Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy TrailBlazer Headlight Questions

Comments

• sad4305sad4305 Member Posts: 1
    I had a very similar problem with my 05 TB. After two days of troubleshooting and replacing the alternator, confirming grounds, etc. GM tells me I needed a new battery. I'm picking it up tonight and I guess we'll see if it's "really" fixed.
    A person doesn't need the added attention of lights strobing.
  • jhornsbyjhornsby Member Posts: 1
    My right front headlamp kept blowing the lowbeam bulb. When I removed the lamp to replace the bulb I found the bulb socket brown and slightly melted. I wired in a new socket with one from Carquest and have not had any more problems. It looked to me like the original socket was of poor quality.
  • lvenemalvenema Member Posts: 2
    My TB acted up within days of delivery. First dealer reprogrammed the computer for a problem with the lights dimming while at idle. No fix. Second dealer replaced a couple of electronic modules, repaired some grounds and make more checks. Called tech support, was told the problem was the emission system, AIR pump or something like that, was the problem. It could come on at any time and was a heavy load on the electrical system. It happened one morning when coming home from work in a bad snow storm in the country. The lights were constantly blinking, both inside and out. Finally got tired of the terrible mileage and the untrustworthy electrical system and got rid of it before it went out of warranty.
  • ashers0718ashers0718 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know why I haven't searched for fellow 05 TB owners with strobe lights for head lights. My head lights started dimming from high/low to off about 3 years ago, with the conditions right, like: foot off the accelerator, no one if the passenger seat (air bag would be off then). Slowly, the interior lights began to dim as well. I took it in; of course, nothing found. They just tightened the battery cables.

A month later, the lights began to dim again. Only this time, there was associated powering down of the engine...at least that's the easiest way to describe it. That has continued after another trip to the shop and a complete diagnostic work-up. It has continued, now seems to do it occasionally with day time lights and at night regardless if I have a passenger or not. The only thing that remains the same as the start is no dimming when accelerating or constant speed using the accelerator. Lights dim with cruise, braking, or just coasting.

Warming up the car doesn't help. It can start 5 minutes after turning it on or 30 mins. Just this morning, it was the worst ever! Felt as though the car was going to stall completely. A 20 min drive. Dimming all around for the whole drive. Went to the dealer, picked up the head service guy. No, he didn't get to experience it b/c it stopped when I hit city limits. Oh, and now change in any gauges. Voltage and RPM's remain the same. No difference with increase/decrease in electrical use inside the cabin.

Anyone else experiencing the combined lights and engine 'dimming'???

Thanks!
  • cy_ccy_c Member Posts: 5
  • 2003tb2003tb Member Posts: 1
    jseto - your directions are right on except my TB doesn't have a fender brace on the PAX side. Thanks for posting.
  • jeffbauckmanjeffbauckman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Trailblazer and the passenger side highbeam headlight will not turn off. It's on even when the car is off. Any ideas?

Thanks
  • con57con57 Member Posts: 1
    My front head light is out, there is no information in the owners manual as to remove and replace it. any information on how to do this would be great.
  • mcarlinmcarlin Member Posts: 1
    I started researching these problems because I have a 2005 TrailBlazer that has had this same problem since I purchased it. Driving at night it is more noticable than in the day time, however it happens all times of night and day. The interior and exterior lights will dim, the A/C fan will slow down, and at times the engine will loose power. I have had it in to the dealer every couple of months and they can't find anything wrong with it. They changed the battery last week, but it did not help. I was told that until it throws an error into the computer they cannot trace it. I was also told that one other GM vehicle has had a similar problem and a recall, the wiring harness was found to be defective. However it was not the TrailBlazer. With all of these similar problems, there has to be a common thread.
  • gfriesgfries Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 trailblazer with a viper alarm system. Recentely the alarm has been going off two times, consecutively, once we arm it. Noticed that the front head lights are staying on for 7.5 minutes after we activate the alarm before it goes off the first time. Then we reset it, the parking light stays on for 2.5 minutes and it goes off again. We reset this time and all is ok. Does anyone have any knowledge of a timer system or anything else on the headlights that may be causing this to happen?
  • 73z173z1 Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 trailblazer passenger side headlight flikers when you hit a bump. the reflector in the headlight looks lose when you hit it with your hand.can thie be repaired?
  • rmpearermpeare Member Posts: 1
    my 2004 trailblazer was in an accident where the right front headlight and bracket were replaced. after the repair work, the headlight giggles/flickers when driving down the road. the repair shop could not determine why it still giggles, and looking at the assembly, it all looks to be in-tact. But if I bounce my hand off the headlight or bumper, the light giggles. Its a bit annoying during night time driving. any recommendations/suggestions.

blazin trails
  • outtacontrol99outtacontrol99 Member Posts: 1
    wow guys this prob is driving me insane

i bought an HID kit thats fully genuine. the first time i installed it in my 2008 trailblazer ltz the lights just disconnected unknowingly. i checked both fuses for the high and low beams(HIDs on the low beams btw), and theyre both good. my assumption was that the IC turned them off as a trouble code. i took it to the dealer and they fixed it on warranty. Now i got no warranty and i redid the same moistake and they still disconnected. simply i wanna put the old ones bak now, any light how to reset the IC or fix the prob????
  • palyjo52palyjo52 Member Posts: 2
    I have had 2 occasions where my headlights went off while I was driving at night. I saw a similar problem reported with a 2003 Trailblazer, but the driver indicated that 'high beams' worked, thought the low beams were OUT.

I did not try high beams when I lost my headlights, so I don't know if my problem is the same as the 2003 TB.

Has anyone else seen this problem on a 2002 Trailblazer? What was your resolution?

Thanks...Pat
  • jodilb67jodilb67 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 03 trailblazer and lately i have noticed them dimming and returning to normal. Did that happen to you before they started going out? I thought i was crazy!

thanks
    Jodi
  • palyjo52palyjo52 Member Posts: 2
    I didn't NOTICE notice any dimming, but I couldn't swear it didn't happen. The lights went from perfectly bright to totally dark in a blink of the eye. It might be worth checking out before you get out on the road and lose your lights entirely.

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to call On-Star when the headlights went out. They can sometimes run a remote diagnostic on the vehicle and it would have been nice to get a diagnostic run when the problem was actually occurring.

I took the T'Blazer in for service, and they could not duplicate the problem, but replaced a headlamp relay or something similar. I couldn't risk going on the road at night with the possibility of this happening again.

Pat
  • mkb3mkb3 Member Posts: 2
    I have had several occasions where the headlights on my 2002 Trailblazer went out. It was pretty scarry when it happened late at night on the freeway with a lot of traffic around. I was able to turn the switch off and back on and they came on again but it did not work the next time. They just came back on by themselves. I will have to limit my night driving.

I have also noticed a clicking noise in the dash area by the steering column and I don't know if this is related. It usually only happens when I start the car.

I hope someone posts a solution to this problem.
  • dont437dont437 Member Posts: 6
    That happened to me just a few nights ago in my 2002 Trailblazer EXT. I keep the switch on automatic so that the headlights come on when it's dark. Well, it was pitch black outside and as I was driving, the headlights went off completely!! I immediately tried the high beams and they came on. I turned the headlight switch to manual, but they still did not come on, so I left the high beams on. Right before we got to the restaurant, the lights started working. Then when we left, the same thing happened,at first the lights were fine, then they went out and the high beams worked. So, I called the local Chevy service dept today and the service manager said it sounded like the multifunction switch and it would probably cost about $300. I don't know if that's with labor or not. So, I've been searching the Internet for more info. If anyone has anymore info, please send it my way!! Thanks!!
  • rypmrypm Member Posts: 2
    Our 2002 does the same thing. Did you find a solution to this??? Sounds like we are not alone and it happens to newer models.
  • jodilb67jodilb67 Member Posts: 2
    I actually thought it was my imagination. I live in the country so it is not until i drive on the back roads that i notice it. So for about three months i thought it was me, but now that i started reading all of these messages did i realize it is not me and i have to take it to the shop. My four wheel drive has also broken 3 times, not the power drive but the relay that allows it to go to 4wd. So when it goes in for one it will go in for both. I will absolutely turn the button to on instead of the automatic on. I also drive with my fog lights on just in case.
    thank you for responding
    Jodi Pound
  • rypmrypm Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever find out the cause...ours does this all the time and we have to drive with the brights on until it stops.
  • 72elky72elky Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Trailblazer and the headlamps went out last night. I have no idea what that is about haven't had time to check on it. But I do know that the clicking you are hearing is probably the one of the Sylinoid switches for the A/C -Heating ducts. They are electric and sometimes start to stick. When you start the car they will make repeated clicks and they do sound like they are coming from the steering column area. Dealer fixed mine cost about $150.00.

If you find anything on the headlights let me know.
  • rcaston19rcaston19 Member Posts: 2
    did you get your headlamps to work? let me know what was wrong... rcaston19@aol.com
  • rcaston19rcaston19 Member Posts: 2
    did you find a fix??
  • famerfamer Member Posts: 1
    In Nov. '08 my driver's side headlight bulb went out. Upon checking, the socket/clip for the bulb was fried. Had to replace the entire headlight system. Luckily I found a used one at the local junk yard. Now 3 months later, Feb. '09, my passenger side did the exact same thing. Clip/socket is fried and need to replace the entire headlight again. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem??
  • mrfixit4mrfixit4 Member Posts: 4
    Have a 2003 Trailblazer and have replaced low beam bulbs on each side numerous times, seems like every 3 - 4 months. Found the socket that plugs to the bulb burnt and one had shorted. Advance Auto offered a replacement socket which required cutting off the factory socket and soldering on the new one. Today I had to replace another bulb and I found one of the replacement sockets also burnt. Not sure what is causing this type of failure, but isn't good!
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    A long time ago I replaced the sockets with ceramic ones. Heat is the culprit.
  • hawkeye2376hawkeye2376 Member Posts: 3
    Burdawg - Where do you get the ceramic sockets? -Thanks!
    Either Pep Boys or Autozone, I don't remember.
  • johns75johns75 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same issue. As I replaced the bulbs several times at a Napa parts store Then they told me to see a mechanic near-by for the solution. Answer: chevy makes the wiring harnes's too small to supply the voltage needed. Mechanic sold me a Delpi wiring harness ($30.0) to attach to the bulb socket. 8 months have passed with no issues. I hope this helps.
  • dont437dont437 Member Posts: 6
    My headlights bulbs didn't actually burn out, they just went off by themselves! I have the sensor where they come on automatically. It just happened again a few weeks ago and I had to pull over, stop the motor, then start it again. Thank God they came back on. I am puzzled and don't want to spend a lot to get it fixed! Like I said before, the service manager at our local dealership said that it sounded like the relay switch which is costly to replace. But he didn't know for sure. Did your bulbs actually burn out? Or did you have the same trouble I have had?
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    '06 pre-owned certified,4.2L.Lights vibrate at nite,dealer re-positioned headlight locks.Still shake.Grill originally seemed loose,but not since dealer "fixed". Any thoughts?
  • franannebfrananneb Member Posts: 1
    Our daughter's 2002 Chevy Trailblazer headlights went out abruptly the other night and would not come back on. After reading your post, I walked out to her car and did what you suggested, swapping the #46 fuse with the #45. My husband's jaw dropped when that solved the problem...he promptly went to Auto Zone and bought a replacement fuse for under forty bucks. We had discussed taking the car to the dealer, but your suggestion saved us the time and money. Thank you so much!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Lights vibrate at nite...

Do you mean that you can see the light beams move (on pavement or whatever) or do you mean you can hear sound emanating from the lightbulbs?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • c118fec118fe Member Posts: 23
    on green interstate signs,low signs along hiway.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It could be that the screws used to adjust the headlamp position are broken.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • speer12614speer12614 Member Posts: 1
    how did you replace the socket? i have a new socket for my 02 trailblazer. i know how to get the lighting assembly disattached from the car, but when i removed the cap, i couldn't figure out where to wire the socket. do i just strip the wires and rewire the new one on, or do i need to take more of the car apart?
  • jbs_fancijbs_fanci Member Posts: 3
    My 02 TrailBlazer "Service Engine Soon" light is on more than it is off. Diagnostic hook-up says it needs a Cam Sensor.

Now about 3 different times I have drove it at night the Low Beams shut off by theirselves and turned dial switch from automatic to manual does NOT work....have to drive home on Brights....after a few miles I can go back to low beams, but they will go out again after a few miles!

The cruise will only work a few times a month, also.

SO....since the high beam switch and cruise are all on the same lever on the column, are those issues related, or is the cruise messing up due to the cam sensor which makes my TB want to die at stops at times????

Any ideas here? Called Chevrolet today and they can find NO recalls on any of this and the local dealer says just to find the problem is $34/hour at about 2-6 hours.

Ummmm.....gouging!??!?!
  • chell94chell94 Member Posts: 1
    I just had the same thing happen to me. I own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and my low beam head lights went out. I swapped the #45 & #46 Relays. It worked fine this morning, but when I went out for lunch my running lights don't come on any more. For the moment I can turn on my low beams but the running lights don't come on. Can anyone help. What is a permenant fix for the low beam lights going completly out? I call the Chevy Dealer yesterday and they want $98 bucks just to tell me what is wrong with it. I don't think so. :confuse: :lemon: :sick:
  • dwr134dwr134 Member Posts: 1
    2004 Trailblazer low beams not working (kept going out but would come back on) changed the #45 and #46 relays and lights started working. Will be picking up new relay tommorrow. Thanks!
  • cwb7266cwb7266 Member Posts: 1
    Doing research and saw this post. I have the same issue with low beam lights going off and on....However, I have a 2007 TB - was just told by GM dealer that the "entire block" has to be replaced (part $207 and labor $160). I do not have a clue what they are talking about, except its under the seat. Does my car not have the "relays #45 and #46"? Sorry I am ignorant when it comes to cars and I am tired of getting screwed.
  • keithb5keithb5 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 05 Trailblazer. The lights dim because the alternator normally produces 14.5 volts. The battery output is about 12 volts. The voltage drops momentarily when the alternator fails to produce 14.5 volts. I have also noticed the problem during a hard acceleration, which caused me to think it was a slipping serpentine belt. However, the random dimming occurs while driving at a steady speed. Dealer replaced the under-hood fuse block (not the one under the rear seat) as well as the alternator. Neither action fixed the problem. I wonder if it is possible to connect the diagnostic computer and let us drive the cars for a few days with the computer connected.
  • fj4072fj4072 Member Posts: 29
    Your problem is your relay. #46 under the hood. If this happens again, try switching #46 with #45, same relay only for the fan clutch. If they go back on, this is your problem. Autozone has them for $40
  • pdesimonepdesimone Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Trailblazer with130,000 miles. Snowed the other day and when I turned my Transfer Case Controls, nothing happened. No yellow light came on and no 4WD.
    Any ideas on what to check for. I looked in the owner's manual and saw that Fuse Number 8 says "Automatic Transfer Case" so first thing tomorrow I'll check that. That would be too easy but I'm hoping it's blown. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • allen777allen777 Member Posts: 1
    This is a continuing dangerous problem. The night before the the night before Xmas, my wife was doing some last minute shopping before a 280 mile drive
    the next day. Wife called - no lights. She drove home with the brights while I found all this information about fuse #46 and #45, thanks to this site I switched the fuses, even though the fuse in #46 (headlamp) was then working. At least I know what to do if it happens during our trip. Merry Christmas GM, you may be bankrupt but you won't steal Christmas from us.
  • goosehuntergoosehunter Member Posts: 3
    I have replaced my headlights on my 03 trailblazer at least 4 times this past year and dont know why they keep going out. a couple years ago one of the sockets melted and i replaced it and it seemed to work fine for a while bu the dam things keep going out now. Any ideas anyone would be great.
  • fj4072fj4072 Member Posts: 29
    First things first. Make sure there aren't any finger prints on the bulbs, the grease will cause a hot spot and cause it to blow quicker. If you do touch these bulbs, wipe down with alcohol. 2. Use die-electric grease on the socket next time, will prolong the life of the bulb and dissapate any excessive heat generated. Check for loose, or dirty connections at the battery and alternator, could have an electrical surge which will cause these to pop quicker also, cleaning these up will help. 3. Make sure you have the right wattage, I believe that OEM is 51w, but any more than 55w will blow quicker also. These are the basics, next would be replacing the wiring harness that goes to the lights.
  • goosehuntergoosehunter Member Posts: 3
    question for u did u ever get the headlight problem fixed and if so what did you do. i have a 03 trailblazer and i replaced the melted socket on the drivers side and the dam thing kepps blowing again any ideas on what to do. please help this is really pissing me off
  • hawkeye2376hawkeye2376 Member Posts: 3
    I did get mine fixed after going through a few bulbs and 1 socket. I eventually got 2 new sockets capable of higher temps (I think they're ceramic) from the local parts store. I guess the original stock sockets (and their original replacements) are only capable of handling the heat from the original bulbs, or their equivalent. All bulbs I tried (3 different brands) blew and/or melted the sockets until I replaced them. Since installing the high-temp sockets, I haven't had any problems.
    Ditto for me. The halogen bulbs get hot.