Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn Aura New Owner Reports

Comments

• captkaoscaptkaos Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 XE, my wife noticed yesterday a thumping noise while moving the steering wheel back & forth. Also we have had intermittent problems with the power windows in wet weather. I tried to have the windows fixed but every time I bring the car in (3X now) the problem didn't present itself and the tech did nothing. I googled these issues and now you've all brought my attention to this issue. I checekd it out and, while there is no noticeable gap as yet, I can see where this will be a problem down the road. It's a very flimsy piece and I notice it coming loose and shifting near the front wheel already. I agree with the earlier poster...a nice bead of like-colored silicone should solve the issue, but it should never have been an issue to begin with! For the record, I called Saturn CAC today and the rep told me there have been 'scattered' reports of this issue in facilities nationwide. She said I should have it looked at ASAP and it 'MIGHT' be a warranty issue. I was just offered 15K on a trade for the car (trading up for an Outlook)...think I'll be trading it after all...anyone else note steering wheel or window issues?
  • tracyvtracyv Member Posts: 3
    I have ths same clunking noise. The dealer says it is the steering rack and is going to replace it. There will be enough instances soon!!!
    It took over a year for my Vue (bought April '06) to be recognized by this system (and 9 months to see this and reply to it) I tried every 4 weeks like the instructions said & even called customer care a few times..no help. I gave up on it but just last week for the heck of it I tried and the VIN was finally recognized. Bought an Aura in march and that VIN is still not in the system.
  • phaetondriverphaetondriver Member Posts: 175
    I sent my vin by email to a CSR at Saturn Service and it was input in a week. I went through what you are talking about, but after 2 months I was able to get an email address (don't ask me, it was 8 months ago) from their web site. I think it was from one of the CSR Chat windows that pop up while you are browsing their site. Ask them for the email address you need.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I'm surprised one of those chat windows was helpful...usually, they ask me what my concern is, I waste my time typing it, then they tell me to call the 800 number ..which begs the question: what's the point of having chat help??

I hope I can register the Aura...I took it in yesterday for steering wheel thump and power window problems. The thump was an intermediate shaft adjustment...no charge. The power window issue which I've had virtually since day one, turns out there's a bulletin for it, they gave me a copy of the bulletin which I may have found myself if the car was registered online. I also had them look at the rocker panel issues discussed in this forum which are for the most part OK...in case it becomes an issue later on, I have it documented that it's been checked...will do this at every service and stay on top of it. My dealership hasn't seen this issue yet.

It seems to me that if you don't bring your car back to the dealer you bought it, you get sub-standard service and information. I was jerked around until I went back to my original dealer, and when I was there, other customers who didn't buy their cars there left unhappy, whereas I was given royal treatment. Most of their phone reps, at least to me, are a waste of oxygen.
  • steelermansteelerman Member Posts: 36
    I am sure GM has tested the system, but has anyone done their own independant testing on this? And before the abacus crowd jumps in, I am fully aware that the most accurate way is to calcualte it the old fashion way. But, then again aren't you relying on the gas pump meter to accurately measure the amount put into your tank? Some pumps are many years old. Is old technology better than new?

Sorry so many questions........
    I took my '07 XR in because of the gaps in the rocker panel. The technician there said that the gaps were normal and in fact showed me an '08 XR on the showroom floor with the same gaps.
  • dinofdinof Member Posts: 106
    Yes, the gaps are manufacturing defects on ALL Aura models.
    Keep trying to get them fixed !!! :)
  • mrzermrzer Member Posts: 2
    We had the same problem and an intermediate shaft R&R fixed the problem.
    I am sure GM has tested the system, but has anyone done their own independant testing on this? And before the abacus crowd jumps in, I am fully aware that the most accurate way is to calcualte it the old fashion way. But, then again aren't you relying on the gas pump meter to accurately measure the amount put into your tank? Some pumps are many years old. Is old technology better than new?

A followup to my original post: Computer told me I got 26.9 mpg and when I figured it myself using the gas receipt and a calculator, I got 26.4 mpg. So, pretty accurate.

What do you all think?
    Mileage on my 2007 XR seems to match the DIC data fairly
    well. The best MPG I have gotten to date has been 17.6 city
    and 26.9 on a 3 hour Interstate trip from Asheville, NC to
    Columbia, SC. Average speed was 70-80 miles per hour.
    I received the low fuel signal with about 40 miles left on the DIC
    calculator.
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    Our 2008 Aura XR with 1190 miles developed a strong pull to the right. It was strong enough that on a divided highway it would pull the car up over the crown from the left hand lane. I was quite certain it was an alignment problem and took it to the selling dealer for a check. The first thing they did was check the alignment which, surprisingly, was found to be dead on. They next checked the tires by swapping front tires right to left which moved the pull from right to left. They next replaced the tire that was originally on the right front with a new tire. This didn't cure the problem so they put the original tire back on and replaced the tire that was originally on the left front with the new tire. This eliminated the pull completely! A lot of work, but necessary to eliminate the defective tire. The car came equipped with Hankook tires. If you have a similar problem and the dealer says everything checks out fine, make sure they have checked all four tires. I was very much surprised to discover that a defective tire can cause such a problem without any other symptom such as a vibration or wobble. Very impressed with the service, treatment and consideration I received at the selling dealer - Saturn of Grand Ledge, MI.
    I am glad to hear that the dealer worked the issue until they were able to fix it.

One question (actually two): Didn't you notice the car pulling when you test drove it? Or did it start later?
  • 07xr07xr Member Posts: 3
    The problem we all facing with the panels on the Auras was cause by saturn, I had the same problem, went back to the dealer and made em fix it, they try to tellme that its made to be like that, then I took the service manager to the showroom and showed him the one they had inside, and asked him what was the difference with the xr on the showroom and the xr I own, then he try go give me some BS! about the gaps were cause by expanding and contracting of the panels, due to the heat and wind, I said well then is a bad design, but he made no comment, they agreed to order new plastic clips for the side panels(under the doors) but the problem still there,I believe we have the right as consumer to get the truth, because they got our money, and all we got was the word, that they would stanf behind their product an they are not for the most.
    I have an 07 Aura, 16,649 miles, lately on the past month I notice that when I started the car, my radio wouldn't come on at all, then got to my destination, got back in the car and radio was fine, superbowl sunday , it happened again, but this time the radio am/fm wouldn't work, my XM radio was out, I tried to insert a cd (got the 6 disc changer) and nothing happened, I drove to a gas station, and since my radio wasn't working i wasn't distracted at all, then I notice that when I used my turn signals, the clicking sound from the relay wasn't there either, I got to the pump, turned the engine off , open the door, my wife was inside the car, so the key was on the ignition on OFF, but when I open the door to step out, the ignition key reminder buzzer, wasn't there either, pumped gas, got back in the car, took key off the ignition , close the door, put key back in, turned the ignition ON, my radio was back on, my Xm was working an so my turn signal relay sound as I drove away from gas station, just sharing with you guys, am taking it in tomorrow at 10 am, I will post the results, (also I had no engine light or service light on)

other problems with my XR are

rought idle
    heating seats get super hot
    I have a clunck sound when driving it comes from under the car, front suspension
    ( sounds like a bad strut)

when drive on cold on R and shift to D it takes a while to catch then a clunck sound

transsmission tugs when shifting.
    a week later after I bought it took it back, they said the trans had a miscalibration, and the toque converter was locking up, they re did the software it went away but if feels like is back on now

07 aura tailights have condensation inside (they did get replace, but they are back on now)so sounds like they will have to replace em again.

my heating control is kind of weird because it blows cold air even when the engine shows to be hot, ( cold winter am in chicago)

its a nice car my wife loves it but we had nothing but bad luck with this one, we just want the car that was suppose to be the car of the year, where is that car?
  • gdubya2gdubya2 Member Posts: 32
    The pull was not there initially. It developed as time went by - probably as the tire belts seperated - or did whatever they did to cause the pull.
  • texvettetexvette Member Posts: 12
    You reported:
    rought idle
    heating seats get super hot
    I have a clunck sound when driving it comes from under the car, front suspension
    ( sounds like a bad strut) same issue, but due to poor attachment of all the front grill assembly and sound deadening material.. go use you rfist to het front of bumper and area around the wheel wells.... no fix, but very annoying

when drive on cold on R and shift to D it takes a while to catch then a clunck sound Same issue (live in NH)

transsmission tugs when shifting.
    a week later after I bought it took it back, they said the trans had a miscalibration, and the toque converter was locking up, they re did the software it went away but if feels like is back on now yep, same issue

am very interested in repair or explanation.... will capitalize on it on next rip in with Aura XR (only have about 6600 miles....

Nice driving car, but initial build quality and new systems are very dissapointiing.... rented a 2008 with about th ssame number of miles, none of thses issues, but tires were very noisy on conrrete pavement.
    Stay on Saturn's A** !! It is a definite materials/workmanship
    issue and they need to make it right. Try going through the
    Better Business Bureau (BBB) Auto Line ! :)
    I have an 07XR with automatic climate control. I have noticed that despite the outside temperature, the system wants to have the AC on. So when I crank it up, it could be 30 degrees outside, the AC comes on. So I have to switch it to another setting (like re-circulate or outside air) keeping it on AUTO.

Any thoughts to why it does this?
    I was told that the A/C light will always come on no matter what the outside temp; however, the compressor will only operate
    above 40 degrees. I usually just tap the A/C button when the temp
    is very cold and the light will go off . If the outside temp soars
    above 40 degrees, the A/C will relight if the system is on Auto.
    Just another quirky GM or Saturn operation.
  • bob919344bob919344 Member Posts: 29
    SHUT off the Snow Flake which is the AC button !! this will shut off any ac mode

why not just find a temp and not use the auto mode like i do.,...set the car to a comfortable temp and fan speed and dont use the auto settings .

works fine, but i feel the heat around the feet not the best !!

set it to where the heat is at feet and through ac vents, this warms you and the car quick and keeps you comfortable without auto on
    I was told that the A/C light will always come on no matter what the outside temp; however, the compressor will only operate
    above 40 degrees.

So the AC compressor will come on automatically if the outside temp is 41 degrees?

How does this warm the car up?

How is my gas mileage affected if the AC compressor is operating needlessly?

Why would they design a climate control system like that?
    why not just find a temp and not use the auto mode like i do

I feel like I paid for the AUTO system and I would like it to work - automatically.

I guess I was under the impression that the system would sense the interior climate to include temp, humidity, window fog, etc... and adjust to deal with these issues.
    I have read that these NEW AC compressors have several levels of operation so when just a little compression is needed, like to remove the condensation inside the car on a clod morning, it runs at a low mode. AC is needed to remove the moisture vaporized from the windows after the car starts to warm up and your warm moist body is inside. The new compressors will only run when needed and the rest of the time it is doing nothing, even if and when the snow flake light is on.
    It's not cooling the car and it's not supposed to be using any more gasoline than necessary.

I did the same thing you all are doing, turning it off till I found out how the new compressors work, now I just forget about it :shades:
    Thanks phateondriver.

I new you'd come through for me. However, I'm not sure about you describing my body as "warm and moist". But I'll let it slide! ;);) since you give great answers!

Have a great day!
    The A/C indicator light being on merely indicates that A/C will be used should the inside/outside temperature mix require the temperature controller to engage the A/C compressor. This is not an indication that the A/C compressor is engaged all the time..... not unusual with automatic temperature coontrol in automobiles.
    Thanks texvette......
    No, what I was trying to get across was that the compressor
    will only come on as needed above 40 degrees.......it does not
    engage unless the interior temp you have selected requires
    cooling . Think of it as a "ready" light in auto mode. It will only
    engage the compressor as needed.
    Actually, the A/C will run to remove moisture from the car. When you engage the defroster, the A/C comes on to remove the moisture form the air that the defroster vaporizes off the windshield and rear window. So, whenever you set the selector to defrost, the A/C will come on. Cars have been doing this for decades now.
    Your right...............the compressor will come on to remove the moisture or to clear the winshield; I was just attempting to
    describe how the compressor acted when the HVAC is in full
    AUTO mode.
    Wasn't/didn't mean to, disagree. Just adding to the understanding of what the A/C system does. Some don't understand why the A/C is on when the heater/defroster is on.
    It does more than just cool the car ;)
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    I have noticed that when I switch the AC light off, my windows fog up quickly. When I leave it on, they do not fog up nearly as much.
    the problem with the under rocker panels, is not that the panels were cut bad, or the plastic is weak, the problems is the stamping of the saturn aura 07 in my case, after having the dealer remove the panels, at the shop, my and the service manager went back an looked at the problem, all 3 of us agreed that the problem is not the rocker panel. is the way the car overlaps in the middle, between the doors, am referring to the floor or the car in 2 pieces welded front an back of the car,.

The dealer ordered new clips, they were put on but the problem is there,because the clips are only so long, and the shape of the structure under the rocker panel is off about an 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch, so after time that gap reflects on the small split located between the front door and back door almost right before the side post on the front seat

If they say is not a defect all they need to do is open the car, remove the panels, an see it for themselves, please excercise your right as a consumer, don't let anyone get away with stuff like this.

If we don't complain they will give us less quality and charge us more money,because they will think they can get away with it.

I would like to post some photos of my rocker panels, if someone can give me any info on how I will appreciate thank you.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    You can upload your photos into an album on your CarSpace page ( http://www.carspace.com/07xr) and then provide a link to it in a post. Follow the instructions Photo Albums. If you need further help, just holler.
    Saturn has admitted it is a design defect and as such would require a Design Modification. Modifications are not covered by the warranty.

They offered me money to drop my Arbitration and have the car
    repaired at any body shop........(except Saturn). This is done in order that Saturn can claim that a modification was performed on the vehicle and therefore invalidates the warranty. I won the
    Arbitration, but Saturn filed an "Impossible to Repair "
    document with the Arbitrator. They contend that a Modification
    is not considered a Repair and is therefore not a warranty item.
    BY the way, this problem is common to all 2007 and 2008 Auras.
    The Chevy Malibu which is manufactured at the same factory
    and considered to be the Saturn Aura's twin apparentl solved
    this problem by covering the defect area with some sort of plastic
    or aluminium piece that hides the separations.
    While on my way to work this AM in my 07 Aura XR with 6600 miles on it still in my subdivision, I looked at the speedo and it said 65 mph. Rest assured I was NOT going that fast. I found a spot to pull over, turned off the car and it read 30 mph. So I drove the rest of the way to work doing math in my head so as not to get a ticket. When I got to work, I shut it off, then just turned it to accessory and noticed the speedo needle jump down a few mphs. So I kept doing this until it was down to zero. I have an appt with the dealer later this AM.

Anyone else having issues like this?
    It seems to me that a fair amount of Recalls are due on the
    great, new North American 2007 Car of the Year. :(
    I have an appt with the dealer later this AM.

UPDATE: Well I took it in and they could not replicate it and it showed no codes. They did notice that the battery cable was loose and so he tightened it and sent me home. If it happens again, I'll remember not to "fix" it before taking it in.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    Something like that sounds as if there may be a problem developing with the instrument cluster. They would have to send out the entire cluster to be refurbished (as they can't just replace the speedo) or replace w/ a new unit. It could be something as simple as a bad solder point on the cluster. If it happens again, I'd inquire about having them replace it and be done with it.
    The Aura, as with most new GM models use a digital signal structure for communication within the electronics system of the car. This could just as easily be a faulty digital to analog converter or a 'hung bit' in one of the interfaces to the instrument cluster. The fact that this cleared itself when the power to the car (ignition off-on) was recycled make this a likely cause as well.... but the repair would be the same, replcement of the faulty component... either instrument cluster module or associated sending unit or....

allowing the faulty condition to remain and then take it to the dealer would confirm this condition and expedite the analysis and repair.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    I was relating it to my '88 Regal. The odometer went loopy on it at around 95k mi., and when I inquired about a replacement, the dealer said $250 for a rebuilt unit, the boneyard said you pull it, no guarantee,$175. So, I went to pull my unit out and was gonna have my friend take a look at it. At this point, I noticed a sticker on it for a United Electronics, Syracuse, NY w/ an 800 number. So, I gave it a shot. They said ship it here, and for like $120, they refurbished it. So I had no speedo for 2 weeks, BIG savings.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    "It seems to me that a fair amount of Recalls are due on the
    great, new North American 2007 Car of the Year"

As with most new models (regardless of the maker) , the second or third years are the sweet spot for quality and better deals.
    Yea, I agree.....................but most customers looking for a
    new car just can't resist that brand new model that no one else
    has as yet. But just as you say, it takes the companies a few
    years to work out the bugs....................and then guess what :
    just as they finally get that model working just right, it's time for
    the next generation of that model and we start all over again.
    You just can't win..............especially if they will not honor their
    warranties. :sick:
    I forgot to mention one thing. Since the Saturn Aura and Astra
    were brought over from Europe where they are best sellers .......
    all the bugs should have been worked out previously . :mad:
    I know I'll probably get an earfull on this, but I believe the
    problem on most American cars or foreign cars assembled by
    American Companies is the workmanship. Our workers no
    longer take pride in a job well done. All they want is the money
    and benefits; which is the main reason GM and others are
    attempting to buy out all the union workers and replace them
    with people who will realize that if they do shoddy work, they
    will be replaced and not have a union to protect them !
    Our workers no longer take pride in a job well done. All they want is the money
    and benefits;

Hey Dinof, It's hard to give you an ear full since you can't hear this anyway, unless your using that goofy microsoft text reader thingie. LOL

I wouldn't say that the American workers "don't want to build a quality car" or "that they can't built a quality car" but rather they aren't allowed to build a quality car.
    Between the Unions wanting to get the highest salaries for the workers, and the stock holders demanding higher profits so they can have bigger dividend checks each quarter there isn't time to build a quality car.
    Every sub contracted component manufacturer has the same issues as the mother corporation. So every part cost more than it is worth and was made with the minimum allowable quality that will get past the inspectors.
    Until we eliminate the stock owners and the unions and are willing to pay a lot more for the same car, we will continue to build poor quality cars that you and I can afford. Secondary reason is of course the big car builders want you to have to buy a new car in about 4-5 years. No reason to build one that will last much more than that now is there?

Of course you might be 100% correct and I may be all wet ;)
    I think we're both right. I just wish that they would build a car
    that would last at least as long as the car payments .......LOL. :mad:
  • slaplanteslaplante Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2007 Aura XE. I started the car the other morning and my whole dash cluster just quit working. (no lights or gauge readings) I have had no problem with this car before this occurred and was actually considering trading it for an Aura XR next year. Has anyone else had this problem? It has an appointment Thursday morning at the dealership.
    Check for a blown fuse would be my only recommendation
    if the entire cluster went out.