the cupholders!) and have had family buy Subarus on my recommendation. Depending on your needs, both vehicles are a great choice.

Good luck!

Jim
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Odyssey is a fine minivan. Just avoid the first year models (99), whose trannies were prone to early failure. Also, you'll pay list and may even have to wait for it.

If you choose a small SUV, the Forester is a good choice. Parts are actually far cheaper than Mazda's parts, from my experience. I have a 1998 and do all the maintenance myself.

If you don't mind driving to Rockville, Fitzmall.com has a dealer near White Flint, and they sell Foresters for about invoice, no haggling at all.

I have never heard of any cases of an air bag failing to deploy when it should have, and I read all the Subaru boards here.

Good luck shopping, let us know what you end up with.

-juice
  • Options
    edfe18edfe18 Member Posts: 3
    A revisit on the octane or valve rattle message I posted last week. I've paid more attention to the "rattle". It's a 2001 Forester S Premium with auto transmission. Engine temp doesn't seem to be a factor--in fact, it may do it a little more when the engine is warm. It occurs when I step on the gas--not necessarily a hard acceleration and not only or always on hills. I've watched the speedometer--seems to happen anywhere between 20 and 50 mph (above 50 it gets too noisy to tell). I would guess it's between 2nd and 3rd gear? It's not very loud--I can hear it now because I'm listening for it but only with the windows up and the radio off. What's frustrating is that it doesn't occur all the time.
  • Options
    gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    ...Thanks for the information...the letter will be in the mail on monday addressed to you....thanks again.....
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Katherine-- I remember your previous post but didn't follow the responses you got. I also have a slight ping when initially accelerating in maybe 3rd, 4th or 5th (manual tranny) or when mistakenly stepping on the accelerator when the engine starts to lug. I've got an '02 S+. I have't paid it too much attention to it because, as you stated, it's not that loud and I definitely have to be specifically listening for it to even notice it. It isn't like the major pinging that is being described over on the Outback/Legacy forum. I've tried different brands of fuel and found that it does seem a little less noticeable with certain brands; all 87 octane so far. My inclination is to add maybe a quarter tank of premium fuel to see if it disappears but haven't yet tried it. I'm always hesitant on buying mid-grade because for some reason, I don't trust how they blend it ...I figure, adding my own premium would accomplish the same thing and I can control the blend myself.

So anyway, I'll be interested in the responses you get.

--'rocco
  • Options
    goose14goose14 Member Posts: 11
    Have had no problems with 2001 forrester at 12,000 miles-nothing. No pinging-i suspect car has knock sensor and that if you spring for premium fuel it will perform better as timing can be more advanced by the ecm before it knocks. Cost difference over the years onoy a timy part of totalcost of ownership and if moneyis an issue opnc can give up some sin like cigeretts a bottle of wine to make up[ the difference.
  • Options
  • Options
    illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    If you have a link to a page that has information about the 2003 Forester, I would appreciate it.

MT
  • Options
    akabetty99akabetty99 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought 2002 forester S premium today. Yipee. hope the weather here in New Mexico stays nice for a while so I can take advantage of the huge moonroof. Paid $500 over invoice. I said to the saleperson that I thought this was a fair price and he said OK. That was it. This is my first new car purchase and it was really painless.

the only thing that bothers me is that the dealer wants $280 to add the security system upgrade kit. The edmund msrp for the kit is $180. ( I had requested this add on after I signed all the paperwork). They say the price is not negotiable because it would cost them more than $180 to buy the kit and have a technician install it.

Does this sound legit?
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    FWIW - I have yet to hear of ANY problems with Forester airbags. I read a lot of customer cases as part of my job and it is definitely not an issue. Same thing with the sunroof. I hope your negotiations go well and I look forward to welcoming you as a member of the Subaru family!

Patti
  • Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome! I'm glad the sales process was smooth.

I can't really answer about the alarm system, since this is something that is handled during the "retail" process, but I can ask around for you. Hopefully, one of the folks on this board will be able to advise you based on experience. I'll let you know what I learn.

Again, welcome!

Patti
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    What is $100 over the life of the car? It's not that much if you think about it in the grand scheme of things. Go for it!

-mike
  • Options
    Rocco, a good way to have your car messed up permenantly and at the least get on bad terms with your service dept. is to buy your parts externally and then have them install them. I think that's a pretty cheapo thing to do personally, and I wouldn't blame them for charging you more for the labor. The only time I've actually done that is when my dealer was un-able to get ahold of a particular part and asked me to get it and they'd install it.

-mike
  • Options
    Mike-- That was only one alternative. My dealer told me that their service department has standard rates for installation of accessories and it didn't matter if I bought the part from them or brought it in myself. They explained that their parts and service departments are not necessarily tied together to work in tandem. They even encourgaged me that if I could find the accessory somewhere else online to buy it and bring it in to have it installed. They didn't have the part in stock and their service department would charge the same labor rate as if I had purchased it there. Just as if I had a different dealership than where I purchased the car, service my car, I'd certainly hope that they wouldn't mess my car up because I didn't purchase it there. Their service department is making money by servicing my vehicle or installing an accessory whether or not I purchased it there or not. I'd be pretty disappointed at the integrity of a Subaru dealership if they intentionally "messed up" my car because I asked them to install a genuine Subaru part or accessory that I brought in myself ...or if I brought my car in for service that I had purchased somewhere else.

I was only only commenting on Betty's concern that she may be paying too much for the installation and suggesting a few alternatives that she could consider if she felt that the charge was exorbitant. Buying it online and self-installing would obviously be preferable but if that couldn't be done, then taking it to a dealer to install would be one alternative.

--'rocco
  • Options
    Actually dealers like when you buy elsewhere and have it serviced at their shop. Maybe it's just the NY Metro area that frowns on bringing parts in to be installed. I just find it to be kinda like going to a resturant and bringing your own steak and asking them to cook it for you, no?

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments. My forester is aspen white. With the desert sun, I didn't want a dark car and have the car become an oven in the summer.

Yeah, paisan, $100 in the long run is not a big deal. It is not worth my time to shop around.

My concern about paying (what seems to me a high cost for the security system upgrade) is whether this is a sign of things to come. ie, am i going to pay $50-$100 more than usual whenever I want things done at this dealer. The salesman was very reasonable but i've heard they don't have much influence on post-sale issues. They also told me that if I have accessories installed at time of purchase, it would be under the 3 yr warranty. If added after delivery, it would be only 1 yr coverage.

Re: the airbags. when I was at the dealer, there was a forester with front engine damage but preserved bumpers. The sales guy told me that the airbag probably didn't go off because the bumper was not damaged. Apparently the airbag sensors are located 2 in the bumper and 2 in the dash. Any 2 need to be triggered for the airbag to go off. Maybe Patti can verify this info. (I wasn't listening very carefully because I was admiring my new car)
  • Options
    There are no sensors in the bumpers since the early 90s. I know you can remove bumpers w/o disconnecting any airbag sensors.

-mike
  • Options
    beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    ...except that the manual for my '02 Forester says not to put my arm on the armrest or on the window. Yeah, okay.

WHY, then, do they put front armrests on the car? I don't get it. They could have kept them and put them in another vehicle.

And if I can't hang my arm out of the window, well I guess they could have kept the window too.

Hey, this rant is not much sillier than an owner's manual full of lawyers' CYAs.

John
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    beachfish,

WHY, then, do they put front armrests on the car?

Maybe so you can rest your arm on it while you're parked in your garage? ;-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    'rocco and paisan: Dealers and their parts/service departments vary in their approach to customer supplied parts. Sometimes they will be glad to install your parts if they don't have them in stock or cannot obtain them in a reasonable amount of time. Others will force you to sit and wait while they search for the part, then reschedule you for another appointment when they finally get the part. This can be a big inconvenience, especially if your car doesn't have a huge dealership network. When I don't do my own oil changes and take the car in for regularly scheduled service, I will bring my own oil in to them; usually I don't get grief for this.

I can't speak of the CYA/products liability issue related to arms on armrests containing side airbags. I do wish Subaru had offered the inside "captain's chairs" armrests here like the ones I saw on the UK-spec Foresters. Those would've eliminated the need for the center armrest (and would've been a better fit for me, since I'm short and my elbow barely rests on that armrest) and would've prevented the console cupholder deletion.

Ed
  • Options
    beachfishbeachfish Member Posts: 97
    There are restaurants in coastal areas that advertise that they will "Cook Your Catch." They cater to recreational fishermen and are happy to charge for cooking your fish and sell you the rest of the meal for very little discount. Not really a bad idea...you get to eat your fish and they sell dinner to all of your friends and family.

I even found one of these places in Quepos, Costa Rica this past June.

So, why wouldn't a service department want to do a customer a favor just to get them in the door and win their business - and maybe the business of the customer's friends and family too?

John

P.S. - I'm tall, armrest extension short. I'm sorta medium big, armrest sorta flimsy. My salesman said that the armrest was designed to give in case of an accident! I countered that the armrest was an accident.

I'm just playing here until I get around to the serious questions about speakers, front skid plates and fuzzy dice. '02 Forester is much nicer than my recently junked '86 4wd GL wagon :)
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    what's the advantage? Is it just cosmetic?

Leo
  • Options
    But in the NY/NJ/PA Metro Area, plan on getting screwed on the labor if you bring your own parts to them. Then again I also tip my mechanics whenever they do work, so it may just be a NY-Metro thing to do. Also our Parts and Service departments (subie or not) are usually tied together tightly and are the major money maker for the dealerships. With 10000 dealers around, they cut-throat on the sales price and rape you on the service. Having owned my own business a computer business, I always hated it when I didn't get an opportunity to sell a customer a PC when doing an install, rates were always higher for non hardware buying customers than for ones who bought the hardware from us. :)

-mike
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    leomort: Alloy wheels are lighter than steel wheels (of the same size), and lead to less 'unsprung weight', therefore better handling.
  • Options
    Taking my own parts or oil to the dealership's service department would take more chutzpah than I could ever muster. Besides their liability issue, they want (or should want) the whole dealership to profit, both parts and service. I agree with paisan, I'd expect to be gouged a bit on the labor price. Maybe it is different out West, but I can imagine what the service manager would say to me here in New Jersey.

And what the hell do they charge you for an oil change if you bring your own oil and filter???
  • Options
    Never even thought about that issue. The only time I've ever brought stuff to a place to have it installed was recently on my trooper. The local Midas shop where we've done a lot of business over the years couldn't get Rancho 9000 shocks and Springs that I ordered from australia so they said to get the stuff and they'd install it, even that took some arm twisting and I've used the place a lot. I guess out West things are different!

-mike
  • Options
    zxrsizerzxrsizer Member Posts: 10
    Has anybody heard what they are doing for the '03 Forester? I read they are putting it on the Outback platform. When do they come out with the next model year? In the fall?

I am still trying to decide on a sporty Forester vs. the Honda Odyssey. Do Suburus retain their value pretty well as far as resale?

Thanks.

Mayme
  • Options
    Q: And what the hell do they charge you for an oil change if you bring your own oil and filter???

A: Usually just labor. OEM Subaru filters = Purolator filters; you can usually buy Purolators cheaper, but you'll still most likely have to buy the crush washer from the Subaru parts department.

Q: I can imagine what the service manager would say to me here in New Jersey.

A: Usually don't receive flak from dealers west of the Delaware. Try coming over to Pennsylvania.

Many people here swear by Flemington Subaru in NJ; supposedly they are "mod-friendly."

Ed
  • Options
    lark6: What is the labor cost on the oil change? $10 American? I can't imagine they'd want to pull your vehicle into the bay for that little cash. Not worth writing it up.
  • Options
    $15 - 20 US is typical. Many facilities have set up their own equivalent of "Jiffy Lubes" for just this purpose. In my case, I haven't ever taken in a car to the dealer service department for just the oil change; there has been some other sort of scheduled maintenance or warranty work performed.

Ed
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nov 20: Starting from scratch: What would you do if you were starting a new car company?

• Options
    penguinpowerpenguinpower Member Posts: 6
    We picked up our 2002 S w/premium last weekend. We plan to use it for Thanksgiving travel (about a 200 mile trip, almost all freeway).
    In looking through the owners' manual, I see a comment about the engine break-in period (first 1000 miles).
    It states not to drive at a constant speed (fast or slow) for extended periods of time during the first 1,000 miles.
    With about 190 miles of freeway driving staring me in the face, I think I am going to be having a "constant" speed.
    How much do I need to vary the speed? How often do I need to drop?
    Can I drive 65 for 45 minutes to an hour and then drop down to 55 for a period? Or what?
    Your help is appreciated.

Dave
    Thanks
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Mayme- Subaru is expected to release info on the new Forester any day now. When it will debut is still up in the air. Rumor has it that it will be available in the Spring but if that were the case, we normally would know a lot more about it by now. My bet is it will debut sometime next summer. Regarding retained value: Subarus do very well at retaining their value. I belive that Consumer Reports rates the line as a whole as above average and lists most models as recommended user car buys.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    1subydown1togo1subydown1togo Member Posts: 348
    I picked up my WRX wagon last weekend and had a 275 mile drive home..Here are the generally accepted break-in rules
    1) NO cruise control
    2) Don't go above 4000 RPM
    3) I was told to vary the speed every 10 minutes or so..shouldn't be too hard; just ease off the gas now and then, or accelerate.

Good Luck on your new Forester and have a great Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    felch1felch1 Member Posts: 19
    Here is a weird one
    On the bottom part of my steering wheel, the steering wheel is beginning to almost wear down. It has spots that are really rough which is evident when you turn the wheel. Almost looks like it is wearing down prematurely. I have got to believe this would be covered under the warranty?
    Any thoughts
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    Felch 1 - Unless your dog chewed on it, I'm sure it will be covered under warrenty. Do you have a dog?
    Trivia quiz - What movie is this line from - "Does your dog bite?" ... "That's not my dog."

Happy Thanksgiving Everybody !!!!!!

Hutch
  • Options
    crashton6crashton6 Member Posts: 245
    The Pink Panther. I laugh every time I see that.

Chuck
  • Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    and on the first response too. Very good Chuck. And now for the bonus question .. what was the name of the dog? Ahh .. just kidding.

- Hutch
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The name of the dog was Not My Dog! :-)

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Drove the S premium home for 5 days ago and love it. the sunroof is awesome. I have new car syndrome where I look for a good parking spot so that i will avoid dings on the doors, etc.

I have 2 dogs that are used to sitting in the back seat of my old legacy wagon. With the forester being so pristine (my first brand new car), it pains me to see their hair and paw/nose prints all over. I'm thinking of banishing them to the cargo area.

My question is for the owners with the dog guard. Is is easy to install or should I have the dealer do it? Do you have do drill any holes? Is it easy to remove if I need the space? Thanks.
  • Options
    felch1felch1 Member Posts: 19
    I bought the dogguard from Subaru.
    This guard requires that you put two bracket supports in the ceiling which brace the guard and then it slips into where the cargo cover sits as well. The guard is sturdy, however it has a section that indents (so the guard is not totally flat) reducing the amount of space you have for the dog. In retrospect, I would not buy this again. I have large dogs and even transporting one with this thing in the car is too tight.
    I would buy a third party barrier that is totally flat, that does not require the ceiling brackets, and that you can use when you put the seats down putting it behind the drivers and passengers seat giving the dogs the whole back of the vehicle.
    Just my two cents.
  • Options
    maddieimaddiei Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking to replace my '93 Accord with an SUV-style car with more cargo space and AWD for our snowy winters. My priorities also include safety, reliability and a smooth (car-like) ride for long trips. I liked the 2002 S+ that I test-drove, and it seems to meet our needs, but I'm so comfortable in my old Honda that nothing else feels quite right! I'm also looking into these other choices. Did any of you consider these other vehicles before you bought your Forester? What were the pros/cons vs. the Forester? Thanks, Maddie
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Maddie,

Back when I was shopping for my Forester, I knew I wanted an AWD wagon so I also looked into the Subaru Outback and Honda CR-V. My choice was driven by the fact that the Forester was very fun to drive but gave me enough cargo room for my needs. The Outback was in it's last years of it's previous model so it was looking a bit dated. The CR-V was just way too underpowered to be of any serious consideration. That was back in 98 so lots of things have changed since.

If you're looking for cargo and passenger room, then consider in addition to the Passat, the Subaru Legacy, Outback or Legacy GT wagons. These probably will "feel" closest to your Accord since they are passenger cars.

If you want a little more of the SUV look, then also look into the new CR-V and possibily the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute.

Ken
  • Options
    budhinckleybudhinckley Member Posts: 25
    I'm 6'3" with a 33 inch inseam and a LONG torso. I used to have problems with legroom in cars - but now I have more problem with HEADROOM than
    legroom!

I'm in immediate need to purchase a fully loaded SUV - tried out the Toyota RAV4 and Highlander. Even in the Highlander, my head was slightly bumping the moonroof. (Same in an Avalon - the new Camry was the best of all of them I sat in!)

Are there any decent decked out ($30-35K) small/medium SUVs that have decent headroom (and legroom)?

Side note: I had to special order a Nissan Maxima and waited 5 months to get it WITHOUT a moonroof - I would rather NOT go through that again. And I need to get my hands on a new SUV by the end of the year.

[Also, I am trading in a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser - about $36K trade-in value.]

Bud Hinckley
  • Options
    Try the Trooper, you should be able to find an S model w/o a moonroof or an LS 2001 leftovers. The S is selling for around $22K and the LS for around $25K. They have excellent headroom for taller drivers.

-mike
  • Options
    alicek2alicek2 Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if anyone has had a problem with Forester steering pulling hard to the right when braking. I have a 2001 which I bought at the beginning of this year. Since I bought it, it has randomly pulled to the right in braking, but the dealer said they could not duplicate the problem.
This discussion has been closed.