Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    paulmlacpaulmlac Member Posts: 27
    My wife and I are considering buying a used RX. We would use it to tow a pop-up camper. The camper weighs 1,000 lbs but then add another 500 lbs or so of gear. I know the vehicle is rated for 3,500 lbs. But, we're curious what RX owners who use their vehicle to tow think of it as a tow vehicle. For instance, what lbs do you tow? Do you feel a drag behind? What's acceleration like? Does the transmission shift alot? Stuff like that... Thanks for your feedback!
  • Options
    raddboy41raddboy41 Member Posts: 249
    I used the RX to tow my motorcycle trailer and it was about 1,200 lbs. It did a wonderful job! Good power and there was very little "pushing" from the trailer behind me. A lot of this has to do with setting the proper tongue weight and other variables, but the vehicle is rated for a Class II hitch so anything within those specifications should be just fine. Unless you are running on a flat freeway, I would turn overdrive OFF during towing.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    Hi all. My tires are kind of worn out after ~22,000 miles. Are Duelers known for such life expectancy or are they supposed to last longer?

In general, are they considered a good tire or shoud I consider different tires for replacement?
  • Options
    clee4clee4 Member Posts: 103
    I have 20K on a 01RX with a set of duelers, and have many more miles left on them. I rotate the tires every 5K and rotate the full size spare into the mix. So actually, I have only 15K on each tire now. I talked to a tire friend of mine, and he said they should last past 40K with no problem.
  • Options
    mrrogersmrrogers Member Posts: 391
    I spoke with a dealer in Ohio this week about the next RX300. Edmunds has it coming out in the Fall of 2003 as a 2004 model. The Lexus dealer told me it will come out in the Spring of 2003. He suggested that we won't be able to order a 2003 RX300 after January 2003. The 2004 will be built in Canada, and it will have a 3.3 liter V-6. It will be slightly longer, slightly wider, but the third row seat will not be available. When I questioned the quality of the paint of a Canadian built car, he claimed that Toyota's Canadian built Solaras are fine.
    We discussed the leather seat wear issue, and the sunroof popping sound issue, and he was aware of both problems. He claims the 1999 and 2000 models had most of the problems, but that the leather is better starting in 2001, and that the sunroofs don't pop anymore starting in 2001.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,740
    My evil wife's '02 RX turned 10k miles today. Nothing much to report, no problems or issues. MPG has increased in her local driving routine from 17-18mpg to 19-20mpg.
    She's still lovin' it. Thinks it's soooo cute. Of course, she doesn't pay the monthly bill! That ain't so cute...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    shus226shus226 Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2001 2WD RX300. The maintenance schedule lists an item called "Retorgue Drive Shaft Flange Bolt". Could someone please help me to locate it? Edmunds Maintenance Glossary defines Drive Shaft as "In a rear or four wheel drive vehicle". Does that mean my two wheel drive does not have the drive shaft flange bolt?
    Thank you.
  • Options
    suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've got 31k miles on my RAV4's oem Dueler H/Ts. Rotated (4-tire only) every 5k miles. I think they could go another few thou, and I feel they've given me decent service, but with winter coming I've ordered something new.

More discussion about this here in "Aftermarket and Accessories" under "Tires Tires Tires" thread.
  • Options
    hmmm... mine were rotated too... but they are quite worn out especially on the outer edges.

The dealer kept on underinflating the tires, probably thinking that I needed extra soft ride. Maybe that did it.
  • Options
    a few times I made long 3 hour trips at ~100mph. Could that be the reason for worn tires?
  • Options
    bentwrenchbentwrench Member Posts: 27
    That is correct. Not on FWD.
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    You will find that the new Dueler H/L is far superior to the older H/T. The H/L was designed for SUV street use, is every bit as good as the new Michelins, looks better and is less expensive.

I believe you will enjoy the Dueler H/L as it is more performance oriented, making your 300 mile trips at ~100 MPH safer, if indeed that word can be used for such a trip ;-)
  • Options
    melvinshmelvinsh Member Posts: 19
    My 99 RX300's check engine light just came on for no reason. Is there any reason for this? What should I do? I think my RX is out of 4 years service period.
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    Could it be a loose gas cap? I saw a Toyota Sienna had Check Engine light on. First thing dealer checked is the gas cap. A Nissan cap was used and it turned the kight on maybe due to the wrong pressure.
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    You may want to have the dealer check your RX's alignment. I believe misalignment can cause tires to wear prematurely such as in your case. Good luck.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The AutoZone parts stores in my area are advertising their free Check Engine Light diagnosis - I guess they plug your car into a scanner and pull the codes off for you. Nice service while it lasts.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Just got added to my 01 AWD RX300.

For those with RX300 shop manuals.

Parts required:
    1. Zettler minature "dip" relay P/N AZ830-2C-12DSE
    2. 2k ohm 1/4 resister
    3. 1N4007 diode

The N.O. relay contacts when closed "shunt" the 2k resistor across the rear axle heighth sensor between it's output (green/yellow, pin 18) and it's reference voltage input (black/orange, pin 20). Pin numbers are on the headlight beam level control ECU connector mounted on the firewall just above your right toe when braking.

Relay coil with parallel diode is connected between highbeam combination switch (C17) and 12 volt batetry source. Anode side of diode to connector IE1, (light green/red wire) and emitter side to pin 14 (red/white wire) of "level" ECU connector.

Internal headlamp assembly will now move upwards about one degree, ~4" at 20 feet, with highbeams on. Since Highbeams also move with lowbeam HIDs you will need to adjust the highbeams, only, back down about one degree.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    eom
  • Options
    Certainly not in PA, but it might help to prevent a few.
  • Options
    ...I am not happy.

Perhaps you should switch to a T&C in the wintertime so my family can graze in peace.
  • Options
    Jeff, I always knew something was amiss with you, but this is beyond the pale.

Oh, sorry, D E E R, Jeff, Not D E A R.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    C'mon, guys! Mother Earth will be displeased over these family squabbles!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    or lack thereof is a killer when it comes to tire life, as kmh believes. Probably more important than balancing, but seldom checked, and often performed poorly by hamburger flipper drop outs.

Don't forget to check tire pressure regularly also.
  • Options
    krazyhopzkrazyhopz Member Posts: 17
    Here is a my RX300 with upgraded wheels and tires. The tires are Michelin Pilot LTXx 255x55x18 V-rated. It still rides very smooth, but handles corners a lot better.

http://members.roadfly.org/ccie23/627300-R1-14.jpg
  • Options
    devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    What are the best replacement tires for the RX. I will soon be looking as the cheapest Goodyears ever made finally wear out. Of course I'm looking for it all, Ride, low noise, traction, etc....

Thanks!
  • Options
    .........are probably either Michelin Cross Terrains or Bridgestone Dueler H/L's. For lot's more check the archives.
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    Took my 99 RX in today for the 45,000 mile service. When I arrived for my appointment, the dealer had a prepared work order with an estimate of $340.00. I had printed out and taken with me:

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide

I informed them that I wanted to do just what was on my list. Total cost including tax was $79.19.

By avoiding the unnecessary fluid changes etc. I figure I saved at least $250.00. BTW, the loaner was a 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe; and it was much nicer than I had anticipated, but I digress. Thanks Edmunds!

Pete

• Options
    gcrim21gcrim21 Member Posts: 11
    I had posted a couple of times earlier about how rotten the AM band in my 1999 RX300 has been. However, I finally found a radio techician today who immediately diagnosed and eliminated the prblem. Lexus had grounded the blue instrument monitor that is positioned above the radio and the radio with the same ground wire. The radio repairman grounded them with separate ground wires and eliminated the loud ignition noise completely. Hooray!!!! for someone who discovered the problem that Lexus had told me there was no fix for. Of all car manufacturers one would think a company like Lexus would know better.

Regards,
    Glenn Camp
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Good for you! We like to hear success stories and I passed your message up the chain.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    One of the tires received a gash in the tread and we are now driving on the spare.
    The remaining tires have 35,000 miles of use.
    I know that you shouldn't buy just one new tire and leave the other three, making it extremely off balanced.
    Can I buy two new tires that stay together in the front or back, instead of buying four new tires?

All that talk about owning a lexus and spending the money that comes with ownership isn't necessary.

Thanks,
    Troy
  • Options
    Actually what I don't do. I don't rotate my spare, ever, for just the reason you now have. It seems to me that my life's experience has been that somewhere during the tread life of a set of tires, one tire gets "sacrificed".

So I put my "brand new" spare along with a newly purchased one of the same brand, size, etc, etc, on the rear wheels and put the "used" one aside as my spare.

The rule of thumb is that you always want greater traction on the rear, not the front.

If your RX is AWD and the other tires have less than 50% of the tread left you might want to check with Lexus before you unbalance the final drive ratio front to rear via the above method.

In my personal opinion it doesn't matter. One, the RXes viscous fluid never "stiffens" enough for the relatively minor (even with one set almost totally worn down) disparate rotational rate F/R to matter. And two, the RX already has a pretty radically different final drive ratio front vs rear. Something on the order of 2.92 vs 3.12.
  • Options
    paul8801paul8801 Member Posts: 7
    On Monday, my aftermarket tow hitch and wiring/ converter kit should arrive and I'll be able to start installing on my 2000 RX. The wiring kit is universal and I'll need to splice in to the rear lights and run a fused connection from the battery.
    Has anyone done this before who can give me some tips such as the best place to splice in to the car's harness, colors of the wires for the different lights (I don't have a shop manual/schematic), the best place to get the separate conection from the battery and the best route(s) for the wiring?

I started off by buying the Lexus tow kit. Ended up with the 2001/2002 wiring and converter because the dealer thought my car was manufactured late enough in 2000 (May) that it would be pre-wired. Of course, when I looked for the pigtails in the plastic box under the car and in the cargo area, and for the studs to mount the converter they weren't there. The instructions said the kit was for "Year 2000.8 ~" so I guess that means August 2000 and on for the pre-wiring. I called several dealers but no-one could tell me if the tow hitch kit for the '00 was Class 2 or Class 3 or, if I bought just the wiring kit, what it contained or what was involved. I figured I'd end up splicing anyway so sent the Lexus kit back and went aftermarket (1/2 the price). Does anyone know what the '00 Lexus wiring kit contains? Might it have something similar to T-connectors ?

Thanks, Paul
  • Options
    app1eqfapp1eqf Member Posts: 9
    For all of you who live in New York area there is a Lexus meeting being planed. The date is 10/12/2002. Here is the link from www.clublexus.com

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=cc927bd6be6b7796fcb6c48c0c4df58e&threadid=58248

Last time we had about 17 cars. Out of it 3 RX's.

• Options
    hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Devlopper, in response to your "What are the best replacement tires for the RX..." question, I just replaced the Goodyear Integritys on my 2001 Highlander with Michelin Cross Terrains, which are one of the two tires Fantom noted in response to your post. I just did so Friday (Sept 20), but wow, what a difference; at least in my opinion, and at least on the Highlander. Much nicer handling/ride and I can't believe the noise improvement - I had no idea the type of tire made such a difference. But again, just my opinion, or perhaps perception. I paid $660 for a set of four, out the door (the actual cost I paid for each tire before tax, balancing, and mounting, etc., was $147), with "life time" free rotation from a local independent tire dealer. I am very pleased with the Michelins so far.
  • Options
    regartnobregartnob Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at purchasing a used RX300 with about 100,000 miles from a Lexus dealer. I'd appreciate any insight you current owners may share. (I hadn't expected to see a RX with such hi mileage on a Lexus dealer's lot)
  • Options
    pschiffepschiffe Member Posts: 373
    I posted detailed instructions for exactly this back on Sept. 4, 1999. Title was "RX Trailer Wiring Solved". You should be able to find it in the archives. If not, email your snail mail address or fax number and I'll send you a copy.

Pete
  • Options
    Get the dealer to include a Lexus type warranty, say 3 years and 45,000 additional miles, at no additional cost, since I'm sure he's telling you what good shape the vehicle is in.

And when he does, be sure to read the fine print. Good luck!
  • Options
    paul8801paul8801 Member Posts: 7
    .....thanks. I found it in the archives. Will let you know how I make out.

-Paul
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Better Informed:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rollover/

I am glad Lexus and MB dont charge a ridiculously higher premium for RX and ML compared to ES and C Class as against Detriot which seems to be making a fool of SUV buyers!

• Options
    clugclug Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a used 2002 Lexus RX300 and it was missing the front cupholder (the one that fits in the console drawer) and the luggage (cargo) cover. The dealer wants a fortune. Is there anywhere else to get these. I've tried salvage dealers, but no one seems to have them.
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
  • Options
    wayn1wayn1 Member Posts: 69
    Hi. Does anyone know of a company that makes a cable to fit you car's computer diagnostic connector under the dash so you can use your handheld PDA to read trouble codes?
    Thanks
  • Options
    devlopperdevlopper Member Posts: 44
    I've only got 14,000 miles on my RX and I am really sick of these tires. First a blowout and now a slow leak and of course I am looking for an excuse to get something better. I am shocked that Lexus would put such a bottom-of-the-line product on any of their vehicles.

I checked back a ways into the messages and it seems that the Michelins are the most popular replacement.
  • Options
    hlronhlron Member Posts: 113
    Devlopper, in response to your Sept 24 posting in which you mentioned a blowout, I THINK that may be what did in a Goodyear Integrity on my Highlander - I was going about 70 MPH on a freeway and heard a sound like a big rock hit my HL, then a loud sound similar to a massive air flow type noise; I thought my spoiler had been damaged. Then I felt it was a tire, and by the time I figured out what happened and could safely pull over, the tire (passenger side rear) was beginning to smoke, and it had started to shred. When I got the tire off, I saw a rupture on the inside sidewall; the reason I noted "I think" it was a blow out is I don't know if that damage inside the tire happened because something did hit my tire well and damaged the tire, or what. Anyway, since I had 23,400 miles on the Goodyears, I could not buy only one replacement tire with that much treadwear. Since I had to buy at least two, this was my excuse to go ahead and get the set of four Michelin Cross Terrains. I had been waiting, and looking forward to, the day those Goodyears would be worn enough to justify replacing them. As I noted in my earlier posting, I am very pleased with the Cross Terrains. I do still have the orginal spare Goodyear, though.
  • Options
    jfleming007jfleming007 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 2002 RX300 and so far everything is great. I do have one question / problem (minor) that the dealer is really giving me a run around about -

The air recirculate button comes on by it self. Here's the scenario; I'm not running the A/C nor is Auto or Manual mode on..when I park the car in the garage at night, with everything off, and come out at 5:15 in the morning and drive to work everything is fine - the Air Recirculate is OFF - everything is off. I then drive the car to work and it sits in the parking lot all day, in the sun - inside temp - 85 - 100 deg. When I come out (again everything is off as I left it) and start up the car the Air Recirculate button is on all by itself - everything else is OFF (both Auto and Manual)!!. I know it's a minor point as all I have to do is push the button off, but - I don't think the system is working right. Especially when the owners manual recommends that you use the out side air most of the time. The dealer tells me that the system is anticipating that you are going to use the A/C???? I told the dealer that I think the system is thinking with half a brain...I want to be the guy that tells the system what to do. Well any way, I'm dropping the car off for a night and day, taking a "loaner" RX300 and will see how that systems works???

Have any of you RX300 owners out experienced the same problem(?) or is this the way the system should work. If it's designed this way it really doesn't make any sense. Why would only one button come on? I know it's minor but it kind of bugs me that I have to turn the REC button off all the time.
  • Options
    A feature.

Sometimes I do think the Nippondenso engineers who designed the Lexus climate control system did have only half a brain, between them.

Regretably your dealer is absolutely correct, that is the way the system is designed to operate. In the owners manual they tell YOU to open the rear windows in this circumstance to purge the hot air volume within the cabin. And then they go off and design a system that, otherwise, "traps" the super-heated cabin air.

Anyone with more than half a brain would know that even were you to follow their thinking (anticipating your're going to turn A/C on) bringing cooler outside air in to be further cooled by the A/C would result in much quicker cabin cooldown than their "method".
  • Options
    gcrim21gcrim21 Member Posts: 11
    jfleming007, the recirculation button on my 1999 RX300 works just the opposite of what yours is doing. When the air conditioner is on I most always have the recirculation button on. However, it decides on it's on that it wants to turn off instead of staying on. This thing just has a mind all it's own. Also the air conditioner has to be turned on by depressing AUTO. There is no way it will turn on manually by just depressing the AC button like the manual says. Now of course after the AUTO button is depressed turning the air conditioning on, then the fan knob can be turned to adjust the fan speed and it switches to manual operation.

But the thing that drives me up a wall more than anything is the danged rattles in this vehicle that the Lexus dealer just could never eliminate. Of course it's not the dealer's fault, it's the manufacturer's goof up.
  • Options
    not 100% sure but remember it's CBEST programmable. My 00 RX default is "outside air" whenever AUTO A/C button is pressed. Will check my CBEST copy after I go home.
  • Options
    CBEST document says about the AIR INLET MODE:

AUTO: Will automatically change air inlet to RECIRCULATE when A/C is turned ON.

MANU: Will not change air inlet when A/C is turned ON.

The default factory setting is AUTO.
  • Options
    Does this mean those nippondenso HVAC designer guys have MORE than half a brain between 'em and someone else has NO brain at all?

Does this mean somebody shoulda been rewiring the CBEST specs instead of worrying about rewiring the Xenons?

Does this mean that occasionally checking in with one's Single Marque Lexus Dealer...the one that's so busy ripping-off customers..could..have...easily...fixed...the "A/C-came-back-on-in-recirc-mode-so-the-windshield's-gonna-fog-up-and-kill-us-all" mode?

Nah, that couldn't be it...could it?