Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    thecatthecat Member Posts: 535
    I have a 99-S (my 1st Soob) and have been really pleased with it specifically, and Subaru in general. Enough so that I purchased a 02 WRX in April and my wife now drives the Forester. Even though I now have the "Rex", I still enjoy driving the Forester when the opportunity arises. I think you will be very satisfied with the purchase. Welcome, in advance, to the Soob Crew.

2% over is fair. People loose sight of the fact that dealers have to make a profit. Their overhead is quite significant.

As far as options go, you get more bang for your buck at a car stereo store than the dealer or mfg.
    My advise is .. buy it somewhere else. The security system is another story. Factory security systems are always my preference over after market. Plus the OEM isn't very expensive. Other options you might want to consider are the arm rest extension (very comfortable and keeps your right arm at the same height as your left) and the rear cargo cover (to hide whatever jewels you may have in the back).

- Hutch
  • Options
    pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Paul,

Congrats on choosing a Forester. We recently got ours (Forester S) and have already put over 1000miles on it in 2 weeks !! And we are loving it more and more everyday.
    We purchased from a dealer with a 'no-haggle' policy who offers all Subarus $200 over invoice price. So 2% does not really sound too bad (~$300 for the L), especially if it includes the add-on (our dealer charged 30% over invoice for the add-ons). (this dealer is in upstate NY -- so if you live nearby I can give you the information)

Regarding the options, I would agree that aftermarket speakers etc would indeed be better that the manufacture installed ones. I myself was not very confident about being able to install aftermarket speakers (though it seems easy now having seen juice's pictures) and was also getting a deal on an upgraded speaker+tweeter+subwoofer package that saved me about $120. So I went for it. The sound quality is to my liking and I have a feeling that I got what I paid for. But then I don't remember how the original speakers sound like (heard them only for a few minutes during the test drive), so I cannot comment on the improvement the upgraded ones produce. Also the L probably does not come with a CD-player, so if you are looking for a complete sound package, the stereo shop might really be the better place for you.

The factory security system IMO is good enough. It activates the alarm and immobilizes the engine if there is a glass break-in, or the doors, hood or trunck is forced open. There is also a panic feature. Subaru does not offer any protection for the stereo though (i.e no 'radio won't work if removed' sticker on the windscreen).

Among others, I would also recommend the arm-rest extension -- in addition to comfort, it also provides some extra storage space for knick-knacks. The most useful option to us has been the Auto-dimming mirror+electronic compass. The dimming feature is really useful both in city and highway driving (especially when the big SUVS or trucks are behind you). We keep wishing that the sideview mirrors had the same property!! The compass might be usefull -- but overall, according to my wife it really looks 'cool'. I would put it in a 'must-have' column.

If you are thinking of going off-road regularly, you might consider the rear differential protector which is not too expensive (~$80). Some people on this board have commented on the usefulness of the rear-window dust deflector. The full-dash woodgrain trim also looks pretty good especially on and around the overhead console and clock.
    Lastly we got the rubber mats since winter was fast approaching (by now you can tell that we really splurged on the options !!). The mats look pretty good with deep indents. Unfortunately no signs of winter yet in upstate NY !
    The rear cargo cover is probably a standard feature for all the Foresters.

Hope this is helpful -- and good luck with your purchase...
  • Options
    rsunicorsunico Member Posts: 82
    Can anyone recommend a good used Subaru parts place where I can get a set of 16" alloy rims?
    Thanks.

PS. My Sube's name is Predictable: Forest. My Saab convertible: Sven.

My 5 prior Peugeots (don't laugh): Jean-Luc, Brigitte, Gigi, Madam Chose, Edith. Go figure.
  • Options
    goose14goose14 Member Posts: 11
    I got rid of the notchiyness in my 2001 forester accelerator (and the lack of smmthness associated with it) by starting at the firewall removing cable from the first two or three factory poastic retainers and rerouting the cable to have as little bends as possible and taping it in place with duct tape-this is emperical done with frinenworking the pefdal while i tried different arrangements. Difference is amazing. Do not know if cable binding is generic or unique to my forrester. Will ask when it goes in for 15,000 mile service (have changed oil myself since first dealer service -no time for hassile of car drop off etc so avoid dealer service for the most part-it is good to have a pr0fessional look at it periodically though.
  • Options
    sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Simon,

I recently bought a 2002 Forester L and after hearing the AM/FM Cassette stereo it came with I opted for the Single CD Premium Package when I ordered mine.

My decision was based on two factors. One was that after getting my new Subaru I didn't want to take it a "stereo shop" and have some guy digging around in the dash and re-wiring something for me. Secondly I figured that even if the system wasn't state-of-the-art if I had a problem it would be covered under factory warranty for the first 3years/36,000.

The system comes with the tweeter kit (the little speakers that go high in the door, above the window controls), upgraded speakers in the front and back doors, a sub-woofer/amplifier under the drivers seat and a single in-dash CD player.

The sound is better than I could have asked for! Everything from Van Halen to Stan Getz sounds incredibly clear and distinct. One thing to note is that I had to adjust the bass setting on the stereo to -3 to compensate for the increase I was getting from the sub-woofer. But that may just be personal taste.

In closing I would highly recommend the factory upgrade. When I purchased my Forester I negotiated a deal that included all options at invoice so the cost was $525. Good Luck!

-Donn
  • Options
    jerrys2jerrys2 Member Posts: 189
    Just purchased '02 S/Prem w/leather, dust deflector, tail pipe cover and armrest ext. for INVOICE at Bertera Subaru, West Springfield (800-637-9661). Ask for Tim Garner...no hassle. You could also check Concord Subaru (978-897-7052) in the eastern part of the state.

We also own a 2000 Outback Ltd. which we think is great (it replaced a '96 Outback) I guess we are sold on Subarus.

Anyone purchased woodgrain trim aftermarket?

Jerry
  • Options
    cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    Juice,

Thanks for pictorial instructions for changing oil. However, can you provide me with the list
    of tools required (any suggestions where I can buy them)? Also, how do you dispose used oil?
    Is fender flares of any use? Also, if I buy a
    CD player from subaru how difficult/easy is to install one. The CD players from other manufacturers doesn't have AM reception.

Thanks,
    cp
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I use a crescent wrench to remove the oil drain plug, and my hands to remove the oil filter. If that's tight, you may need an oil filter wrench. Get an oil pan, and don't forget a new crush washer with the oil filter. A small flat screwdriver helps remove the plastic engine cover, and use that same crescent wrench to remove the 4 screws on the cover bottom.

Or cut a whole in the plastic to access the filter, like I did last time. Then you no longer need the flat screw driver.

I also use rhino ramps, though they are not 100% necessary. Wal Mart has those for $30, totally worth it IMHO.

Take the used oil to a gas station, many have signs saying they recycle oil for you. Or the county dump usually has a place.

Fender flares are mostly cosmetic, though my aftermarket rims are set farther out from the body, so I needed them. I don't have a CD.

Wow, lots of photos to share, since folks have asked about fender flares,

premium sound speakers, and

16" rims. You can see the fender flare installation, the base and premium speakers side-by-side, and my 16" rims next to the 15" stock steelies.

For the rims, I'd buy new aftermarket ones. You can get used 16" WRX rims from i Club classifieds, but you may find new ones for less. I paid just $75 a pop for my 16"x7", and after 14k miles they are easily the smartest purchase I made for my Forester.

-juice
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    You may also want to check if your local trash service recycles oil. Where I live, all you need to do is put your oil into a sealed plastic container (ie. milk container) and leave it out with the other recyclables.

Ken
  • Options
    danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    We bought a new Forester S a week ago and this morning I played a tape for the first time and was a little disappointed in the sound quality. I don't use the stereo very much but I would suggest getting the premium speakers if you can get them at invoice.
    Ours came with a hood deflector, which is probably a good thing to prevent the front of hood from getting chipped (like my '96). On the other hand the hood deflector is an eyesore IMHO with lighter paint colors.
    I'm not sure I like the auto-dimming mirror. Mine just seems tinted, it doesn't seem any different whether it's turned on or off, and it's bulky and obstructs vision more than the normal mirror. On the other hand the tinting does seem adequate.
    I've tried the seat warmers a couple of times as a novelty, but I don't think they are needed with cloth seats.
    Does anyone with the armrest extension also have a 5 speed?? Does it interfere with shifting?

ateixeira - thanks for the pictures on installing the premium speakers, I may do that. Did it make a big difference?

cp - around here Walmart and most auto parts stores recycle waste oil. I just bring in the old oil from my last oil change when I go to buy the new oil for the next one.
  • Options
    A note about milk jugs - fill them up all the way if you can, they're less likely to leak. If you seal a half full container they tend to leak, but I'll let the scientists explain why since I can't.

A difference? Yes. Big? No. I could put the volume up to 22 on the base speakers before they distorted, while the premiums can handle about 25 with the same music before I can hear distortion.

I have the armrest extension and it does not interfere with my 5 speed, but it may depend on your height. Try one at the dealer that has one.

-juice
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Juice- I'm assuming that you don't normally keep the volume that high or you'd be deaf! Probably wouldn't be too popular with the neighbors either :-)

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092

First fifteen people in the chat door get a free Swix Knitted Ski Hat from Subaru!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

• Options
    crimsonlizardcrimsonlizard Member Posts: 20
    I'm in the market for either a new or used Forester and am looking for some advice. I believe that the AWD systems in auto Foresters is slightly different from that in five speeds. I'm wondering if there is a significant performance difference (in terms of the AWD system). Quite honestly, I'd prefer a five speed. Recently drove a 2001 S Premium with an auto and found it just a bit sluggish on the freeway---i'm assuming the five speed would be a bit quicker.

The 2001 S Premium i'm looking at is listed at $20,900--good shape, 11,200 miles. Good deal???

Thanks.
  • Options
    Yes they have two different AWD systems (although you'd be hard pressed in every day driving to tell the difference). And yes most people agree that the 5-speed is a little quicker.

Regarding the price of the 01: you can use Edmund's to calculate the cost of a 02 S+ with the applicable options and be pretty close on what the 01 cost when new. I'd then subtract 20% and the result is what I'd consider a good price. $20,900 sounds a little high. Is that from a dealer or private party? I'd expect to pay less from a private party. FYI Forester's do tend to hold their value very well.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    I'm in the market for either a new or used Forester and am looking for some advice. I believe that the AWD systems in auto Foresters is slightly different from that in five speeds. I'm wondering if there is a significant performance difference (in terms of the AWD system). Quite honestly, I'd prefer a five speed. Recently drove a 2001 S Premium with an auto and found it just a bit sluggish on the freeway---i'm assuming the five speed would be a bit quicker.

The 2001 S Premium i'm looking at is listed at $20,900--good shape, 11,200 miles. Good deal???

Thanks.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    If you're looking to make a purchase you may want to check out Edmund's new payment calculator!

* The True Market Value (TMV) tools are integrated into the calculators to assist the consumer in accurately assessing the deal parameters prior to walking on a dealer's lot.

Give it a test drive at: Loan Calculator

tidester

Host

SUVs

• Options

Thanks.
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    I'm in the market for a used recent model Forester. Can anyone tell me what year the car seat latch points became standard?
  • Options
    No, Frank, that was just for the test. I can only take "The Best of Elmo" so loud! It's pretty painful except at "mute"!

If you want a 5 speed, get that. Both AWD systems are effective. The automatic is more sophisticated and can react quicker, but the manual is set at 50/50 to begin with and can be more fun IMO.

That price is about $3000 less than a new Premium, so that seems like a fair discount. I saw one for sale on i Club for $20000, so try to bargain down a little.

The tether anchors became standard in 2000. But it's so easy to add it's not even funny. I added them to my 1998, you just order the kit (a few bucks, I forget exactly) and pop off a plastic cover and bolt it on. Takes two minutes to add.

-juice
  • Options
    goose14goose14 Member Posts: 11
    my 2001 forester has a little gas tank so that on long trips there are too many gas stops-i am used to the 24 gal tank in my big bad mercedes e-300 turbodiesel that you can go 600 miles between fillups. alas, it is sideways in the snow and ice while the forester is glued to the road. WHy so small a tank and is there a remedy besides carring extra gas which is dangerous. this would be critical in another gas shortage. i still am hopelessly in love with the thing. by the way, i need a twin for my wife the old cothe new model having a lot of bugs and when is it comming out. Mite be better opff with old proven w in bad weatrher. any concerns about technology. Understand that the 6 cylinider had some timing chain problems and such.
  • Options
    Well, a couple of things. First, your engine is probably still green, so mileage ought to improve. Mine got better by about 2mpg after the first year.

The tank is 15.9 gallons. The 2000 Outback got a bigger tank, 16.9, so perhaps the 2003 Forester will get one too.

Finally, use you trip odometer. The fuel gauge is conservative. The low fuel light is also, it's on with 2.3 gallons left.

A couple of early H6s had timing chains break, but I've only heard of 2-3 of them out of many more owners.

-juice
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Goose, have you thought about installing an extra gas tank?? Many SUV and truck owners do it, give them much longer range. You'll get a second gas gauge too. I know I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where, but Some Forester owners have done it, then again they were Australian...lots more toys for the forester over there.

The Thule basket is a good size, but whatever luggage you put up there better be weather proof, or they are things you don't mind getting wet. otherwise a hardshell carrier might suite your needs better. Get the biggest one you can afford, believe me you will put more stuff up there than you think. Thule secures easily to the factory roof rack, easy to take off too! Although you will loose a bit of ground clearance with the extra weight on top, not much...just a bit.

On a side note, I have noticed the more cargo room I think I have the more luggage I seem to end up packing, and then the more cargo space I seem to want, even though I originally got the extra room to releave some of the crowding inside the car...Damn this vicious cycle!! Anyone else have had the same revelation??

Mike
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    = more weight = less milage. I shall see if ECB a supplier i work with sells replacement larger tanks for the subarus. I know they sell em for the troopers over there jumping them from 21gal to 36ish.

-mike
  • Options
    Thank you all who had responded with your oppinions when I asked about the metal grinding sound from my 98 a while ago. I don't remember if I said thank you already or not but one more time can't hurt :) I ended up changing the front and rear diffy fluids and the noise have, for the most part, gone away. (I am learning to take it easy on the peddle off the line) But now I am experiencing rough ideling...damn, just can't avoid this dealership service thing. Strangly enough, the dealer's service dept called me up recently to remind me to bring it in for service, even offered me a $20 discount (I know I know, its not alot), maybe its an omen or something...you think??

Anyways, I digress. Thank you all for your advice and diagnosises (is there such a word?)

Mike
  • Options
    rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    All: if there are some posts about this already, point me to them if possible. I've read about the last 200. We're going to be looking at the 2002 crv and 2002 forester after the first of the year. Wondering if anyone here has done that comparison and if so, what were the pros/cons and what vehicle did you decide to go with.
    We need something small enough for the wife to handle, big enough to carry our 2 75lb+ dogs. We want all the usual stuff, reliablility, convenience, price, quality, safety etc.
    I've already done some research at the car sites and am looking for real world experiences now.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Juice- Careful how much trust you place in the low fuel light. A couple of times my Forester has coughed on fumes only a few miles after the light came on. Upon fill up I discovered I only had about a gallon left and with that little in the tank, going up a moderate incline can be enough to starve the engine of gas. In any case, there's no way Goose14's Forester is going to come close to matching the fuel mileage of a diesel (my best tank has gotten me just over 400 miles).

Rick- I haven't done much research on the redesigned CRV but it's my understanding that it and the Forester are roughly comparable. However, the redesigned 03 Forester will be debuting in late spring and it may well raise the bar. Can you wait a few more months? If not, test drive them both and decide which you like best. Also keep in mind that 02 Foresters are selling close to invoice while 02 CRVs are still commanding MSRP.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    Frank -- We had the low fuel light come on only once (I always try not to reach that state) and I found that there was about 2 gallons left in the tank. Just out of curiosity -- was it the first time that the low fuel light came on ? I mean in my old car the warning light would come on and then fade away for sometime and then come on again later. Wonder if that happens in the Forester too ? However, the warning light in Forester IMO would be difficult to miss -- its such a bright yellow light.

Rick -- While we were car shopping our main choices were also between the CRV and Forester. With the 2001 CRV (the '02 hadn;t come till then) it was a no-brainer (Forester WAY above ). Withthe '02s the competition closed in. The new ones solved most of our complaints with the old CRV -- faster car, less noise, better steering wheel position, 6CD changer and moonroof with the EX etc. Moreover the spaciousness of the back seats and probably a little more cargo space made us seriously consider the CRV too. On top of that was the Honda reliability record, though offsetting that was a really short warranty coverage for a first year model. However, the Forester still was the zippier of the two, more sporty handling -- the Premium S came with a HUGE moonroof (which we keep showing off to everybody :)) AND (this is a consideration in upstate NY) heated seat, mirror, windshield wiper options. In addition, we did not really care for the interior decor and colors of the new CRVs.
    Our final decision was based on two other factors. Firstly, the Subaru dealer we have here is a really good one -- they have a no pressure no haggling fixed price which was pretty near to Edmund's TMV and carsdirect.com selling price. We have heard good things about their service dept too and finally they were giving us a good deal on our trade-in. The Honda dealerships were okay, but were acting real snooty on the price of the 02CRV and were giving us $2000 less on the trade-in. Secondly, all Honda options are dealer add-ons -- we needed a roof-rack cross bar, mud guards (both std in Forester), Security system etc. The dealers were charging absurd prices for these. All this made us go for the Forester. Though I should say that the dealer problem being equal the Forester would have probably still edged out the CRV in our choice.
    Hope you find this rather lengthy discourse useful ! As juice and others have mentioned many times on this and the CRV board -- you can hardly go wrong with either choice as far as the cars are concerned. HOwever, I would also wait for the new Forester to arrive (if you can wait that long) -- I am sure they will counter some of the CRV advantages -- main one being the back seat space.
  • Options
    Pal086- I know what you mean about the low fuel light coming and then fading on some models but it's been my experience that once the Forester's comes on, it pretty much stays on. Also, I'm one of those who likes to go as far as possible between fill-ups so I regularly wait till the light comes on. However, once it's lit, I try to fill-up within the next few miles (less than 20 for sure). The couple of times that I felt it sucking fumes were probably when I pushed it and went closer to 30 miles with the light on. Still, it's never taken more than 14.5 gal to top it off. So even though the tank may hold 15.9 gal, IMO the useable volume is closer to 14 gal.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    rictom- We recently compared the two cars. Fortunately we hit a day with snow and ice on the road. Here are my subjective observations:

The CRV was more comfortable, especially the back seat.

The CRV was roomier, especially the back seat.

The CRV rode softer, especially compared to the L. I think the Yoko's on the S ride softer than the Duelers on the L, so since the CRV uses Duelers too, the CRV must have a softer suspension.

The Foresters had sportier handling and acceleration on dry roads. More fun to drive, and waay more power around town. (Some of the power difference is due to the CRV having auto. and the Subies having 5 speed. But I was surprised at how weak the CRV felt since I'd heard how much they improved their power.)

Both Foresters had better AWD, the S has LSD in addition. The CRV had noticeable slipping on packed ice and snow when accelerating, the Foresters were rock solid. (I didn't drive an automatic Forester which uses a different system.)

The Subies had better visibility to the rear and sides (for backing and freeway lane changes.) I consider the CRV's combination of poor rear visibility with the spare tire mounted on the trunk an invitation to disaster. Picture backing over your neighbors toddler while backing out of your garage late for work. Or backing into a low post or wall sometime and caving in your trunk because the tire sticks out beyond the bumper.

The Forester has a better warrantee, but I've driven a Honda for 20 years so that was not a big issue for me.

For us, it was an easy choice. I wanted a fun car to drive to work. Combined with occasional trips over the mountains in winter, so I wanted the best AWD too. Also, I consider the spare tire and visisbility serious safety defects. If the CRV had the spare in the trunk and better visibility, I would have waited for a 5 speed to test before I decided.

The best thing to do is test drive them both the same day to see what suits you. I don't know how much room 2 75 pound dogs take, but it sounds like the Forester would be cramped unless you folded down the rear seat. I also don't understand your comment about small enough for your wife, most of the wives around here drive Suburbans and Expeditions. I thought women liked big trucks!

Good luck.

P.S. On the issue of pricing, the Subies were selling close to invoice, but I was also offered the Honda at 4% over invoice by one dealer, and $1000 over by the other. In any case the value of the vehicles depends on how closely they match your needs. For instance, to get ABS on the CRV I was forced to look at an EX which included an expensive moonroof which I didn't want, but did not include the roof rack, luggage cover or fog lights which I did want. Or the front mud guards, or 16" wheels. And limited slip is not even available with the Honda.
  • Options
    hamuller1hamuller1 Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that the last time I had my oil changed at a quicklube that the oil was above the high/low mark on the stick. Can this create a problem (having too much oil)? Also, do you need a new gasket with every oil change. I doubt the quicklube does this.
  • Options
    for your very helpful comments regarding the crv and forester. I definitely agree we can't lose no matter which one we pick. As for my wife's preference I think she likes driving larger vehicles, just doesn't like parking them, backing them up etc. :-)
    It does seem that the soob comes with more than the crv and I am starting to be concerned about the visibility of the crv. We will definitely pay attention to that.
    We'll probably have the back seat down more than up so room wise that'll be fine for the dogs.
    I'll be taking a close look at the options. I like the foglights, mudguards etc. Not too concerned about a moonroof.
    I also am hoping the 0% or low financing options may be around the next few months.
    They both sound good, it'll probably come down to which color blue we like the best! :-)
    Thanks, I will keep reading and let you know what we decide.
  • Options
    Frank P. thanks for your info re crv/forester also!
  • Options
    kittythedogkittythedog Member Posts: 5
    Well, I brought home my 2002 Forester last night. It's an S+ (I only spent the $$$ for the side air bags, necessary for my peace of mind after the accident). I loved my 1998, but they really have made a lot of improvements since then. Thank goodness they got rid of the computer with the constantly moving compass! That really annoyed me sometimes. And the upholstery looks better.

It has the biggest moonroof I have ever seen.

Why do they limit color choices for the S+ instead of the L? I really love that greenish gold color, but I only had 4 choices - white, red, black, or silver. What's up with that? (Actually I only had one choice, since I didn't want to wait 8 weeks for a special order.) Mine is Aspen White, which I guess is better than black when you live in TX.

Anyway, I'm happy with the car and I am happy to be a return Subaru customer.

Susannah
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Congrats on the new purchase! I read about your accident w/the 98'....glad you and yours are still here to tell about it and no doubt able to purchase the 01'as you did. :-) I have to say I'm a bit envious of your moonroof though. :-)
    Enjoy as I know you will.

Stephen
    02'WRX wagon
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Susannah!

Bob
  • Options
    Susannah -- congrats on the purchase !!

I was also vexed by the limited choice of colors for the Premium. Why do they do it ? They in fact advertise the monotone scheme on the Premium as a 'feature' -- I personally like the two tone scheme much better. I have a black -- but would hev preffered a green or even a black with the grey cladding.

anyway, we bought the premium both due to the side airbag safety and the moonroof -- you can get enough people jealous with it :)
  • Options
    oil overfill can be a problem if there is enough of it. generally if its a tad bit over the cold mark there shouldn't be any problems when the engine is hot. However, excess oil can leak out and onto hot engine parts, causing thick smoke to come out of the tail pipe. And I mean ALOT of smoke, had that happen to my old Nissan, wasn't a pretty picture, the driver behind me couldn't see a darn thing past his hood.

if you mean a new washer, then yes, to be conservative. I usually replace mine every other oil change, hasn't had problem (knock on wood).

Mike
  • Options
    secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    I had an XM satellite radio tuner installed in my Forester last Sunday. Pretty straightforward pluses and minuses for this thing....

MINUSES: The receiver/installation, etc. are EXPENSIVE! Fortunately I got Circuit City gift cards for my birthday, but it cost $249 for the Pioneer universal tuner (the XM-ready head units might have been a better choice, but then they wouldn't have worked with my factory in-dash CD changer), $79 (less $30 rebate) for the antenna, and $70 for installation. Startup is $15; $10 if you do it at their Web site.

Also, the Forester doesn't have much of a spot for the tuner mount, especially with the separate 6 CD changer. I had the tuner in front of the ashtray space, which is lower than the ideal, although still usable. The "guts" of the system were installed in the space that also contains the jack.

PLUSES: The service itself is AWESOME! It is really strong considering it is just out out of the blocks. I would say anyone (except maybe talk radio fans) will find at least one station that plays stuff they love but would never hear locally. The Comedy station (one of three) is impressive, but really raunchy, be forewarned if you have kids.....

Overall, I think this is a fully realized system, and I'm glad I got it. Once you get past the startup cost, it is well worth the money.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are there monthly fees associated with it or just the startup costs?

-mike
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I agree with maverick; a little oil overfill probably is not a big deal.
    But a lot of excess oil used to be considered a very bad thing (don't know if it still is). Something about forcing oil past seals, etc, where it weakened things, if I heard correctly.

I once took a new car to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change; the oil capacity was 3.5 qts. I mentioned that to the "highly-trained technician" after (my bad) the fill. He just said, "four cylinder, four quarts".

And I don't trust such places to have the proper new crush washer for the drain plug, or to even care about it.
  • Options
    secretariat73secretariat73 Member Posts: 47
    Yes, it costs $9.99 a month for XM (Sirus, the competition due out in February, will be $13/month but concentrate more on talk radio).

I don't find the monthly cost to be onerous because the quality is such that I probably will not buy a CD/month or so that I would've bought to play in the car. Heck, it might even be cheaper for me. The installer at Circuit City mentioned he hadn't used his car CD player at all since putting XM in his personal vehicle (and he told me this AFTER installation, so it wasn't a sales pitch).
  • Options
    about those quick change places. I used to always use Valvoline Instant Oil Change to do all my fluid maintenances on my Nissan. After I got the Forester I got the oil changed maybe twice at my usual location, then on the third time the techs there told me they stopped doing oil changes for Foresters...not all subarus, just the Forester, saying that the last forester oil change they did took them over an hour and a half, mostly trying to get the sump guard off. Anyways, long story short, I went to another location, same company, but about a mile and a half away and they gladly did the oil change AND had the correct size washer to replace the old one, all in ~15 minutes. Oh, and no over fill either, right on the mark.

If anyone is considering using a quick change place, I would say to shop around, and find a place that is competent. there's a lot of difference between companies, or even between seperate locations of the same chain.

All else fails, do it yourself, ~15-30 minutes and you can gurantee that the washer gets changed, plus no overfill :)

Mike
  • Options
    9sunset9sunset Member Posts: 23
    Got about 8500 miles on this 2001 model L auto, mixed highway and city returns 20mpg, I used to be able to get 24mpg from my 1997 Outback auto.
    Dealer said car is not break-in yet. Anybody know
    anything about this?
    Smell of Sulphur almost everytime when you finish
    a trip. What is the problem? Please advise!
  • Options
    wyoming2wyoming2 Member Posts: 4
    Folks: ...Don't know how much utility comments from "satisfied customers" has, but I feel compelled to sound off any-who. I purchased a 2001 Forester L last February, after listening to the comments on this board for some time. I was accused of buying it just because of the name (I'm a forester for a land management agency), but actually the raves from my father, who was a satisfied owner of an Outback Sport, had quite an effect on my purchase. My father came out for a visit not long after I bought my Forester and after driving it I could see the Outback was not long for this world. Within two months he had bought his own Forester! We both live in snow country, and in my Dad's case, (a veteran with some war injuries to cope with) the ease of entry afforded by the Forester was impressive. I am not ususally given to gushing about any product, but the Forester has to be about as close to perfection as any vehicle I've ever owned. Thinking about getting one ... go ahead!
  • Options
    mrbill808mrbill808 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, I need to know if anyone can tell me where to get a replacement part for cheap. I need the drivers side rear brake cover. Some little thug put a small hole in mine. The light still works and all but need to have it replaced. I need the bigger piece of the 2. The piece that wraps around to the side of the car. Any places you know that sells them??

Just to add to the CR-V conversation, I too test drove the new RAV, the 2001 CR-V and the 2001 Forester. IMO, RAV won the style award, but its short wheel base rocked backed and forth on roads that surprised me and the power was average. The CR-V won in size and roominess, but lack of power and extreme road noise coming thru the cabin was more than enough to make me not buy that. The salesman said I should just turn the radio up louder to cover the road noise. He was new to the game so I laughed, but never returned his calls.
    The Silverthorn Forester L won in the end, I could use a little more room on occasion, but hasnt been a drawback. The people who know me have all mentioned that they like it. It has the most power, is the most fun to drive. Mine has been averaging a solid 24 mpg in a mix of highway and street driving. Ive got about 8300 miles on it now.

There are too many models of cars to choose from nowadays and I suspect you will see some models go away. Anybody really think Toyota needs 5 SUVs after they stopped making the Camry wagon?

Thanks
    Bill
  • Options
    20mpg city/hwy driving is a tad low, but just a tad. remember the epa mpg numbers are just guidlines, not absolute. Plus if I am not mistaken the outback is also more aerodynamic than the forester. The break-in period could also be it, but with 8500 miles, I would think the engine should be broken in.

The sulphur smell is usually a protective underside coating burning off, it should go away after all the residue are burned off. Don't worry about the stuff burning off, factory puts it on to prevent moisture penetration and corrosion during shipping and storage.

Hope this helps
    Mike
  • Options
    9sunset- 20 mpg is certainly at the low end for typical mileage but not unheard of. Especially if you're predisposed to having a lead foot :-)

Re the sulfur smell... if it's been there since you got it, then I agree with Mike that it's just the undercoating burning off. However, if you just recently started noticing it, you probably have something wrong the emissions system and you should have your dealer check it out.

-Frank P.
  • Options
    cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    Susannah,

I just bought a Forester.

Are you a subscriber of "Drive" magazine?
    If so, are you interested in swapping
    L.L.Bean Certificate Offer? Each of us can
    get $300 L.L.Bean certificate...

Please let me know if you are interested...
  • Options
    Congrats to Susannah and the other new owners, welcome to the club!

Welcome to the Subaru new car stench, too. It goes away soon, hang in there. Nasty, ain't it?

MPG ought to improve after break-in. In my case after about a year/15k miles mine improved by about 2 mpg.

Let's see, CR-V or Forester. To me it seems like Honda benchmarked the Forester when they designed the new CR-V, so they are similar in many ways (power, torque, rain rails, etc). By your criteria:

small for the wife: Forester is not as long, tall, or wide as the CR-V, and has narrow pillars for a visibility edge for parking, but the difference is small.

reliability: the last CR-V was excellent, but Honda has dropped to average for new vehicles like the Civic and Odyssey. Forester is above average, but has a longer warranty. I'm inclined to think the Forester poses a smaller risk here, but the Honda could be more reliable.

Convenience: both have low cargo lift overs, but the Subie is easier to climb into. You can fold the rear seats without even removing the rear head rests, but you'll need to for those two big dogs. I've carried a Chow Chow, and she fit fine in the cargo area alone, but not 2. Honda added many nice touches, too. Both are great here.

Price: depends on what you want. If you want a low content FWD, Honda takes the cake. Subies are equipped more comprehensively, so you can't get one without ABS or AWD. It carries a price/content advantage when you factor the extra content and invoice pricing vs. Honda. Your call.

Quality: to be determined. I think both are above average. The Subie could use better carpets, headliner, and sun visor, but the Honda isn't really any better.

Safety: Forester is solid here. Better visibility, 4 channel ABS standard (vs. 3 channel optional), great IIHS crash test results. Honda ought to improve from their "Marginal" performance on the previous generation, we'll see. The exterior spare will still probably break the hatch glass if you get rear ended. Some say that's OK, I disagree. I don't want my toddler eating the little glass peices resulting from such a crash. Honda will likely improve, but I'd still give the nod to Subaru.

Honda has better passenger space, though, and is the new kid on the block. Content is better now, too. Subaru will counter punch next year with the 2003 Forester, so keep your eyes peeled.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.