Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MX-5 Miata 2008

Comments

• Options
    aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    What is the name of the dealer and what state? I will tell you if they have them or not.
  • Options
    wilzapwilzap Member Posts: 107
    Biggers Mazda, Elgin Il.
  • Options
    Ok, they have 0 2007's in stock.

They are showing a GT Stormy Blue w/tan interior and suspension package 6-speed manual. It has been produced, not in inventory, but, has a VIN. Also a GT in True Red/ black interior and premium package 6 speed auto. Not produced yet, no VIN. They DO have a Touring in Black w/ black interior with a 6-speed auto. Showing a ship date of 9/24 from the port.

Keep in mind, Mazda usually will post vehicles on a dealers website, even though they have not been shipped yet. Usually, if they have a VIN, they will show in their inventory.

Oh, before I forget. They could have already reported some hard tops as sold, therefore, they would not show in their inventory, but, are on their lot for sale as new vehicles. Mazda allows that in certain instances.
  • Options
    Thanks, I have one but I know someone who is looking for one,I will pass the word on to him, He is the one who really wants the speed version but I don't think he wants to wait that long for it, or if it would be available in a hardtop..
  • Options
    sher2327sher2327 Member Posts: 43
    Do you have an idea of how long the car sits at port after getting off the ship, then gets put on rail to the dealer? Mine is scheduled to be in port on 11/2, so just wondering how long it will take to get through that process and to the dealer.
    Thanks
  • Options
    That all depends. I am located in CT, and the port for my region is NJ. It is usually a couple weeks once it hits the port. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Your dealer should have an ETA for the car to land at the dealership.
  • Options
    Thanks. Mine is coming into Tacoma and I'm in ND so 2 weeks sounds reasonable. The dealer has provided the report that shows production and shipping. I'm sure he'll be checking it Monday morning as it was to arrive yesterday at Tacoma. The sooner it gets to the dealership, the sooner they get their cash!! I'm super excited to get it, even if it is winter! :shades:
  • Options
    Sounds like you might see it soon,Congrats,I've only had mine 5 weeks,it seems like its been a lot longer. It will be here before you know it!! and its not quite winter yet :)
  • Options
    milkeymilkey Member Posts: 66
    Hi! Just joined this blog after reading it for several weeks. I'm also in ND and having difficulty finding a dealer who can order an '08 PRHT. Can you help me out? I've found several dealers on several websites with '08 models in stock, but I prefer to order my own and wait 'til next spring to take delivery. I'll be in Minneapolis next weekend so I plan on begging at at least 3 dealerships there, but have no idea what my odds will be.
    HELP!! :cry:
  • Options
    When you go to Minneapolis check out Walser,I travel up that way a lot and they worked well with me on getting my son in a Mazda 6,when I was there, this lady was picking up a new PRHT she ordered, they wanted to get my business on my '08 PRHT but I got lucky and the dealer by me had one allotted to them so I snatched it up..
  • Options
    gputzgputz Member Posts: 49
    If you don't already know.... The PRHT is ordered quarterly and each dealer only gets a few, if any, to sell. It's difficult to time this since you have to be in the right place at the right time. Good luck. Assume 5 months "build time" if you find an available car, anything less is not typical. My July order is due next month.
  • Options
    Hi there, I would highly recommend a dealer in St. Cloud, Eich Motors. They were honest about the allocation process. From what I've read on this site and others, there are some real unethical dealers out there, telling buyers they have an allocation, but they don't for months down the road. That's the story with my local dealer, nothing allocated until mid-08 and I didn't want to wait. Eich was straight forward and I was glad I chose St. Cloud over Mps/St. Paul. Be prepared to pay MSRP, there are no deals to be had on this car. With the limited production, the price is what it is...I hope we don't live in the same town because I wanted to be the only one with a PRHT! HA, just kidding. Hope you have good luck, order now if you can find an allocation and you will have it in 4-6 months. Let me know how it goes for you!
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for the replies, guys. Walser in Burnsville was already first on my list, as I've been there several times in the past, although I've never bought from them. I was aware from this blog about the "quarterly" thing, so I imagine if I can even find someone to take my money, the earliest they'll put in with Mazda will be Jan. (which is OK). Sher2327, unless you're from Minot, you won't have to worry about me upstaging you! But, of course, since ND's population is just one medium-sized metropolis anyway, it's only a matter of time before we park next to one another at the local mall! I found Eich on the web a few days ago actually, and I'll take your advice on them, as well. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    Hey, I'm safe, I'm in Bis. Good luck on making a deal! I'll let you know when I get mine, should be in the next few weeks. :)
  • Options
    I hope you'll be able to drive it b4 the snow hits... I'll want to hear all about your driving impressions once it arrives. BTW, I have awesome news! :surprise: Earlier today I contacted Walser Mazda via their website, and let them know I was in the market for an '08. I hadn't been offline for more than an hour when I got a phone call from "Liz" at Walser who proceeded to tell me that she had ONE MX-5 PRHT left in her allocation, which is due this Wednesday!! "Do you want it?" she asked, and "what color do you want it in?!" After picking myself off the floor, I (trying to sound calm) managed to say, "Copper red mica with tan leather, please!!" I feel like I won the lottery, but I don't have anything but a stranger's word on the other end of a phone call at this point. I was ready to pledge my firstborn in order to seal the deal, but Liz assures me she will call me Wed. (after putting in my request) to
    get my deposit, finish paperwork, etc. After hearing what some of you on this blog have gone thru to secure your PRHT, this sounds too good to be true. Like someone said earlier, timing is everything. Obviously, I feel pretty good right now, but I'll feel better once I have a purchase agreement in hand! :D I'll keep you posted.
  • Options
    destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    Congratulations! I have the 2007 and love it. I got the Brilliant Black Clearcoat with black leather and automatic/MT. Zoom-Zoom
  • Options
    Sounds good,Congrats :) My wife wanted me to go for the Copper red but I was originally going to go for Mica Grey until I saw a Stormy Blue W/tan interior at Walser,my mind was made up at that time..
  • Options
    Great news Milkey! Did Walser stick with MSRP? Hopefully they didn't go beyond, and their destination fee should have been $595. Assuming it will come in through Tacoma port. The dealer should be able to send you a report in about a month which will show dealer allocation date, and all the other dates Mazda tracks as your car is built, shipped and expected at the dealer. You will then know if they were truthful about the allocation date. Fortunately when I ordered mine I was sitting in the salesmanager's office and he logged into the Mazda system and entered my car into it as I watched. His allocation was actually 7 days after I was at the dealership, which he told me and the report confirmed. It's been fun to watch the estimated and actual dates be filled in on the Mazda report. The anticipation has been really tough though. I'm glad I found these forums because I've learned a lot about the MX-5 and it's passed the time. If you haven't already, check out mazda.net, great information there as well. I'll let you know when I pick mine up. Should be just a few more weeks. Cooper Red with tan interior is SHARP! Congrats :shades:
  • Options
    You guys will think I'm nuts when I tell you that I have no idea yet WHAT price I'm paying! My conversation with Liz was pretty short, and I guess I was so surprised by the sudden-ness of it all that price was never discussed. I didn't even realize it 'til I was off the phone. (Like I said before, I was anticipating having to BEG a dealer to take my money.) When she asked me what options I wanted, those prices came up, but I can't believe there will be a problem with them wanting more than MSRP. I have the "window sticker'' that I printed weeks ago from the MazdaUSA "build your vehicle" website, so I know what MSRP should be... I hope I don't have to nix the deal if they decide to get greedy. I should tell you all that this car is actually for my wife and we went with Copper Red cuz it was the one color we both agreed on... but I did give her veto power. If the car was strictly mine, I may have gone with either Galaxy Gray or Highland Green. But, hey, this is a car that would probably look good with purple and pink polkadots!
  • Options
    I DEFINITELY like the black, but here in ND the constant wind blowing dust around makes it too difficult to keep 'em clean! I had a black Taurus SHO for quite a few years and I washed it so much it rusted apart! How do you like the automatic? I was intrigued with that and still am not sure I shouldn't order it. I've always driven manuals, but the older I get, the more the autos appeal to me.
  • Options
    miatamama1miatamama1 Member Posts: 41
    I have driven a manual exclusively since 1982. I LOVE LOVE LOVE manual transmissions. However, I decided, even if this is a roadster, this is an element of the practical for me. This is now my only car and I am getting older. The left leg or right arm goes out, and it's curtains! I had a back problem one time that affected my left leg and it was not a pleasant experience having to use the clutch. I was surprised this car is still lots of fun to drive in auto mode. I am still getting used to the MT mode. I keep wanting to depress the clutch which isn't there. But when I have used MT mode, it's kind of fun but not the real deal and a bit lacking.
  • Options
    I also have the Automatic, was a diehard stick fan my whole life and for the same reasons (getting older and wanted my wife to drive it,worry free) went with the auto and I have to say I love it,the manual mode is a blast, I actually use it alot. I wouldn't think Walser would go over MSRP because they are one of those 1 price no haggle dealers and the prices I've seen there were pretty good, :)
  • Options
    Congrats! That's just how it goes with these cars... some people have no end of trouble getting one while others practically trip over them... It's all about being in the right place at the right time. This is a good time of year to order so I don't imagine they'll be greedy now. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have to admit I'm a little torn between the AT or the 6M. Although I've not test-driven the AT in the MX-5, I did try one out 2 yrs. ago when we bought our 05 Mazda3... it was kinda fun to be able to switch between the two (straight automatic and then paddle-shifting.) We don't have to worry much about stop & go traffic where I live, so the AT doesn't hold as much of a convenience edge as it might in more congested areas of the country. But I do admit that it might be nice once in while just to put it in D and drive. Epecially when you've got the top down,kicking back and just taking in the scenery. What about the premium package option? Can anybody out there advise me on pros, cons of that... xenon headlights vs standard, Bilstein shocks vs stock, etc. What is the Advanced Keyless Entry all about?
  • Options
    manybmwsmanybmws Member Posts: 347
    Get the MT. It is a kick unless you are driving in bumper to bumper traffic. I just turned double nickel and wouln't give up the sensations of a MT for an AT. That is what this car is all about...
  • Options
    I got the premium package option W/ keyless, did it cause of the anti theft and more for the handling&suspension upgrades,not that I'm woried about someone taking my car but for some reason I wanted all the bells and whistles, I plan on keeping this one for a while,the xenon lights,well don't know if there any better than reg. but they do light up the road pretty good. the keyless is just nice cause I never have to take it out of my pocket. I had a tough time deciding on stick or auto,and while I was waiting for the car I thought if it shows up and it had a stick I would have been fine with that,like you said, me and the wife driving with the top down enjoying a nice day on country back roads, the automatic is nice and you can use the center drink holders :shades:
  • Options
    I got a base GT and so far so good for meeting my expectations. The regular headlights are quite good (even comparing to the Xenons on my 530). In fact a lot more people flash me at night when driving the MX versus the 530.

Bilsteins might be interesting since the rear of the car without can "hop" when pushed to respond to steering input over rough surfaces so I would consider on the next one. Firmer shocks would keep the wheels better planted on the road. And I think this is a stand-alone option.

For slippery conditions the limited slip diff and traction control would be helpful although again I am mostly driving this car with the top down :shades:
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    I sure hope some of you are posting all this good news in the MX-5 Prices Paid and Buying Experience topic too. ;)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    The Premium Package is really just convenience features. You have to decide if they're worth the $1250. The $500 suspension package is not much different from the standard setup. Many people actually add springs and sways bars to tighten up even this package. The product people apparently wanted this car to be relatively soft no matter which suspension was selected. (The "bump steer" mentioned by manybmws is a common complaint with these cars, again, regardless of the suspension package...

The transmission choice is simply personal preference, The AT is apparently very slick and most people who choose this are happy. I never considered an AT for this car but nobody else can answer this for you. It's either what you want or it's not. (One consideration is the engine speed on the highway. The AT allows a much lower RPM on the highway vs the 6MT. If you plan on many highway miles, the lower "buzz" from the engine may be important to you.)
  • Options
    I didn't know that "bump steer" was a common complaint or had a name for that matter. Do you know if any specific suspension/tire changes can help to minimize it? This is my only real complaint about this car after driving it 10K miles.
  • Options
    The transmission choice is simply personal preference, The AT is apparently very slick and most people who choose this are happy

gputz is absolutely correct,you gotta order what you really want or what your heart tells you,once you have the car theres no turning back, ( unless you sell the car and order another one) :)
  • Options
    "I didn't know that "bump steer" was a common complaint or had a name for that matter. Do you know if any specific suspension/tire changes can help to minimize it? This is my only real complaint about this car after driving it 10K miles."

If you only knew the amount of discussion there is around this in other Miata forums... ;)

One big one is alignment. The factory alignment specs are apparently very broad and the car can be very imprecise and still be technically within specs. There are specific recommendations to minimize this poor tracking while others say a precision alignment using the midpoint of the factory specs will be enough to make a difference. (find a shop that uses Hunter equipment. Hunter will advise you for your location)

Some claim that adding upgraded sway bars will help and the front strut tower brace ($$$) is also said to contribute even more to precise tracking. I find it annoying that money has to be spend to correct bad habits in a "legendary" sports car but nothing is perfect. But I noticed this bump steer on my test drive so I knew what I was getting.

Also, be sure to check tire pressure. (I meant to post this earlier) The factory over-pressures the tires to keep them up during the long shipping interval. This is often overlooked by the service tech during the PDI. It's not unheard of for people to drive their new Miata home with 50+ psi in the tires. That will definitely bounce you around...
  • Options
    Thanks and yes I signed up for www.miata.net and found one potential solution you mentioned generically regarding the strut tower brace:

http://www.nengun.com/hks-kansai/tower-bar-mazda-roadster

I don't have an issue with spending some $ to alleviate this, just want to make the right investment. Looks like this is $300 plus installation. I have to say it looks pretty neat as well.

Regards,
    manybmws a.k.a mx5series
  • Options
    OK, you guys have me all confused. Isn't a new car supposed to run without issues? How will I know if something is wrong with the sway bars and struts!?
  • Options
    I agree, is there something I should be looking for with mine, or something I can try to see if mine does this, cause so far I haven't noticed anything but maybe the situation just hasn't come up yet and if it does I would like to fix it, I have been looking on Miata.net and (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place) but I can't find much about it, also there is a lot of great info on that site, I didn't find it because I got all caught up in other posts :)
  • Options
    This is something that occurs when hitting bumps in mid-turn. The car tends to feel loose and skips toward the outside a little. If this happens in the front, you may feel the need to compensate with more turn-in on the steering. In the rear, the back end tends to just hop off line. IT'S NOT A BIG DEAL. There is just a feeling that the car is not fully connected to the road. To me it feels like the car is lacking in some area of damping or wheel control. Please keep in mind that the Miata forums are populated by people who scrutinize every little detail and possible fault. (That shoe fits me too) This may be something that most of you would never notice. If you've driven the car at all and didn't register a problem, forget about it. It's not really a serious concern, it's more of a subtle character flaw that many enthusiasts would rather not feel.

I'm almost sorry I got into this. The car is a gem. All cars have some flaw and the lightweight Miata is not perfect when hitting a bump in mid-turn - nothing to fret over.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input. The lower highway RPM on the AT is something I wasn't aware of. I have heard some owners say the MT could use a taller 6th gear, so it's something to think about. I read that it runs around 6000 at 80mph in the MT.
    My wife (who will be the primary driver) is comfortable with either choice, but I'm leaning toward the stick, just because I'm cheap and want the extra mile or two per gallon.
  • Options
    Thanks, I didn't think it was to big of a deal but just wanted a little clarification on it, I'm going to do some autocross with the car next spring, Maybe that will help me understand a lot more of what these cars are capable of, not to mention bringing up my driving skills.....
  • Options
    not to mention the AT was an extra grand :)
  • Options
    Yeah, you hit it on the head...$$$. same reason I think I'm opting out of the Premium Package...but it didn't bother you! :) Actually, I feel a little foolish about
    spending 28k on a car, and then worrying about another 1700! I should do what you did, realize I'm gonna have the car for a while, get what I (oops, I mean my wife)wants, and forget about it. It's like when I bought my Mazda3... those heated seats that I opted out of... how many times in the last two winters have I kicked myself for that. But, GOSH, it would have added another 3 dollars to my monthly payment!! :P
  • Options
    We also bought a '07 Mazda 3 for my wife (cause I totaled her Camry) and that car is my reason for sticking with Mazda,and I always wanted a Miata,if it wasn't for my Dads estate I would have probably just got a softop Sport,and I know he would of done the same thing I did ( he always told me you only live once ) so I went for all the bells and whistles :D which ever way ya go its gonna be a great toy...
  • Options
    "Yeah, you hit it on the head...$$$. same reason I think I'm opting out of the Premium Package...but it didn't bother you! Actually, I feel a little foolish about
    spending 28k on a car, and then worrying about another 1700! I should do what you did, realize I'm gonna have the car for a while, get what I (oops, I mean my wife)wants, and forget about it. It's like when I bought my Mazda3... those heated seats that I opted out of... how many times in the last two winters have I kicked myself for that. But, GOSH, it would have added another 3 dollars to my monthly payment!! "

There was a time when I couldn't imagine paying $15k per seat for a car - it still seems more than a little frivolous. But mid-life brought me a new clarity to things like the importance of paying myself back for half a life of work and responsible living. While complaining about issues related to this car, I always try to keep things in perspective. I am fortunate to have such problems... :D

Chances are that if you're seriously considering one of these cars you can afford to get what you want. I'm not wealthy, but I'm betting that there will never be a time when the PP2 will come between me and something to eat. On the other hand, regret is priceless.
  • Options
    Well said, gputz. I couldn't agree with you more. There's a time to save and a time to spend (I think that's biblical!) I've tended to think like you most of my life, whereas my wife has always been more practical. But she's started to come around as we age. (We balance each other out.) Like you, we're far from wealthy, but we can't complain either. The MX-5 strikes a nice balance for both of us... a frivolous, top-down summer-fun toy on one hand, a practical, economical top-up everyday driver on the other. Even up here in ND, we plan on driving the thing as many months out of the year as possible... it'll be cheaper than my wife driving her gas-guzzler.
  • Options
    I agree with you about Mazda's in general. Having driven the 3 the last couple years definitely sold me on the MX-5 over anything else in its class. My wife would have been nervous about buying a Miata w/o ever having driven it, but for the experience with the 3.( I suppose I would be, too.) Hopefully, when we're down in the Twin Cities this weekend, Walser will have a Miata we can drive, or at least sit in. It's really not a huge concern for either of us, though. Have a safe trip, yourself- I believe you mentioned being there this week, as well. :)
  • Options
    It's not a big deal until you hit 2 bumps in a turn downshifting into 2nd gear between the bumps (one of many possible scenarios). Folks need to be aware of it for safety reasons. It is like a 911 Targa I owned in the late 80's. These cars had wicked oversteer when pushed into a corner or with a fast lane transition because of the rear weight bias causing the rear end to come around and for the driver to potentially use control of the car. Did this stop the appeal of a Porsche back then? No. More importantly did it hurt their resale value? No.

So I don't think that bump steer is enough of a deterrent for someone not to buy an MX-5.

Also, I don't think that AT owners will feel this condition as much as MT owners since torque can be applied quicker with the MT thus helping to enhance the bump steer.

The more Mazda hears about this might help them to make the investment to eliminate any risky driving scenarios. After all we all hope that we never use our airbags but we have them just in case.
  • Options
    destrydestry Member Posts: 58
    I drove a 2005 Mazda 3 S in rally white and loved it, but was in an accident and totalled it. I went to the Mazda dealership and fell in love with the 2007 MX-5 in Brilliant Black Clearcoat. It's black on black and it's so much fun to drive...Good-Luck!! :shades:
  • Options
    I just had lunch at the Fridays next to Walser but didn't have time to stop and look ( but I really wanted to) I'm here going through the motions of a good Grand pa and spending time with my 6 month old Grandson Logan, But I did want to take him there,but I got overruled, maybe Tommorow :D Good luck on your trip, it would be nice to meet you if you were here now but I'm flying back home Tommorow ( just a quick trip to see my boy and his)
  • Options
    I was kinda thinking that with my AT I might not see it but when I get into some autocross this spring I want to put myself in that predicament to see what it is and is all about, and I am looking out for it!
  • Options
    So you guys really like the new 3 then? I have not driven one but it has a nice interior.
  • Options
    Sounds like fun. Next Spring I am thinking of enrolling in the Skip Barber school...
This discussion has been closed.