Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• mooretorquemooretorque Posts: 241
    raddboy41, dealer can program your locks as part of the CBEST.
  • finch3finch3 Posts: 113
    I took off the Good year Integrity tires and put on the Michelin LTX. The LTX is a much better tire with a more aggressive looking tread. I can't say that either is quitter. There are very view SUV tires for your purpose. You should check out the new Michelin tire designed for SUV. I think it's the Cross Terrain or something like that. Go to www.tirerack.com and do all the research you can stand. You have to avoid the expensive and grippy passenger tires. They can be so sticky on corners that the tip over rate is much greater for a higher standing SUV.
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    This has been discussed ad nauseam in the past. Unless something has changed, that option is unfortunately NOT available on the RX Customized Body Electronics System!

Pete
  • pknguyenpknguyen Posts: 3
    Hello All,
    I got my '01 RX300 for $36K out-the-door (all fees and taxes are included)with premium package, leather, wood steering, everything except NAV. at JM lexus in Miramar, florida (Ft. Lauderdale area. List was about 41K, minus 15K discount from lexus, final MSRP about 38K, I paid 36K!
    Good luck all.
  • pknguyenpknguyen Posts: 3
    JM lexus from coconut, FL (Ft. Lauderdale area), not from Miramar, FL.
  • peterfxpeterfx Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have a 99 RX300. When either one of the back windows is partially open, and I'm driving over 20 mph, there is a helicopter like sound (due to pulsating air circulation I suppose). I asked the dealer about it, and he said that is 'normal'. The sound is real loud, so that you need to immediately close the window to make it stop. Do others get that sound?
  • shoperellashoperella Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Lexus is still offering the $1500 rebate for the luxury package on an RX300 that I've read about on this board? Where can I find out more if so?? Thanks for all your help.
  • h2ok9h2ok9 Posts: 3
    Hi all--

My apologies if this has been discussed before, but I scrolled back pretty far and didn't see anything, so here goes--

I just purchased a used '99 RX 300, which I really love--(it had only 17K miles on it, so I consider it nearly new!). I've filled up twice now, and waited until the gas gauge is very nearly empty, but each time, it has only taken 14.3 gal. to fill it. Now, according to the specs, the tank is supposedly 17.2 gal. So, do I still, in fact, have almost 3 full gallons left, even with the gauge reading empty? When I fill the tank, the gauge does go up to the top, so I don't think there is a problem on that end. Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks in advance--
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 373
    Unfortunately, it is normal.
  • outrunoutrun Posts: 539
    I pressed the left and right buttons, got the rapid blink, and tried to program them again using the Lexus manual. Pressed the "Learn" button on the opener, pressed the control on the Homelink 2-3 times (slowly). Nothing still.

I'm beginning to think the Homelink in my RX is defective. Can they swap the visor at the dealership somewhat easily?

-Craig
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Posts: 45
    It's actually not a rebate as much as it is a discount of the various packages that appears directly on the window sticker. There was some talk that the discount would end 4/30 and that only vehicles with the discount appearing on the sticker would be eligible. I ordered mt RX mid March and the price reflected the rebate/discount.
    Whether it is still in effect I do not know.
    My RX is supposed to be delivered 5/7, one can only hope.

Mark
    It's not a rebate. It's a "discount" directly on the MSRP sticker. It should have nothing to do with you negotiating the price, as you should be working off invoice, not sticker. The invoice is the same with or without this package discount.

When we purchased our RX in early April, it had a $1,500 discount for a bunch of options grouped together. But in the end, we worked off invoice price, so it made no difference.

-Craig
  • malhokcmalhokc Posts: 83
    Just recieved weather mats from lexuspartsmall. I must they they are a perfect fit. Exact cut of the carpeted mats. Available in Oak or Gray. The front are $38.25 and back $29.75+ $10 S/H ($78 total). These are All-Weather Heavy Duty Rubber Floor Mats with "L" logo on each mat. Received mine in 2 days after ordering. Very satisfied
  • silly1040silly1040 Posts: 48
    I think, I might know the problem. I had a few problems programing my rolling code remote. Try using the middle button on the visor for the remote that has the rolling code. Ours has been working great.
    I'll try using the middle button, but I truly don't see why it would matter.

Also, did any of you have the ignition to the "on" position while programming it? The Homelink site mentioned something about some vehicles requiring that, but I didn't see it in the RX manual.

-Craig
  • cassiricassiri Posts: 40
    To H2oK9 and Peterfx. I also have a 99rx300 and both of you are experiencing normal traits of the car. It has a small gas tank. Since my wife drives it, I have never attempted to run it seriously low in an attempt to see what the true tank capacity is. I have put 16 gallons in at the most, but normally after driving with the light on it takes 14 or so. I think Lexus is very conservative with the low fuel light.

The chopper sound is also normal and you will hear the same comment from anyone driving an SUV for that matter. Open more than one window (even just a crack will do). No other solution I know of, as it's a big box aerodynamics issue.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    to sooner7:

When I get in the RX in the AM I imediately twist/spin the temp level to max and only turn it down to a normal level after the cabin begins to feel comfortable. Even in this mode the blower will not run (except in defrost mode) until the engine water jacket rises to 130F.

But in truth I do think you have some sort of failure mode in your RX HVAC. It is very likely that the "mixing vane" is hanging up or getting stuck in the low "reheat" position.

Whenever the OAT is above 35F, ALL of the air entering the HVAC system is first dehumidified by first CHILLING it, passing it through the A/C evaporator. SOME of this chilled airflow is then REHEATED by passing it through the heater core.

The percentage of total airflow to be reheated is controlled by a mixing vane which directs a proportional amount of the airflow exiting the chiller through the heater core depending on the desired/computed temperature of the system's final exit airflow.

If the mixing vane cannot swing full tilt, ALL chilled airflow reheated, then the symtoms you relate would probably occur.

In 2005 TRW will introduce a system that measures MRT (Mean Radiant Temperature) and will adjust the system based on true human body environmental effects.

Till then... TURN UP THE HEAT!!!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Try opening the sunroof of a 911/996 at 150 plus.

This "buffeting" sound has been around even since cars were first "closed" and thus needed windows.

Close the windows or buy ear plugs, your choice.
  • mooretorquemooretorque Posts: 241
    Instead of thinking of that low frequency buffeting as annoying, try the mindset of : I'm driving a big Lexus musical instrument with a very low resonant frequency. Yeah, that's the ticket.....I'm driving a Lexus pipeorgan!!!!
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Has anyone installed one of these on their Rex? If so, did you like it? Was it easy to install? Where did you get it from?

I've got two stone chips in the front and I dont's need anymore. What's even more noticeable is that a black Rex is white underneath the topcoat.

Thanks,
    TC