Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    Snow chains are designed for extremely severe weather. The RX300, on the other hand, as well as 98% of the vehicles out there, are not designed for extremely severe weather. Proceed at your own risk.

And Willy, I don't think many AWD, four wheel drive, etc. are going to fair well on "oil-slicked streets". This sounds like something out of a Batman movie.

The AWD on an RX300 is designed (obviously) many on-road circumstances. Dry, sand, moderate snow, rain, etc. It is NOT designed to climb Mt. Washington in the middle of the winter. Sorry Willy, but neither of your RX's would make it up.

If the RX is such a compromise on all fronts of life, why did you buy two?

-Craig
  • Options
    perry46033perry46033 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my CPO 2000 and I love it. It is a little different than my old Legend, but it is a beautiful car. One thing I noticed is the brakes are very touchy. Is this normal and I am just used to my old car. The other is turning radius. I have 2001 loaner today so they can finish the last bit of work on it and the '01 seems to turn a lot sharper and brakes seem a bit stiffer (more to my liking) Anyone have experience with this?
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    is a really subjective term....

By oil slicked streets I mean the first rain in LA after a long dry spell during which all of the oil droppings from the many vehicles traveling the highways accumulate.

And sorry again, I guess after 40 years here in the Seattle area I've grown use to our "extremely severe weather" onditions in our nearby mountain passes and oftentimes here on the eastside itself.

But that's actually okay, I can always put snowchains on the rear drive wheels of my 911 or my GS300 then I don't really need the use of the RX300 if I want to go to Yakima, snow skiing, or even get the five miles to work on a heavy snow day.

Outrun: I can't figure out if you're fifteen years old or just lack any real world experience. The post I was responding to might have been from Alaska and unless you have actually experienced wintertime driving around Anchorage or Fairbanks there is really no way you can appreciate the need for an AWD system that is truly up to the task at hand.

And the RX300 just isn't it.

But with very few design changes it could be...

Redesign the rear suspension so that there is enough clearance for snowchains.

"Stiffen" the VC to make the RX a true AWD and then add an over-running clutch (like the T&C) so the front braking doesn't affect the rear braking.

Chrysler also uses a dog-clutch so to lock the over-running clutch in reverse so the T&C remains AWD when backing up, but I don't care either way about that.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I guess my 20 years of living in Anchorage driving only FWD vehicles counts for nothing :-)

Of course my friends in Fairbanks would say that Anchorage doesn't have "winter". Slow down and drive what you like (ymmv).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    DealersEdge.com Daily Briefing
    Updated for February 12, 2002

Good news for Toyota dealers: Finally some warranty work

One of the noteworthy items in a review of Toyota dealer financial statements is the relatively low level of warranty revenue to the service department. That may be about to change, if only for a short time. Toyota Motor Corp. said that it is sending letters to 3.3 million Toyota owners in the U.S. in hopes of resolving a potential engine problem.

Faced with a steady stream of complaints from customers who say their Toyota and Lexus engines are gumming up with sludgy motor oil, Toyota is offering to pay the costs for repairing sludge damage when car owners can provide proof that they changed the oil in their cars at least once a year.

The policy adjustment covers Toyota and Lexus models from 1997 to the present equipped with the company's 3.0-liter V-6 engine or its 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine. Those engines are used in most of the factory’s high-volume models such as the Toyota Camry, Solara and Avalon cars, Sienna minivan, Highlander SUV and the Lexus RX300 SUV and ES300 sedan.

A Toyota spokesman declined to speculate on the potential cost to Toyota but said many of the engine problems could be repaired by simply changing the oil several times to flush the sludge (note to Toyota dealers: how much do you charge for an oil change?) "A valve job might be the most expensive thing. An engine replacement would be very rare," the spokesman said.
  • Options
    Studded snow tires all around...???

And how many times each winter do/did you resort to tire chains?

I know Anchorage wintertime weather isn't as bad as Fairbanks but don't I remember having to use snow chains to just get out of the hotel parking lot and over to mcd's for breakfast?

• Options
    Willy,

I'm 30, and have lived in the Northeast for all 30 years. I've never been to California, Seattle, nor Alaska. I have been to Canada a few times.

Once again, the RX300 is not designed to be driven in an "Alaska Winter", as you put it. If you say a vehicle in Alaska must have a "robust 4WD system", then go take your T&C and drive all you want. Just be sure to carry your AAA card so when it breaks down, you'll have a tow.

If I lived in an area where I know I'd be driving in conditions that require chains, I'd sure as heck check before I'd buy a vehicle (two in your case) that it could actually use chains. And knowing that you're the "know all, be all" of the RX300 AWD system, why in sam hill did you buy two of these "junkers" knowing that you live in Seattle, home of the worst weather in the country?

-Craig
  • Options
    No, that'd be Cut Bank Montana.

Because I mistakenly trusted Lexus not to knowingly and intentionally SCREW me. The RX300 AWD system is now acknowledged as a "simple HACK" by everyone knowledgeable of 4WD systems.

When I bought the 2000 AWD I was told that its "normal" torque distribution mode was 70/30 F/R, and would go to 50/50 under adverse conditions. That of course proved not to be true.

I upgraded to the 2001 RX300 becuase I was told the TRAC would make it equal to the ML series for AWD functionality.

It doesn't, not even close.

And yes, I'm totally responsible, myself alone, for not reading the owners manual more thoroughly, it just simply never occurred to me that a vehicle built by Lexus with AWD would not have the ability to have chains installed and used safely. Actually I was so trusting of Lexus (and/or stupid) that I went out and bought two sets of tire chains before I sat down and read that section of the owners manual.

Oh, Seattle is actually something of a temperate climate, but average snowfall 30 minutes to the east is 200"
  • Options
    Willard,

You seem like an educated man. You seem like you've purchased many cars in the past. You seem like you're not a young whipper snapper.

You actually TRUSTED a salesman? Not trusting a car salesman is rule number 1. Actually, that's a "given" before the rules of car buying were written.

That's not all. You actually trusted a car salesman TWICE. First for the 2000 RX300, in which you were told the torque split was 70/30, and can go to 50/50. Then a year later, you believed them when they said that the VSC, TRAC, etc. would make it equal to an ML in AWD performance.

First time, shame on them. Second time, shame on you.

-Craig
  • Options
    lol, the McD's parking lots could be difficult ... on foot. Better to use the drive-thru oft times.

I had studs for about 12 of the 20 years there. I have chains and only recall two specific times I used them - prolly used them 6 or 8 times total (in 20 winters, not 8 times a winter).

I didn't live on a steep hillside but I did go to the passes skiing a lot (the road to Arctic Valley could get dicey). Maybe the people in your neck of the woods don't know how to maintain the winter roads as well.

I don't seem to have any trouble getting my FWD minivan with all season tires up to the local resort here in Boise though (so far anyway - touch wood!).

AWD/4x4 vehicles are a great tool - years ago I had one. But they aren't a panacea for all conditions.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    gsenthilgsenthil Member Posts: 154
    Dont know about the acceleration numbers, but the 2001 has Brake Assist that 2000 didnt have. But I dont know if that would affect the stiffness. The 2001 also has water repellant windows which I appreciate a lot in Seattle!

Senthil
  • Options
    Haven't skied there for many years now, have a good friend in Nyssa, if you see a 79 911 Targa running around with "NYSSA" plate be sure and say hello.

Road maintenance is more than okay, we just imported too many californians who don't have a clue, they think the throttle is the answer to everything. You often need chains to get around them after they spin out in the road or in the ditch.

If you live in Alaska you don't have any choice but to know what the wintertime driving rules are, regretably not so in Seattle.

outrun/salesman.

I bought my first Lexus in late 91, a new 92 Ls400, stayed with the same salesman until he recently relocated to Oxnard, none of this was his fault. Regarding Lexus' supplied information on the RX300, reminds me of my USAF recruiter in 57, didn't lie, but certainly with held some of the important details.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Maybe the people in your neck of the woods don't know how to maintain the winter roads as well.

Damage to roads is extreme with the frequent and rapid freeze-thaw cycles characteristic of the more temperate climates and virtually impossible to maintain. Anchorage doesn't have that rapid variation.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • Options
    Bogus is a great place. I can assure you that many, many Alaskans have no clue about winter driving, especially after the first snowfall of the winter :-)

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    vzinvzin Member Posts: 11
    Thanks everyone who responded to my questions re pricing in NY/NJ area.

danrx, I have not checked Ray Catena yet, going to stop by on this long weekend. Which Ray Catena did you use? I think they have two locations. The $36200 I got was at Difeo in Bridgewater, NJ and Bay Ridge Lexus in Brooklyn, NY.

Rpawlax98, Bay Ridge lexus might be closer to you than NJ dealerships. You might want to speak with them on the phone before, ask for Mike Pecorino and tell him the price you want to get before going there.

I hope to own a new rx300 this weekend. I'll post here to let know how the transaction went.
  • Options
    onebadc5onebadc5 Member Posts: 7
    Lexus is getting what they deserve, for trying to brush off loyal customers. Shame on them.
  • Options
    zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    I have to disagree about the RX300's Nav system being 1. better than the BMW's, and 2. Good for its purpose.

1st, the 2002 NAVTEC nav system uses data from 2000.1. This is very old and has one-tenth of the data that NAVTEC puts on the BMW system, which is Version 2001.2)

2nd, it depends on what one's purpose for the Nav system is. If it is just to amuse the driver, that is fine. But, if one wants to use it to find addresses, it is not very good.
  • Options
    Is about survival of the fittest, only.

It will serve to weed out those that try to use it while driving and regrettably some innocents will also not survive.

Updates will be useless without some serious firmware attention.
  • Options
    zielinwzielinw Member Posts: 83
    I agree about the need to update the firmware. Do you think the average user of the Nav system is contented with the system as it works today?
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Just get a Land-Rover Defender 110 and then you'll have your traction.

=P
  • Options
    That eventually a car mounted non-portable GPS/Nav will be considered an overly expensive NOVELTY and will be abandoned by the marketplace.
  • Options
    would serve my traction purposes but no longer appeals for other reasons.

Sure wish the RX had the ML drive train.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    http://isuzu-suvs.com/events/pb02-17-01/index.html

A Light off-road event in Southern New Jersey! Come enjoy the trails!

-mike

• Options
    alden168alden168 Member Posts: 6
    Steveeeee...... I got my SUV w/o NAV for 33870.00, MSRP 37180.00. The salesman included a 595.00 on P.O. He mention this is the acquisition charge of the leasing company. Does is sound right. My drive off and down comes to 3k with payments of 442.00/48 months /15k yr miles and lastly Residual is about 19k. Is this a good deal?
  • Options
    hzhaohzhao Member Posts: 28
    For those of you might be interesting, NEW RX will be arriving in Spring of 2003. It will be using a new 3.3L V6 and will be 11 inches longer than current model. There will be no third row seats, as this will be remaining only for GX and LX. No other details are available at this time.
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    Could you give the source of this information? website? news release? Any photos? Thanks.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Looking over at auto.com, came upon this story take a look, they realize there is a sludge problem on 4 and 6 cyl engines

http://WWW.AUTO.COM/targetnews/articles/Automotive/02_12_2002.reutr-story-N12210903.html
  • Options
    I can not reveal the source due to its confidentiality. But I can tell you this is from the recent corp/dealer meeting. Photo and other detail specs has not yet made available to dealer at this time.
  • Options
    danrxdanrx Member Posts: 13
    vzin,
    If Bay Ridge is giving you $36,200 that sounds pretty good to me but then again I am out of the pricing loop since I am not a shopper. Make sure you find out and compare the TOP (Total Outta Pocket). I went to difeo also, they were extremely professional and treated me well but they did not match Ray Catena's price and I live 20 minutes from Ray Catena (Oakhurst, NJ). Positive things have been posted about both RayCat locations. You can call Mike Barrone @ Ray Catena and chat w/ him tell him Danny R sent ya. Honestly I don't know how much further they will come down from your price.
    Good luck this weekend
  • Options
    Any news about whether the flaccid VC will be upgraded to one that can really rise to the occassion when/if needed?

And how about rear suspension clearance for snow chains, will they fix that?
  • Options
    ges1ges1 Member Posts: 10
    While this is only my fifth winter here, its my first with the RX AWD after four with an Explorer AWD. The RX is far superior. My FWD Saab 9000 pales in comparison. Since today is one of the worst of the current winter, my opinion is quite fresh. Being an Upper Hillsider, I only wish I had two more RX's for me and my teenage son.
  • Options
    Neither items were mentioned at this time. My feelings were probably not. I don't think those are high demanding issues within the buying group.
  • Options
    I feel that the buying group the RX300 is targeted at is moms with 1.5 children.

Am I correct?

How else could you explain the pocket book holder below the shift lever?

-Craig
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    And the purse holder was a major selling point for the evil wife.
    Hate to say it, but it's a chick car...Lexus/Toyota designers hit the nail on the head with this one.
    $36,200 sounds like a very good price to me! I wish I had done that well!
    D'OH!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    dunaldunal Member Posts: 3
    A while ago I came across a site for Lexus cars (www. ???lexus.com) which posted some 2003 RX300 photos/info & carries a fairly extensive discussion board for all Lexus models, lost my book mark page & hope anybody here can offer a hint for that web address......

Thanks,
  • Options
    karen_tnkaren_tn Member Posts: 22
    Are you talking about www.clublexus.com???
  • Options
    csvipersahcsvipersah Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone had any experiences with Difeo Lexus? They're my closest lexus dealership.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I purchased 2 RX300's from Victor at DiFeo and was very pleased with the whole process. They couldn't match the price I had from Ray Catena but came close enough.
    Service has been very good, except for their 4 attempts to fix my clicking sunroof, which still clicks. Service is also very expensive like most Lexus dealers.
  • Options
    kmhkmh Member Posts: 143
    That site is: www.clublexus.com and just go to forums under RX300.

However, the picture was proven to be a "photoshopped" image - a fake.
  • Options
    In other words the RX is just another minivan?

Toyota salesman just told me that the highlander was a replacement for the discontinued Camry station wagon.....
  • Options
    ravlravl Member Posts: 129
    It's a six pack holder. There. You guys that drive RX300's feel better now?

It's all in how you package the feature. Think six pack holder from now on...

As to the RX being a chick car, my husband and I discussed this a while back. He thought only women drove them. When it was put to the test, we saw A LOT of men driving them.

There's not many segments of the car market that are truly macho male type vehicles. My husband's Grand Prix qualifies as a guy car. A lot of trucks still holler 'guy'. But even that is changing with lots of chicks driving trucks now.

I know there's other 'guy' cars out there. You know, the ones we chicks haven't infiltrated yet. muwahahahahahahaha.
  • Options
    frankrizzofrankrizzo Member Posts: 67
    I didn't get it on my RX300 when it was new, and would like to add it now.

I found one place through a quick net search for $397, what's the best price you guys have seen?
  • Options
    mooretorquemooretorque Member Posts: 241
    and that's why most cars with a stick will be seen being driven by guys.....guess you can't put on makeup and shift at the same time. ;)
    (Now I will be kicked black and blue by a women with left legs made strong by use of a clutch, but in general, chicks and sticks don't mix.)
  • Options
    Seeing men driving an RX300 doesn't necessarily mean that it's THEIR main vehicle. On the weekends, I drive the RX with my wife and toddler in the back seat. Doesn't mean that it's my main ride (I drive a '96 Accord EX during the week - gotta love the power of a small I4 engine with auto!). The RX is her car, but on the weekends, she prefers that I drive.

I would never buy an RX300. It's just too feminine for me. Cushy ride, pocket book holder, cute looking, etc. Not that a '96 Accord screams "I am man". I inheritated that vehicle from my wife when we got married, although my next vechile is probably going to be a Subaru WRX (wagon, of course).

During the week, if I have to go to the supermarket, I take the RX since it's much easier to pack things in the back as opposed to stuffing it in the back seat of the Accord (the trunk is full of junk).

Also, there are a ton of guys driving "minivans" to work. Does that mean that a minivan is a "guy" car? Hardly. Not even a silly Caravan Sport. Sport? Minivan? I think Chrylser needs to wake up.

-Craig
  • Options
    vzinvzin Member Posts: 11
    Hi Danny,
    thanks for your tip to contact Ray Catena. I did call the guy you pointed out and he said that they'd give me a price under $36 K which is even lower than what I've got so far. He does remeber you (he actually asked me who gave me his name).
    They seem to be less flexible about my trade-in though but at least they were sincere to tell me that and they gave me prety tight price range for my trade-in. As soon as I figure out how to get rid of my old car (hate to go through selling on my own ) I'm going to Ray Catena and making my purchase.
    Thanks again,
    VadimZ.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    My self and some previous posters have used the HiddenHitch #70777. It's a quality unit with a perfect fit and easy install. It cost about $110 from www.bageco.com, www.1800hitchit.com, and others.
    If you need the wiring harness www.toyotaguys.com sells a connector that plugs into the existing harness in the black plastic housing under your spare tire. There have been some previous posts about some problems with this connector on pre 2001 RX's. Don't know what the deal is there.
  • Options
    When I bought my 78 911 Targa there was no question that it was a GUY car.

Here it is 2001 and I drive my wife to work every day and take her home at night in the vehicle of her choice, a 2001 AWD RX300. But, that's not to say that I wouldn't make the same choice most of the time.

Times have changed, she is just as willing, or maybe even moreso, to drive the 78 flat out across Montana or Wyoming. As the SP goes by the other direction "signing" her to slow down she gives them that friendly wave and gets away with it every time.

Sorry guys, I think the only GUY vehicle left might be a Cat or Dozer.
  • Options
    The way I figure it:

Guys:
    LS430 (stuffy old men)
    SC430 (stuffy old men who pretend to be young)
    GS300/430 (middle age men)
    IS300 (young men)

Girls:
    RX300
    ES300

Gender Neutral:
    LX470

-Craig
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,735
    Did you ever work for an insurance company located in Wellesley?

All this talk of loaded AWD RX300s for ~$36k is killing me! I thought I had a good deal beating Edumnds TMV and carsdirect.com. Guess not.
    D'OH!

Our RX is my wife's. I only drive it when it needs service as the Lexus dealer is on my way to work. The evil wife did drive a stick for 10 years ('92 Nissan Sentra SE-R, '95 Saab 900s), but she said she had grown weary of rowing her own boat and the undeniable cuteness (to her, at least)and slushbox of the RX made it a fait a compli...

Funny story: The evil wife goes to Germany on business for two weeks (during Octoberfest. Life is tough). She is travelling with 4 guys. They have a rental car in Germany. Turns out to be an Audi A4 manual. None of the guys can drive a stick, so my wife is the chauffer for the whole stay! Which was actually fortuitous as five had to stuff into an A4!
    She actually loved the A4 but when it came time for me to buy a new car and I had decided on the A4, she declared it too small and used her veto power. I, happily, ended up with a Chrysler 300M which is FAR from too small!
    Evil.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    Never worked for an insurance company, nor have I worked in Wellesley. Did live in Waltham up until a few years ago, though.

-Craig