Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• Options
    dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Folks, could someone please tell me what recalls the Forester has had, if any? Thanks!!

dhd
  • Options
    flavolvoflavolvo Member Posts: 8
    I live in central FL where snow & ice are obviously not an issue. However, I was wondering how the Forester AWD handles on rain-slick roads. We can get some strong summer thunderstorms with pounding rain. I would think the AWD would be a big plus in those conditions. Am I right?
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I live in Vancouver, BC and we also get a lot of rain problems. The Forester S is by far the best wet weather car I have driven in my 35+ year driving career. We don't get much snow here most years, wet driving was one of the major reasons for my purchase choice.

Ross
  • Options
    twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    Once again here I am defending RE 92s. My wife's '98 Impreza 2.5 RS has made it through deep snow on RE 92s. The handling of this car is fantastic. So is the WRX I own which has RE '92s. The RE 92s on my '94 Delsol went 45,000 miles. To me it is ridiculous to say these tires are dangerous. It's my word against Caperosier so believe who ever you wish bt I'm sticking with my story. BTW I got 48,000 trouble free miles out of the Bridgestone Duelers that were on my '98 Forester.

TWRX
  • Options
    that this was a troll free zone. Happy New Year everyone. ;~)

Ross
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Well, I don't own a Forester but I can offer these comments:

First, I rented a Forester last year while on a trip to Lake Tahoe. Got to drive it to Squaw Valley CA from Reno NV during a pretty good snow storm (10-12 inches in the Mountains). The car was great in the snow, and from that I would conclude that the tires were doing fine. I'm sure Blizzaks would be better, but the stock tires did fine.

My experience with RE92s on two Hondas was mixed. They were OK in snow and rain when new, but that deteriorated to "mediocre" when the tires had about 20K on them (they lasted past 60K). Living in coastal Virginia, it wasn't much of an issue for me 95% of the time, but I noticed it when I travelled into the mountains or drove up to New England during the winter (the other 5% of the time).

Craig
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    I live, and now work (just graduated), in Buffalo, NY. I have been in NYC with my family for the past week or so. So I missed most of the fluffy white stuff, but I'll be driving back to buffalo on the 2nd. From what I have been seeing on CNN, MSNBC, etc. its not going to be a pretty trip. Wish me luck...I'll need it. I'll let everyone know how the car handles after I get there.

Regarding the OEM Duelers...my personal experience has been that it can hold its own in the white stuff and the wet stuff as long as the car is driven reasonably in those conditions. Stopping in the white stuff, on the other hand leaves something to be desired. I have replaced mine with Dueler A/Ts...specifically for Buffalo Winters...I am about to find out how well they do in 3 days.

Damn...now I need to buy a snow shovel...and winterize my car...$$$...I have been putting it off for so long...

Mike
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Congratulations on your degree and good luck getting back to Buffalo! Maybe you should think about picking up a snow shovel in the NYC area before your trip back - I understand there's a shortage of them back home!

We're looking forward to your report on how your Forester handles it!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The Dueller ATs are great tires you shouldn't have any problems. I've had dueler ATs on my Trooper and previously on my Rodeo. At least you stepped up to the plate and bought replacements knowing your conditions are different than the average buyer.

As for OEM tires going more than 30K miles I'm impressed, normally OEMs last me about 30K miles tops and then it's time for new ones. Even replacements get replaced after 35-40K miles, just cause that is the lifeline between you and the road. Same goes for brake pads.

-mike
  • Options
    grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

I have been amused by the discussion over tyres. OEM tyres are fitted to provide the best mix of performance over the widest range of customers anticipated usage. That does not mean they will suit all users in all conditions but are the best fit over the range of customer's expected uses. If an individual has differing usage profiles or demands, it is their option to fit alternative tyres. If you live in a dramatically wetter, snowier or hotter area than the average customer, you should consider this problem carefully.

In Australia, Subarus are fitted with Geolandar tyres which have good high speed tarmac capabilities combined with an aggresive tread pattern and good mud and snow characteristics. Australia has a large range of wet and snow country and Subarus are very popular for users in the high country. (The day before yesterday, I was in rainforest at 9C with thick mud covering an unformed track.) However, we get a wider range of climatic conditions in the part of Australia where I live and the soft tyre can actually become too sticky on hot days.

Yesterday was a case in point with the air temperature over 35C (95F) and road temperature well over 50C. I was returning from holiday with a fully laden car, towing a boat over winding mountain roads with frequent well designed corners. At this temperature on a twisty mountain road, my tyres suddenly became very tacky, either through melting tar or heat loading from the intense driving. This causes increased, noticable drag on the car. Should I complain that the tyre is not performing adequately at the bounds of the performance envelope or modify my driving to suit?

When tyres wear, the tread depth decreases, reducing the ability of the tyre to shed water quickly in wet conditions. Prudent drivers recognize this and modify their driving accordingly. Is it intelligent to complain that tyres wear after extensive use? Is it reasonable to allege that the manufacturer should warn of the hazard of tyre wear?

Normally, I have swapped over tyres at 50,000km or 30,000miles, when they have about 2-3mm (less than 1/8th of an inch) of tread depth remaining. This is a fair usage for a tyre designed for mixed driving conditions, recognizing that the constuction of SUV tyres inevitably will be a compromise toward faster wear to ensure greater roadholding over the useful life of the tyre.

The cost of swapping tyres is minimal compared to the safety edge that good tread depth gives. In the event that you are using tyres with reduced tread depth, you should accept that this decision is yours, and yours alone. You bear the consequence. I hope that you do not damage someone's child or property through your decision.

In making the above points, I would reiterate the concerns of others posting to these pages. The discussions have, with few exceptions, been conducted politely and very civilly. The general absence of Trolls has been refreshing. Their occassional appearance has usually indicated an individual attempting some form of scam through bad mouthing a manufacturer (not just Subaru) in the hope of winning some "buy-off". The common characteristic of each Troll has been a vindictive lashing out at anyone who disagrees with their point of view. Posters to these pages are polite but can reasonably ask whether the next Troll who happens along is also attempting to work some scam.

I am no apologist for any manufacturer as all manufactured goods have room for improvements and defects do manifest themselves. It is possible however to become fixated on a non existent problem. Those hearing such a whinger are entirely justified in closing their ears.

Cheers

Graham
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Did anyone happen to see the article about a big motor vehicle accident that occurred in Pennsylvania on Friday? It said it involved "as many as a hundred vehicles", and "at least seven people were killed". In the Associated Press article that appeared in my local newspaper, there was a photo that showed a tractor trailer that destroyed a vehicle it crashed into the side of. The vehicle was unrecognizable, except for the right side wheels and partial front bumper with a large, squarish fog light, which appear to be from a pre-2001 Forester L. It was truly a scary sight, to see how badly that car was damaged. It's not likely that the occupants could have survived. It also appears as though the roof and doors had been cut off to gain access to the occupants trapped inside.

Len
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    To mix a metaphor, as always you are an eloquent light in a dark (rain) forest. Loved your story. Hope your new years is a good one and that the fires of Oz are brought under control.

Ross
  • Options
  • Options
    dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Folks, can I assume that the lack of response to my Recalls posting from 12/29 that there have been no recalls? I've been trying to find information, including here at Edmunds, but can't seem to dig anything up. Thanks for any and all help.

dhd
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I believe there has only been one recall, for 1998 models on the dual-stage brake booster. Mine was fixed even though it never experienced the problem, which was temporary failure at 50 degrees below the freezing mark (not very common).

Len: if a semi hits the side of a car, survival would pretty much take a miracle. Its size is dwarfed by a tractor trailer, as is its weight. In fact I doubt even a Suburban would hold up in a side impact against such a heavy vehicle.

-juice
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Len, That was a "small Subaru wagon" According to the local police, it was going too fast for conditions and may have been the cause. The driver died, but the passengers are in local hospitals. This may be a case when a car gives you a false sense of security. AWD and ABS only help common sense, they are not a replacement or license to act carelessly thinking you can always be in control.
  • Options
    leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Juice,

I wasn't trying to make it seem as though the Forester was at fault in the accident, I was only pointing out how scary it was to see the extent of the destruction on the vehicle, especially one that I drive every day. There certainly wasn't much left. You're right; even a Suburban would be demolished in a T-Bone accident with a semi.

Len
  • Options
    yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    My sister recently purchased a forester.
    She is very happy with the vehicle however, one thing that she is not so happy about....the MPG that she is getting.

She wonders what others are getting. She is getting about 20 on the road OR in town. Nothing seems to change. On long trips she drives the speed limit of 65 and she wondered if that is too fast for the MPG to inprove.

Please let me know so I can pass on the info. Thanks.
  • Options
    Well I am averaging about 19 in the city and a bit over 22 on highway, then again, I also have larger than standard tires so my mpg is probably a little understated. I drive a 98L AT drinking regular.

Mike
  • Options
    tidester: Thank you very much. I am sure glad that I am finally done. Thank you for the advise and the heads up on the shortage. I think I'll go out and buy one first thing tomorrow...I think I am going to be the first one in NYC this winter to buy a shovel...hahaha...

paisan: Thanks for the vote of confidence on the tires. The tech at Firestone/Bridgestone kind of told me the same thing when I bought the tires but its nice to hear confirmational info from an actual consumer.

Mike
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Gas milage is affected by a number of factors such as driving style, outside weather, tire pressure and manufacturing tolerances. Also, milage tends to improve over time as the engine breaks in.

I typically get 25~26 MPG on my 98 Forester (5-speed) with 90% highway driving. The worst I've ever had with mostly city driving was something like 22 MPG.

Ken
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    While we are on the topic of milage, what does everyone here consider "city" driving? For me that is lots of jackrabbit starts say 0-60-0 in a block or 2, bumper to bumper traffic for 1-2hrs at a time, a run to the store with about 10 traffic lights in 2 miles. For Highway I consider it 75mph cruise control from fill-up to fill-up.

-mike
  • Options
    lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    paisan: Your definition of "city driving" pretty much fits mine. Short trips where you stop and start the vehicle a lot count too. Highway driving may not be at a steady 75 mph, but at any steady mph for extended periods of time, whether with or without cruise control. In the part of the country where we live, traffic volume makes it pretty hard to use the cruise for extended periods of time, hence hard to get a "true" highway reading.

For the record, I have an '00 Forester w/AT, city:highway about 50:50, mileage averages 22 city, 27 highway. MPG should improve as the engine gets broken in, the rings seat properly and any minute machined metal pieces in the cylinder walls are worn away.

Ed
  • Options
    cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2002 Forester L with stock AM/FM/Cass
    player. I would like to add a CD player to the
    exisitng system. Any suggestions? Also, should
    I get it installed, or can I do it myself.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    HAs anyone purchased from this web-site: http://www.subaru-parts.com/

Are they reliable etc. Also, is the Rear Window Dust Deflector easy to install or does it require drilling etc ?

Forester Mileage: I have about 2300 miles on my Forester (S Premium) -- I got appx 25-26 mpg on two highway trips. Around city I was getting 21-22mpg initially -- but on my last fill it went down to 19mpg. Could it be due to the cold weather (its been below freezing regularly over the last week) ?

• Options
    speterson1speterson1 Member Posts: 228
    I'm sure the cold weather cuts down on the mileage. My 2001 Forester AT was getting a very consistent 24 mpg all fall with about 75% city driving, but the last two tanks have gone down along with the temperature here in Wisconsin (about 20 mpg). All the cars I've owned have gotten better mileage in warmer weather.
  • Options
    rgdunnrgdunn Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2002 Forester 5sp. I get 28-31 on Summer gas and 27-29 on Winter gas. About 10% less in the cold months. I use 85 octane gas here due to the altitude since 87 is a mid-grade. The car runs fine and is a blast to drive.
  • Options
    rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    Hate to ask but can't find definitive answer. On the 2002 Forester, do the rear seats fold down and forward (fold and tumble is what Honda calls it) so that the seats come to rest against the back of the front seats?
    I've only been able to find that the backs fold down on to the seat bottoms.
    Thanks
  • Options
    but they don't fold and tumble.

Bob
  • Options
    as the floor is quite flat following the "fold".

Ross
  • Options
    if they folded and tumbled, you'd have an uneven load floor.

Bob
  • Options
    mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Cyberpilot, go to Crutchfield. I installed a Sanyo sxcd-500 which is an AM-FM-Cassette single CD with changer controls. $269 with adapter plug. Fits where original was so you still have the storage box below for CD's.
    Pal086, many here, myself included have ordered from subaruparts.com. Their prices are good and if they have it in stock, they have shipped quickly for me. I have seen other posts where people have waited. Good Luck
  • Options
    pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    This may sound very much like a silly juvenile excitement -- but just saw the movie "In the Bedroom" (*ing Merrisa 'My cousin Vinny' Tomei after a long time). The protagonists were shown riding the Forester and even discussing it for a brief while.

Excitement is because is Subaru is rarely featured in movies -- you mostly get to see people driving Merc, BMW (if rich) or Ford, Chrysler, GMs etc. Occassionaly I have seen a Toyota or Honda.

Anyway, like I said -- it sounds very silly - but just wanted to share the trivia here.

Oh -- the movie was really great and A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
  • Options
    kcreaturekcreature Member Posts: 17
    I posted a question about tire replacements on the "tires, tires, tires" board, but was wondering what tires work well on Foresters specifically (I have an S, so it's 215/60/16). I don't need a long discussion, just a few suggestions.

Thanks,
    K
  • Options
    kevinbabbitkevinbabbit Member Posts: 2
    Anybody know what brand and type the factory upgraded speakers are for a 2002 Forester.
  • Options
    joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    I had the same interest as you - replacing the Forester S Yokos after being a bit underwhelmed by the winter handling last year. During the course of extended research this was my observation: Nothing available could match the Yokos in reviewed performances in dry, wet and emergency conditions (hence, if I were looking for the best 3-season tire, these are the ones I would switch to if I had not had them). In the end I decided to stick with them and bought a set of Michelin Artic Alpins on 15" rims that I will be using this winter. No other 4-season tire out there was able to persuade me from abandoning this solution.
    Joe
  • Options
    felch1felch1 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 Forester s
    I want to tow a uhaul enclosed trailer that weighs about 900 pounds and the cargo will be about 700 pounds.
    I wanted to know what the safe towing weight would be without having to add different brakes, and is having U Haul install the hitch, wiring etc. for $240.00 decent. Do they do a respectable job or is there a better place to bring it?
    Also, the rear brake bulbs on the 2002 are the 921 style bulb. I have been trying to buy a backup beeper bulb/combo which they make for the more common bulbs. This year forester and this bulb are not available in this type of bulb. Anyone know of a good backup beeper to use when your (car goes into reverse it beeps)?
    Thanks
    felch
  • Options
    ... states, without trailer brakes, towing is limited to 1000 pounds. This should(?) be in your owners manual. If you have trailer brakes, you can tow 2000 pounds.

Bob
  • Options
    My mileage has average 25.1mpg, usually better in spring and fall, average in summer, and lower in winter. Worst was 20.7 with lots of beach driving, best is 30.4 on a trip.

The OE CD player is about $250, so I'd go aftermarket.

A Forester was in a prominent scene in the movie "Bandits", and I think it was also in a scene in "Not Another Teen Movie", were some kids sneak out with their parents' car.

I had speaker pix, but photopoint is down. IIRC, the base speakers are cheap dual cones, with something like 10/20 watt handling. The premium sound ones are two-ways, with 20/30 watts, something like that.

Bottom line is they sound fine for a non-audiophile. Volume up to 25 is fine, before it started to distort at 22 or so, so they are better for sure.

-juice
  • Options
    danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    I have X-Ones on my 96 OBS which are working well. Comparing the 2 cars (I have a new 02 Forester), I would say X-Ones are equal or better in every way than the Yoko's and they should last 2 times longer. (I have them on my mini-van also.) I haven't had opportunity to try the Yoko's in heavy rain, but I'd expect the X-Ones to be much better there.

However if I had it to do over again (or if my Yoko's were older) I might try Dunlop SP Sport A2's, a high performance all-season tire that is reputed to do well in snow also. I say this because I think the tires are the weak link in the Forester handling and I would like crisper turn-in and better dry traction than the X-Ones or Yoko's provide. Zoom, zoom, zoom.
  • Options
    Joe,

I also came to a similar conclusion for my Forester S. The Geolandars are a good balance between price and performance for three seasons. I would, however, look at the Dunlop SP Sport A2s also if I were buying today. A friend of mine just got them for his Forester S and seems to like their performance in dry and wet conditions. He did comment that he didn't perceive a big difference in performance between the two.

Ken
  • Options
    scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    Karen and Joe-- I agree with Ken and Dan in that I'm also considering these tires. Ken's friend said that he didn't perceive a big difference between the Geolanders and the A2s in performance but my main consideration is snow performance. Supposedly, the Dunlops are better in the snow so it sounds like the ideal application all around. They are also H-speed rated where the X-Ones are S-rated. The question I have is, their web page has a warning not to mount them on 16 1/2 rims ...what's up with that? Aren't our rims 16.5?

http://www.dunloptire.com/products/tire.html?tire=d60_a2

--'rocco
  • Options
    16.5"??? Mine are 16".

Ross
  • Options
    I think they meant 16" x 6.5". The width is 6.5".

The L's wheels are 15"x6", but my Plus One set are 16"x7". :-)

-juice
  • Options
    danjaecksdanjaecks Member Posts: 54
    There actually are rims that are 16.5" in diameter. (All other rim diameters are in whole numbers of inches, i.e. 14, 15, 16, 17 etc. 16.5 is the only half size I've heard of.) I think they are used on light trucks or SUV's, and I suppose they are close enough to 16" rims that Dunlop felt compelled to warn people that the 16" tires won't fit on 16.5" rims. (Sounds obvious to me, but you know people.) Our rims are 16" (S) or 15" (L). The rim width is 6.5" on the S.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Member Posts: 19
    My '99 S had problems with it's clutch from day one. Shifts from 1st to 2nd were difficult to perform smoothly and it tended to "judder" when pulling away. These symptoms were particularly marked when cold and got progressively worse. The dealer replaced the clutch at about 10K miles and everything was fine again - for a while. The car now has 22K on the clock and has begun to show the same symptoms again.
    I have always driven a stick and have never had problems like this before. My previous vehicle was an '84 GL wagon - the clutch lasted over 130K miles. Even if I tried, I am not sure that I could wreck a clutch in 12K miles!
    I have seen, and contributed, to a number of faulty Forester clutch threads here before and wondered whether any of you had any experiences or advice that might help me in the battle I am anticipating with the dealer?
    The crazy thing is that I still love the car!
  • Options
    'rocco,

Looking at the tread pattern on the Dunlops, I wonder how much better they could be in snow. They appear to be more optimized for dry/wet handling than the Geolandars. There's less gap space as well as a tread pattern that runs perpendicular to the direction of motion. Unfortunately, most H-rated tires trade off snow traction for dry and wet performance. The only H-rated tire that I think would perform decently are the Nokian HRWs. They're pricey and hard to find, however.

Ken
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    If the clutch and flywheel are not properly aligned (along the centerline), you will have exactly this problem. It always takes a while to show up. My dad had this problem on a GMC pickup -- they replaced the clutch at about 6,000 miles, and he needed a new one about 5,000 miles later. Once they got everything aligned correctly, the truck was fine. He eventually replaced the clutch a third time at about 120,000 miles

Craig
  • Options
    cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    mckeown: How is the AM reception in Sanyo sxcd500? I've heard that AM reception in after market players are terrible...
This discussion has been closed.