Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota 4Runner

Comments

• Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Sport without the moonroof and the hood scoop? The moonroof eats headroom space, and I'm pretty tall (will sue my parents)

Or, as an alternative, is it possible to get an SR5 with XREAS and 17-inch wheels?

Thank you!
  • Options
    hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    The 2003 4x2 is rated to tow maximum of 5000lb What's the maximum load you have tried to tow? Will you actually try to tow something close to 5000lb? Thanks.
  • Options
    khaugkhaug Member Posts: 64
    I tow a car on a trailer on a regular basis, and have c. 2500 miles towing this combination with my '03 V8 4WD 'Runner. The truck handles the trailer easily, and I'd have no concern at all about going to a 5,000 lb load with it. I towed the same combination some 25K miles with my '98 4Runner, which was much less capable than my '03.

The most recently built '03 4Runners come with a different (Class 5) hitch, and the 4x2 is rated to tow 7200 lbs.

All this, of course, assumes you have a trailer that's properly balanced, has working brakes and that you're using a sway control or equalizing hitch if the instructions in your owner's manual calls for it with your particular trailer.

-Karl
  • Options
    mjsornmjsorn Member Posts: 4
    This is minor compared to most posts but.....
    With back seats folded down and head rests removed does anyone have any ideas for storing them to prevent damage?

BTW-2003 limited v8 - SOLID and could not be more pleased!
  • Options
    pat84pat84 Member Posts: 817
    I take the separate cargo net (net #2) and hang it looped on the drivers side with 2 loops hooked on the top and 2 loops hooked on the bottom. I put the seat head rests in cargo net #2.
     It eats a little into your cargo area; and may not work if you are carrying something you don't want on the head rests. Hauling manure , for example, would not be compatible with putting them in the cargo compartment.
      I also keep an old shower curtain in my cargo area for things I don't want to soil my always folded, dual cargo shelf.
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The 04's are scheduled for September arrival, sorry no more specifics than that.

If your lease is through Toyota, they should let you extend up to 6 months, just call and ask. Not sure about other leasing companies.
  • Options
    olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    When the Toyota district manager & I took my LTD for a ride, we found what seems to be the problem. There's a steel rod (he called it a cable) that is centered in a channel (shaped like a "U" lying on its side) running along the right side of the moonroof (under the side of the glass panel.) This rod has enough slack in it to bang against the top and bottom of the channel when the vehicle goes over even the smallest bumps (I had the "fixes" done under the TSBs--they didn't work.)
  • Options
    jaredmsdjaredmsd Member Posts: 127
    You can get it without the moonroof (I have one), but not without the hood scoop. I'm pretty adamant against useless parts (the hoodscoop), but truthfully it doesn't bother me, and the complaints I've heard about excess wind noise, I have never experienced myself.
  • Options
    so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    please tell me what the district manager decided to do to fix this!
  • Options
    bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    The parts guy at my dealership made a major faux paux - had him look up air filter cross reference for a K&N air filter for my 03 V6 SR5 since they sell them at my local dealer parts dept - His system INCORRECTLY identified the Toyota part number as:

1780107020 ELEMENT S/A, AIR CLE 9511-0308 $15.61

Which cross referenced to a K&N P/N of 33-2054.
    However, after popping the hood, and unsnapping the cover, I found that the filter is a wedge shaped filter, while the above K&N is a rectangular filter.

A call to the other dealership in town revealed the CORRECT Toyota part number: 17801-31090 (for which there is currently no K&N or AFE or equivalent TRD part available...

From TRD:
    Unfortunately there are no plans on development of any parts for the new 4.0 liter V6. The engine is still too new. Please try back around September and see where we are at on development.
    -TRD Help

No word yet from AFE or K&N as to release dates of their products... "I should have had a V8!"
  • Options
    For those considering the aforementioned bulb upgrade to Sylvania Silver Stars -- I decided to see what type of bulb is in the factory fogs and a quick look in the owners manual shows they're the same as the vehicle's low beam 9006 bulbs. So if you want your fogs to be equal in intensity, pick up a 2nd pair of 9006 bulbs. I wish I would have looked this up BEFORE the $10 rebate offer on the bulbs expired! :(
  • Options
    grizbear1grizbear1 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Sir. The current lease is not with Toyota. It is with Key Bank on a 2000 Expedition. The lease expires Oct. 1, but I am willing to pull the trigger in Sept. I'd love to do it now, but I can't justify making payments on two vehicles when one is just sitting in the driveway.
  • Options
    gcfor8gcfor8 Member Posts: 4
    I want to replace my oil filter with the same
    type that came on it (Toyota 90915-20004).
    The dealer said its not in his computer.
    Anybody know where to purchase online?
    http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/

Thanks,
    Gary
    2003 SR5 V6
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    There are two cargo nets? I only got one with the double decker cargo package on my SR5. Is the second net some kind of extra option? Did they come in two packages or togehter in one? I'm trying to find out if I am missing one of the nets or if the two nets only come on a different trim level.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info, Jared!

Speaking of the scoop, doesn't the Sport use the same hood dimensions-wise as SR5 and Ltd? I am sure the dealer has plenty of hoods in the body shop, so he can just swipe the hoods, can't he?
  • Options
    There are, indeed, two different cargo nets, and our '03 Limited has both. The one that attaches to the useless shelf and lies flat was standard on the Limited. I've never used it.

The other one is V-shaped and fits laterally across the rear hatch opening. It came as part of a $261 Convenience Package (code C7 on my sticker), which included carpeted floor mats, a cargo mat and a first aid kit. I've found this net to be very convenient for holding objects like grocery bags. It's easily pushed aside or removed altogether if you need to carry something too big to fit into the net.

-Karl
  • Options
    I have the Sport with what sounds like the same options. I also got a remote control for rear seat selection of what to hear on the rear headphones. (I did not buy headphones)
     The first aid kit impressed me. I thought about getting them for Holiday presents.
  • Options
    rogers12rogers12 Member Posts: 140
    Sorry if this is obvious, but I am sure you can save some money by buying kits from a drug store, making sure it fits in the storage area.
  • Options
    azrunnerazrunner Member Posts: 16
    Yes...I got 2 nets. The one indeed lays flat on cargo shelf.

Useless upon useless.

Wait - I did use the flat one once to keep an Apple Cake from sliding around on my journey home!

The one across the back it very useful! Small bags or things that might spill if they were to roll around fit neatly and it is an excellent barrier that is easily removed.

Pat84 - I think I had the same impression regarding the first aid kit. I particularly like the way one can velcro stick the kit to just about anywhere in the vehicle! Good for the kids on a long haul :)
  • Options
    You can get one much cheaper (sans the Toyota logo) at drugstore.com. I got a hard cased one ($12) and put the velcro loops on the back so it'd stick to the carpeted seat back. It also fits under the seat, but that would block the heat vents that are under there.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=38696&catid=93- - - - - - 39&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=9339&trxp2=38696&trxp3=1- - - - - - &trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH

Or if you prefer the softcase it's the same price:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=38695&catid=93- - 39&trx=PLST-0-SRCH&trxp1=9339&trxp2=38695&trxp3=1- - &trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-SRCH
  • Options
    olrockerolrocker Member Posts: 16
    I'll be meeting with the field engineer next week. I'll post a report on the "fix", if there is one.
  • Options
    I took my net off the cargo shelf.
    Of course, a first aid kit with the Toyota emblem would cost more.
    I have a Canon camera and Canon lenses.. Same thing.
  • Options
    gsj3gsj3 Member Posts: 20
    Hello, 4runtexas, I'm curious, why doesn't Toyota just have a motor shipped to your dealer and have it replaced? Why do you need a new vehicle? A V6 swap is a piece of cake on these trucks. Also, someone else has asked you to describe this squeek in more detail, I would also like this as I am having a loud clacking noise from my new V6 while under load and would like to isolate them if possible, thanks and good luck with your vehicle, GSJ
  • Options
    Actually, that's a bad analogy. Canon lenses are better than generics. There you get what you pay for.

There is no difference between the Toyota kit and a RiteAid kit. Toyota doesn't make first aid kits. :)
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    4runtexas, there has been a debate going on over in the Edmunds "Jeep Grand Cherokee vs '03 Toyota 4Runner" thread comparing Reliability between these two vehicles. I have argued that although Toyota has been a more reliable vehicle overall in the past than the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Jeep has come a long way and has improved its rating dramatically. I believe that although the 4Runner is still a reliable vehicle, that the QC has slipped lately. Even though the '03 is an all-new model, there still seems to be way too many problems.

When I posted over in the "vs" forum mentioned above about the problem you are having with your engine, this is the reply I got from "BigOrange30":

"Engines are not just replaced because of a sound. The cause of the sound is fixed. Bottom line is that this story is incomplete. It sounds like an owner popping off because he has some beef with Toyota. There are 3 sides to every story, his side, their side and the truth which is somewhere in between."
  • Options
    Edmunds posted an old 2003 4Runner review AGAIN on the main page. What's up with that???
  • Options
    The August issue of CR contains a test of 6 mid-size SUVs. The test included a V6 4WD SR-5 4Runner.

While the 4Runner was only ranked third out of the six tested vehicles, CU was very complimentary, calling it the "best off-road-ready SUV in this price range". It was the quietest of the tested vehicles and had the shortest braking distance. Only two car-based SUVs were judged to be better performers, mainly because of crisper handling.

The '03 4Runner is ranked fifth overall among the 14 mid-sized SUVs CU has recently tested, and is the highest ranked body-on-frame vehicle of the group. It is one of only four of the 14 that CU recommends based on performance, safety and frequency of repair records. Not bad marks, I'd say!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I thought the third row issue was fixed... what now? Cladding reference wrong? Maybe someone got a pointer wrong somewhere. Can you be a bit more specific so we can tell editorial what the deal is - thanks!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    so_caliso_cali Member Posts: 65
    well regarding my moonroof rattle, new glass is now on backorder, so the unstated message is drive it like it is until we can make another attempt to make things right - such is life.

actually got to put a few miles on the new SR5 today that didn't involve driving back and forth to the service department. love how the headrest tilts forward uniquely from the bottom! even my salesman didn't know about this feature, cause i asked him why the headrests didn't tilt forward and he just said none of them do! and what's up with the moonroof wind guard? it seems to do something electrically (pop-up higher?) at a certain speed and then do it again when speeds diminish. the first time i heard it run its motor i was freaked a bit - are there a bunch of mice in a wheel up there someplace? which leads me to the thought of why do they just have to keep adding-on gimicky crap like this? electric wind deflector, the temperature controls that would have been much easier to decipher with just the tried and true blue to red round dials. the myriad of automatic door lock routines! what little mice in japan sit in a room and come up with this stuff? and look what's it's gotten them into with the moonroofs on the 2003. does the song "shake, rattle and roll" come to mind? sometimes car manufacturers can just get too cute for their britches imho.

driving south on I-5 this afternoon, parked on the shoulder an abandoned 2003 4Runner LTD...gulp...another quality control issue or someone that just ran out of gas? who knows?

i sure hope Toyota realizes they are blowing it with QC this year as far as the 4Runner is concerned. shame on you Toyota. get your act together cause you're quickly spoiling a well earned reputation.

am getting a set of stock chromed 16" SR5 six spokes soon. should look sweet on the "old rattle trap"...LOL

just passing the 120 mile mark on the odo! life is good. the new ride is bad - from a number of perspectives! : )
  • Options
    It seems that you are trying to invoke a fight, or just simply tattle-tale. Please be more mature in the future and we'll all appreciate it. No I don't support BigOrange's comment, but I'm sure if 4runnertexas wanted to get in on it, he'd be in the vs. discussion group getting in on it.

-Jared
  • Options
    And I guess that is why I refused to spend 2 grand on a feature I didn't want. Well worth the wait for a build ordered one.
  • Options
    chicamachicama Member Posts: 1
    I Just bought a 2000 4Runner Limited.
    2 questions: 1)is is normal for the 4wd gear shifter to vibrate at high speeds? (i.e. over 70mph) 2) Do your breaks vibrate when braking quickly from high speeds?
  • Options
    Many vehicles have problems with moonroofs. There are a lot of moving parts, electric motors and a hole in the roof - all in an area that is an inch or two thick. I also drive a BMW, and in their "high quality" cars, some owners have the moonroofs stop working completely, let alone complain of a rattle. I myself, like jaredmsd, don't like the things in the first place. Let's see...Mr. Dealer says give me an extra $1,200 to $1,500 and I'll give you something that rattles, leaks, lessens the rigidity of the vehcile, adds weight, adds noise, and lets the sun shine in your eyes while driving!

Regarding Consumer Reports (I've been a reader of theirs for 25 years), I'm surprised they rated the 4Runner as high as they did. They are notoriously anti-SUV, especially truck based ones. I like the magazine, but in their perfect world, they would have all American's driving Toyota Prius's (not that there is anything wrong with that).
  • Options
    My 2000 SR5 has a vibrating 4WD shifter at all speeds. I have heard this is normal and I have had no problems with function. I believe it is bolted directly to the transfer case, thus indirectly to the engine.

Your brakes may be vibrating from your disks or drums being slightly out of true (warped from heat). If so, you should notice this at lower speeds also, just less pronounced.

If you noticed this after having using the brakes previously, it might be that they are warped from uneven heating from the initial use. This would only be temporary and smooth out after they cool down.
  • Options
    chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    The shifter IS connected to the transfer case, thats how it works, if you ever pay attention, it moves alot when you take off as well. So does the gear shifter. I have a 2000 tacoma 4x4 v6 (same powertrain) Mine does the same thing.

The brake issue,however is a little different, Mine do vibrate under hard braking from high speeds. They started this after I got sand in the brakes on one of my off-road adventures and had to get the rotors turned. I think is it just b/c they get so hot under that stress that the metal expands. When they have to be turned they normally aren't the same thickness all the way around anymore,even though they are not warped anymore, when the different thicknesses expand that makes it feel like they are warped. Hence the vibration. As long as it doens't do it all the time I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the quality of Toyota goes, why does everyone "nit-pick" These issues. If my memory serves me right, Toyota built their rep by building a product that would outlast the rest. And they did that with the essentials. They are getting into the american market more and more so they have to put these LUXURY features in them to compete. Those features will from time to time have issues. I haven't heard about anyone having REAL problems with the operations of the vehicle. Sure they are MAN MADE there will be a few problems. But maybe we should sit back and think about how the other manufacturers quality is going.
  • Options
    My remark was about Edmunds posting the old review where previously I found only new reviews. I thought maybe you guys ran out of vehicles to review and decided to post the old stuff
  • Options
    tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    Jared said:
    "It seems that you are trying to invoke a fight, or just simply tattle-tale..."

That's not the case at all or you would see my posts all over the place in different forums, and you don't. Unlike others, I do not make a habit of posting to forums with the sole intention of trashing a particular vehicle. For example, If I owned a "xxxx model" vehicle years ago that happened to have a lot of problems, and now drive something totally different, I wouldn't make it a lifetime goal to continuously visit the "xxxx" forums and make negative statements about it.

My posts concerning the 4Runner have strictly been in the "4Runner vs Grand Cherokee" thread. You don't find me on this thread making negative comments about the 4Runner. I found the case of the recent comments about Toyota 4Runner owners "imagining" their problems hard to believe. IF this had been an engine problem pertaining to a Grand Cherokee, you can bet the response would have been totally different - it would have truly "been a problem with the vehicle" and not the owner.

Quote:
    "but I'm sure if 4runnertexas wanted to get in on it, he'd be in the vs. discussion group getting in on it."

Why would 4runner Texas be following a "Grand Cherokee vs 4Runner" board?, and how can you speak for him? There are a ton of different threads for just about every vehicle, way too many for any individual to follow without spending every waking hour online.

I try to make balanced comments and statements on the "vs" board, is that not the way a discussion like this should be? And I have positive things to say about both the GC *and* the 4Runner. However, others have been totally one-sided, unfairly trashing the GC and never making one single positive comment about it. What good does that do anyone?

And by the way, I am curious as to why you have not "policed" the other posters as well?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gotcha. Note that it says "Reviews" not "NEW Reviews." :-)

Thanks for visiting the "main" page btw. Lots of people just hit Town Hall and forget that we have all that other stuff out there.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    4runtexas4runtexas Member Posts: 31
    sorry guys, i have been out of town...
    but the squeeking noise is close to a scraping on the chalkboard, very high pitched and repetitive...
    it is not just a straight noise, it will sound, then the noise will fade, then after a second, the noise will return to the same squeek.
    it occurs when the engine is first started, in the morning or after not being used for a long period of time, when the engine is "cooled off", after driving for a few miles and working the engine, the noise fades and fades until the noise is gone. then it returns, for example, start my car to go to a movie in the late afternoon (hasnt been used all day), squeeks like CRAZY, after about a quarter of the distance, maybe 4 or 5 miles, the noise will be very faint and soon stop.
    come out of the movies 2 hours later, star the car up, and here comes the noise, same story as before.

i have taken it to the shop THREE times, and i called the fourth to set up yet another appointment to have it fixed, and the dealer simply said "its obviously not going to be fixed, we've tried everything"

as a customer, i want the origional engine that was inside my vehicle, i do not want a different one, even if it is the exact same..call me crazy, but i want my car to be the same as when i bought it, i choose against swapping engines.

within the next 9 days, i will receive information about a hearing in downtown (houston) to figure out the solution that will take place. one thing is for sure, wether my car is fixed or replaced, the dealer has assured me i will never hear the squeek again, which i am assuming means they will place me in early 04 model, we'll have to wait and see
  • Options
    chortonchorton Member Posts: 149
    Sounds like a simple belt problem to me.
  • Options
    2walker2walker Member Posts: 9
    With my experience on my 2003 and the belt related noises (see msgs 6285, 6380) I tend to agree with chorton. In the last 20 days the noise on my truck has simply faded away and has not reappeared for over 2 weeks. It seems to be like when you buy new sneakers. The new rubber soles squeak sometimes on the floor, but when they get a little dirty and wear in they no longer squeak. IMHO, the rubber belt seems to be sqeaking coming off the tensioner. I'd give it 1500 miles and see if it goes away. If it doesn't, you'll still be under warranty. It is a nuisance to drive a new truck making all that noise. I know, 'cause I lived it first hand. But being patient turned out to be the best course of action in my case. Good luck!
  • Options
    rokinkrokink Member Posts: 25
    Are the squeaks that you both experienced on V6 or V8 engines?
  • Options
    chas215chas215 Member Posts: 22
    Have new 03 V6 4Runner with 300 miles and have same chirping sound coming from belt when engine is cold. Have been in touch with corporate Toyota as late as yesterday, 7/3/04. They apparently have a fix for the noisy belt problem. Not entirely sure of the TSB number but it may be TSB EG012-03. Good luck to all of us with this exasperating problem. Contact your dealer/service dept. They should have TSB available to them by now. Hope it works.
  • Options
    erisareperisarep Member Posts: 16
    I noted a post in this forum recently from someone with an 03 Runner conplaining of a noise coming from the rear of the truck when the body flexed as in driving slowly or backing out of the garage. Described it as a suspension creak. I had the exact same problem and was dismayed. The dealer fixed it yesterday in about 30 minutes. Turns out that the interior trim half panel in the back was not fully snapped down and was making this noise. There may be some other folks with this same problem. Truck is completely silent now. Happy 4th to all.
  • Options
    bpl646bpl646 Member Posts: 4
    hi,just bought my 03 4runner,v6 sr5 model 4x4...love it!But after looking at the electrical connector on the hitch the comes with it,Im not sure what I need for a plug.I have the connector thats built into the hitch,can any one help me with what I need to by for a plug ??
  • Options
    Has anyone noticed that the fuel filler door is aluminum? I wonder why.

Also does anyone know the way ground clearance is measured? The Toyota brochure says 9.1 inches for the 4WD. Consumer Reports says 6.5 (which is far too low). Is it measured at the point that is closest to the ground? If so, I would think that would be in one of the corners at the suspension point. I know the height at the transmission skid plate is greater than 9.1 inches.
  • Options
    djod49djod49 Member Posts: 12
    Hi. I've got a '99 SR5 5 speed with about 65k miles. Recently, the cruise control stopped working altogether. The green "cruise" light still comes on and does not flash. It just won't engage. I've also checked all the fuses and they're all OK. The dealer says to bring it in for diagnostics($40 to $50). Any thoughts on what it could be and how much? Thanks
  • Options
    beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    For those of you who own a 2003 V6 4 Runner, what is the octane of the fuel recommended in the owner's manual? Is it 87 octane??
  • Options
    The Toyota repair manual (Volume 1) has a list of Diagnosis Trouble Codes you can obtain using the procedure described therein. First thing you have to determine is who manufactured it, Denso or Ford.

(I doubt anyone can diagnose the problem over the internet.)
  • Options
    mrwhipplemrwhipple Member Posts: 378
    The ground clearance should be measured from the lowest point at the rear differential. It could be slightly different depending on the tire inflation.