Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

5-20w vs. 5-30w oil

knittyknitty Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Ford
I have a 2002 Windstar and I took it to have the oil changed. When I got home, my huband looked at the invoice and noticed that they had put 5-30w oil and he says it was supposed to take 5-20w. Is this a huge problem that needs to be corrected immediately, or can it slide this one time? My husband is all ready to start a big fight with the place and I just want to understand why. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    No need for your H to have a seizure over the oil. Just go back and get it changed to 5-20. They'll probably do it for free or cost. Hope this helps.
  • 5213252132 Posts: 62
    I put 10w30 in mine, it provides better engine protection during hot weather [like in Florida]
  • old89lscold89lsc Posts: 7
    Around 2000, Ford (and perhaps, Honda) changed the engine oil specification from 5W-30 to 5W-20 for many vehicles. This was done without any actual engine mechanical changes. The reason was to improve fuel economy. The 5W-20 is less viscous (thinner) at operating temperature and, therefore, reduces the internal friction losses. Actually fuel economy gains (<5%) aren't likely to be noticed outside of the controlled environment of a lab. In other words, you and I can't tell the difference.

The downside is that, given the same base stock, a 5W-20 oil will have less viscosity index improver in it, meaning that over time it may degrade to a less suitable oil more quickly than would a 5W-30 oil. The difficulty of the 5W-20 grade can partly be seen in that it is only offered in a synthetic blend formulation, typical base stocks would be dangerous to use in such an application.

In the end, I prefer synthetic 5W-30 over 5W-20. I feel a lot safer with it and it doesn't cost more. In the hot summer time, I actually use 10W-30.
This discussion has been closed.