Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cavalier Real World MPG

stryker5671stryker5671 Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
My cheverolet cavalier isnt getting good gas mileage.

I filled it up, 3 times...and its only getting 260-270 miles per tank. Isnt that a bit low?

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 879
    About right for around town.
  • Is it the 2.4 liter? If it is that's about right. The smaller 2.2 motors can get almost 40MPG but the 2.4 gets an average of 24-26
  • there is no way they get 40mpg. i fill my tank on friday, and by monday im already at half tank. i do drive a bit, but probably about 40-50 miles. i dont see how it can get 40mpg.
  • My grandfather has a 2002 with the 2.2 liter and he drives with a really light foot. He calculated about 37 or 38 MPG. like I said almost 40MPG. For those of us who drive real world speeds, you're right, yoou'll never see close to that. When I drive his car, I get around the high 20's at best.
  • _wraith__wraith_ Posts: 16
    If you're running it to empty, then yeah, that is pretty low (less than 20mpg).

I have a 98 LS sedan with the 2.4L engine, automatic. 22-27mpg is pretty typical, with a lot of short trips.
  • I have an 01 Z24 with that motor and I clocked about 24.6 MPG. The dealer said 40 for my car but I knew that would never happen. Those 2.4 engines aren't too fuel efficient for a small car. My old 1992 Cavalier with the 3.1 V6 got 30MPG.
  • have a 97 cav gets 40 on highway with new plugs ,ignition module,coil packs.wires and plugs..tune your car up and it will get factory specs,also use luckas fuel system treatmant with every tank,also I drive in town and will get about 29 to gal. there is a different with highway and city,in the city every time you are sitting still it uses more gas. I have never gone over 60mph, when you drive fast you loose gas mileage.. but I drive lite it's only a 2.2 liter.30 dollars to fill up and get about 425 miles with tank and I have 167,000 miles on it.
  • hatefulhateful Posts: 4
    I have an 02 Cavalier. I can get 40 on the highway if I drive the right way.I don't do much highway driving;mostly 45mph zones with stop light. My last tank went 457miles for an average of 35.88 mpg. This is not on any long trips; longest drive maybe 20miles. I practice what's called "hypermiling" ( includes higher tjre pressure, swithching car off at long lights, etc) and also did some aero-dynamic modifications( nothing expensive, just soda bottle, aluminum cans and duck tape I have gotten over 500miles on a tank during the Summer. I used to be lucky to get 27mpg before.It may not be for everyone,but it's become a game for me.
  • What sort of modifications do you do with soda bottles, aluminum cans, and duct tape?
    I reshaped the nose and extended down with an air dam inches from the ground.Covered wide open area in wheel well;more in the back as they don't need room to turn. The pinch weld along the bottom sides has a duck tape side skirt with cans and bottles to form a slope to divert air around the back tire. The stock plastic hub caps are taped ( covering opening).Coke bottles cut up and screwed into vent in front of windshield to block wind from wipers. Also have aluminum window screen covering the entire underside.">
  • Very interesting. I would love to see pictures of it.
    I just uploaded some pictures to my gallery; New to site and still learning the functions.
  • Well, it's not too attractive but if you get the mileage that you say you get it might be worth it especially with prices that are going to creep up to $4 soon.
  • I get around 24 mpg in the city w/ the 2.2 L, though I have a pretty heavy foot. Cruising on the freeway though between 75 and 80 I get around 40 mpg, w/ an all time high of 41 so far.
This discussion has been closed.