Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Pacifica Oil Problems

dcgnlmgdcgnlmg Member Posts: 14
We bought a 2005 Pacifica Touring Edition in December 2006. We noticed that the oil had to be consantly refilled. I took it to one dealership and they told me that it is natural for cars to burn oil. Then we took it to a different dealership and they did an oil consumption test. After 800 miles the oil went from the max line to the min. line. Talk about BAD! I took the car back this morning and just got called for them to tell me they don't know what is wrong with the car. They called Chrysler and they are closed for the day! UGH...
Has anyone else had this problem? It is not normal for a car to burn oil like this. There are no leaks, the spark plugs don't have oil on them and there is no visible smoke coming from the tailpipe. Can anyone give any suggestions?

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    it sometimes happens. My mom had the same problem with her Trooper. Did the oil consumption test a few times and finally got isuzu to replace the engine.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• gjwiresgjwires Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 2005 Pacifica Touring Edition purchased in January 2006. My dealer said the same thing. What did Chrystler say?
  • dcgnlmgdcgnlmg Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the post. My car is still at the dealership. I called again today for an update and they have not started work on it yet. They got the car last Monday. When the tech first called Chrysler the first person told him that oil burning was normal. The tech guy actually disagreed with him. They called a few more times and got ahold of someone else who said something about injectors, but not fuel related, it's something in the engine and there have been a few documented cases reported.
    When I talked to them today, my service rep. said that the tech did not feel right with Chryslers opinion on the problem. I don't know if I am getting jerked around or not. Luckily I bought the extended warranty because I am at 41K. It took a few trips to the dealership to get someone to actually take a look at the problem and take is seriously, but I didn't let up.
    Have you pursued it? If so, what have you been told?
  • afauserafauser Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 limited with the same problem that I just recently noticed in the last 6 months. Unfortunately I'm overseas with it and don't have a dealership in the area. If they figure out the problem please post their findings. Hopefully its not an engine replacement as stated in earlier replies. Thanks!
    I am sorry to hear that! I will put up a post as soon I find out what is wrong with my car.
    Luckily I bought the extended warranty because I am at 41K.

The '05s came with a 70k mile powertrain warranty. So you would have been covered regardless.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• carcodecarcode Member Posts: 1
    I have an oil problem with a 2005 Pacifica as well. I burned over 2 quarts in 4000 miles and the dealer said it was OK. I am about to take it back in and it's continuing to burn at that rate. Interested to see any additional comments.
    1 quart every 2k miles is DEFINITELY not OK!

One dealership told me that 1 qt. every 1000 miles was acceptable. I disagree. I took the car to an actual Chrysler dealership and they finally told me that 1 qt. in 800 miles (5 qt. every 4000 Miles) was not okay, which is what my car is burning. When they called Chrysler last week, the first person they talked to said that was okay. Thankfully the dealership disagreed and kept calling until someone answered that had half a clue. My engine is torn apart and the mech. is still going part by part trying to find a problem. The problem is, he is not seeing any reason for the oil consumption. UGH. I will post when I know more, but you find anything out, please let me know because the guys here are stumped.
    I just talked to the dealership and they told me that the mech. found a problem with the valve stem covers on the injection system. They were loose and allowing oil to pass by. I will get the car back today and do the oil consumption test again, but they said the problem should be fixed.
    I am sorry to have to say this, but the valve covers were not the problem in my car. They tore the engine apart and the mechanic could not find any other problems besides the covers, so he fixed that and put the engine back together. I have driven 800 miles (again) and I am already down to the minimum line on my oil dip stick. This is SO frustrating! Does anyone have any other ideas?
  • joegto69joegto69 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I came here to see if anyone else was having the same problems as I. Here is my case in a nutshell:

I purchased a 2006 pacifica in Nov. '05. I was thrilled with it at first, no problems to speak of. At 9000 miles, I took the car on a long weekend vacation to Mystic, CT. While driving up I-95, the cluster went blank, and I lost power. I immediately tried to get over to the right, but it was hard with no power steering. As i was turning the wheel to the right, the power and cluster came back by itself, and getting the power steering back, I over compensated the steering, and did a 180 in front of a semi with my wife, and my 2 boys ages 10 & 5 in the car.

When I got the car to the side of the road, I hear a loud tapping from the valves, so I check the oil and see there is nothing on the dipstick. It was only 2000 miles since my last oil change. I put in 3 and 1/2 quarts, and continued on my trip. Getting back home, I called the dealer, and brought it in, they couldn't find anything. so, I say ok, B.S. but i'll keep an eye on it. (BTW- I'm a mechanic)

In the next 1000 miles when it was due for an oil change, it was almost 2 quarts low. Once again I brought it back, and once again they found nothing. 1500 miles after that, It's 3 quarts low again, I bring it in, and make a scene in the Dealership. They take the car again, and call me the next day to tell me the motor was bad, and needed rings and valves. DUH, Ya THINK???? The problem with these cars are: 1- the catylitic converters get so hot, they don't get a chance to blow smoke out the tailpipe, and 2, they have problems with their computers that don't make their dummy lights come on. It's a TSB, not an official recall yet.

So, they re-build my motor, and take 2-1/2 weeks doing so. I get it back, and a week later the car is shuddering when it shifts. Off to the dealer again. I tell them I think the transmission is having a problem....next day, sure enough, they call me and tell me the Torque Converter is bad. After 3 more days, I get it back. 2 Weeks passed, and yesterday I go to my father in laws with the family for fathers day. On the way there, the car is dying slugging up hills. With the a/c on, it's even worse. So now the car is in the dealership again. What a piece of junk! Anyone else reading this should not buy a chrysler, as now that Daimler split the scene, it's only going to get worse! BTW- I checked my car for codes constantly, and not one ever came up! :sick: :lemon:
  • happytrails07happytrails07 Member Posts: 12
    We also have an 05 Limited Pacific (24k miles) that is burning oil fast and furious. I just had the oil changed a few weeks ago and it is already a half quart low. Any suggestions or solutions?? thanks
  • kkodalkkodal Member Posts: 34
    what does the dealer say about it?are they not concern about the vehicle burning that much oil?i mean you only have 24 k on it they should rebuild the engine if they have to,to fix the problem.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    I think I would stuff that Lemmon back down thier throats. Glad no one was hurt in your spin out.
    On the phone they said that burning 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles is acceptable per Chrylser..............I about fell off my chair. We took it in this week 700 miles after an oil change and it was 3/4 of a quart low. They topped it off and said to bring it back in a 1000 miles.
  • keniadollkeniadoll Member Posts: 1
    I just recently purchased an 05' pacifica with 18k miles, now it has 24k and is consuming the oil like crazy. I took it to the dealership and they told me the same thing (1/4 oil p/every 1k miles) which I think is absolutely ridiculous for a car this new. I called the manufactures and they said that they rely on what the dealership determined in regards to this. I am extremely upset about this and now reading this from all of you is even worse. I am open to any suggestions if anyone got a different response other than its normal. :mad:
    I am beginning to think they had a bad run of a particular engine part(s) in those 05's. I spoke to a friend who owns an independent garage and he was astonished with that type of oil consumption. Bottom line it is not normal for a car to burn that much oil and Chrysler does not want to admit it. I am going to do the dealerships 1000 mile test to see how much it is burning and see what they say. If no resolution is proposed I will raise a holy stink, but until then I am going to sit tight. Did they offer to top the oil off and do the 1000 mile test?
    I am in the same situation you are in. In fact, I just got a letter today from Chrysler telling me the same thing. I am burning way too much oil also, but they are not willing to do anything about it. At this point I am going to finish the oil consumption test that I am doing now and if it is still bad, which it will be since I am still checking my oil levels, I will see what Chrysler says (again). If I am not happy, I am considering legal action. Sorry that I do not have better news, but before you get too frustrated, have the dealership check the valve seals. That is a common problem on the Pacifica's and it should help some.
  • salamansalaman Member Posts: 3
    All manufacturers claim 1 qt per 2000 miles is normal. So legal action is not an option. I eliminated most of the problems by switching to Firestone for oil changes. They use a semi synthetic oil which does not burn up as easy. I can always find a coupon for $16.99 oil change with tire rotation online or on back of grocery register receipts.
    Thanks for the suggestion and I will try that after Chrysler gives me their final decision. They actually said 1 qt per 1000 miles was normal...... This is my second Pacifica and before that I had a Durango and before that I had a Grand Cherokee and none of them burned more that 1/2 qt per 3-4,000 miles.
    hmmm... well... ummm.. how can I say this. I've said it around these forums before...

OK. Someone close to me had an issue with a car of his. It was burning alot of oil. Manufacturer said it was within specs. They said it has to burn X quarts in X miles. Obviously, in order to measure this, you have to get the oil measured at the dealership, drive X miles, then go back for a remeasure. This person went through this process and *ahem* made sure the required amount of oil was used by the car.

• kkodalkkodal Member Posts: 34
    way to cover up ;)
    nothing is wrong with cheating like that... :)
    the dealers should stand behind their products instead of giving excuses to fix it.good lesson will be taught to those dealers who push their customers to go that route and make sure they pay attention to the problem..
    kudo's to your friend :)
    :)

I agree, of course. Not that I advocate such actions on a car burning a quarter of a quart every 3k miles. I believe the particular vehicle in question had to burn a quart every 1500 miles, if I'm not mistaken, and that is just ridiculous, IMHO. I mean, not only is the car experiencing serious blow-by, but it is just adding more pollution to the atmosphere! I think I'd be surprised if a car burning that much oil could even pass state emissions inspection. Heck, I have 2 cars right now that are running great and burn NO oil and they both failed.

I just had my last oil consumption test done at I burned a quart of oil in 796 miles!!! I wrote another letter to Chrysler and the dealership is also contacting them. I am still going to speak to a few lawyers if I am not satisfied with Chrysler's response because they state that 1 qt. of oil in 1000 miles is okay, but when it fall way under that, there is a problem. And, the valve covers have already been replaced, so that should not be the issue. I had not even thought about the emissions test, thanks for reminding me of that. My car is not due for a while, but it something for me to think about.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    May I ask what engine is in the Pacifica? Really, these engines should not be using oil at all! I have a 1999 Intrepid with a 3.2 liter V6 that has never used a drop of oil in 117,000 miles. I have NEVER added oil to it and it never goes down any before the next oil change. A quart in 800 miles is ridiculous and both the dealer and Chrysler know this. Hold their feet to the fire. I had to fight this battle with Ford a few years ago. I guess all manufacturers can have a bad run of things (including engines), but they should be more willing to be stand up about it and admit that something like your oil use is way out of the norm. I have had great luck with Chrysler cars.

One thing to consider is try another dealer: you might be surprised that another dealer might go to bat for you with Chrysler. The service departments from one dealer to another can be quite different.

Good luck. :shades:
  • mimmamimma Member Posts: 5
    I too have a 2005 Pacifica AWD touring model and we had had our transmission seals replaced at 20,000 miles. Now we are at 36,000 and burning 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. I have been told by the dealer that there is nothing wrong with the car, and this is acceptable because of the excessive heat the engine produces and because the pistons are smaller than the cylinder walls but expand with heat allowing oil to be left in the chamber, which then burns off.

Hmm, excessive heat, pistons smaller than cylinder walls, these sound like manufacturing problems to me, or a load of BS he was making up on the spot. We are being told that 1 quart every 950 miles is the standard. Why does everyone have a different number? I have contacted other dealers and it does seems to be an industry wide fail safe standard for a crappy engine.

I have complained to my local BBB, but haven't gotten anywhere. I am glad someone wrote that the dealer's mechanic stood up to corporate. My dealership apparently doesn't have that backbone. Every mechanic I talk to says this a unacceptable. I am unsure what to do now.

I asked our dealer why this problem started at 30,000 miles if it something that was designed into the engine from day one and he had no answer for that. I will say I know others with Pacificas that burn NO oil.

Now they are asking me to provide proof of all my oil changes. I think I have pissed them off so much they are going to try and pull my warranty.

I wish there was some way to all group together and get this standard changed.
  • frjoelfrjoel Member Posts: 1
    As a senior citizen driving a 2005 Pacifica Touring AWD I thought I had found my ‘dream car.’ I use the past tense since I began to have problems with oil consumption. I have since learned that Chrysler claims that using one quart of oil every 1000 thousand miles is ‘normal’ for their 3.5L engine up to 50,000 miles after which one quart every 750 miles is ‘normal.’ As a retired engineer my reaction to their internal memo that claims this type of oil consumption to be normal is @#!!#%%!

I have always used a synthetic oil and recently switched to AMSOIL synthetic which requires an oil change every 25000 miles or once a year. They have successfully defended their clients against manufactures who have tried to avoid warranty claims based on not following their guidelines for oil change intervals. So far I am still within Chrysler’s guidelines since I just recently switched and AMSOIL is going to do an engine oil analysis to determine what is happening to cause this consumption excess. I use the phrase consumption since it has been determined that the car is not burning oil nor does it have an oil leak. In the mean time I am contacting an attorney to determine it there is a basis for filing a class action suite.

Having said all of that I still like the car and all I really want is for Chrysler to fix the problem while the car is still under warranty even if that means they have to replace the engine with a new one (right!) since not all Pacificas with the 3.5L have this problem.
    OK folks I have made some progress and wanted you to know that some (mine here in W. Michigan) dealerships will stand behind these oil-burning Pacificas. After my successful oil consumption test, the dealership agreed that this was wrong. From what my service mgr. there were a batch of pistons with the oil-consumption rings and pitons that were too small for the engine. After some usage the rings stick to the pistons and allowed oil into the combustion chamber. What they did for us was replace all of the piston assemblies. We just got the car back on Friday after three full days in the shop, but immediately I noticed that after the car started you did not smell the sweet smell of oil burning. I will keep you all posted to see if replacing the pistons was successful or not.
  • daveinaterdaveinater Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering how the oil consumption has been since your recent fix...give us an update when able.

Thanks!
    My guess would be the problem is solved and you'll never hear from the person again. Unfortunately, this is very common on message boards like this and the reason why some problems get blown out of proportion. You hear the complaints only. Someone has a beef, they start a membership, post their problems everywhere, then leave, never to be heard from again. I would bet the person would have been back if the problems persisted.

So far so good. I can not say enough about our dealership in the Grand Rapids MI area, they were cautious, but incredible to work with, just great Midwestern folks once again. They even gave us a loaner car for the three days of work it took to replace the pistons and rebuild the engine. We changed the oil after 1000 miles as the dealer instructed and it was still full and clean.

Sorry qbrozen, I don't get into online as much as I would like so sorry it took me 24 hours to reply. Those darn kids, family, church and work get in the way on Sunday and Monday.

I will make another post in 30 days to see if the oil consumption has completely ceased.

Good luck to everybody.
    Sorry qbrozen, I don't get into online as much as I would like so sorry it took me 24 hours to reply.

Not at all. I'm glad to be proven wrong in this instance. It is good to hear a positive update once in a while.

• qpowerqpower Member Posts: 34
    Good Morning!
    I am also a victim of Chrysler's perfidious treatment of its customers! Our 2005 Pacifica AWD Touring has been a conspicuous oil burner since its earliest mileage, and seems to use around 1 quart per 1000 miles or so. Frankly, the dip stick is hard to read and quantify as one side reads differently than another, but based upon the marks, we are always needing oil.

I have run a 6 K mile consumption test with the dealer I purchased from and they are a PITA! They claim that this is normal, which is shear bunk! I owned a VW New Beetle which also used oil like this, and VW did a ring job at 60K free under extended warranty due to a known and acknowledged situation. Frankly, that is Chrysler's trouble here, fessing up to what is really wrong.

I am in the wholesale auto parts business. There is no way that oil consumption at this rate is normal. My VW Touareg V6 consumes no meaningful amounts of oil between oil changes at 7500 miles on Mobil 1. My Chrysler 2001 Town and Country 3.3L V6 also consumes virtually no meaningful amounts of oil. It too is on Mobil 1.

I am deeply concerned as I just got the Pacifica back last night from the second local dealer, who parrots the same oil use nonsense. Interestingly, they discovered and repaired a problem with our Power Transfer unit which has made clicking sounds since new, whenever the wheel turns around like in a three point turn... we took it in for this complaint, and they fixed it with a replacement unit, and they told me this was a known trouble and they even keep the PTU replacement in stock as a result.

It MUST be a known trouble, then, for a dealer to keep an expensive part in stock!!

Frankly, I am concerned about buying another Chrysler product. I do enjoy the T&C, but life is short and it will need replacing soon enough. What then?

I think it may become time to trade out of the Pacifica before it is too far gone - before the engine develops more serious oil related damages. I just don't see the competitor landscape as offering a good and clear choice to move to...

Thoughts?

Any other PTU troubles? :sick:
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Get a Honda next time.
    how many miles on your Pac? I'm assuming it is still relatively low since you have so many big vehicles on hand to drive.

Since you have a 75k mile powertrain warranty, I wouldn't be so quick to trade.

I also would find out exactly what the threshold is to justify an engine rebuild. Call chrysler directly and ask. Then, its just a matter of making sure your vehicle "consumes" that much.

Problem is, you still need to show that engine damage occured while it was being properly cared for... which is to say that engine failure does not translate directly into a warranty job.

I am so soured by the oil comsumption of this motor. One quart on average every thousand miles since early on is the sign of sloppy manufacturing. I have other late model vehicles that use virtually none, really, none..! This car has 36K and is just 25 months old.

So the answer is to get the best possible value and let this become someone else's problem! :shades:
    Sorry, faulty logic!

I have been using Mobil 1 and it still uses the oil like no tomorrow!

:confuse: :sick:
    Problem is, you still need to show that engine damage occured while it was being properly cared for.

Why is that a problem? Would you warranty something that wasn't properly cared for? Of course not. DID you properly care for it? If so, then what is the issue? They will fix it.

• licatachlicatach Member Posts: 1
    My 05' goes through a quart every 1K. This is just not right, as everyone seems to agree, except Chrysler.

What dealership in G.R are you referring to? I am near there and would love to talk with the service manager.
  • myf16myf16 Member Posts: 5
    My 04 AWD with 50k miles on it burns 1 qt of very thin Mobil 1 5W-20 in 5k miles. I'm happy.
  • disomdisom Member Posts: 1
    ">I bought an 05 Pacifica in March with 29k miles on it. My husband builds engines and changes my oil. We took the car to Canada in July, got back and there was hardly any oil in it! Filled it up and 3k miles later, all the oil burned off again and then again. I called my dealer and told him the problem. They had to log the miles and how full it was now and then bring it in and they will log it again before Chrysler will allow to fix it.
    I'm glad I found this website. I will print the info out and take it in to the dealer as proof that this is a consistent problem with this vehicle. 41k miles and it burns oil?!?! I have never had a car do that. I love this car but I am scared of this monumental problem!
    I hope my dealership is as nice as the one in MI. But who's to say they are not going to put in parts that will have the same problems! Do I trade? Then what do I get that is comparable is space and luxury. Very tall, love the leg room. All other vehicles I test drove were very short or small in the 2nd seat.
    Any suggestions? :(
    i have no suggestions beyond what you are already doing.

• hyde69hyde69 Member Posts: 1
    does anyone have a diagram for the oil sending unit? i can not find it anywhere. i have look on the sides of the block but can't find it. please help i would love to have a picture or a diagram if anyone can help
    the Chrysler dealer on Plainfield across from the Meijer.

So far so good, I just checked the oil after 4000 miles and it is a smidge off of full

Good luck
  • ctaylor2ctaylor2 Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 05 touring and thought I was in this sinking ship myself. What a dissapointment!!!! It is in the shop again right now I am waiting for a call. The dealership did a consumption test and replaced the valve stems. This did not repair the problem. My car still burns a quart of oil every 600 miles. I was told by Chrysler that it was ok to burn oil!!! So I said, are you kidding me!! Maybe YOU would like to supply me with cases of oil. This is so unfair to us and I know other people who have this car and are very happy with it. I guess luck was not I my side the day I picked this one out!!! I feel Chrysler should take responsibility for their error in the building of this engine. It seems a bad batch got out and I think we should make it their problem and not ours!!!! I want justice and hope my engine blows up in the dealerships shop today!!!
    Please read my earlier posts. Have the dealership replace the pistons with new O-rings and you will fine. That batch of pistons in 2005 were too small for the engine block and thus the oil is ending up in the combustation chambers and getting burned. I am now about 4500 miles past our big fix and we are just slightly off the full mark on the oil dip stick, but nothing I am worried about.

Good luck
    I just picked the car up. I am so sorry that it burns oil because it rides really nice and is so comfortable. Paper work says they checked the spark plugs, no sign of oil deposits and replaced pcv valve and cleaned out intake manifold. I am sure none of this is going to help. It also states engine operating as designed. Thats a joke or what!. I am going to call my mechanic tomorrow and explain things to him to see what he says. If you do not mind me asking how much what you recommended costs to have done. I almost feel like paying someone else to do it. Thank You for your feedback.
    Can anyone help me? I am looking for a dealership who admits to these 05 Pacifica oil problems and that are willing to fix them. I live in New Jersey and my car originated in Michigan. I am now dealing with Buhler dealer in Hazlet. The manager their says nothing is wrong with it. I believe he does not want to take the time to fix it. Thank You
  • badpacificabadpacifica Member Posts: 3
    WE TOO HAVE ISSUES W/ THE OIL CONSUMPTION, HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES ON THE DOT AND IT USES IF WE DO NOT... I AM WORRIED ABOUT BEING ON THE ROAD AND IT RUNNING OUT OF OIL.... MINE HAS 68,000 MILES AND WE ARE DISSAPPOINTED IN THE OIL ALTHOUGH WE LOVE THE CAR WE ARE LOOKING TO TRADE...... HOW MUCH DOES THE O RING REPLACEMENT COST FOR THE PISTONS?