Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Transmission Problems

Comments

• redrose1redrose1 Member Posts: 49
    My car is about a month old.
    When I accelerate after slowing down, the transmission seems to "slip" and then kick in, resulting in a jerk motion.
    When I coast, letting thecar slow down, somewhere between 10-20 MPH, I feel the car slow down as if there was a slight application of brake, then a slight surge forward as if brake reased then a slowing down again. Feels to me like transmission changing gears.

Anyone else have this in their outback?
  • tgl3tgl3 Member Posts: 6
    I have the exact same issue. i sent this to my dealer:

whenever i slow down, like approaching a red light, or approaching a turn,
    but don't have to come to a complete stop and can speed up again, when i
    give it the gas, the car revs like it is idling in neutral then jolts into
    gear. Do i need to bring it in? this doesn't feel "normal".

And he said i should bring it in. which i did. the gave me a loaner and kept it 2 days. after which they said they drove 2 other new 3.6 R at they dealership and they all did that, so the told me it was "normal".

If i feather the accelerator just right, then it doesn't do it. But that isn't necessary on other cars ive owned. Hopefully if more are having the issue we can get better follow up from subaru. (other than this, i really like the car though)
  • mpraspalmpraspal Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 3.6R outback as well and my car is doing the same thing. I've never noticed this on any of the 3 subarus I've owned and I do not think this is normal. I've already been to the dealer twice with the vibration issue which was modified with stabilizer kit and a new steering wheel. Anyway, I plan on taking it back to the dealer because this 'dragging' I'm experiencing when I'm coasting after I take my foot off of the accelerator should not be happening. I already have a case file with subaru. I'll just add this as number 4 to the list.
  • majbriggsmajbriggs Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue with my 2011 3.6R. Having it slam into gear can be very disconcerting and it can't be good for the transmission.

I also have a rattling sound coming from somewhere in the front right area of the car. I've noticed that a small areal of the dashboard plastic, right next to the windshield, seems to be slightly higher than it should be, so this could be the cause. Anyone else come across this?

I am planning on raising these issues with my dealer when i bring it in for my first oil change.
  • kel9kel9 Member Posts: 1
    My Legacy is an automatic with the manual shift option. During the hot months in Florida, the car under-performed often and felt like it would stall when slowing to a stop and upon accelerating, too. Had it in a few times and the dealership said there were no "updates" available, but they had a few similar comments by other drivers. I took it in again yesterday and had a major ordeal! The tech deprogrammed the ignition key and when he got it reprogrammed, then the car completely quit on him when he drove it. Now they are ordering a new computer for the car. I don't know yet if the stall scare was due to needing a new computer or what. I want to know - if the computer is replaced does that mean it's bascially a new car system? Or, could there still be engine or transmission issues that caused my original concern? Thanks for any input!
  • cudtomedcudtomed Member Posts: 1
    my 1998 legacy outback front wheel spins and squeals when you pull out of a parking lot and when you floor the gas the car acts like it grabs a gear and the car goes a little side to side and its a auto trans the wheel are not binding that i know of its has a jdm trans and eng hope the front and rear gears have the same raito
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,747
    Sounds like a bad differential or clutch pack that is not allowing the wheels to spin at different speeds without binding.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • outback99outback99 Member Posts: 2
    1999 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Automatic 180,00 miles

I can force into overdrive by: 1) Manually shifting into Neutral 2) Then, manually shift into 3 gear (which is the gear the trans is actual in) 3) And then manually shift into Overdrive. But, transmission will shift down out of OD as soon as any load is applied to the engine.

Replaced: All Valve Body with Solenoids, TCM, TPS, and O.H, Kit. Still will won't up shift into OD.

No codes or any other problems.
  • slyvest1slyvest1 Member Posts: 1
    Our 2000 wagon with 80,000 miles has a trans harness o ring leak. Dealer's fix is to seal the leak for $200 rather than replace as was recommended in posting #361. Any comments on this fix?
    Also, my Outback 2006 wagon is scheduled for its first transmission fluid replacement and the dealer told me that Subaru does not recommend a flush; just a drain and fill. Any comments on why not to flush?
  • markoneill33markoneill33 Member Posts: 1
    have 92 legacy awd 4 speed auto 135000 miles shifts hard from 1st to 2nd .not as bad in other gears fluid level seems ok
  • marzelvmarzelv Member Posts: 1
    Well.. My car is 13 years old (1997 Legacy Gt 2.5L) with 81,000 miles on it and it does that exact same thing. Not that it has much comparison other than the same type of car just a few years difference.
  • outback99outback99 Member Posts: 2
    *Also replaced: ECM, MAP sensor, and MAF sensor - NO EFFECT.

**In addition to above problem: Transmission will Shift fine if using Cruise Control.

So logically the problem has to do with the wiring - possibly a new Wiring Harness is needed, OR possibly there is a bad Ground (there are several).

I dont know enough about the circuitry between: how the transmission works using Cruise Control VS not using using Cruise Control.
  • rhincarhinca Member Posts: 1
    I am yet another frustrated Subaru owner experiencing the same transmission problem. I have a 2008 Outback automatic... for the last few months it has been lurching when it changes gears, especially when I let off the accelerator slightly. Sometimes it makes such a loud noise that everyone in the car jumps! Of course it does this intermittently (cant figure out a temperature correlation) and under different circumstances. I've taken it to the dealer 3 times (its there right now) Each time, they check it with the computer, make some adjustment, and the problem subsides for about 2 weeks. Today, they've told me that once again they've "fixed" the problem according to the computer, and that the print out reads everything is "normal." I put in a ticket with the Subaru headquarters, and am waiting for various managers to talk to other managers. I was delighted to find this thread (very validating). My 2008 Outback has never done this, and there is no way it is "normal." I will post an outcome if I get something tangible!
  • tlawlertlawler Member Posts: 5
    I used to love Subaru's but, .....My wife bought a new Outback 2011 with the 3.6 engine and immediately experienced the same "clunking" transmission issue. Major intermittent hard shifting when slowing down and then accelerating, usually at a light that turns green or when rounding a corner. Very annoying and potentially a safety issue if someone's close in front of you and it bucks badly. Since it's intermittent, it can really surprise you.

I tried to get her to return it immediately but we had a road trip vacation planned and she thought the dealer would take care of it. She's taken it in 3 times and they acknowledge the problem but claim it's normal with "this new transmission." Service Manager says the clutch pack locks up when it downshifts to protect the transmission?? and that causes the hard shift. Field Service Engineer says it's "normal." I've had 2 other 3.6 Outbacks and never experienced the issue. It's hard to believe Subaru would let this kind of driver experience out the door and then call it normal. I'm making a call to Customer Dealer Services about the issue tomorrow. You can reach them at 800-782-2873. Hopefully, someone at the corporate level will recognize this as the potential class action suit it could become and get this fixed before it metastasises and damages their enviable reputation.
  • outbackinncoutbackinnc Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the post...I am having an identical problem with my 2008 Outback automatic as well. I was starting to think that I was imagining things or that this was normal...but there is NO WAY this is normal. I had mine in and service said there was a TSB for a computer "refresh" for a transmission shifting problem, but after getting it back, there was no difference. I don't have the loud noise you mention (yet) but it lurches when trying to shift at relatively low speeds and RPMs, mostly between 25 - 25 mph and around 1500 - 2200 rpms. Going from between 1st and 2nd it's clunky, and then races up to 3rd, then downshifts to 2nd again. Also when coming to a stop it seems to hold onto 2nd gear before it downshifts to 1st, not exactly safe.

Ya know, one of the reasons I bought the Subaru because it was rated off the charts on CR, and a safe car..I hope this can be fixed and that I don't regret this decision.
    I just replied to rhinca to say that I am having a very similar problem, and also wanted to let you know you also describe the issue we're seeing with a clunking transmission in our 2008 Outback automatic. The transmission sounds like it's not been re-engineered since between 2008 and 2011. : (

I'm interested to know if you got a response from Customer Dealer Services or not. I may try the same tack and have put in a request to schedule to have the Outback looked at again because this is simply not acceptable. I'll try +18007822873 as well. Thanks for the post.
    edited January 2011
    Your car and the 2011 have different transmissions. I have owned two Subaru Outbacks with the 4EAT that is in your car (one of which was also a 2008), and they were fairly smooth, so there is certainly nothing normal about the symptoms you describe.

I suspect the issue is with the electronic control, but I would also inspect the transmission fluid to see whether there are signs of physical wear in the unit, such as a browning of the fluid (should be bright red). Either way, Subaru ought to see it fixed.

Has the car done this since new? Have you driven any others to compare "normal" to the experience you have with your car? While the Outback and Legacy no longer use the 4EAT, the Forester and Impreza do.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The symptoms may be identical but the dealership says the problem occurs with the redesigned transmission that came out with the 2011 model. I'm still trying to get ahold of Customer Dealer Services - The telephone number I gave earlier was incorrect - It should be 1-800-782-2783 - .... Reached them, told them I'd seen reports on line - they are escalating the issue... will keep you posted.
    I agree. I have owned 2 previous Outbacks both 2006, and never experienced these sorts of issues. This new 2011, started clunking in the first several hundred miles. After 3 trips to the dealer, the Regional Service honcho reported it as "normal" for this new transmission. If so, they've really slipped up. I'm currently shepherding the issue through their escalation procedure.
  • molderbmolderb Member Posts: 7
    I also have a 2011 Outback Limited 3.6 The day I drove it home is had a very rough shift. Seems to happen when not completely stopped and begin to accelerate. Took it right back, they said they did some kind of flash on the memory but it did not totally fix the problem. It has been getting progressively worse. I would NOT let a pregnant woman or anyone with a neck or back problem ride in my car at this point. The second visit back to my dealer they said they would make some calls to Subaru. I get a call back from my dealer saying that Subaru is aware of this problem but there is no fix for it at this time. My husband and I are tying to find others with the same issue, trying to figure out what our next step is/ options.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not to dismiss your experience, but I haven't heard of many other complaints about the 5EAT. Hope they can figure it out for you...
  • dsc888dsc888 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2011
    This issue is very real. I took delivery of my 2011 3.6R on 3/1 and it's clunked 3 times and it feels like someone almost hits you from behind and it's loud. And yes, it occurs when you are slowing down and then accelerating moderately say to get onto an onramp.

In fact, Autoweek documented the exact issue on their 2010 Outback Wrap Up at http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110204/CARREVIEWS/110209947

I have not contacted my dealer yet since it seems like it's more of a design issue. Otherwise the car is great. I've worked around it by accelerating more gently when I slow down. But that's only a temporary fix.
    You made my day!!! Thank you very much for posting the article. It is the issue we are having except I do not have to thunk on the gas pedal to make it happen. I'm just surprised our dealer and corporate make us feel like we have to prove ourselves. I now feel backed up with that article! Now, waiting for the next phone call.
  • dsc888dsc888 Member Posts: 6
    No problem! Just trying to help out fellow members who share a common concern. If Autoweek had this issue with their sample, then you can be sure someone at Subaru is aware and may be trying to find a way to fix this. I wonder if it is software or hardware or a combination of both that is causing the harsh transmission engagement.

There has been a few people who has had some success fixing this issue by having their dealer replace the valve bodies in the tranny over at subaruoutback.org which I frequent. Apparently it's a known issue. Check out the threads on p. 2 and 3 for more detail.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/27363-3-6r-5eat-downs- hifting-question.html
  • winddancerwinddancer Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so much. I also have a 2011 Limited 3.6. I thought at first that it was my driving, then the type of gas I was using. I couldn't believe that my "new " car was having problems already; especially since I had spent a year researching and never saw anything about this problem. All I know, is that it is potentially dangerous. I tried to merge into some traffic on the highway, when it hesitated and jerked really bad and I was almost run into. I also took it back to the dealer, who kind of passed it off. Now that I know that other owners are having similar experiences, I will be more proactive.
    The Subaru 2nd level Service rep never did get back to us. In the meantime, the vehicle has trained us to barely touch the gas pedal when going around corners or approaching traffic lights that are about to turn... a situation that needs a remedy
  • nornetnornet Member Posts: 24
    Subaru and the dealer(s) will insist that this is normal until you drop the matter. Be persistent.
  • cpatcpat Member Posts: 1
    I am relieved to see that I am not the only one having this issue with my 2011 Subaru Outback 3.6. The car currently has about 6,000 miles on it but has had the "clunk" in the transmission from the very beginning. The problem has only gotten worse. Just like others have said, the clunk occurs when I slow down, but don't stop completely, and then give it gas. My husband and I have taken it back to the dealership once already only to be told that we are just unfamiliar with how an all-wheel drive car operates. (This is our third all-wheel drive Subaru Outback...so our unfamiliarity is NOT the problem.) We are now preparing to take it in again and are hoping for some results from the dealership's service department. We purchased this car because we were extremely pleased with our previous two Outbacks. Other than this problem, we love the car. If anyone has any further info. on how to solve this issue we would love to hear it.
  • snollygostersnollygoster Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new Outback. We only have 150 miles on it and started to notice a "clunk" and definite "jerk" when accelerating after slowing down to turn a corner. Has anyone had any luck with getting this repaired or even acknowledged from your dealer, that this is a problem?
  • gwynniegwynnie Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I paid $36,077 dollars in cash for my new Outback 2011 Limited 3.6 R a month ago. I have exactly the same problems you discuss along with the others. They brought the car from another dealer to my dealer and I told them I didn't like the transmission shifting, after I had given up $2000 deposit. They said they checked it out and there's nothing wrong. I drove it again and thought okay, so I bought it. Now I isolate it to when I slow down, if I accelerate - a violent thunk. They had said I just neeeded to break it in. And the way it downshifts when slowing down, it's a wonder the gas mileage is even as good as it is. What to do? Have you learned of anything yet?
  • dlanningdlanning Member Posts: 8
    wow no kidding i think subaru just screwed up the name subaru with the bigest snap descision of all time called the CVT junk trans i will not buy it at all i was in eugune oregon and the dealer thier says the complaints are very high so subaru i will not buy the CVT AT ALL buy i want a 6th speed manual it will always work and needs only to be checked every 100,000 thousand miles or so i have a 1993 legecy wagon witch i bought new and wow i have 300,000 + now on it its an manual trans and it stills works i was going to by a new subaru outback last satadary but when the dealer said oh it belt driven in the trans i said what the BLEEP are you kidding that the most spupid thing subaru has ever done , the i asked him can i order it with a manual he said no i said well they just lost a life long customer now and it breaks my heart that subaru is now going to ruin the great name subaru , well i am vary woried for all subaru owners with a cvt trans that will never work worth a crap . well subaru you just lost me just think i almost singed my name on the loan for 36k not now good thing to i would have not been happy with the CVT trans .DUMB SUBARU .....
    That was an impressively confusing and poorly written post.

However, you can get the Outback with a manual transmission, and a six speed at that! Of course, you have to be willing to "settle" for the standard or premium trims, but the premium does offer good features even if not quite as many creature comforts as the Limited.
  • jcoe814jcoe814 Member Posts: 1
    is right, do you even know how to spell or use punctuation correctly? why would anyone on earth listen to your opinion when you can't use periods correctly or misspell words that a 4th grader knows....
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Every Outback R I've driven (with the 3.0 or 3.6 H6) exhibited clunking drive lines or "growling" felt through the steering wheel. An guessing it's additional slop/noise from the center differential. Amazing that Subaru has been unable or unwilling to fix this.
    I chose the Forester instead, which uses center clutch pack instead of differential and has very little drive line clunking.

BTW, the Audi A4 Avant has similar drive line clunkiness. They also use a center differential.
    edited May 2011
    I've got the 2008 Outback, and have felt some weird shifting patterns (not downshifting, shifts funny at slow speeds like when in parking lot) but most of these posts are about 2010/2011 models. How can i tell if i need some service or if it's same problem. One earlier post leads me to believe the trans were different in the 2008 than later models. Any advice?
  • mchappellmchappell Member Posts: 52
    I've been reading about the transmission issues with the 2011 Outback. My wife and I are going to look at a 2.5i Legacy. Do these issues apply to the 2.5 with the CVT also?

Thanks,

Mark
  • newtosubaru2newtosubaru2 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Mark

I too am about to buy a new 2011 Subaru with CVT....a 2.5i Outback.
    I understand they now use "chains" instead of belts.

I also am curious with other owners' exerience with CVT

David
    still having the issue with hard shift and still waiting on corporate to call back, has been weeks, we just keep calling. still not coming up with a fix just offering an extended warranty. this is definitely a safety issue being jerked suddenly, especially on the icey roads.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    They gave me a new Outback as a loaner. From dealer to my house (roughly 17 miles) the car is showing 32.6 mpg with the CVT on the mpg gauge. Saw 34 mpg a couple of times on the highway. So far so good. :)

Bob
    edited May 2011
    Sweet. I hear you can go nearly 80mph at 2000rpm on the highway.

Just as a comparison, my Miata is only going 42mph at 2000rpm, and that's in SIXTH gear!

It must hum along quietly.
  • davyb94davyb94 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Legacy that most of the time wont shift it is stuck in 3rd gear. I was thinking it was a torque converter issue. any ideas?
  • mal6mal6 Member Posts: 1
    Throttle Position Sensor would be a good place to look first. Depending on whether it was equipped with it that far back in time, check the solenoid in transmission. Given that the vehicle is nearly 20 years old, it could be numerous things, but those two would be good to check before pulling it apart. When was the the fluid last changed? Was it ever driven dry?
  • subyturtlesubyturtle Member Posts: 3
    I have a new one for you all, I think. My 2011 3.6R with 2,000 miles on it won't go in reverse. I had to be towed from a parking lot on Saturday! I have experienced the same clunking in reverse and hard shifting when slowing/accelerating that everyone has and have been meaning to get to the dealer, but life has gotten in the way. I guess I can't ignore it any longer!

My husband wants our money back as he has no confidence in the2011 OB transmission (this is our third OB-no problems with the first 2). What are the chances the dealer will refund our money or do they have the right to try and fix the extremely screwed up transmission? I took the car sight unseen from another dealer as I had driven others but this was the color/configuration I wanted.
  • dlanningdlanning Member Posts: 8
    all i know is that the CVT transmssion is junk and lost of people are realy pissed off and some retard at subaru decided to put subaru name and at risk and hurt thier customers ,it sounds like an american ceo , but if you take it in and you want your money back i would just ask for an exchange for the same car but with a manual trans . Subaru has never had prolbems with the manual trans at all and don't let the delear BS. you at all on it if they say it doesent come with a manual in that model then they are Liar's! i know because i got on with the 3.6r and i love it and no funney sounds just great running and the traction on the ice is better than in a manual trans and also for towing as well the transmission will handle the load with out harm.
  • isweet1126isweet1126 Member Posts: 1
    My car has just started with this problem.. I have brand new tires, when I go in revers i feel the car shift gears but the car does not move. when I press the gas peddle the car I feel like the tires lock and when I press the gas peddle again then the car will move. But the car hesitates to move. Also when i pull off my front tires they skid. which never happened before. While im driving the car changes gears fine. I don't know what is wrong with my car????
  • htakeuchhtakeuch Member Posts: 2
    I am looking in to purchasing a new Legacy 2.5i. I went to the dealer and they didn't have a manual transmission one so I test drove a manual Outback. The salesman said that it'll will be the same car just with a different body. I liked how the Outback drove and I liked the interior of the car (I sat on a automatic model of the legacy).

I really like the car and I am thinking of purchasing one with a manual transmission.. is it worth it? or does the manual legacy give problems with the transmission as well??? I saw a recall on the NHTSA website for the manual transmission for this car as well and I am worried about that too. Just asking because I really liked the car but if its too much of a trouble I will keep on shopping around. Thanks !!!
    My problem was with the automatic and the large engine. I've not heard of any issues with the manual trannies.
  • htakeuchhtakeuch Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply I am hearing many positive reviews from actual owners I might go for the legacy after all. Hope your issue with your car gets resolved.

Thanks
  • dmbhdbdmbhdb Member Posts: 1
    Having read this thread and several that were linked from it I wanted to ask a question to people experience issues. I have a new 2011 Legacy that was just picked up June 30, we have put about 1100 miles on it. A few times we have discovered the coasting to a stop and hard downshifting issue. I have started looking into whether it's a big deal or something that has to do with the tramission build, etc. My question: Did this happen to people who had only 1 driver using the car, or more than one? I've read so much about the car "learning" a driving style and my fiance and I rotate who drives and we're wondering if we have a hand in it's problem.
    Is yours the H6? Because the 4 bangers have the CVT...