Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercury Mariner Hybrid A/C Questions

car_is_hairycar_is_hairy Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Mercury
I've read this about the Mariner Hybrid only -- that if you are running the A/C you lose out on your electric motor assist -- therefore its like you've got a regular 4 cyl car basically. Only when A/C is on.

Comments

• gmcquestongmcqueston Member Posts: 2
    I doubt that is fact as gas mileage would go out the window. Is the Mariner a 4 cyl?

The Highlander is a 6 cyl.
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    Basically, the car has no electric AC compressor like the Prius. So if you want AC, the gas engine must be running.
    It is not too bad for a short time at a traffic stop, on a cloudy day, when temps are not too high, and the car is facing away from the sun, and you are not menopausal, or in a hurry, or under stress, or a million other things.
    Otherwise, we keep the selector knob pointed at the ORANGE range, where the engine runs all the time, thusly the AC compressor will run as needed.
    The WHITE range allows the engine shut-off when at slower speeds, or idling.
    However the blower still blows at idle, it is just not cooled by the AC. Until the engine starts, or your speed increases above the low-speed threshold.
  • kay22kay22 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2008 Mariner Hybrid, if you use A/C with economy on the car will go into electric at lights and when slow. Otherwise the electric will not come on at all. Also when have the defrost on for the front windows, the electric will not kick in.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I have 2008 Mariner Hybrid, if you use A/C with economy on the car will go into electric at lights and when slow. Otherwise the electric will not come on at all. Also when have the defrost on for the front windows, the electric will not kick in. "

I think you mean EV mode, which is 100% electric. The FEH hybrid system uses the electricity at all times and at all speeds, either charging or discharging the batteries.
This discussion has been closed.