-June 2024 Special Lease Deals-

2024 Chevy Blazer EV lease from Bayway Auto Group Click here

2024 Jeep Grand Cherokee lease from Mark Dodge Click here

2025 Ram 1500 Factory Order Discounts from Mark Dodge Click here
Options

Help diagnosing Blown trans

chexkchexk Member Posts: 1
edited June 12 in Scion
Last night my 2007 Scion TC broke down, what happened was i was going 80mph or so down the freeway, then slowly but surely 5th gear started feeling like neutral, then 4th, then all of my gears became neutral. I also lost complete and total pressure in my clutch and it was even stuck to the floorboard momentarily? Fast forward to an hour ago, and i was able to start my car because my clutch had all of its pressure back again? And when i started the car i was able to put it into first gear and move it about 30 feet forward in my driveway before it eventually turned back to feeling like neutral. Few days prior and leading up to the event i smelled a bad burning smell but i assumed that was my "incorrectly installed valve head cover gasket" leaking oil and i was smelling a burning smell from that, looking back on it that "burnt popcorn" smell was obviously my clutch and my clutch was obviously slipping for days before this happened.

Some extra information, I'm pretty sure my transmission fluid is 40,000+ miles overdue for a change. extra info but when i turn my car on, i need to hold the clutch to shift into any gear and the gears feel somewhat fine, i don't feel like there's a problem with the gears. and of course when the car is off it can shift into any gear. Also turned the car on, held the clutch for 15 seconds then tried to shift into a gear & it worked perfectly fine.

I'm looking to fix this problem myself and i have no where else to turn to for help in diagnosing the issue, I'll provide any and all videos/pictures/information to whoever can help ):

update: slave & master cylinder show no signs of leaks. however my brake fluid reservoir (clutch & brake fluid share the same reservoir) is at the "minimum" level, so i plan on filling it up tmr and checking for a leak.

Information -
2007 Toyota Scion TC
187000 miles
2AZ-FE 2.4l Engine
5 Speed manual transmission

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,768
    That doesn't sound like a failed transmission, that reads like a bad clutch. If you were having a problem with the clutch master cylinder and/or slave cylinder and had a pedal that just goes to the floor, you also would not be able to shift into first gear with the engine running because you wouldn't be able to disengage the input shaft of the transmission from the engine. The description you gave of the pedal sticking to the floor "momentarily" could be caused by high temperatures of the pressure plate and throw-out bearing from the clutch slipping as it failed.