Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz M-class (ML320, ML350, ML500 and ML55) 2005 and earlier

Comments

• djdjdjdj Member Posts: 111
    The service tech called today and sounded sick on the phone so I knew it was bad news; clearly she didn't want to talk to me. Last week it was a call for $1,560 to replace one catalytic converter and now they realize both need to be replaced. Her consolation was offering a 15% discount on the second. 84K miles so they said it passed the Starmark coverage. I told the service manager to have Mercedes call me. We'll see how long that takes, can be weeks for all I care.

And this is yet another major expense not covered by Starmark. If Mercedes spent as much money on quality control as they did on advertising these cars would be worth it.

My brother-in-law dumped his ML for a BMW X5 after his ML needed repair after repair. His wife said they just got to the point of ignoring the warning lights because something was always lighting up. I don't think he had his two years.

As soon as the service situation is over, I'm trading this in on anything. Nothing could be as bad as this. I've never had a car that spent this much time in the shop.
  • brown38brown38 Member Posts: 7
    From what I have heard, if you are the original owner and it goes out of warranty, they will replace the balancer if you tell them to do it after a failure. If the vehicle is bought used or if you don't know to ask, then you will get the shaft to go with the new balancer.
  • tc152tc152 Member Posts: 2
    Someone stole the Large Star emblem from the front grill of my 2002 ML320. Does anyone know where can I get a replacement?
  • tc152tc152 Member Posts: 2
    I am NOT referring to the one on the hook or the trunk.
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Tc, you can get a new emblem at the dealer and surprisingly, they are not expensive... I think less that $20. My friend had to replace one on his 500sl and it was $18 a few years ago. They are just plastic.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Quality control isn't offered on ML class. It's not even an option.

How valuable are airbags when the vehicle is in the shop all the time?

MB acknowledged the 100s of defects, but refuses to make the recalls!
  • chumsaechumsae Member Posts: 61
    Here is our experience with 2000 ML320:

Windshield washer tank replaced 37,000 warranty
    Front and rear wiper blades 37,000 warranty
    brakes f/r w/disks 37,000 $800
    front seat plastic aprons fixed 44,000 warranty
    battery failed 46,000 warranty
    brakes f/r 54,000 $750
    hood struts 74,000 $200
    A/C compressor 76,000 $1450

I have occasionally seen the ESP light come on
    and stay on until restarted. I have twice had the
    radio jump to max volume. The rectangular spare
    tire access cover on the back bumper doesn't hold
    shut (couple of plastic hooks are broken). The CD
    changer failed on a very hot day, but gradually
    has returned to normal.

Our Lexus LS400 has been more trouble free, but not perfect. We now have 185,000 and replaced the A/C twice. Have a couple of broken window/lock switches. The time/temp LCD display failed at 65,000, the remote entry failed at 80,000. Driver's door key slot no longer functional. Still has original exhaust, shocks, struts.

We live in the sunbelt. I wonder if the catalytic
    converter failure is in a salt-belt state?
    I don't know if the catalytic converter problem is chronic in snow belt states, or just in ML's with mileage over 80K (mine has 84K). MBUSA's attitude is "tough luck we don't cover it". It should be about $3,500 to pick it up from the dealer tomorrow. I am sure they'll enjoy my presence in their showroom too.

My repair list looks like yours; short version:
    new g-sensor (the car went back the third day I had for 10 days)
    two radios, one on warranty, one for $800;
    one CD changer on them;
    suspension struts, under warranty at 84K miles;
    front ball joints, under warranty (that was comforting to learn) about 76K miles;
    window switch (I am sure everyone has had that one done at least once);
    almost time for the brakes again (%$#& that);
    here's a good on, a few hundred dollars to rebuild the rear gate latch and lock;
    they rebuilt the folding mechanism on the right rear seat three times on warranty;
    SRS sensor on door on warranty.

To anyone thinking of buying one of these, run, don't walk, out the showroom.

They have had my car for 1 1/2 weeks. As a loaner they gave me a 2005 ML350 Special Edition with 800 miles (it will have 1,400 by the time they get it back). Thoughts on this one:
    More power, especially under hard acceleration (do they have break-in periods?) at higher rpms.
    Rougher ride, accents all the bumps, small and large.
    Same inconvenient radio location with no steering wheel controls but at least speakers on the doors at mirror level.
    Auto temp, single zone, works good sometimes (though not last night).
    Poor windshield wiper blades (800 miles and this car's blades streak!).
    Yeah, it would be a great car to crash in, but as C J Gordon, what good does that do you if its in the shop.

One plus note, I got a new SLK320 loaner one time that was very nice; enjoyed that a lot; also pretty sure that didn't need a break-in period either. I think it had a bad g-sensor already. Secret was to tell the Service Tech that I wanted one without blinking or unclenching my teeth and then waiting in the showroom while he went to ask; I got the dealer manager's car. I think my fax to MBUSA the month after I got a Starmark'd car telling them how many problems it was delivered with didn't hurt either.

So, if anyone here just bought a Starmark'd car and has problems, involve MBUSA early. If you buy a new car, it's the factory's fault; if you bought a Starmark'd car and have problems, it is the dealer's fault for deliverying that way and they get in trouble for doing that; at the very least they don't like being ratted out.
    Djdj, wow, I have had only minor adjustments on my 2002 ML500 which currently has 31,300 miles. I don't think your situation is the norm. Yes, there are a few adjustments that have to be made occaisionally, but I wouldn't tell someone to "run away" from the Merdedes dealer. Every manufacturer has their share of problem cars but Mercedes are generally good and trouble free. I have 5 Mercedes currently in my household and 1 Rolls.

A good friend of mine who has a 2003 Honda Accord has had more problems on his than I've had on my ML. He has had radio problems, a trunk latch problem, a CV joint problem and has become disgusted since this is his third Honda Accord. The others were really good with only a minor problem here and there.

Since we have had many Mercedes products the last few years, I was thinking of trying a different brand just have something different.

You know these boards have a tendency to attract negative information, you have to weigh the problems for your own use.

Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
    Originally I felt the same way you did. The ML drove great and had fantastic seats. I wanted to love this car and keep for the 250,000km badge.

The first bad experience occurred the third(!) day I had the Starmark'd car when the g-sensor went. Actually it had gone already but the dealer's mechanic didn't follow procedures and ignored the warning sign when they certified it. I couldn't believe they had a procedure for this kind of problem but the service manager told me that part on the ML goes out a lot so they have to be prepared and he apologized profusely. The first month I owned this car, the dealer had it as much as I did. I assumed it was a one time deal and everything would be great with Mercedes.

Then more things started to go and I began to read and hear about an alarming number of repairs. If one reads back through this bulletin board you will see a lot of people who list all the problems they had over the entire life of the car. A neighbor in town (who for some reason owns about 9 cars himself), saw my ML, liked the skyview roof but said his friend had just spent $6,000 to repair the transmission on his.

Then more things continued to break, some warrantied and some not. In the three years I have had the car, there is only one time when the car went in only for scheduled service without something being broken. Then I started to listen to the people bringing in their cars when my car was going in. I was surprised how many were ML's getting non-maintenance work, including new ones. When the power window switch broke (driver's window, in winter, down), the service tech told me I was lucky it was only one because usually it is more. Lucky?! None of this surprised the guys when I came in. Half the time they knew what had gone already and how long the repair would be!

I agree with you about all cars having problems. The worse car I owned before this was an Accord. Then a used car dealer I know said that Honda's had (in the mid-90's, I don't know if it is better) weak transmissions that broke easily compared to Toyotas and Nissans. My mother-in-law's Acura TL needed a transmission at 2 years and so did her brother's. Everyone I know with a Lexus GX470 had to have the driveshaft replaced on a design flaw. Yes, they have some problems, but not as many as this ML.

My resentment now is their cavalier attitude about something like a catalytic converting breaking apart. The service manager said "yes, both of them; when one goes the other does too. They crack apart and sometimes we can't reweld them." To me, for Mercedes to have a definite policy on this item to separate it from the Starmark warranty shows a lot of thought, and experience, with this problem with no intention for correction.

Let me ask a question: Does anyone reading this bulletin board know of any other cars where the converters just crack apart?

One contributor already said his went too but under warranty. My serivce manager wasn't surprised. Maybe I am naive and lots of brands converters just crack, but I have never heard of any, premium brand or not.

I wanted to keep this car a long time and pass it down. My kids love the skyview roof. This is really bothering me to have to sell it now but I am not going to get stuck with more repair bills.

Sorry this is repeating, but my brother-in-law had the same types of experiences with his 1999 ML320, which he also loved when he got, but finally got rid of his too because of the problems.

So, no, I don't think I am an isolated case. I am very glad to hear yours is working well. I was half thinking about getting another a newer one but would feel like a fool the first time anything went. And the next generation! Have you seen that picture on Edmunds? Really sharp, but could I trust another early year of the model run?

Speaking of which, it is time to call the dealer and see if it is done yet (in the shop since 9/28).
    Djdj, I certainly understand your frustration because I would feel the same way if mine was giving me trouble. The last two times I had the ML in the shop was just for scheduled maintenance with no other adjustments. I think it is well known that the '98 and '99 ML's had problems and I feel Mercedes made a very big mistake letting those out with continued known problems.

I had have much better luck with my 2002 ML than I did with my 1996 Jeep GC and the 1999 Jeep GC. Both of my Jeeps left me stranded, twice on the '96 and once on the '99. The air conditioning on the '99 was worthless.

What kind of car are you going to next?

Mark
    I asked to see the catalytic converters. They are a two piece can where the upper side overlaps the the lower side. One had totally pulled apart and the other was starting to do the same thing. It seems to me that if were properly welded to begin with it couldn't come apart at all.

I asked the mechanic if this was a common problems.
    He replied "Not very common, but we were doing another truck at the same time we were doing yours". (But two at time isn't unusual?)

I asked the service rep if it were less likely to happen down south (this being Ohio and very salt-prone).
    She responded "It would be a lot less common down south". (A lot less?)

An earlier post recommended having these boxes checked if any ML's were approaching 80K miles. I just read it recently, but after my experience I would recommend all readers to do just that the next time they go in.

I talked to the dealer's general manager. His opinion was that the 1998 and 1999 were "a learning experience", the 2000 "better" and 2002 and on have been very good. Then he showed me two 2001's for sale. I kind of doubt his opinion. He offered $13,500 as a trade-in.

He then showed me the 2005's (even though I drove one for 10 days). They aren't different enough from my 2000.

Then I asked to see something that really blew out any chance of getting another ML. This is a Mercedes-Infiniti dealership. I sat in the FX45. Wow! No, there is no cargo space at all, but this is a luxury vehicle. Compared to the FX, the ML is just a truck. Didn't drive it but the leather seats wrap around you, tilt & telescope power wheel, reclining rear seats, all the stuff Mercedes should put in their vehicles. (the G35 coupe with stick was also really nice, but that's a definite no-go).

FX is not really practical, but it showed me how dated the ML got. They may finally have the quality, but now it is old-fashioned compared to the competition.

Don't know what I'll buy. I can't say that getting a Highlander excites me, but it would be nice to have a car with a reputation for lasting. My wife's opinion was that she doesn't care what she drives as long as it is reliable. I do not want to bother with this now but have to dump the ML before the warranty expires in December because I am afraid of what is next.

We'll look at the Acura MDX, Highlander, Pilot. I really disliked the RX300 so will probably skip the RX330. My wife likes the looks of the Volvo but I don't consider them a standard for reliability either. Hertz rents their CrossCountry wagons; not too powerful, nice seats, doubt my wife wants a wagon.

Oh, yeah, driving home tonight I had forgotten how much my ML rattles. So I guess the new ones are better but not different enough.
  • geneva2geneva2 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am writing from Geneva. my ML320 (2001, 75,000km)had exactly the same problem. It one week that is blocked at the Mercedes Benz dealership and being checked all over (fuel injection, spark plugs/cabling, fuel tank, etc). But as usual they are unable to efficiently find out a solution.

Please let me know asap what happened in your case. What was the problem and how was it solved? Did Mercedes Benz take care of repair costs?

Thanks
  • c_j_gordonc_j_gordon Member Posts: 19
    Do any Mercedes Dealers or their service techs follow this thread? I'd be embarrassed to be associated with such a product.

Trust me when I tell you that I make quite a scene each time I have to push, pull or drag my ML to the dealership.

I spend my hours in the "waiting room" exchanging horror stories with other owners. When I see folks looking at them in the showroom, I make it a point to show them mine.

Mercedes doesn't care.
  • kej1kej1 Member Posts: 1
    To All,

We are nearing the end of our warranty and we are reluctant to own the car without a warranty. We have been happy with our ML 320, but the drive is rough and the potential maintenance off-warranty is concerning. We are considering extending the warranty in anticipation of the 2006 model which we understand is on a unibody frame and will drive more like a car. However, we have reservations about buying the first generation of the 2006 ML, and losing value due to the model change. We are also considering buying either a 2004 GX 470 or a used 2002/2003 GX 470. We know Lexus is a good car, but we have no experience with owning one and what the maintenance/problems may be. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Kej1
    I know two people with GX's. Both had to have their drive shafts replaced.

As the car slows down, right before it comes to a stop, the car feels like it is being rear-ended. Not hard, just like a light tap. One owner thought that was how Lexus's rode. The other put up with it up the time the car 'triple tapped' to a stop. Then he read on a Lexus owners' website that most of them need to have needed to have their drive shafts replaced. He told the other driver. Both got the drive shaft replaced with no question by the dealer. New shaft is supposedly a new design.

Other than that they both love the cars. Beige interior is so light it seems to attract dirt. Gets detailed a lot. Drive shaft seemed to be the only problem they had.

One owner got the third seat and never used it because there is no footwell and her rather small 7 year old couldn't even fit there.

We drove the Acura MDX and really liked. Might buy one next week.
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Have 'em flash the ME control unit memory. Also, check the EGR valve for sticking open/partially open. The MY '01 was too early to flash.
    The ML is built in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. ROLL TIDE!!!
    NO catalytic converter is covered by anything past the 8yr/80K mi Federal - 10yr/100K mi ( California) emission warranty. The early MLs WERE bad. How did Motor Trend come up with the Import of the Year anyhow???
    The dealers' parts department. It's a grille badge.
    What's a hook? The ML has a tailgate, not a trunk. What is a hook anyway?
    That catalytic converters are breaking at the welds and the result is a noisy exhaust leak. They are covered by the Emissions warranty. 8yr/80K mi. or 10yr/100K mi (California).
    The catalytic converts are breaking maybe because of vibration. The materials are of high quality, and the welding is by machine. This could be a design problem.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    On the cats, mine were covered under the emissions warranty, but if they weren't, I'd certainly look into whether they could be welded. Further, I'd check the aftermarket cat suppliers. I suspect you can even get the OEM pieces at substantial discount from MB dealer prices. $3.5K is just nuts.

- Mark
    Part of my last repair adventure to MB included getting window seals repaired on the driver's window because he made loud rubbing sounds every time it went down.
    About $120 to fix.
    Now the window has a wind rush noise at speed, and very loud reverbation noise when a crosswind hits the car.
    So not only do these cars get repaired a lot, the MB mechanics can't do the job right the first time (rebuilt the rear seat folding mechanism 3 times.)
    Maybe the more recent years are better built, but they really do lack the features and refinements of its competitors. With a little luck, I'll trade it in this week.
  • losttoothlosttooth Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2000 ML320 with about 57K miles. Early on I had the fuel sending unit replaced, as it was apparently corroded, but was covered under warranty.

In the last couple of weeks, however, I have seen the fuel gauge doing weird things. Anyone else see this?
    Hey Guys, I know these sites are for people to exchange information so I wanted to let other lurkers know that not all ML's are bad. I've had a couple of issues that were small (rear cup holder replaced, windshield squeak fixed, console lid cover replace due to rippling, washer fluid container replace under recall, front molding at bottom of fascia came loose). I have 31,700 miles on my ML and it has never left me stranded and runs great. I have a fully loaded unit with excellent V8 power, strong air conditioning (very important to me), parktronic, third seat, bi-xenons w/washers, navigation, 6 CD. I've never had issues with window motors, tranny or anything serious. I've owned it for 34 months so far. My tires are wearing very good. I'll probably replace them at about 40k unless I trade for another vehicle. I've been trading my SUV's about every 3 years. (96 Jeep GC, 99 Jeep GC and now the 02 ML). The ML has been a far better vehicle than either Jeep.

Just my .02. Mark
  • sbass65515sbass65515 Member Posts: 1
    thinking about purchasing a used TK ML320...
    does anyone know that the TK means? are ALL the M-class mercedes made in Alabama? were any manufactured in Germany? gas mileage? 2001 better experience than the 1999 & 2000? by reading these post i am thinking "don't do it", but of course would people who were happy with their experience write in message boards about how great the car is??
    thanks
    sbass
    Don't know about the "TK". Perhaps an options package?

I believe at some point, they started making Euro models in Austria on the same assembly line as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. But I doubt that has anything to do with TK and I doubt you'd see one of these for sale in the states.

Gas mileage is pretty good for such a heavy SUV, better on the earlier models. I'd expect 15-22 mpg. In 65K, I've averaged about 18 and this includes a lot of hilly town driving and towing.

The reliability gets better with later years. But there is no point where you're "free and clear." All have worse than average repair records.

These SUVs are very capable. At the right price, a ML320 can be a good buy, but I think you have to be the sort of person who can roll with the punch on repairs and there are certainly less risky choices. Dealer repairs are ridiculously expensive and they have a "replace everything" mentality - if you can find an independent shop that will scrounge a little, you can reduce repair costs dramatically.

All in all, I good choice for the "involved owner" who appreciates the vehicle's capabilities, but a poor choice for someone who just wants to twist the key and drive.

More reliable choices? Honda Pilots/MDX, Toyota 4-Runners/RX300s, and Nissan Pathfinders.

- Mark
    Sbass, just a note, the 2002 ML's were updated with a new front end, new tail light covers, new designed rear bumper cover, turn signals on the mirrors, rear air conditioning vents and updated controls for the air conditioner.

The 2002 models and above had much better reliability from a consumer reports article that recently read and also have regular maintenance covered under warranty for 4 years 50,000 miles whereas the 2001 does not.

Also, I've never heard of "TK" relating to the ML.

My gas mileage is generally about 16-17 with city/hwy driving. I've gotten as much as 24 on the hwy with the wind was blowing just right and as little as 12 mpg with strictly city driving. I have the V-8.

Mark
    Maybe I'm looking at the data differently, but I've never gleaned any significant improvement in the CR ML reliablity data since about 2001. The later models have fewer problems in the CR data, but not any better than the overall trend that newer cars have fewer problems because they've gone fewer miles. (The basic CR detailed data is not "normalized" - just raw problem percentages, so newer cars always have fewer problems - to normalize the data, you have to compare the charts to the "average car" for any given year.)

And to my knowledge, since about 2000, all MB models have had routine maintenance covered during the warranty period. At least my 2000 had all maintenance covered through 50K.

- Mark
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Gave my 99 ML320 with 67K miles for an A-Service today. The dealership called me to say that the wiring harness for the auxiliary cooling fans (the ones in the front of the radiator) was burned and it blew the fuse. It will cost about $300 to fix this.

This has been a problem pre-warranty when I saw the fuse being burned out a couple of times. When I took in in for service I asked them to check the fan. The did and said it was fine. It is in my service records. I am not so concerned about about paying the 300 bucks. I am just annoyed that this was a problem that I brought to their attention and they told me that it was fine. The service advisor said he couldn't do anything. I called MB and they said that the Service Managers decision was final. (Basically asked me to Piss Off !!) I am going to talk to the service manager when I go to pick up my car. If he says no, I have no option but to accept his decision. Frankly I don't care too much as this is my third and last Mercedes and besides it's just 300 bucks. I do understand that as cars get older stuff fails and I don't have a problem paying to fix things, but in this case it clearly started to fail when the car was still under warranty and I did put in a service request for this.

I got to say that this is my biggest out of pocket repair expense in since my car went out of warranty at 50K miles. I just hope that I don't have to put in more than $1000 per year in repairs. If it does happen, I will have to sell sooner than I plan to.
    Boy, if you have service records showing that the fuse was blowing back when the car was under warranty, I'd be going to the matt on this one. I'd escalate a little further.

It is weird - sometimes the dealers will go totally hard-core about warranty repairs, other times, they'll do them at the the drop of a hat. (I'm convinced they replaced my transmission under warranty when all it needed was a minor adjustment or repair to the kickdown switch. They also volunteered to replace my center console box cover for a very minor dimple that I would have attributed to normal wear/tear.) I think it might have to do with whether the particular dealer is "under the gun" for a given month on excessive warranty work. I think the dealers load-level their warranty work, filling in in slow months and avoiding work in fast months.

You probably don't have an option now, but a different dealer might sing a totally different tune.

- Mark
    Markjenn, I don't know what I was thinking, my 2000 E430 has had regular maintenance covered from the start. Regular maintenance started in 2000 not 2002 as I stated on my ML. 2002 started with the updates on interior and exterior on the ML.

Mark
    To continue my story I went back in the evening and told the Service Advisor that I want to speak to the Servce Manager. He got the SM on the phone and and explained the situation. The SM said that they would write off the cost of the parts and half the labor. This meant I would have to pay $150 from the total cost of about $400. This was okay with me and I settled for this.

Like I said before, to me it was less about the 400 bucks, It was more about taking a stand. I wanted to see if the Service Advisor would look me in the face and tell me that the fuse blowing pre-warranty had nothing to do with the fuse blowing after warranty expired. I guess he was a reasonable person and understood the situation.
    Hey Guys and Gals,

When did you have to replace the brakes on your ML's? Mine is a 2002 with 34,500 miles. I just had new Dunlops put on and they told me the brakes on the front and back are getting close. I replaced the rears at 18,000 and haven't touched the front yet.

I want to wait until the "light" comes on telling me the pads need to be replaced. Shoud I wait that long?

Thanks, Mark
    Waiting till the warning lights is fine (assuming their working properly - they typically get screwed up by a ham-fised mechanic) but it only takes a couple minutes to shine a flashlight into the right spot and confirm things. If you can see a groove in the middle of the brake pad, then you've still got useful life left.

My experience is that the warning lights are ultra-conservative, indicating replacement when about one-third the pad life is still available. And that dealers will recommend pad replacement when they need to fill their service bays. Again, five minutes spent under the vehicle with a flashlight is the best way.

I get 25K out of the fronts, 40K out of the rears, but that's with hilly terrain, a lot of stop-go, and some light towing. And replacement when they're actually worn out, not when the dealer or the light says. Lots of variables on brake life. YMMV.

- Mark
  • quinndquinnd Member Posts: 4
    Our 2001 ML430 is just about to go out of warranty. We just brought it in for a final warranty service and the shop did a thorough job including a B service. But the gas mileage got worse immediately after this service! We used to get about 22 mpg overall, now it's 16 mpg. We are going to the gas station more often now. And we're doing exactly the same type of driving. (This is not our imagination, it's real.)

There are still a few days left on the warranty and we're bringing it back to the dealership to have this looked at. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks!
  • quinndquinnd Member Posts: 4
    Well the way I looked at it when I got my 2001 ML430 is: here's a full body on frame truck with full time 4WD using the innovative 4matic system that saves weight and redundant parts. And the MB V-8 engine.

The Lexus a front wheel drive unibody car that's boosted up, with AWD: improves handling in slippery conditions but otherwise it's just FWD, and a Toyota engine. It's based on a Camry.

One is indeed more solid machinery than the other. Unfortunately, MB seems to require a bit more maintenance -- I think that has always been true of MB, but the ML electrical glitches are indeed a worry. As I am just going out of warranty, I will soon feel it in the wallet. But I just get such a good feeling driving that truck.

I've been in the Lexus RX330. It's more effort to drive and less fun. The same distance seems longer in the Lexus, and I bet 100mph feels like 100. In the ML 100mph feels the same as 50mph.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Did M-B ever put diesel engines in the M class?

Thanks
    Diesels are sold to overseas ML markets, but not US. I believe there is a plan to sell a diesel ML in the US with the next generation ML due to appear in a year or so, but I don't know the details.

- Mark
  • blkcadillacblkcadillac Member Posts: 47
    MB has released the first official pics of the new M.. It's very nice mainly because in IMO it looks like the Volkswagen Touareg.
    Which is not a bad thing...Just IMO
  • wizer1wizer1 Member Posts: 3
    where can i get a shop manual
    I'm not aware of any 3rd party shop manual options. You can get the CDs form MB, but they're prohibitively expensive.

There are some good DIY instructions on the net for common repairs, like brakes, or for things that frequently fail, like window switches.

- Mark
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thinking of downsizing?

2006 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Talk about it in the 2005 Mercedes-Benz R-Class discussion.

No? Going to stick with the M-Class? Here's what this week's Edmunds Future Vehicles Newletter (link) says about the 2006 MB sport-ute:

New Mercedes M-Class Revealed

Mercedes-Benz has released these first pictures of the new 2006 M-Class sport-ute, due to be shown at the Detroit auto show in January. The new M-Class sits 5.9 inches longer, 2.8 inches wider and 0.4 inch lower on the road than the first-generation vehicle, with a 114-inch wheelbase that's 3.7 inches longer than before. The new M-Class switches from a body-on-frame design to a unibody platform -- more like the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Benz's new seven-speed automatic transmission is standard, as is full-time four-wheel drive. A height-adjustable AIRMATIC air suspension is optional. A revised four-wheel traction control system now incorporates functions such as a downhill driving aid and Hill-Start Assist. And as expected, the new M-Class offers up two engines at launch. The ML350 is powered by an all-new 3.5-liter, four-valve-per-cylinder V6 engine delivering 268 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. The ML500 sports the Benz 5.0-liter V8 engine with 302 hp and 339 lb-ft of torque. The M-Class will be built at the Mercedes-Benz factory near Tuscaloosa, Ala.

Steve, Host
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    where do i get detailed pictures of the next Mercedes Benz M-Class
  • drwagdrwag Member Posts: 8
    Look at www.jesmb.de
  • dougddougd Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at an 02 ML320 with 11,850 miles for $27,750.00. This car is in exceptional shape. I have a carfax report as well as the last service report from the dealer. The miles are real.

The Carfax "Detailed Vehicle History" reports that it has been serviced 7 times since the leasing company leased it to the previous owner(?). The general comments state from "vehicle serviced" to "vehicle serviced, miscellaneous serviced performed, engine serviced". Does anybody know what that means?

My big question; has anyone had a good experience with their ML320? I searched all over the net and find 99% bad reviews. I really like this car and want it, but I can not afford the time and expense of having it in the shop all the time. I really would like some honest opinions.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Make your own tradeoffs, but I'd pass for the following reasons:

1. Seven service visits in 12K sound like teething problems of one sort or the other. By the book servicing (which most owners with cars under lease do) should have, one or perhaps two visits if they were doing calendar time servicing. Perhaps everything was fixed, but you're looking at a car that someone was taking back in quite a few times to resolve problems - this is not a good sign.

2. MB is heavily discounting new 2005 MLs. I'd bet you could swing a deal on a new one, typically optioned, for $38K or so. To me, $10K is not enough discount for a car that is three years old. The new ones are improved too, and MB has continued to work out the problems.

3. You state that "I can not affocd the time and expense of haveing the car in the shop ...." MLs are not patently unreliable, but they do tend to have more problem and it sure sounds like you are risk advserse in this area. I'd suggest you look at one of the Japanese SUVs: Pilot, Pathfinder, or 4Runner. You can probably get a new one for about the same money.

Having come down hard, I'll flip the coin for a second and say that although I've had problems with my 2000 ML, I'm still pretty happy with it, and in 70K miles, I've had exactly one non-warranty repair for $250. I like the SUV and am going to continue to drive it. It runs well and serves me reliably each and every day. But I think I'm more involved than the typical owner and can do a lot of my own maintenance and trouble-shooting. If I was just going to throw the keys at the dealer when problems occur, I wouldn't own one out of warranty.

- Mark
    Doug,

I have a 99ML320 with 69,000 and have been overall reasonably happy with the car. I wanted to keep it for a long time. However, I am quite concerned reading all the negative posts about it. My brother was researching a used Acura MDX and the average ratings by users on a number of websites like edmunds it over 9 out of 10. MB as are more 7 or 8 on 10. Which is not bad when you compare it to Ford Dodge or Jeep. However, if you are paying a premium, you should atleast expect better than average reliablity and quality.

I have had no significant problems with my truck. However, I have read of many problems with MLs. If you are keen on getting it, try to get it for $25K as these things depreicate like a rock.