Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Classic vs New

07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
I just bought an 07 silverado classic. I do realize they just came out with a 07 silverado (new body style). but when was the classic introduced? I am having problems finding bug shield rain guards etc. one site will show a classic and the next site wont, go figure.
thanks for any replies.

Comments

• rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The 2007' Classic is just a name of the last generation truck GMT-800 so it won't get confused with the new generation GMT-900's. ;)

Rocky
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    The GMT 800 series started production in 1999.
    For 07 that body style is called the "classic" series.

Bugsheilds and vent visors are made for your truck.
    To avoid confusion with the new 07 GMT-900 series
    just tell the parts guy or key in that your truck is
    a 06 full size GM pickup. Same truck anyhoo ...................
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Good advice geo9 ;)

Rocky
  • molly090406molly090406 Member Posts: 11
    I'm also confused over the "classic" and "regular" Silverado's.

Really, what is the difference? Body style, underpinnings, engines. If you go to the Chevy website...they don't tell you anything.

I own an '05 Chevy Silverado 1500. What category would that fit into? Classic or regular.

How confusing!!!
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    Let me try to clarify...GM only classifies a Silverado a "classic" body style during the transition year when a new bodystyle is introduced. It happened in 1999 when the last bodystyle was introduced. It happened again in 2007. Some of the 2007's were made in the 1999-2006 bodystyle and are named "Classics" to differentiate them from the new bodystyle 2007's.

As for the differences, the new 2007's (NOT the classics) are completely redesigned from the ground up. They have newly designed bodies, frames, drivetrains, interiors, everything!!! I would venture to guess that they do not share ANY components with the 1999-2006's.
  • molly090406molly090406 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the updated information. I only wish GM would write that in simple language - like you did - and publish it on their website, or any website for that fact.

Now..I'll have to compare the two in Edmunds.com and see what they have to say. Better yet, go to the dealer. Only problem is...they'll sink meathooks into me, convincing me I should trade my '05 Silverado (with only 11,000 miles) for a NEW '07. Forget it...I'll just go in for an oil change and look, saying I'm having service done on my '05.

Thank you again...
    You have a very nice truck (assuming it's been good to you), I would keep it.
  • 07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
    it seems they made the silverado classic for 06 and 07. I would like to say that they are the same but I went to buy wheels for mine and was told that 06 uses a different wheel than an 07. Has to do with clearance of the brake parts etc. But thanks for the information from others it was helpful.
    it seems they made the silverado classic for 06 and 07. I would like to say that they are the same but I went to buy wheels for mine and was told that 06 uses a different wheel than an 07. Has to do with clearance of the brake parts etc.

The 2006 and the 2007 "Classic" are identical trucks. I believe whoever told you that assumed you were talking about the 2007 New body style.

Also, they do not call the 2006's "Classics" because all of the trucks built for 2006 were the same body style.
  • dfd3000dfd3000 Member Posts: 1
    The 2006 and the 2007 "Classic" are not identical trucks. Try to put an 06 oil filter on an 07. It will not fit. I've been told that they have many differences.
  • 07classic07classic Member Posts: 8
    Well first I would have to ask what engine are you referring to and then also if one was 2 or 4 wheel drive. a 2006 with 4.3 liter uses the same oil filter as a 2007. But that is for 2 wheel drive with 4.3Liter engine.
    I do know that most 2 wheel drive with v8 use a different filter than a 4 wheel drive with v8 due to space constrictions.
  • jmkrobotjmkrobot Member Posts: 6
    These trucks are definitely NOT the same. My 2001 HD has a length of 237.2 in. The new 2007 HD is 239.7; nearly 2 1/2 inches longer. I know, most would not care about this fact... and that's fine.

Except now I will no longer be able to park my $50K truck in my Garage. ARG!!!!
  • jim8606jim8606 Member Posts: 4
    New to posting so bear with me. My father is trying to buy a new silverado. He was going to buy a new 3500HD single axle(does not like duallys). He thought that the axle and tranny were heavier in the older models(classic) over the 2500. But in the HD (new models) all the info that chevy has out looks as if comparably equipped 2500HD and 3500HD are the same truck with the exception of the suspension. Dealerships (2) seemed to be guessing. Called Chevy help line (no help) . Can anyone tell me the differences aside from the rating (and the #on the side of the truck)?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Didn't think so but I could be wrong. Last I heard the 2500HD is actually a 3500 SRW
  • jim8606jim8606 Member Posts: 4
    under the 3500HD there is a single rear wheel or dual rear wheel
  • baldmantruckinbaldmantruckin Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I am new to this forum, so if I have overlooked the answer to this question....sorry! I just bought a 2007 Chevy 4WD Crewcab LT. When I go on different websites to look up accessories for this truck, it ask if it is the " Classic or New body style". Ok...you guessed it!! What determines what body style I have....what am I looking for? Thanks for your help.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Classic looks like this:

NBS looks like this:
    Thanks obyone!! That's what I needed.....mine is the New body style...and it is red. I wasn't sure if I was going to like the red...almost past up a good deal. I went back 2 days later and bought it, and glad I did. Thanks again!
    Hi,
    I bought a 2007 Silverado from a dealer,but didn't get a manual. They supposedly are going to get me one! I am due for an oil change....I got a "Change engine oil soon" warning on the dash and was wondering how to reset this when I get the oil changed. The service department at the dealer told me they would reset it if I bring it in for an oil change......at $48 !! Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
  • lwittorflwittorf Member Posts: 96
    Change the oil your self turn the key to on don't start engine put the gas pedal clear to floor 3 times fairly quick like 1-2-3 reading on your dash should say something like oil change warning reset turn off key your done. Even if you use syn oil you should be able to do it for 30.00 about.
    Thanks for the info....It's a good idea that GM has about reminding you it's time to change your oil, but some people will pay the $48 dollars for an oil change thinking they have to have the dealer reset the "oil change soon" message! Now to get myself a manual!!

Thanks again
  • getnrdone1getnrdone1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 silverado with the 4.8L v8 and 4 speed auto trans. When I manually shift the trans into 1st gear isn't it supposed to stay in first gear? At about 3400 rmp the trans will shift to 2nd even though i have the shifter at 1st. Also, if you put the shifter into 2nd and start from a dead stop isnt it supposed to start in first and then shift to 2nd? As it is right not it will not start in 1st, it starts in 2nd which is slow to say the least. I took it to the dealer and they said that is how it is supposed to work but im not accepting that. I have owned 2 silverados before this one and never had that happen. Is this something new in the newer trucks or am i the only one with this problem?
  • ejnicholejnichol Member Posts: 6
    What does the owners manual say. I have seen autos up shift after certain max rpm even set in 1st. I'll try my '06 later and see what it does.
  • ejnicholejnichol Member Posts: 6
    I tried it in my '06 and it does the same thing.Its programmed that way.
  • 04cad04cad Member Posts: 131
    My daughter just purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic without power door locks or power windows. We priced having them added at a local specialty shop and wondered if it would be cheaper to try and buy the door panels with the motors and switches from a salvage yard instead of the kit to upgrade to the power? The question is,,,,, does this pickup have the wiring harness for the power windows and door locks stubbed off in the door behind the panels or not? Anyone know if the wiring harness is there with the plug end? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • southrncomfortsouthrncomfort Member Posts: 1
    I'm attempting to get my short father running boards for his birthday so he doesn't brake his 60 year old neck. He has a 2007 Silverado Extended Cab, Classic or New body style- have no clue. I've seen the answer to the question about the difference, it just won't show the pix. I don't really care what the difference is unless I need to for the running boards. *Does it make a difference? *If it does, how can I tell?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    edited July 2011
    The 2007 "Classic" is the same as the 2006 with the side-by-side headlights over the equally wide turn signals/running lights. The 2007 "New" is the same as the 2008-2011 models with the stacked headlights.

Depending on which boards you are considering, it can make a difference. Once you determine which version he has, shop for the 2006 or 2008 as appropriate.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • 3oh7guy3oh7guy Member Posts: 2
    So I'm confused will aftermarket parts such as grilles and or headlights that come pictured in NBS fit on the classic style? Or does it have to specify that it's made for the classic model? All they ever say is "2007 Chevy silverado"
  • dannyboy1964dannyboy1964 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone ever converted the rear window to an operable window in a rear door of 07 classic gm ext cab