Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Lexus LS 460/460L

Comments

• mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    mr. cyclone4 :
    if you believe in the tooth fairy , then you can believe what the dealer and c & d tells you .

as i mentioned before : if you want one go out and see it , feel it , touch it , drive it , and either love it or not .
    if you love it , take it home with you .
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Mr. mitchellrowe,

Thank you for the advice, but I have already seen it, felt it, touched it, drove it, loved it, but did not take it home with me. I want to get it with a full size trunk. I am pretty confident it will be in my possession in November. I am willing to wait to get it the way I want it.

I do enjoy the style and content of your posts.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Char;ie,

My quote from the other night:

I think the yankees can and will beat them but the Indians are the type of team that can hit just about everywhere in their line-up and make Rivera and Chamberlain meaningless. Think of the tigers last year and the angels hitting annihilation of the yankees years ago.

Game one is exactly what I feared about this series. If the Yankees don't win tomorrow you may have to write off a Red Sox-Yankees series. These Indians can hit and Pettite is no lock. I have a big fear right now that they are going to hammer him tomorrow night. On the other hand if they can pull even tomorrow it's another story. We'll see about 24 hours from now. But in the words of Harrison Ford - "I've got a bad feeling about this".

I filled up this evening finally and ended up going 457 miles and averaged 26.3 mpg on this latest run. I never expected MPG like this from the LS.
    Len,

The Yankees pitching has been the big problem all year and it continues now in the playoffs. Yes, tomorrow night is a MUST win if they want to have any hope.

Is that 457 miles a combination of city and highway driving or is it all on the highway? If it's a combo, that is unreal. If it is highway it is very good. This makes it even more pleasing in my mind that I made the right decision to cancel the order for the LS600HL. It just did not feel right.
    That's about 85-15 highway but it's NY area highways with occasional slowdowns and tolls, not a desolate I-95 in North Carolina. My mileage as a whole since I got the car is now at 21.9mpg and that is loaded with local driving and some awful summer tie-ups. What I did notice is that the miles to empty keeps resetting itself higher at fill-up. It must base it on past average performance. When I first got the car it used to reset itself to 440 (about 20mpg). Today it reset itself to 490 - which is about equal to that 21.9 avearage mileage since I got the car.
    That is truly amazing.

I imagine when the weather gets really cold (especially here in the Midwest where it is considerably colder than in NJ during the winter), the gas mileage will be down a little from what it is during the period March/April through October/November. When it is really cold (teens and colder) or really hot (90s to 100), the gas mileage is not as good. Thus, since I will not be driving my new LS until probably later in November and all during the cold winter months, my gas mileage should reflect the cold weather. However, I am sure that during mild spells when the highs are in the 40s and 50s, I will be able to see an increase in gas mileage. Of course, it could easily be in the 40s & 50s even in late November or early December.
    I'll keep you posted as to the mileage I get during the colder weather. Most of my mileage has been during summer so far, so the heat didn't affect it all that much. We didn't have a super hot summer here but we still managed 20 days over 90 and most days were 85 or better. It was actually a great swimming pool season here and had I kept my pool open I could have been swimming for 4-5 straight days as we are having a run of mid 80 temps here. Average temps in my area during the coldest winter periods is a high of 37 and a low of 22 (I'm away from NYC's heat island effect) so we get plenty of cold, though not mid-west cold. I do notice that in sub 15 degree cold the frozen ground gives me false low PSI readings on my tires on the GX. I'll see if that happens with the LS. Right now the MPG I'm getting is the icing on the cake of a great car.

Rennybosch had asked me about the climate control. Ever since then I've been paying attention to it. I haven't made one adjustment to it since I replied to his post about 2 weeks ago. So this is also the best climate control system - by far - on any LS yet.
    BTW, the normal high here in January is 28/29 while the normal low is 11. We typically have some days when the high does not reach above zero. I will also be reporting the gas mileage on my new LS during the winter just to compare.
    Charlie,

I was thinking you were near Chicago, one of my absolute favorite cities. You must be further northwest. I'm about 40 miles SW of NYC and we miss out on some of the big snowstorms that hug the coast and hit northwest NJ hard. But when those storms are in the right spot we get clobbered much worse than NYC. The blizzard of 96 put down 36" of snow here and the President's day storm in 2002 put down 29". The 96 blizzard had 15-20 foot drifts on parts of the Garden State Parkway which in the central NJ area and the parkway was closed for 2 days (in fact all of NJ was shut down for 2 days with a travel ban) and had some entrance and exit ramps closed for a week.
    the 2008 LS 460 navigation screen , does not ask you a question at start up . previously , if the question was not answered the nav screen went into dumb mode .
    not anymore . the screen goes right to the previous setting
    without wasting time , efort and safety to answer the question are you going to abide by the rules ( or whatever ) . this is a great impreovement .
    mitchell rowe
    Mitchell,

That's a change from 2007. Did they restore the memory on the passenger front seat?

Charlie,

My bad feeling got a lot worse tonight.
    mr. ljflx :
    no memory seat for front passenger

what bad feeling got worse ?
    mitchell rowe
    Len,

I just finished watching a dramatic victory by the Sox over the Angels on a walk-off home run by Manny. It must have traveled about 500 feet. That was exhilarating. Too bad about the Yanks. Yes, it looks like your bad feeling about them is playing out. Mitchellrowe, the bad feeling that ljflx has been having concerns the New York Yankees baseball team.

BTW, I am located about 350 miles west of Chicago. We are about 3-4 degrees colder for the high and about 6 degrees colder for the morning low than Chicago.
    Charlie,

For all the greatness AROD showed this year, I don't think there's a yankee fan in my area that thinks he could do what Manny did last night or what Big Papi does over and over again when the money is on the line. That rocket that Manny hit was incredible. What a blow - as Howard Cosell would have said. But there are just different courses for different horses. AROD is a great reg season horse but he just puts too much pressure on himself in key spots and at all times in the playoffs. The guy doesn't know how to keep himself cool in big situations like those guys do. He pressed a lot as he approached his 500th homer this year. He pressed again as the season was ending. Some local fans would call on NY sports talk shows and say he was already seeing the pressure of the playoffs in the mirror. But to be fair to him the Indians have shut down the Yankees in totality with very dominating pitching in the first two games. Still, you look at Manny and Ortiz in pressure set-ups and they look the same as they do in the first inning with no one on base. You look at Alex and he looks wound up like a top. It's his internal system and I doubt that he can control it. I think being in NY (probably Boston too if he had gone there) adds further pressure to the situation and increases the problem. But I think he'd have his pressure problem in any city, it would just be less so in a small market city. BTW - this team could get unglued in a hurry if they lose one more game. AROD leaves, Rivera and Posada opt out to free agency and Pettite decides to go and this team is fragmented and a first round loss could cause all that to happen. So they have a lot more than the division series riding on the line on Sunday IMO.

Mitchell - The yankees as Cyclone noted. Most certainly nothing about the car. Lexus is money in the bank.
    No doubt about it. Both Big Pappy and Manny are very cool under pressure. AROD seems to press in the playoffs. I don't think he has a hit yet in the series.
    He has 3 popouts and 3 strikeouts and a few walks. His on base percentage is actually the best on the team in the first two games. It's a pretty sad situation when your best on base percentage guy so far has no hits and has yet to hit a ball to the outfield. Let's see if the crowd and some weaker pitching awakens them today. Personally I don't have much faith in Clemens so those bats have to awaken and they have to do it against the starter because that Indian middle relief looks tough as hell.
  • rgswrgsw Member Posts: 333
    I respectfully suggest you two sports enthusiasts carry on your "sports" blog in private. E-mail would be a better way to share your views on sports than expose others to your ramblings here.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We could meet up here: Baseball! Lots of folks are interested in the playoffs. I'm so bummed out by the Mets ridiculous collapse, I'm having trouble getting into it. :cry:
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    Mitchell

Was your '08 460SWB delivered with the automatic parking gadgetry?

Checking dealer inventory in So Cal it looks as if they are doing the same thing with the 460SWB as they did with the '07 460L series...many of them seem to have park-o-matic included.

I would infer from the Lexus website they intend offering air suspension as an option for the '08 SWB. Anybody else read it this way? That was a feature I really did enjoy with the '07 460L I drove for a few months.
    mr. tricky :
    how have you been ?
    question # 1 : no , some have the automatic parking for several thousand more $ . i purchased one without the non sense . there is 2 ... '08's at the dealer , and neither
    has the gadgetry ( called there tonight for you ). also,
    they have one '07 left ( also without the toys )

question # 2 : i know nothing about the air suspension .

comment : i fing the '08 tighter , heavier steering , neglible tire strips and minor bumps , and almost in audible wind noise .

i really do like my '08 . it is mercury silver with light grey , and grey wood . quite elegant to the eye .
    tires are bridgestone , steering wheel is 1/2 wood and 1/2 leather .

mitchell rowe
  • kap8kap8 Member Posts: 22
    Hi all - my in-laws are about to lease an '08 LS460, and while I know it's a luxury car and they're going to pay through the nose, they are VERY naive about the leasing process and despite my repeated attemtps to educate and prepare them, I fear my advice (and Edmunds') is falling on deaf ears!

Can some of you give me at least a general sense of what they should expect to pay for an '08 LS460 with comfort package, nav system, intuitive parking?

Many thanks!
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Per another post "Leased today. 2008 SWB Granite/Black. Nav/Comfort/Power doors/Lexus Link/Park /Mats/Lojack. MSRP $69,382 Paid Cap Cost $63,795 Cap cost reduction by $750 with Lexus certificate from attending lexus summer function. Money factor .00265 with reduction with multiple security deposits to somewhere around .00180. 48 months 25k/year for additional .20/mile above 15K. Taxes 7.75% Residual $22,224. Monthly payment $1140. I think I did Ok."
    How's this info for price and remember payment would be lower if not buying extra miles.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can also try posting here: Lexus LS 460 Lease Questions. Let us know how it goes!
  • kap8kap8 Member Posts: 22
    thanks!!
    My special ordered 2008 LS460L has just arrived at the dealer. I actually drove it around the dealer in the snow covered side streets earlier this afternoon even though it had just gotten off the truck. Wow! What a car. Man, that baby is quiet. I intentionally pressed on the brakes to see how it would handle on the slippery streets and I was pleasantly surprised. Let me put it this way. It is a lot better driving on snow than the LS430 I have been driving since November 2004. I think that one could probably make it through the winter without snow tires if one is a little careful. However, I decided to go ahead and have the dealer install a set of blizzaks. In fact, they only have this one set left. I think this will give me more peace of mind driving in the Midwest winter. I am also purchasing a set of tellios (sp?) wheels for driving with all season tires for about 8-9 months of the year.

ljflx (Len), have you had a chance to try out your LS460L in snow without snow tires? I don't think you have had much snow at all in your area yet. I am picking up my car this late Thursday afternoon. Man, I am looking forward to it. The other good news is that I found a buyer for my 2004 LS430 (custom luxury).
    Cyclone,

Haven't checked around here in a while and I was wondering if your car got in the other day. i've been busy with another deal I'm working on and haven't had much time for anything.

Wait till you get this car on the highway at 80mph. Then you will really appreciate it. I see the complaints here and there but my car is spectacular (no wind noise whatsoever) and I couldn't be happier with it. I brought it in for service recently and a guy right me behind me also had a LWB car and was raving about it as well. Fuel mileage has definitely been cut back thanks to the winter additives. I'm now at about 25 pure NYC area hgwy and 22 combined. We've had only 2" of snow here so far and I havenm't drove the car on snow. But it handles wet roads a lot better than the LS430 so I'd expect it will do a lot better in snow. I usually use the sport suspension but if you really want a soft ride try the lux setting. My wife prefers that one.

IMO no comparison between this and the LS430. See if you agree.

Best of luck and happy holidays.
    Len, it's great to hear from you. Unfortunately, this site has been almost dead, but I figured you would see my message eventually. Rather than re-typing everything, I am copying what I just posted on the CL site (decided to become a member since one can learn quite a lot there). Your conclusions echo mine. This car is amazing. Here it is:

I started driving my LS yesterday at about 3PM after about a 3 hour tutorial session with the salesman. I am absolutely in awe with this vehicle. This generation of LS's is definitely a step up from the LS430 and I thought the LS430 was great. It is definitely more quiet than the LS 430. I was going 80 on the Interstate and it feels like you're going about 40. I know that wind noise has been a big issue for some, but I have absolutely no wind noise whatsoever.

I love everything about the new LS: the comfort, the handling in all kinds of surfaces, its technology, etc. It will take me a while to learn everything that this car has to offer. The navigation system is fantastic. There have been a lot of folks complaining about the voice recognition, but I think it does a very good job. It is a lot better the one on the 430. You have to remember that you must speak clearly and it has to be quiet in the car. I am looking forward to try out the traffic feature with XM when we travel through Chicago and Detroit in about a week.

I noticed that the heating of the seat is a lot faster than on the 430. There are so many other features that I enjoy: the hold button, the heated steering wheel (useful in the Midwest winters), the steering, the amazing acceleration (there is no longer a hesitation problem), the very comfortable soft leather seats, the power trunk opening and closing, etc. BTW, speaking of the trunk, I am so happy that I special ordered it so that I have an 18cf trunk. I did not realize it until I picked up the car that the back seats still recline even though I have a full size trunk. I have not tried the advanced parking feature yet.

And last but not least, I like the looks of the exterior and interior better than the MB S550. The more I look at the LS460L the better I like it.
    Charlie,

You echo my thoughts exactly. I do love the S550 styling but this car is also very stylish and right there with it in LWB form. It's a phenomenal car in every way. The XM traffic alerts you to conditions on your route. For example the voice will say "left lane closed 10 miles ahead for 500 feet" or "stop and go traffic 10 miles ahead for a distance of 2 miles".

I don't react anymore to any posts that say they prefer the LS430 over this car or stepping up is not worth it. The LS430 is a wonderful car but it is blown away by this car in every way.
    I think I will have a lot of fun taking a long trip to Detroit next weekend. I am really looking forward to trying out the XM Traffic system and all the other goodies this car has to offer. I totally agree with your assessment comparing the LS430 with the LS460L.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Charlie, and/or Len, are there any changes in the 08 compared to the 07? Also, what is it that controls the trunk size - is it just the cooler in the backseat? Or are there other goodies that come with the same option that I would lose if I go for the larger trunk?

Thanks, and enjoy your trip.
    rennybosch, it appears to be the cooler box and the 4 zone AC that limits the size of the trunk. I have reclining back seats and also the bottom seat cushion moves back and forth and I am still getting an 18cf trunk. I absolutely love this car. It is better than even I was hoping.
    I think it's also the rear seat entertainment package with it's wiring needs that plays into the trunk size..

Renny - as long as the car is doable and desirable then I'd pull the trigger and go for it if I were in your shoes. It's a different animal than the LS430 and a major step up in luxury & performance, particularly in LWB form.
    Thanks guys for the advice.

Len, you may remember one of my concerns was the absence of a cassette tape player in the LS460. Well, my local library has just removed all books on tape, all they have now by way of audio books is books on CD. So that particular concern is no longer an issue with me. So I'm definitely getting closer, especially with enthusiastic reports like yours and Charlie's.
    I have an old old exxon Christmas tape from the 1980's that I bought while filling up one day. Till this day it's one of the best Christmas albums I ever heard with a few unique songs that don't get a lot of air play. But the only place I have left to play it is in my GX470. Even in my home theatre set-up I got rid of the tape player in favor of both Blue Ray and hi-def DVD players. Ended up buying both so I no longer care which format wins. Accessing my built in cabinet is an absolute nightmare.

Good luck with your decision to buy or keep. Either way - you can't lose.
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,325
    Is there some way to transform your exxon tape into a CD?

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• kbls460kbls460 Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying the 08 and have heard a lot about the wind noise experienced in the 07 model. Has this been fixed in the new model? Has anyone heard or read about someone having the wind noise issue in the 08 model.

In the Bay area I have got initial quotes of upto 7K off MSRP - is that a good price?

Please advise
    The wind noise issue was a problem on some SWB models and mostly early on in the production. However, I have heard of a few problems even later. I believe that Lexus has found a fix for those that have had a problem. I can tell you this much. Both ljflx and myself have had zero wind noise problem. It is incredibly quiet. We both have the LWB. What a car!! Good luck on your buying process. 7K off MSRP for a 2008 LS460 sounds like a great deal to me.
  • kbls460kbls460 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback. I will check around for a bit to see if anyone has any wind noise issues with the 08 and if not totally satisified might opt for the LWB

Thanks again
  • fabt1fabt1 Member Posts: 5
    I just picked up my 2008 LS460 SWB. I had been very concerned about the wind noise reported on the '07s and some of the 08's. My understanding is the most recent '08s (but not the very first ones) have laminated glass on the front side windows....as noted by the word "lamisafe" printed on the glass. So make sure any '08 you buy clearly has that label on the windows.

I took my car on a test drive, at highway speeds up to 80 MPH, and let me tell you....completely noiseless!

I had a 2001 LS430 and before that a 1996 LS400. There is no doubt the LS460 blows them both away in every possible way. The ML stereo is much, much better than the version I had on the LS430. It drives/handles much more comfortably and quietly. And, for the first time, I think the styling is right on (although I don't care much for the trapezoid shaped exhaust pipes).

Also, the '08 version eliminates the need to touch the screen to bypass the navigation warning....it automatically goes away after a few seconds and displays the nav screen.

There is no doubt in my mind that if someone is not sure if upgrading from an LS430 is worthwhile, believe me, after a few days in this car, I'm convinced the upgrade is well worth it. I'd have bought this car months ago if (not including '07 windnoise problem) had I understood/witnessed the improvements.
    Congratulations on your new LS! I am happy to hear that the wind noise problem has been solved even for the SWB. You are echoing what ljflx and I have been saying about this car. It is simply spectacular. My wife and I made about a 600 mile trip to the Detroit area this past Saturday to visit our daughter and son-in-law. That was THE most comfortable and enjoyable trip I have ever made driving a car. It was also a lot of fun playing with all the "toys" during the drive.
  • traubetraube Member Posts: 28
    can i ask how much u paid for the LS460.I was recently quoted $8800 off MSRP for a new 2007 LS460 in florida
    thanx
    Does anyone know if there are any differences between the '07 and '08 models of the LS460? Or is the only consideration future resale value?
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    when u take a ls460,what do u like better then the 7 seri and the s class,
    I am of the opinion that the LS is more comfortable and more quiet than the S Class or the 7 series. I also love the interior layout and design of the LS. And, I actually like the exterior look of the LS better. On top of all this, the LS460L is about $15-20K less expensive than a comparably equipped S550. To me it is a "no brainer".
  • fabt1fabt1 Member Posts: 5
    I don't think I can give you a good reference - my wife works for Autonation, which owns Lexus of Palm Beach, and we were able to get an Employee Discount price. I compared that price to several other Lexus dealers and no one could match it. Our salesperson their was Jonathan, and he was really pleasant to deal with.

The only concern I would have about an '07 is what I, and others, have mentioned before: The '07's do not have laminated glass on the front windows, which without, apparently, can cause wind leak. Also, the "07 Nav screen requires you to touch an "I agree" screen before it activates, a somewhat minor nuisance.

If you consider an '07 make sure you road test it at highway speeds and listen carefully for wind leak.

Best of luck!
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I agree that its less expensive and the look is much better then the others, i seen them both 7seri and the LS looks much better , except that i like the interior better for the 7seri,But i think that the lexus will have a longer problem free time better reliability
    Based on such enthusiastic recommendations as fabt1, ljflx, and cyclone4, I've jumped into the pool and bought an LS460L with all the trimmings (not the 4-seater, though). It's being shipped in from another dealer, so I can't give a first-impression report yet. Apparently there is a severe shortage of the 86K car in SoCal.

I had been very satisfied with my '01 LS430, and even more so with the '04 (both Ultra-Lux versions). But from what you guys tell me the 460 beats them both. Thanks for the encouragement.

Renny
    When I signed up for my car, the finance guy recommended xzilon treatment. He said it repels all dirt, bird droppings, acid rain, etc. Maintains factory-fresh finish for years. Has any one tried that and what was your experience? Is it worth it at $950? That includes both exterior and interior treatments.
    The new LS has a much better finish than the LS430. My dealer did not even ask me if I wanted this done. Personally, I think it is a waste of money, but that's me. Congratulations on your purchase renny! I think you will be extremely pleased.
    I started to get the feeling you couldn't resist. What's your color combo?

Best of luck with the car and a happy and healthy New Year wish to you, Charlie and everyone else.
This discussion has been closed.