Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    My 99' Rx wasn't even a year old and my every time I let a certain individual drive it (we all know who she is) it didn't come back to me the same as it left. First a dent and paint break by the pass. taillight, then somehow another dent driver A-pillar, of coarse paint break and lastly a Bee Bee from a troubled youngster into the driver door(this happen when I was driving) oh and on the back bumper as she loaded a speaker into the back, although this probably happened to a lot of owners hence the bumper guard on 4x4 models after 99'. When it was all said and done around $3600 in damage, Lexus white paints have extra stages. Fortunately for me my aunt works at Lexus and it cost me around $800 or so. Very frustrating but the Lexus body shop did an excellent job.
  • Options
    joanziejoanzie Member Posts: 51
    Could someone please tell me, doesn't 4wd and awd mean the same thing since it is on all the time, and fwd means front wheel drive, right. I get overwhelmed sometimes on this site with technical information but it sure is great and a learning experience. I have never had a popping noise on my sunroof and have had it out in over 100 degrees also it is a very quiet car, maybe Tony is right about the dealer having something to do with it and checking it out first.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I just returned from the dealer trying to have my clicking sunroof resolved for the second time. The technician who looked at it has the same SilverSport as mine and also has the clicking sound. He claims it is due to heat expansion and cooling contraction of the plastic and metal parts used in the sunroof and there currently is no fix. They did , however, file a problem report. I also opened a case # at the Lexus customer satisfaction line at 1-800-255-3987. I urge anyone else who is experiencing this sound to do the same.
  • Options
    ynocar2ynocar2 Member Posts: 2
    Just curious what other dealers are charging for an Oil Change and Lube. For my 2000 RX300 it costs me $50. For my Toyota at the same dealership it costs me $26.
  • Options
    ynocar2ynocar2 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any good advice for a Cargo Carrier for the RX300. Lexus says the roof rack will only support 75 lbs and is not recommended for luggage.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Is in the worse possible place for changing out, just did it myself a few moments ago and it is a bear, even if you wait for the exhaust manifold to cool.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I think Tarik also confirmed that Black Lexus vehicles (or maybe it was just the RX) do not have clearcoats because Lexus feels that the black paint is shiny enough.

Perhaps Tarik could confirm or deny this?
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Joan, we have just the topic for you! Please follow the link below:
    drew_ "4WD & AWD systems explained" Feb 5, 2001 8:24pm

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    different folks, different strokes!

Jeep PART TIME 4WD. All four wheels HARD driven all the time so something better slip, give, somewhere, ice, snow, mud, whatever, or the mechanicals will be damaged, especially in turns. Part time means only for use in slippery conditions.

Jeep full time AWD. Has dual viscous clutches for center differential to distribute torque evenly in normal circumstances to both front and rear axles.

RX300 AWD. HARD, directly, driven front axle, rear axle driven via a single viscous clutch. Normal torque distribution 70/30 front/rear, stiffens to as much as 51/49 if differential turning rate develops between front and rear axles. Note I said axles, not wheels. TRAC (2001 only) will automatically "allocate" torque (at least in theory) left to right or right to left, front or rear, if necessary.
  • Options
    ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    I don't know who "she" is, but she'd be in the doghouse with me! I've gotten some good stories to help ease the pain. I keep telling myself how much worse it could be. Thanks for the words of sympathy.
  • Options
    bigbob8bigbob8 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have any info on when the 2002s will be available?
  • Options
    I think I read (at ClubLexus) that the Silversport's production ceased in June, making it a 3 month production. Does this sound right for a special edition Lexus? Is there a way of finding out how many were made?
  • Options
    On the Edmunds home page the first drive of the redesigned ES300, I'll take a guess and say new RX in March of 02' as an 03' model similar to the intro in 99'

"she" is the significant other. Oh!!! one last thing, cracked wind shield (retail $700) my 99' doesn't have the repellant coating so newer models probably more $$. It's been a hectic 2 1/2yrs.
  • Options
    46494649 Member Posts: 24
    WWest,

I remove the dust cover under the car to change the oil. I find this works quite well. When I got my first free oil change, this is how the Lexus dealer did it.

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll remember that next time. That's how I'm forced to do it on the 92 LS so I should have thought of that myself.
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    We just took a little road trip from Las Vegas to Maine. The GPS steered us to my wife's aunt's house very well. I'll keep our 100+ day's over the 70% humidity up in the Northeast any day. Yuck.

On the way home in New York after leaving Niagara Falls, we headed South. After 45 minutes the GPS said we we where approxiametly 10 miles more north then our current position. It showed us traveling South but in the completely wrong position. I pulled over and stopped to see if I could manually adjust our position and get the GPS back on the correct heading. With the car stopped and in park, I couldn't activate the button to perform the manual adjustment. I went back to the map screen and saw that the GPS showed us still moving :(

I got completely off the highway and ejected the DVD in an attempt to restart the system. This worked and the problem wasn't seen again. I know that sometimes the GPS is off by a few hundred feet and can put you on a road that is close to the one your traveling, but this error was completely off by miles.

If anyone has had any other kinds of experiences, please let me know. I'm not very excited about telling the service manager about a problem that I'm sure he won't be able to duplicate.
  • Options
    ladylisaladylisa Member Posts: 7
    My husband and I are shopping for a new car since our 1997 minivan is having serious transmission troubles(I'll never buy another Dodge as long as I live) and we have decided to go with an SUV. We have narrowed it down to the Highlander, MDX and the RX300. I test drove the RX300 and loved most everything about it except the CD changer being in the glovebox (what were they thinking?) and the large turning radius (it's bigger that my van's!!). Do any of you Lexus owners have any thoughts on how much of an issue the turning radius and CD changer have been in everyday use? I can't image having to park something more difficult than the van. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    All three are very nice trucks. Do you still need the third seat? If you do you're left with the Sequoia.

Perhaps another test drive is in order. Sometimes it helps when you get used to the vehicle.
  • Options
    tonychrystonychrys Member Posts: 1,310
    Many of us here have cross-shopped or test drove the 3 vehicles you mentioned. Here's an objective opinion.

RX300: Most luxurious of the three. Best ride comfort, least cabin noise, especially at highway speeds. Also has the best overall safety systems, crash test ratings (both IIHS and NHSTA), best reliabilty ratings, best customer satisfaction and initial quality (JD Power). Best foul weather handling because of the permanent 4WD. The down side is it has the least cargo room of the three.

Highlander: Essentially a mainstream RX300, same engine and saftey systems. Ride will not be as refined and quiet. Can not be ordered with certain high-end features, like navigation system. Has slighty more cargo room than the RX300.

MDX: Has the most cargo room of three, and offers 3rd row seating (children only). Ride comfort will be between the HL and RX (stiffness vs compliancy). Downsides include no active safety systems and most expensive of the three when comparably equipped. Dealers are charging MSRP and sometimes forcing unwanted "accessories". Biggest downside is that you can not get one right away, you'll wait anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months. But overall a good versatile vehicle.

You really need to make a list of what you "need" and then see which vehicle best fits that criteria. For example, if you need 3rd row seating, then the RX and HL are out of the question.

Happy shopping.
  • Options
    The latest edition of InsideLexus.com is out!

The new ES300 looks very sweet!

And the new 5-speed manual IS300, with the "pop-up" DVD Nav kicks butt.

Homer says: "Must... fight... urge... to... buy... new... car."
  • Options
    ladylisaladylisa Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the input guys. No, we don't need the 3rd row (there's only the 3 of us). We only use ours in the van on rare occasions when we go out with friends to a restaurant and offer to drive. We decided it won't kill them to take their own car. We have 2 dogs, one of them a LARGE Golden Retriever, so we still want the space behind the second row, thus the need for the SUV (I'm done with the soccer mom image).

Tonychris, if you only knew me, you'd know that I have already created my own spreadsheet comparing all the specs and luxury features. I've also test driven all 3 and I liked the ride in the RX300 and the HL better by a smidge over the MDX (something about that lumbar in the MDX). Each one has its own negatives and positives, it's the weighing each that's killing me. For me, if any one of the 3 had dual air, that would make my choice for me but none of them do. My husband drives us around in the "nice" car (MY car) on the weekends and he likes the air much colder than I do so I am constantly adjusting my air controls (we have dual air in the van) to make mine warmer. I'm trying to focus on the negatives to determine if any of them are something that I just can't live with on a daily basis. Just start eliminating until one emerges the victor... or something like that. Thus, the question about the CD changer and turning radius in the RX300. Right now I make a lot of relatively tight turns (the day-care circle, our itty bitty cul-de-sac, parking, etc.) and if the RX300 will make things more difficult for me, maybe that's a deal breaker. Even though the Lexus is definitely nicer than the Highlander and probably a better value since we would definitely get the Limited HL with everything, if I've got a decent turning radius and an in-dash 6 CD player, it might be the better choice, but then again I don't get all the great luxury features. While the MDX is also a great car, not having the VSC (I've been involved in a couple of skidding accidents) and the operation of the A/C controls through the LCD (I like the simple knobs) are a big turnoff, and yet it's getting rave reviews and is expected to do extremely well in the crash tests. Sigh, can you tell that I'm one of those people that takes FOREVER to make a decision? You should see my husband and I just trying to pick out a restaurant (I don't know, where do you want to go?... I don't care, wherever you want... well, it doesn't matter to me...) YEESH! Anyway, any opinions on those 2 particular RX negatives, the CD changer and turning radius, would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the ramble.
  • Options
    I like you... you remind me of me. I'm the same way in analyzing an important purchase, when we were shopping for our latest my wife was like "just buy something already!"

To answer your questions:
    Turning radius: yes, the turning radius is larger than most other vehicles in it's class. Let's put it this way, in my former Pathfinder I could get away with making 1-point u-turns on certain wide enough streets if I pulled the steering wheel at the right moment. The RX will not make those special occasion 1-point turns and you'll be restricted to traditional 3-point turns. Does it bother me? Nah, like I said making 1-point turn was a "bonus" in the PF. Parking is NOT a problem. If you are really concerned most Lexus dealerships will let you borrow a RX for a couple of hours (sometimes overnight) for an extended test drive, take it home to the cul-de-sac and try it out.

CD-Changer: I agree with you, what were they thinking? I like the new magazine-less changers of the new PF, etc. We got around the CD magazine thing by buying (at a discount) extra "his and hers" cartridges. When I get in the Rex, I open the dash and slap my cartridge in. Wife gets in, she slaps hers in. We even got one for the little man so he can hear "Woody's Roundup" and other wonderful Disney discs.

I hope that answers your questions. Good luck.
  • Options
    johnnnycjohnnnyc Member Posts: 166
    Minus the large dog, but I carry around enough 'extraneous materials' (i.e., crap) that makes an SUV mandatory. The MDX stole the show here - just look at the CR report. With the third row down, I'm sure you can fit your retriever with plenty of space to spare. Not so sure on the RX, but you'd know better there.

If AC really matters - you have to give a thumbs up to the MDX. Damn lot of AC there (18k BTU - two separate units for front and rear - that's a lot of damn AC for one car).

Turning radius is essential too - but the MDX is clearly the winner here as well.

Another major plus for the MDX - 240 horses. That was one scared dealer in the seat next to me. Luckily, my wife was not driving all that long ;)

My biggest complaint is the lack of ESP (VSC) - and one that has me looking strongly at the RX300. That, coupled with the MSRP and delays of the MDX make it a competition (for me; YMMV).

Luxury - much better in the RX IMHO - but I'm more of a utilitarian than a luxury man. Form following function, I can live with the less luxurious appointments of the MDX.

One question I have though - who makes the RX's navi system? The modified Alpine in the MDX looks *SWEET*.

Good luck,
    -John
  • Options
    drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    Hi Lisa,
    I cross-shopped these 3 cars (plus a coupla others) back in february. I think all three are decent vehicles. Here are the reasons why I decided to get the RX.
    1. The only reason anyone would get the HL over the RX is because it's cheaper. However, the HL is a fairly new model and you have to pay close to MSRP. A fully loaded HL is ~$5000 cheaper than a AWD RX w/Navigation. The RX is a better value considering that you're getting navigation, HID headlights, better sound system, more luxury, and better design inside/outside.

2. MDX is a great car, I won't argue against that. I really like the extra cargo room and the 3rd row of seats. However, in my opinion, it doesn't look very good from the back... the interior isn't very luxurious either. Plus, I wanted a white car, and they don't make white MDXs(isn't that weird??)...

3. I also looked at the Toyota 4-runner Limited (not enough horsepower & over-priced), Infiniti QX4 (didn't do well on safety test), Landrover Discovery (unreliable, high maintenance), MB ML320 (very over-priced if you add options), and BMW X5 (a great car, pricey though...). At the end, I only considered between ML320, RX300, X5, and 4-runner because those were the vehicles that performed well in the safety test. I think the RX looks the best, and it has the best value.

4. Personally, the turning radius doesn't bother me at all. I didn't even know the RX has a wide turning radius until I did some research online. As long as I can make a u-turn at the light, I'm satisfied. The cd-changer isn't a problem either. You'll probably put your owner's manual in your glove compartment anyways, so there won't be much room left.

*if you plan on getting the RX or the MDX, I recommend getting a navigation system. It's a very useful equipment. Also, check carsdirect.com for pricing on the vehicle. If you can get a price lower than their price, it's probably a fair deal. Have fun shopping!!
  • Options
    When I first got our Rex, I actually ran some tests with other MDX owners comparing the Navs. The bottom line is that the Lexus Nav database is the most complete (though not perfect) and had addresses and locations that the MDX didn't.

And the next update of the databse will make it even better!
  • Options
    izabelajohnizabelajohn Member Posts: 38
    Lisa, just my two cents on the turning radius and the location of the CD changer.
    Turning radius takes some getting used to especially if you are switching from a smaller easier to manouver car to the RX. But you do get used to it and parking is not a problem.
    Location of the CD changer never bothered me in the least but my husband and I are really not that big on music. Usually when we are both in the car on long family trips we agree on the selection of CDs up front or just listen to the radio. When I drive by myself I just load the cartridge and change the selections from time to time when I get bored with a present set. Getting an extra cartridge is a great suggestion - this way you'll have 12 CDs to choose from at any one time. The only thing you will not be able to do is to change the cartridges while driving.
    I got my RX before the MDX and the Highlander came out but test drove these two since then. I would only get a Highlander if money was an issue. After driving RX for a while, when you get into a Highlander there is that very strange mixed feeling you get of familiarity and expectations not met. The Highlander just feels like a close but poor relative of RX - there are a lot of similar traits but it is not the same level of comfort and luxury. Plus with RX you get Lexus service and warranty which to me is a plus.
    The MDX is a tough call. I personally like the ride quality better in RX, my husband would probably prefer the MDX. One thing we noticed is that because of the 3rd row of seats, MDX has less space and less comfortable 2nd row of seats than RX. As other people noticed, availability and pricing would play an important role in the choice between the two of them.
    Good luck in your shopping.
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Lisa,

Glad to see that you've sparked some interest on this board!

Our situation was close to yours. We had a '92 Dodge Caravan that we nicknamed "The Death Trap." Never will touch a Chrylser product again because "beauty is only skin deep."

Moving on, we have a 90# Giant Schnauzer that spends a lot of time in the back of our 2001 RX. He likes it there, but the A/C vents for the back are underpowered. We live in So.CA and it's a black RX with black interior so it does get toasty...

The back row of seats are always down bec of the dog. A second large dog (we used to have two Giants) would be a problem so now we're in a sequential mode of canine cohabitation.

In sum, the turning radius sucks. True, it doesn't come into play every day, but both my wife and I hate it (she drives the RX 95% of the time). I assume the next generation of RX with a longer wheelbase will resolve this issue.

As for the 6-CD changer in dash, we don't use it that much so it's a non issue for us.

The storage space is very limited with the canine in back; on a recent 1000 mile trip (to a dog show, what else?!), I had to invest in a soft rooftop carrier bag to hold some luggage that wouldn't fit inside - major hassle but it worked OK. By the way, what was Lexus' thinking in removing the roof rub strips under the roof rack, thereby promoting lots of paint scratching for any item not supported 100% by the crossbars? Dumb, dumber, and dumbest!

With all that being said, it's a great vehicle, especially after my wife came from a '92 Caravan and a '98 Mountaineer background. Prorating the rest of her first year with it, she'll log 18k miles - more than she ever drove the other vehicles.

So now you should be really confused!

Jeff
  • Options
    Something to consider in favor of the RX is the fact their rear seats have the capacity to be moved forward or backwards, just like the front seats.
    If your third person is a little tyke, you can move the back seats to their frontmost position, allowing for more cargo room in the back.
  • Options
    I'm going to guess, since you say you've been involved in a couple of skidding accidents, that you live in "snow" country.

I therefore assume that you are looking only at the AWD drive model. In that case the MDX, on the surface, will appear to be a better deal as it has the capability, automatically in some instances, to bias most of the torque to the rear wheels. The RX torque bias is normally 70/30 front/rear and can adjust to as much as 51/49 front/rear in slippery conditions. You will definitely experience torque steer in the RX, sometimes severely so, whereas the MDX automatically routes more torque to the rear in these same circumstances.

I currently have a 2001 RX, I traded up from the 2000 RX. In my analysis before I traded up the MDX definitely had the best overall power train arangement and the best AWD system.

For me it was the availibility of the HID headlamps that was really the deciding factor. I am now over sixty and my night vision is definitely beginning to fade. HID gives me and edge, for the moment, again this aging process.

The availibility of VSC and Trac, standard, on the RX leveled the playing field otherwise.

I likely would not have bought the Nav were it not a part of the "package" I had to include to get HID. My wife bought me an inexpensive portable GPS several years ago which I have found to have better map resolution in the remote areas where I am most likely to need GPS help.

A word about the Nav... NEVER trust it to get you safely into rural or sometimes close suburban areas. It LIES, even if it says it has plotted a route I have often had it "bail" at an intermediate point when it went off its map. Not a good Nav system to have in an SUV.
  • Options
    I owe you a Thanks! for a posting you made earlier this year. We were experiencing a rattle around the glove box area. I first thought it might be the air filter thingy that had been posted, but then I ran across your posting while reading the archives about the latch on the glove box. You recommended driving with the door open to see if the rattle disappeared, and sho nuff, it did! In retrospect, I should have known something was off as another vehicle I had been in had its glovebox almost close automatically, like the Caddy's trunk does. My Silversport's glovebox has to have a strong closing or it won't catch.

The customer relations person called me yesterday (regular followup) and she mentioned it to me (I had told the salesman I had a little rattle). When I confirmed that was correct, she logged it into the 'puter and when I go in for my 1k check, they'll look at it.

I think I'm going to like my service on the Rex. I just hope they don't go overboard with the "Is everything all right and to your liking?" schtick.
    Of course it's great! It's a Lexus!
  • Options
    rrabyrraby Member Posts: 10
    Lisa, I narrowed my choice back in January to the RX and the MDX. Features to me were basically a wash, so it ultimately came down to 3 factors for me: price, availability, and quality of service. First I'll give you my $0.02 on the turning radius and the CD changer, then you can skip my comments below (swiped from a post I made on the MDX board a few weeks back) if you like.

Nope, I certainly don't like the turning radius on the RX (can't imagine who would) but it simply didn't rise to the level of an impeachable offense for me. On the CD changer, I guess everything's relative. My previous vehicle was a '95 Volvo 850, and its changer was conveniently placed in the trunk. So to me the glovebox is a great location by comparison. All a matter of what you think you can live with. Cargo space, 3rd row seat, etc. were nonfactors for me since my wife and I are DINKs (with cats, not dogs). Now on to the factors that ultimately led me to the RX, if you're interested.

Price: In January, the Acura dealers here in the DFW area wanted a premium over sticker (it
    sounds like this is still a problem), which I wasn't willing to pay, especially since Lexus was
    dealing on the RX. So I bought the '01 RX FWD w/ Premium Package Plus. The MDX w/ Touring was nearly $5k more than the RX. And long-term, very few makes hold their value as well as Lexus.

Availability: There was a three month wait for the MDX when I bought, which from what I've seen on some of some forums has turned into an even longer wait for some unfortunate folks. The RX was immediately available. Couldn't see why I should wait a few months to pay more for a comparable vehicle.

Quality of Service: In the 5 years my wife has had her '96 ES300, we've been consistently
    wowed by the level of customer service our local Lexus dealerships give. They treat you like
    royalty, provide free loaners, free carwashes, pick up and deliver your vehicle for service, etc.
    Perhaps some Acura dealers do the same, but the one I was dealing with in Irving, TX did none
    of those things, and did nothing to try to earn my business. They really didn't seem to care
    whether I ever set foot in theor showroom again. I might as well have been in a Chevy dealership. Lexus earned my business, and they've been super to deal with in the 7 months I've had the RX.

Good luck!
  • Options
    jfetterjfetter Member Posts: 29
    Lisa,

I wont bore you with my own plus and minus checklist, you seem to have done your homework (you mentioned spreadsheet, heheh).

Turning Radius:
    ---------------
    Having a BMW Z3 that can turn around on a two lane road in one motion is probably the only reason the RX seemed so large. After driving it for the last few months I can honestly say I have had to do a 3-point turn one time, and that was only after getting into an ally that was blocked in DC. While it is absolutely large compared to the Z3, it is not a day / night difference with other SUV's. You should take the test drive again and swing by your house to be sure you are OK with the cul-de-sac but in my opinion, this is something you adjust your driving habits to accommodate for without thinking about it.

CD in glove box:
    ---------------
    To me, this is a great decision! Having the changer in the trunk (on the Z3) makes the simple task of changing magazines a total pain-in-the-[non-permissible content removed]. imaging you are on a long trip and want music? Get out, open the trunk, open the padded mounting case, blah, blah... I said years ago the place for this thing in in the car! Granted, they could have installed a CD changer that is in the dash and they could have put it under the seat (have to be the driver-side seat as the passenger-side has the 7'th speaker - sub woofer) but in all honesty, what else does one put in the glove box besides papers for the car.

My 2-cents...

Jfetter
  • Options
    I owned a 2000 Rx before I upgraded to the 2001 RX. The LCD, liquid crystal display, in the 2000 had a much greater functionality and overall usefullness in comparison to the 2001 GUI display when used for these ancillary display functions.

Were I to upgrade again I would insist on the LCd and the HID.

On my trip into the office today I paid more attention to the MDX's and X5's I saw. Both the MDX and the X5 have a more "muscular" look, ready for the work at hand, than does the RX. I think Lexus wanted a MiniVan "look", and they certainly achieved that!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
  • Options
    Lady Lisa- Just out of curiosity what are your complaints about the other vehicles your considering.

For the RX cd changer well Tony stole my thunder but carrying a spare cartridge is a good idea. The changer isn't hard to get at from the drivers seat. Turning radius as all will tell you is the RX's achilles heal take it out for another test drive and go to a street you would normally pull a U-turn (I think those are illegal) and see if you can live with the results.

ravl- glad I could help, Tony & Will are great with the rest of the vehicle I'll stick to the glove box. (I have a funny feeling that Will took his RX apart and put it all back together)

Tony the IS300 is sweet that could be my next car. Just made an inquiry to the dealer. New Lexus always cures those work blues (You know after you've put in over 60 hours/week and they still tell you to do more with less) and I have to dump all you older people and join my "teeny boopers" (damn I'm on a roll)
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    I have to disagree with those that say the Lexus looks much like a minivan. That distinction would have to go to the Mercedes M-Class, IMHO. :-)

The MDX's styling is much to derivative of other SUVs plus it's even based on a minivan (Odyssey).

The X5's are nice, I'll admit. But I believe my RX300 interior's much more luxurious and less spartan than the X5.

And lastly, just looking at the front and rear light clusters on the RX evokes a sense of technological artistry. It arguable that the lights alone is what I get comments on the most from admirers. The rest of the class just lacks the details which make them stand out, IMHO.
  • Options
    tariktarik Member Posts: 344
    Ravl, TC, Drew,

Yes, black Lexii are lacking the clear coat - it makes the color (?) shine more deeply, so I was told.

And yes, I just recently went through the agony of having to wait out the result of my dealer's paint shop capabilities.

Someone had thrown their driver's door into our Rex's passenger door, leaving a long (10mm) and ugly vertical mark all the way to the bare metal. After some freak at the dealer tried to "fix" it with a touch-up bristle (although the use of an airbrush was agreed upon), I had a serious talk with the SA and he decided to have it repaired correctly. They did a halfway decent job (very slight waves are still visible when the lighting conditions are right), but I accepted. They also told me that the door had been sprayed with clearcoat on top of the black paint, to avoid different discoloration down the road (wherever that theory comes from...). At this point, it was already done and I will have to wait and see. From a shiny-ness point of view, there is no visible difference, even in changing light.

At one point, I guess, you will just have to trust your dealer . And believe me, I am a really sensitive person when it comes to cars, but anyway... ...I lucked out...

Repainted Tarik
  • Options
    Yea, the new manual IS300 is sweet. It's nice to see a quality vehicle spank the Beemer's butt in terms of handling and fun to drive.

Don't you live in the NY area? Who's your dealer?
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the Rex getting trauma. Hope the paint job works.
  • Options
    CT. I've dealt with McDermott & Lexus of Westport, which I e-mailed today and they stated that the 02'IS is on the way unfortunately no carryover of the programs being offered (High performance Lease and/or Golden Opportunity/Ticket/Whatever).
  • Options
    Cool, I hear it will be here soon (within this month). The new ES300 also looks great also and they pulled all the "LS" features into the model as options.

I can't believe I can't anybody to meet up in Yonkers Sunday for the Motor Trend/Caddy test drive challenge. Get to knock around Beemers, Lexii, Lincolns, Caddies, etc. Oh well, I'll probably go unless something comes up. I need a car fix since I ain't buying for awhile.
  • Options
    Motor Trend test drive what, when (time)and where(yonkers duh) and how $$$
  • Options
    http://www.motortrend.com/feb01/drive/drive_f.html

It's free. I believe I'm signed-up for 11am Sunday. Not too early and allows me to get the drive out of the way and then enjoy the rest of the day.

• Options
    ashoknaga1ashoknaga1 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a RX300 navigational system. When the car is turned off,
    a small puddle of water seems to be collecting due to dripping from the
    air conditioner. When I call up the dealer, he says it is quite normal
    for a car with such air-conditioning. Any comments?
  • Options
    Uhh, where is the puddle exactly?
  • Options
    spakcharspakchar Member Posts: 37
    I've read all road tests ever published, and they don't do the car justice. I read things like sluggish, feels underpowered on hills, stuff like that. I believed it too until I had about 5k miles or so on mine. Something happened at this stage, and the car seemed to get quicker and more powerful. After 2 road trips from AZ to NC, I can say that no one will be dissappointed with the RX 300 ultimate performance. I drive at high speeds, usually set the cruise to 85, at these speeds the car seems to hunker down and is extremely stable and quiet. If you need to go faster it will accelerate quickly up to 110 or so.
    I've "played" with other suvs on the road and the RX is (at least) as fast as any of them, including the accura and the germans. Have I had a few hairy moments at these speeds? You bet, but they never went past hairy to scary, mainly because of the cars great brakes, stability and maneuverability. The RX is definitely not underpowered once it is broken in, those reveiws were almost certainly done with brand new models.
    Other cars in its class might have more HP but that translates into better towing and cargo capacity, and not better acceleration or faster cruising. BTW, on my last cc trip I averaged over 19 mpg, hard to beat. If I drove the speed limit it would be about 24mpg.
    I'm biased, after 15k miles the only problem I've had is that damn rear cupholder. I have a bud who has a Highlander, and he paid 33k for it, a nice car but the longer lexus warranty is probably worth the 4k price differential right there. I much prefer the looks of my silver/black RX.
    As for the so called advantage of the 3rd row of seats; I don't get it. I've yet to see one that isn't a total joke (except in a suburban), I wouldn't put my dogs back there let alone my children.
  • Options
    silly1040silly1040 Member Posts: 48
    I'm not an a/c expert but the a/c does take moisture out of the air, and this moisture must go some place (dripping on the ground).

I live in the desert and didn't notice the water dripping until I drove to a humid climate. The more humid it was the more water that dripped. The reduced humidity combined w/ the cool air made the RX very enjoyable in a not so enjoyable climate.

I noticed the same effect on other vehicles in this humid areas.
  • Options
    drummerboydrummerboy Member Posts: 30
    ashoknaga1,
    Don't worry a bit!! I have the same vehicle as you and I also noticed the puddle. I'm not sure if it only happens to cars with navigation. During my 1K service, the dealer said it's normal. Like Silly1040 said, this is caused by condensation. The puddle does look rather large. However, you will find similar puddles under a LS430.
    I just had my 7,500 mile service at Longo Lexus in Los Angeles. Their service is amazing!! Because I needed my car to drive to San Diego the next day, they allowed me to pick up my car at 11:30 at night (they have people working until 1:00 every night)!! Now THAT's great service!!
  • Options
    waterp7waterp7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Do any of you know where I can find the Genuine original Lexus HID headlight system for a 2001 RX300 because the dealers were only putting the lights in cars with navigation ( an option i decided to negate). So please if anyone has any ideas, email me at waterp7@hotmail.com ... oh and also... would I need to install the entire headlamp housing?
  • Options
    waterp7waterp7 Member Posts: 2
    Hey once again,

Do any of you know from experience what the true top speed of the car is...since all of you have been driving this car for a while...I know it can't be just 112 mph because the engine still feels strong at around 90 without much pedal effort. Please reply to this post asap...and my other one above this one....thanks!