Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda 2

maverickmaverick Member Posts: 11
edited July 2014 in Mazda
I read an article this morning about the new Mazda 2 for Europe. Has anyone heard whether Ford has any plans to bring this car to the states? I continue to be baffled by their logic? Mazda seems to be the only division that gives the public what they want in cars. They decided to dress up the old Focus rather than bring the European car to the U.S. No wonder the Japanese and Korean car makers are kicking our butts.

http://www.independent.co.uk/living/motoring/road_tests/article2708272.ece

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,934
    yeah, i saw the pic in a magazine recently, too. It looks like a neat little car, but I'm not sure how much of a market it would have here. I think the mazda3 is a pretty small car as it is. Granted, the versa and yaris are even smaller, but considering those won't be selling in large numbers, I think it best mazda stays out of the competition for such a small market share.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    Here's more pics of the Mazda 2:

http://paultan.org/archives/2007/02/14/2008-mazda-2-preview/

There's talk of Ford bringing the Fiesta here in 2009-10, but that looks an awful lot like a sawed off Focus.
    There's talk of Ford bringing the Fiesta here in 2009-10

If they do, I'm sure they would change the name. The Fiesta name doesn't exactly carry fond memories in this country.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    Mazda2 wins world car of the year!

Too bad we won't see it in the USA for while yet.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    "If they do, I'm sure they would change the name. The Fiesta name doesn't exactly carry fond memories in this country."

I read that Ford will keep the Fiesta name. Regarding the memories from the late '70s/early '80s built-in- Germany Fiesta that ford sold here, was a well designed, decent car in its day; agile, quick, economical, contemporary. It competed with the VW Rabbit and Renault LeCar, and got good reviews

The small Ford car that succeeded the Fiesta was the Mazda designed, built-in-Korea Festiva, was also a good car in its category, and durable too.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    I'm still puzzled by MazdaUSA inaction. Gas prices are here to stay, the car is a sure winner, fitting the lineup better than Tribute and other trucks. What are they waiting for?
  • socal2006socal2006 Member Posts: 44
    My guess is that they are production limited right now. They sold 100,000 of these babies in only 8 months... big numbers for Mazda. USA is probably the last place that Mazda wants to sell Mazda2s built in Japan as the dollar is weak right now and this is a low priced vehicle. Most likely, if Mazdausa were to sell these, they would be built either in the US or Mexico. Thus, I think Mazdausa is waiting on Ford to launch the Fiesta first.

or rather, Ford is making Mazdausa wait until Ford launches the Fiesta.
  • d_hyperd_hyper Member Posts: 130
    I agree. This is the only plausible explanation I can think of too. Mazda3 is built in Japan too and is still sold for profit (I hope). The margins are probably getting a lot smaller. I'd think they should be able to sell Mazda2 for $12-14K, but with all the raves around the world, US isn't priority.
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    "...the 2 delivers real driving thrills with good fuel returns. Bearing in mind the Mazda’s generous standard kit and competitive pricing, Ford’s Fiesta – which shares 60 per cent of the 2’s underpinnings – has its work cut out. It will have to be even more stylish and a sensation to drive when it arrives in November."
    http://newsletter.autoexpress.co.uk/c/1fxnS4wRzM8Cvbtj

Here's the better "Mazda2" :P :
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1858ec/9
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Nah, they will "Amer-ify" the Fiesta, whereas Mazda would bring us the pure Mazda2 if they were to start selling that model here. Look how much cash Ford has had to put on the hood of the Focus over the years just to move them, whereas Mazda has never had to push or incentivize the Mazda3 at all, and it has been their best-selling model for most of the decade.

I think that with Versa, Yaris, and Fit sales waaaaaay up and gas prices causing a supply shortage of anything making decent mpgs, Mazda will rethink this in the near future and figure out a way to sell 2's here at a profit.

At least, I sure hope so!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• raychuang00raychuang00 Member Posts: 541
    It's time to move this message thread forward: Mazda has confirmed that they are bringing the Mazda2 to the US market probably late fall 2010 as a 2011 model.

The question right now is what will be the drivetrain option for the US market. I'm sure they'll use the 1.5-liter ZY-VE MZR engine rated at around 105 bhp, Manual transmission will like a five-speed unit, but will Mazda use a CVT automatic (already available on the Japanese-market Mazda Demio, as the Mazda2 is known in Japan) or use the new Powershift six-speed dual-clutch transmission already planned for the US-market Mk. 6 Ford Fiesta, which is built on the same DE platform the Mazda2 uses?
  • bluepantherbluepanther Member Posts: 1
    if it's even possible, is it cost effective to import one?
  • creakid1creakid1 Member Posts: 2,032
    If it's a Canada-legal model, then most likely you can. But there might be a tax penalty if the car is not assembled in North America (including Mexico).

If not...

Someone made it in California w/ the previous-generation Nissan Skyline from Japan. & one additional identical vehicle was needed just to pass the crash-test portion of the U.S. certification. The total cost was several times more than the price of the car.
  • autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    Based on recent news the arrival of the Mazda2 in both the US and Canada is planned as early as July. Look out for specifics regarding the model in the upcoming months. Here's hoping that some reliable fuel efficiency numbers become available this year also.
  • tunisjstunisjs Member Posts: 5
    in a shopping mall static display in jakarta, indonesia. im 6'2", 200 lbs, and it was a decent fit in the driver's seat. visibility fine, looks good on outside. mazda 2 here is made in thailand. disappointed that auto trans is 4 speed.
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I've been following the Ford Fiesta development and have been interested in the Mazda 2 since I saw one in Spain in 2008. Fast forward to today................

I was at the Buffalo, NY auto show and lo and behold what was in the back of Mazda's display, tucked into a corner....a dark red (with a hint of orange maybe?) Mazda 2! I couldn't believe they actually had one there, I was dumbfounded. No window sticker or anything, and I overheard a salesman say later: "we know almost nothing about the car, other than it handles pretty well." The seats are comfy (for a 6-2 225lb guy) and the car is neat and tidy inside with respect to design. I did see the Ford Fiesta in-person finally for comparison but it was on an island and no one was allowed to touch it (boo Ford!). The Fiesta dash is a lot "busier", a little more space-age bling. It will be interesting to compare the price of the two. I noticed the Mazda is almost exactly the same size of a Yaris 5-door in every respect except the Mazda is about 5 inches longer. I hate that center instrument cluster in the Yaris......
    last year at the NY (city) auto show you couldn't get in the Fiesta. I can't believe they are still keeping people away from it a year later!

• mtenamtena Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2010
    I'm intrigued, but I'm thinking we'll pull the trigger on a Mazda3 before then.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/MAZDA2.action#/home
    edited April 2010
    According to the Mazda Canada site (www.mazda.ca)
    - Engine: 1.5 L with 5 speed manual or 4 speed automatic; 100 hp / 98 ft lb of torque
    - Pricing: GX manual= C$13,995; GS manual= C$18,195; Automatic= C$1,100
    - Weight: 2300 to 2360 lbs. (depending on model)

p.s. the Mazda2 has the zip being 25% lighter than the Mazda3
    p.p.s. the Mazda2 arrives in Canadian showrooms this summer (July)
    Some cost-cutting areas of the Mazda2 in comparison to the Mazda3:

- Engine: 1.5L ; 100hp; Mazda3 has 2L and 2.5L with 148 -156 hp
    - Transmission: 5 spd (manual) 4 spd (auto); Mazda3 has 6 spd manual, 5 spd (auto)
    - Brakes: Discs (front) + Drum (rear); Mazda3 has 4 discs
    - Suspension: Macpherson (front) + Trosion beam (rear); Mazda3 has multilink (rear)
This discussion has been closed.