Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Subaru Outback 2007 or 2008 vs. Toyota RAV4

agsmagsm Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Subaru
Debating between Ouback 2007 or 2008 and Toyota RAV 4.

Need to put 2 car seats in the back seat, live in snow country and will drive the car 80+ miles a day for work.

I assme the Outack does better in snow, but having a hard time determining the real MPG difference and reliability/maintenance issues with each vehicle.

Any opinions?

Also, any major differences between Outback 2007 and 2008?

Many thanks.

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The 08s got a face lift, but otherwise only minor differences. The Outback sedan is discontinued but sounds like you want a wagon anyway.

Do you want a sport/cute or a capable wagon? That's the bottom line.

RAV4 has more space, offers a V6 that runs on regular fuel, and even offers a 3rd row. They're all automatics now. The rear gate swings open the wrong way and blocks curb side loading.

Outback handles better, should be much easier to park, offers a turbo with a manual transmission. The AWD is more sophisticated but no 3rd row and less cargo space. The liftgate shields you from the rain.

For me, I like the 2GR Toyota V6 but the rear gate and poor visibility crossed it off my list. I actually ended up with a Sienna minivan, which has more room and better visibility for less money, plus I got power doors as a bonus.

If I wanted something sportier and more nimble it would be Outback all the way. The RAV4 falls in between but just makes many compromises - it isn't small and sporty and it's not really roomy and practical the way a van is.
This discussion has been closed.