Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Saturn VUE

Comments

• Options
    vuefor2vuefor2 Member Posts: 490
    The Equinox looks very nice also. I wonder how it will compare to the Vue in terms of HP and price. As I understand it the Vue gets a 3.5L Honda engine next year which should give it a lot more power than the Equinox.

I like the hybrid idea, but I fear the power will not be enough. I think the 143 hp now in the base is about as low as you can go with an SUV.
  • Options
    jptashjptash Member Posts: 1
    Took our new VUE on a trip during the holidays and found a vibration at 55-60 with the c.c. on; thought it was a wheel balancing problem but discovered it only happened at this speed whenever the VUE was lugging up ANY kind of incline.
    No vibration on level highways!!!
    Dealer said there was some sort of notice about replacing defective engine mount; he placed order but we're still waiting for him to call 10 days later.
    Happen to anyone else?
  • Options
    jchamborsjchambors Member Posts: 4
    I have had my AWD4 for only a month now but I noticed the exact same thing. I did not have the cruise on but I was going around 55 to 60 mph up an incline when I felt it. It never happens on level surfaces and not even on all hills. Let us know what you find out. I will inquire at my dealer also.
  • Options
    We have an AWD V6 Vue and have never had any vibrating at all. The tires are different on the 4 cylinder models though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

On Thursday we picked up a 2003 Ion so we are an all Saturn family now. Our Civic is going to my younger brother. So far we love it, great little car.
  • Options
    raine4llhraine4llh Member Posts: 14
    Hey everyone, I will be picking up my Vue sometime this week, it is schedule to be built today and I guess it will only take a few days to get here. Anyway, I was wondering if I had to order my own tags or will Saturn do it for me the day I pick up my car? I live in Florida and I want the "Save the Dolphins" license plate and I wasn't sure if I had to order that myself?

Also wanted to ask how long does it normally take to sign the paperwork. I have already been approved, they did that when I ordered the car, so they should not have to do that again, right? No matter what day it comes I will be seriously pressed for time so I wanted to be prepared.

One last question, does any one have any advice for me before I got in there and sign the paperwork?

By the way I am getting an Orange Vue FWD V6 with a few upgrades. :-)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Your dealer should know the routine - you'll probably just need to fill out this form and pay the fees.

There's a checklist linked in this post that may give you some things to think about:

billg7 "Honda Odyssey" Feb 8, 2001 7:27pm.

Enjoy the new ride!

Steve, Host

• Options
    mmspealmmspeal Member Posts: 122
    Don't forget you are buying a Saturn ... make sure you leave some time for them to sing you the song and all the fuss.

I went on my lunch hour thinking I would be in and out quickly but was there for about an hour by the time I signed the papers etc. I ordered mine too so although I was approved and had done a bunch of paperwork, there was still stuff to sign as the original paperwork didn't have the proper VIN number, etc. yet.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    When ever I have bought a car, I am out the door with the car in 45 minutes max. Sign the papers, switch the plates / registration and out ya go. I hate sitting at dealerships which is why I always buy via the internet or on the phone.
  • Options
    dwabiddwabid Member Posts: 36
    During a long drive a CD started to fade in and out, very much like a CD would if it has scratches or dust on it. When I tried to remove the CD the changer made its usual grunts and groans, but did not eject the CD. After another attempt it grunted and groaned but then flashed " ERR " on the radio display. It kept making noises, as if the it was changing CDs for 15 minutes even after I turned the radio off.

I tried turning the engine off. No dice. It seemd to repair itself after about a half hour.

My brother, who was riding with me, was convinced because it was so cold outside ( 0 F ), it was condensation in the player. Being his younger brother, I am required not to believe him. Anyone experience this before?
  • Options
    My advise to you is when you make your appointment to pick up the car make sure you let the business manager (or who ever will be completing the paper work) know exactly what you want to do. Title, insurance, extended warranty etc before you arrive. That is what I did and it could not have been any smoother. I also told them to dispense with the happy slappy Saturn team cheer, picture taking nonsense. I was in and out within a half an hour. My wife exclaimed that that was the nicest car buying experience she had ever gone through...too bad she has her heart set on a VW New Beetle TDI turbo (another car..another chat...).

Took the VUE up to the Wisconsin north woods. So far the AWD 6 performed flawless on the gravel roads and ice. Also did not experience any engine vibration as mentioned in earlier statements.
  • Options
    I haven't had any issues with the 6 disc changer in my VUE. The weather around the Toronto area has been very strange this year 7 degrees celcius one day and down to minus 10 the next so if there were going to be condensation problems, I'm sure I'd have them.

I wouldn't expect that turning the radio off would fix that issue as I've always found it odd that I can change CD's with the vehicle off. My 13 year old son likes that feature cause he switches my cd's when I am not around.

Please let us know if you find out what it is.
  • Options
    dbwordgirldbwordgirl Member Posts: 18
    I've been enjoying the heck out of my VUE (put 900 miles on it in two weeks!) and I have to say the advice I got here made all the difference.

I did take it out in a serious rainstorm New Year's Eve and it handled great, even without the AWD/ABS. So I'm not sorry about that decision, either.

One funny thing that's happened: My eight-year-old nephew is completely entranced with the rear cargo container. He keeps dragging people back so he can lift it up, snap the dividers in place and show off the bag hooks.

I did (am) having some post-purchase tension with the dealership, which makes me a bit sad. :( But nothing's ever perfect.
  • Options
    Steve, Host

Thanks for the checklist and the sheet to fill out for my personalized tags. I don't necessarily want anything personal on the tag I just want the "Save the Dolphin" tag, so do I still need to fill out that form?

Mmspeal, dindak, and steve host

Well, I'm a little concerned about my tag and registration situation. Because I'm going to "sell" my car to my boyfriend who is going to donate it, and I'm going to surrender my current tag to DMV, which is already expired. So I'm not quite sure how to handle getting my new tags for my new car.

dwabid

I never heard of this "Saturn team cheer" but I would actually like to see that.
  • Options
    There's probably yet another form for just the Dolphin plate but I didn't bump into it nosing around the Florida DMV site. Make your dealer figure it out; they're likely charging you a "doc" fee, so make 'em earn it :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    When I park my Vue, I've noticed that a few times after I get out, there has been a fairly loud pinging noise that seems to be coming from under the vehicle. It's the kind of sound metal makes when contracting or expanding. Has anyone else heard this, is it normal or should I have it looked at?

(I am also going to ask them to re-aim the headlights. I've had three or four instances of people flashing their brights at me when mine were on low-beam.)
  • Options
    markopolomarkopolo Member Posts: 27
    I just took my Vue four cylinder sport package in to have the defective window sprayers replaced. I noticed, after reading some other postings, the front bug shield is starting to come unglued from the hood. I guess this will be another common problem. There is only one thing I do not like so far about Saturn service. They do not check the bulletins and see if the vehicle needs the repair. They wait until you have a problem, then will repair it.
  • Options
    that carries the service updates where they can be read by all us little people?
  • Options
    For TSB summaries try:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

alldata.com

www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Someone said that the NHTSA may have full text now? Otherwise you have to ask the dealer for the whole TSB or buy it from Alldata.

Steve, Host

• Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    On a summer 02 trip to NJ in my 02 Golf TDI 5 speed, I averaged 48 mpg going 70 mph w/air, 3 adults, and hatch filled with luggage!
  • Options
    My front bug guard has now been fixed once and replaced twice - dealership tells me I am the only one with the problem which I don't believe.

The one they just put on seems to be sitting a bit higher up (I can see more of it from the drivers seat) so lets see if maybe this makes a difference. I do believe that where they are placed makes a diff with how much wind gets under them or behind them. I am just glad I had it put on before I took delivery cause that means they will keep fixing it or repairing it for 3 years.

The loud pinging noise had me very nervous when I first got my VUE. They all do it - apparently it is just the stainless exaust cooling and contracting. Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Both of our cars do it, especially after long trips. Nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    mburns8888mburns8888 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my FWD 6, Bright Blue Vue for 11 days, and it is everything I want in a new vehicle. It does have one little problem, though. The fuel gauge is reading low. Only 3/4 full when the tank is really full. Also the needle wanders a bit. When I called the dealer service manager, he says the sending unit is failing and they must replace it, but they have fixed several already, and the problem can recur. He has talked to the factory and they are working on a permanent fix. Does anyone else have this problem, or any news on the permanent fix?
  • Options
    tominskytominsky Member Posts: 3
    Here is the complaint letter I sent to Saturn Canada. I'll tell you what happened after.

Complaint about Saturn VUE purchased on December 31 and the $1,000 rebate program.
    Vehicle number 5GZCZ33D83Sxxxxxx

My wife and I decided on looking at the 2003 VUE on Monday, December 30, 2002. I had some GM points that I wanted to use and knew that Saturn was offering a $1,000 rebate. I have always owned Japanese vehicles in the past but was always drawn to Saturn and wanted to take advantage of my points and the rebate. The Sales Consultant, was very helpful in helping us choose and find a vehicle that we liked. She sat with us from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The VUE that we found was located in Sherbrooke and we were told that it would be ready to be picked up the day after on the 31st of December.

We picked it up on the 31st of December, drove it 13 kilometers to our home, parked it in the driveway and could not drive it out. The transmission just failed and the vehicle would not move. The dealer was closed January 1st and 2nd, 2003. The car was towed back to the dealer on Friday, January 3rd, 2003 and we were told on Monday, January 6th, 2003 that there was a problem with the transmission but they were not sure what the problem was without further tests.

Here is my problem. I decided to return the vehicle and demanded that the dealer exchange it for a new one. I would not have done this if it were not for the serious transmission problem that was obviously overlooked before delivery. The dealer informed me that by doing this, it would cost me another $500 because the $1,000 rebate ended on December 31st, 2002 and now Saturn was only offering a $500 rebate. Not only that, I would lose the 30-day guarantee on the new vehicle. I understand that you have rules and policies but this is an unusual and exceptional case. These were two important reasons why I decided to purchase a Saturn and now I was losing both of them. It was not my fault that you delivered me a defective vehicle. I had it for a total of 20 minutes (13 kilometers) and then it died. Something is definitely not right. Even if I decided to have the vehicle repaired, I would lose out on the 30 day guarantee because the vehicle would be in the shop for most of the 30 days. I don't feel I am asking for too much. I am not asking for a refund but I want to exchange the vehicle for another VUE but I think it is only fair that I get that extra $500 back and also have the 30-day guarantee apply to the new vehicle. I did not even have 30 minutes with it, let alone 30 days. I expect an answer to this as soon as possible and I do hope that Saturn lives up to its #1 in customer satisfaction reputation.

Please have a Saturn representative contact me about this matter.

I finally got my 2nd VUE on Jan. 10/03(same as the first, FWD 4 Cyl) but I added the ABS/Traction control. So far so good and after a bit of complaining I got my $1000 rebate. I'll find out what happened with the other transmission from the dealer and I'll post it.
  • Options
    Was is a 5-speed manual or a CVT transmission?

Sounds like Saturn took care of you, good to hear.
  • Options
    dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Folks, Please keep updating us on the 4cyl Vti models, I find that new transmission interesting. We're all wondering about how they will hold up.

DD
  • Options
    tominskytominsky Member Posts: 3
    It's the CVT transmission. Is it true there is a recall on it? Saw that posted at saturnfans.com. I hope I don't regret my purchase! So far it's good and fun to drive. I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    gehegehe Member Posts: 78
    (tominsky)
    -Sorry about your problem. My advise. Get a full refund and walk away. Don't get into a big 'thing' with the dealership. Keep cool. Follow their rules. You are entitled to a full refund.
    -You will be left with a bad taste if you get this one fixed and you will be forever nervous. Walk away and 'chill' for a few months and watch the the rebate offers. Things are not great for any of the auto makers so expect more incentives come the Spring.
    (mburn8888)... fuel gauge ...
    -Congrats on your Blue VUE. (Just understand that I got the ORIGINAL Blue ... as I keep telling everyone !!!)
    -My gauge was like that from the start, reading just under full. Then it sudden failed for a few days and started working again.
    -I zero the milometer and keep a strict record for business tax reasons. I would advise you to ...
    1) Zero it @ every fill up and remember what you get on an average tank mileage wise incase it fails. (I can do 250 Miles without sweating).
    2) Wait for Saturn to totally get a fix together. They will eventually and it's better a one time fix than going in time and again. It is a machine after all.
    ... don't sweat the small stuff ...
    Later...
  • Options
    Well, I just spoke to my salesman and my Vue should be here by Monday (20th). I am getting a sunroof as one of my acessories and he suggested the sunroof air deflector, but I'm not sure if I need it. Just wanted to see if any of you guys have a sunroof and what your opinion is?
  • Options
    Have the sun roof, but its been about 10 degrees every day here for the last week. Can't say I used it unless I am in the the garage ;-) . I am sold on sun roofs though. I Had one on my previous Saturn (93 SL2) couldn't live without it in the summer. I held off on the sun roof deflector...don't like the looks.

The AWD 6 is now three weeks old and I now have close to 1,500 miles on it. Yikes! Runs like a top!!! Very happy.
  • Options
    garrettda2garrettda2 Member Posts: 16
    I returned my 2003 V-6 FWD VUE yesterday morning because of a wind noise problem that could not be resolved. The return procedure was relatively simple and the sales manager was polite and helpful. I spent the rest of the day trying out other cars in this class (mini-SUVs). I drove several including the Ford Escape (way noisier) and the Toyota RAV4 (underpowered and noisier). None of the vehicles I looked at had all the features I liked on the VUE and the ones I drove were as noisy or noisier than the VUE. I was even considering going to a larger SUV and tried the Dodge Durango and Ford Explorer. They were about the same as the VUE (sound wise) plus being more expensive and having terrible gas mileage ratings. After much soul searching and discussions with my wife I decided to call the dealer and ask for my VUE back. He was happy to tear up the return paperwork and I am glad to have my VUE back.
  • Options
    gehegehe Member Posts: 78
    (garretlda2) Wow ! You must be some guy/gal ! I am so impressed that you went back on the VUE. I would have been too prideful & stubborn to have done that so this is awesome !!
    -I don't think that you will regret it. I have noticed wind noise on my V6 on very rare occasions. Some days are windier than other. I sometimes thought it was the roof rack after I had moved the first rod back a notch from where the dealership had positioned it. I also noticed it more when the sunroof cover was slid back.
    -Do also read my message ... a few pages back ... about the fold-out mirrors. The only time I noticed wind noise that was really irritating was when the rub-down guys at the auto car wash didn't fold back the mirrors completely. May be the dealership didn't do the same after the delivery wash ??? Who knows ???
    -Lots of luck.
    Later ...
  • Options
    purduealum91purduealum91 Member Posts: 285
    Did you try the Subaru Forester? Honda CRV? Jeep Liberty?
  • Options
    PURDUEALUM91 - FYI, Yes I did try the Forester and the Honda CRV but not the Jeep Liberty.

GEHE - I am not so young these days and I have learned it is wise to admit when you make a mistake. Thanks for the post.

Does anyone have the Advanced Audio System installed? The book says it has 6 speakers and a sub woofer. I can see where the 6 speakers would be but want to know where the woofer would go. I am thinking of adding that to my VUE. I would also like to switch the radio to the 6-disc AM/FM. I drove a loaner with that Advanced Audio System and it was terrific. Any ideas?????
  • Options
    plasticmanplasticman Member Posts: 1
    Have 2002 VUE AWD V6. Started getting into cold weather here. Front-end noises while backing straight out of garage and sometimes while driving on roadway. Not a constant noise, not just while turning. Sounds like when struts go bad---thinking noise/grinding noise ---you'd think car had 200,000 miles and was never greased but car has 4000 miles.

Anyone heard of such or a TSB on this? Bringing into dealer but noises seem to have way of disappearing when car is at dealer's shop.
  • Options
    Hey guys, just picked up my 2003 Orange Vue FWD V6, I was so happy I cried. Her name is Sunkist (after the orange drink). I just wanted to thank you guys for answering my questions it really helped me out a lot.

Talk to ya guys soon, I'm sure. Because I really probably still have questions.
  • Options
    amackenzieamackenzie Member Posts: 5
    Does any one have any experience with a VUE FWD auto with ABS/Traction Control? My wife and I were wondering if they work well in the snow we get here on Prince Edward Island.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Raine, good luck on your orange VUE. I saw one at the dealer when I was picking mine (both times Ha Ha). That is a very interesting color - neat. Hope you have many happy miles. Whaqt options did you get? I got mine with asoluetly no options. I didn't need all that fancy stuff at my age. Chhers.
  • Options
    Thanks. I got a sunroof, cargo cover, alloy wheels, side airbags, and of course floor mats, althought now I'm regreting not getting the rubber mats but that's ok.
  • Options
    rocketbobrocketbob Member Posts: 23
    Traction control only comes with the 4 cylinder FWD. I have a 6 cylinder fwd with ABS only. I find
    Vue goes through snow ok. However, if there is ice
    under the snow, I get alot of wheelspin. Also the car drifts on icy curves and fishtails a bit with moderate acceleration on icy sufaces.The
    car is heavy enough to cope with this.

I wanted the 6 Vue without AWD so I can
    live with it. Other wise I am pleased with the Vue.
  • Options
    A FWD VUE will run ok in the snow, much like any minivan will. AWD is nice, but if you are driving city streets (like most SUV owners), I doubt you will have any problems. You will save your self some money going FWD for sure.
  • Options
    shultzieshultzie Member Posts: 10
    Lately here it's been about 10-18 degrees in the mornings and I have noticed a
    grinding/tin rattling sound when I first begin to drive. It happens during accelaration but quickly disappears after a minute or two.
  • Options
    It's been cold and snowy the past few days and our Vue has been surprisingly silent in terms of creeks or rattles. The cold often causes these things so I was surprised. Good thing is, when it warms up they will be gone for those of you that have some.
  • Options
    annietanniet Member Posts: 6
    Had my orange vue now for a couple weeks and everything is working just fine. So far have adusted to the smaller size - had an extended van - but am waiting for a cargo liner, purchased off ebay, before I put all the dogs in it.

Just an f.y.i. on the floor mats from garrettda2's remark. I purchased some heavy rubber ones from Sam's Club for 20. - took them to the dealership the night I picked up the car and they couldn't believe the cost for them. -

I have 6 speakers in my stereo system but I don't think I have a sub-woofer and don't know where they would put it. I do know that I have been used to listening to talk radio for the last several years and now with the cd and cassette player I find myself listening to music - it's a pleasant change!
  • Options
    Do yo know if you Sam's had the real big mats for the cargo area?
  • Options
    ethanosethanos Member Posts: 2
    I've been checking out the Vue at the dealership and looked at one with the extra Sound system and it looks like they put the Sub-woofer in the Milk Carton holder in the back... So you lose that space to put groceries...
  • Options
    annietanniet Member Posts: 6
    Didn't see any big mats at Sam's for the cargo
    area. I ended up buying the one from Saturn and
    then purchasing an extra off Ebay which will go up
    the sides. I know that Sam's does carry different merchandise in different stores - it may be worth a phone call.
  • Options
    I have been racking up the miles like a madwoman on my pretty silver critter, and am getting close to that magic 1,500 mile mark.

Along the way, a few concerns have cropped up. One in particular: My Vue seems to have ZERO power in reverse. I bought a new TV set tonight, so I backed into the driveway, which is on a slight (very slight, I live in Florida LOL) incline. It seemed as if I had to almost FLOOR it to get it up that tiny incline in reverse ...yet the tach didn't show a real significant spike in RPMs.

All the while I was having visions of shooting up the driveway, through the French doors and into my den where the TV set belongs. I'm sure it would improve the decor... but it was not a comforting feeling.

Since I usually back DOWN that incline in the mornings, I've noticed that it's sluggish even going down an incline. Is this a common problem w/ the VTI or does it sound like a Transmission Issue I should have the dealership check out?
  • Options
    Interesting.. let us know what the service department says.

What kind of TV did you get?
  • Options
    kozlokozlo Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up a Medium Green V6 with all of the trimmings this week. Pretty happy so far, but the windshield washer fluid is freezing up. I think they may have used some very diluted stuff when they filled up the reservoir. Sometimes it works, then freezes after a few minutes. You can actually see the ice on the nozzles. Any ideas, or should I just go back to the dealer and have them drain it and put the good stuff in?
  • Options
    Sounds like you are using summer washer fluid instead of the winter stuff.

I would drain that out, you could crack you washer fluid tank.