Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    maxi3maxi3 Member Posts: 2
    Lucian,

I have a 1995 Camry XLE V6 with 275,000 miles. I have done only routine maintenance. No major problems. It still runs great. I'm planning to keep it and put on another 25K. No idea about price.

Maxi
  • Options
    docchangdocchang Member Posts: 1
    Are you referring to the clicking noise from the engine? I have to same problem and I took it to two different dealers, they say it is normal. I am gonna trade in this car as soon as I can. A brand new car shouldn't make any clicking noise at all.

D.
  • Options
    commish1commish1 Member Posts: 30
    on the '05, is there a way to have the text on the radio stay perm? I try and hold the button but it always disappears and just has the radio channel number.
  • Options
    niki1niki1 Member Posts: 52
    Doc,
    I just purchased a 2005 Camry XLE 4 cylinder automatic, and I have a very very noticeable tapping noise coming from the engine. Is this what your are expirencing? I only have 600 miles on the vehicle, and this tapping noise is way more noticeable when in gear, but still there when in park and nuteral. you thoughts? Two more things, the tapping gets worse when the vehicle is warmed up, and Is there such a thing as a refund or a replacement policy for new vehicles. Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
  • Options
    rosemaryjrosemaryj Member Posts: 1
    I have the same clicking noise from my 2005 camry 4 cyl. when the engine is cold, it is quiet. but after about 7 miles or so it starts. .....very noticeable in the passenger compartment. It is only noticeable upon acceleration , the dealer took the heat shields off for inspection and inspected the exhaust system, could not correct it. finally told me that is "normal"...the mechanic that worked on it admitted to us that we are not the only ones to complain . we have an 04 camry with an identical engine ( very quiet).Toyota, what did you do?
  • Options
    wesleyd3wesleyd3 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had an accident in my 2001 Camry. My seat belts locked up.Can they be unlocked, or do I need new ones altogether?
  • Options
    Dieselboy,
    Have you got any answers on your ticking noise, because my new Camry has a very bad ticking noise. Even worse when in gear, and worse when the engine is warmed up.

NIKI1
  • Options
    zone1zone1 Member Posts: 11
    If your Camry is a 4 cylinder, the mechanic probably ruined the seal where the oil pump is on the front of the engine. (The front being the end that points toward the passenger front tire. The oil pan extends beyond the engine block because the oil pump is not in the crankcase. It's out in front in an area that also gets oil. There is a vertical seal that has to seal against the pan gasket. It's a really strange arrangement, but usually it doesn't cause any problems. Most Toyota dealers will use gasket sealant in that area to assure that no leaks occur after gasket replacement.
    So, if the gaskets were installed correctly and the bolts were properly tightened, then the most likely reason for an oil leak is where the vertical gasket is supposed to seat against the pan gasket.
  • Options
    The engine RPM will cycle up and down as your A/C goes on and off. The automatic transmission will respond by trying to move forward in the high idle more so than the low idle. It's not necessarily electrical power that being sought - most of the time the engine steps up because it needs the additional horsepower. An A/C can take up to 15 HP to operate, and the compressor needs to spin at a certain minimum RPM to be effective.
  • Options
    OK, I took the right front turn signal off, pulled out the light and cleaned the contacts. I also used a screwdriver to spring the contacts in the socket to provide a little more tension.
    I would have never believed it, but it fixed the problem!
    Thanks! I would have never approached the problem this way and it would have driven me nuts.
    After the problem disappeared, I thought about why. The only thing I've been able to come up with is this: During daylight there aren't nearly as many lights on so the current being drawn is relatively low. All grounds probably are good enough. But at night, when the headlights and tail lights are on to full brightness, there is a lot more current being drawn, and an "ify" ground may no longer be sufficient. I think that was the problem with the turn signal light. The ground is a single, thin strip of metal in the socket that has to make contact with the base of the lamp. The only force pushing the metal strip against the side of the lamp base is spring tension. If a little corrosion builds up at the contact point, the ground becomes unstable and at high current draws may fail.
    Anyway, thanks again!
  • Options
    lg1lg1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    What RPM do you have when you start the engine? I have about 800 rpm constantly. What I don't like - when I go from intersection and push gas pedal hard - RPM is rising, no questions, but transmission does not take it, I got about 1-2 seconds delay and then car is jumping,,,It is sometimes, fortunatelly all time. I got 2005 Camry LE 4 cyl. with about 4K miles on it. Dealer service department said-it should go away and it is "smart computer" which still studing driver behavior and this can go up to 10 k miles. I don't know - sound not really serious... Is it something similar with your car? Will appreciate your responce.
  • Options
    jet1234jet1234 Member Posts: 16
    While driving on the highway, my check engine light, VSC light, and TRAC OFF light came on and continue to remain on. However, the car continues to run normally. I have a 2005 Camry SE V6, with only 3,500 miles on it. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Would anybody have a good idea what the problem could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • Options
    stratojetstratojet Member Posts: 2
    This is called piston slap; The pistons knocks inside the cylinder walls and when the engine gets warm, the metal expands and the noise goes away. This will get worse and two things can be done
    A) replace pistons with high limit (oversize) pistons
    B) Replace the engine

The Pistons in your engine are on the lowest size of the specs and the cylinders on the highest. So this creates a knock and this is not normal.

Some engines are notorious for this, as an example, Subarus.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    All Camries have "drive by wire", so when you apply to gas pedal, there will be a delay, and additional delay for computer to select the right gear. Some what problem occurs more often for 5sp transmission.
    Sometimes, I wonder if the computer tries to learn your habit of driving, the memory or buffer may be full in length of time and it may be stuck with unknown state (bad design :confuse: ).
    You may try to reboot the ECU (disconnect neg battery terminal) to see if problem is still exist.
  • Options
    Rose,
    My noise is a tapping sound that is coming from the engine, and it is very very loud when the engine is warmed up and the vehicle is in gear. The dealership first tells me that this is normal, and that all the Camry 4 cylinders have this tapping. I told him I found it hard to believe that Toyota would design an engine that has this problem, and that I got the Camry for two reasons, quiet ride, and dependability. After all that was said the tech said that Toyota knows that there is a problem, but thereis no fix for this non-conformity. They gave me an R.O. that stated this tapping noise was normal even after what the tech stated, that there is a problem, and Toyota is a wear of it. Your thoughts? Anyone else out there have this normal/ annoying/ embarrassing engine noise???? Your help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    NIKI1
    PS: HELP!! LOL :lemon:?? :lemon:?? :lemon:?? :lemon:??
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    Well, I'm absolutely delighted that it worked, and thanks for getting back with us for letting know your success story with the turn signal bulb contact problem.

Now, based on my experience, you will eventually have to fix it again in the future. For some reason, mine only did it on the driver's side; I never had a problem with the passenger side.
  • Options
    Aren't we taking this to extremes? We're not talking about Ford Pinto engines in the 70s.
  • Options
    From your description, it sounds like you need to replace your front seat belts. They have pretensioners in them that apparently deployed. Like airbags, they can only be used once. Still, even regular seat belts that have been worn in a serious crash should also be replaced.

Your insurance should include it with the rest of the damage repair.
  • Options
    adamhoadamho Member Posts: 32
    Hello,
    I was wondering if anyone knows if the Navigation is the same one they put in the lexus. I have seen pictures of it and it looks like the same one. Also does it have voice recognition on it like the ones in the lexus have? I doubt it but I hope so!!
  • Options
    rennierennie Member Posts: 2
    My Camry is bottoming out when 3 passengers are seated in the rear. I have visited an independent garage, and without looking under the car, they stated that I need new springs and struts. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what fix was required. Also, the price quoted for this repair was about $600.

Thank you
  • Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    3 adult passengers I assumed? I am not surprised to see you run into that bottom out problem.

I have seen so many time when there are 3 people in the back seat in a camry (i have a 97 myself) the rear drop at least a few inches and the tires are nearly touching the wall.

I think you can try to fix the problem by replacing the springs or struts but I don't see it will solve the problem in the long run. Camry has a payload of ?? may check your side door sticker. 3 adults are about 500- 600 lbs? then you in the front.

Unless you carpool with 5 people all the time, otherwise, I would just keep that $600 for something else
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I would be making an appt with my dealer immediately. You've got no VSC or TCS if those lights are on.
  • Options
    toyotafanatictoyotafanatic Member Posts: 8
    I recently purchased a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE about a month ago and I also have noticed a problem with loud engine noise from day one.

I initially thought it maybe a loud engine noise because of the colder winter weather since my previous 1994 Camry had a louder than normal engine sound in the winter and was very quiet in the summer months.

Low and behold, summer kinda came earlier where I live and we have had a couple of consecutive days of 80 plus degree weather. I thought the "loud engine noise" would go away but it didn't. In fact, the noise is louder than in the previous 1994 Camry. This noise of course is annoying as hell and I am quite surprised that a new car was so loud.

I have been reading about a similar issue with owners of other 2005 Camry's. I am just concerned that if I take it to the dealer, they will give me the run around that other posters here the the noise is "normal"

I am just curious if owners of 2002 to 2004 Camry's have a similar engine noise issue. Did they change the engine for the 2005 model? I think they made have produced a "5 speed automatic" version of the engine.

Now I am not sure if its a engine problem(which I think it is) or a problem with Toyota not having enough sound dampening materials behind the engine and the car's interior. My previous camry was this noisy.

Also, I just remembered that they gave me a loaner car(2004 Carmy SE) about two weeks ago for a day while they added a spoiler to the Camry. The loaner car didn't have any noticeable engine noise coming from it.
  • Options
    Well, what do you mean by loud? Roar, tap, knock, moan, whine, other?

Do you have a 4-cylinder or a V6?

The engines have not changed between 2004 and 2005. The automatic transmission on the 4-cylinder was changed from a 4-speed to a 5-speed. The V6 retains the same 5-speed from '04 to '05.

The Camry has plenty of sound deadening, so that's not the problem. If the loaner Camry was noticeably quieter, you could have a problem. I'd get aggressive with the dealer and make sure they're aware of the difference between your car and another example.
  • Options
    Maybe it's time to change engine oil.
  • Options
    I only have 800 miles on the car so far. Much too early I think to change the oil.

Its a 4 cylinder 2005 Camry XLE. When you depress the gas, you hear like a "roar" until it reaches its requisite speed. Never had that on my previous Camry

Even at stable highway speeds, it just doesn't appear to be as quiet as my previous 4 cylinder 1994 Camry. I am no expert at describing car noises but I just know when something is out of whack.
  • Options
    There is a lot of problems with 5 sp transmission, especially throttle delay, confussion of changing gear. I would guess, if you press the gas pedal and you do not see the response of the car, tendency that you apply more pressure to gas pedal until you hear "roar" from engine result from too much open of throttle.

The older version Camry did not have "drive by wire throttle".
  • Options
    I just discovered the "Camry Rattles" thread here and everyone who has a 2005 Camry seem to have the similar problems. Also, some previous models(2002-2004) also appear to have the same problem.

It seems to be a major problem and when posters here tried to have the dealer fix it, they "deny" it as a problem as usual.

I tell you, my previous 1994 Camry did not have any rattles like my current car. Its annoying as hell.

What can consumers do to have "Toyota" and other manufacturers "fix" problems with cars. The "rattling" may not cause an accident but it is sure annoying as hell.
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    .....lots of complaints noted within these threads........

..based on the sour grapes, noise and whining......

..if i didn't know otherwise....

.i'd think Toyota's were terrible....

2k SE-V6 stick/od twice, 75k: sin problemas.........

'89 Sup Turbo 127k sin problemas......

..where do you people come from..........?
  • Options
    Gotta agree with you; I don't even look at the rattles board. My Camry is as quiet as the proverbial tomb, and so was the '97 that preceded it. Yes, I did have the engine valve stem seals go bad on the '97 4-cylinder at 57K miles (began blowing blue smoke from the tailpipe on cold startup), but the dealer took care of everything under the powertrain warranty, no hassles, no sludge!

The car was otherwise very reliable, up to when I sold it at 111K to get the '04 with side airbags. WAY more reliable than the '90 Mercury Sable that preceded it!

If you have problems, hammer your dealer while the car is under warranty! But rattles, if present, are notorious to track down and fix permanently, like wind noise. I'd rather have rattles or wind noise than allow the dealer to take out my windshield or dashboard -- IMO, the car would never be the same again.
  • Options
    When you say this tapping noise, which I'm experiencing is much worse in my 2005 Camry XLE 4 cylinder when the vehicle is in gear, and the engine is warmed up is caused by the pistons?? What's the fix for this these pistons slapping?? I'll need to have this info when I talk to the dealership or Toyota direct. Thanks
    210 you have been very helpful. On a another note, all readers of this post that are experiencing this same problem need to file a complaint with Toyota, so they (Toyota) will work on a fix for this problem, and the phone number is 1-800-331-4331.
    Thanks To All Involved!!!

PS: I knew I should have purchased the Passat LOL!!
    NIKI1
  • Options
    Strat,
    Thanks for the info, but just a couple of things. This tapping noise is always present, but much much worse when the vehicle is warmed up, and the vehicle is in gear. Your thoughts? This is crazy, because when I talk to Toyota they claim the vehicle is operating as designed, but the dealership told me that Toyota knows that there is a problem with the Camry 2005 4 cylinders, and that there is no fix for it. My Camry was purchased on 2/28/05, and I'm wanting to know if I can get a refund or a replacement vehicle?? ANYONE-THANKS!!!!

Thanks Again To All!!
    NIKI1
  • Options
    I didn't say the noise was piston slapping, someone else speculated that it was. I highly doubt the problem is piston slapping; this is taking the problem to extremes in my opinion.

I also think different posters here are complaining about different kinds of noises; for example yours is a "tap," while toyotafanatic's is a "roar." Still others are griping about "hesitation" -- when they step on the gas, the engine doesn't respond for a second or so.

Have you driven other new or slightly used Camrys at the dealer to see if they make the same noise as yours? Have you tried another dealer, if you've not been satisfied with your selling dealer?

And what is this supposed problem (not counting hesitation) with Camry 4-cylinder engines? The engine itself came out in 2002 and hasn't been changed, except for a slight horsepower increase in 2005. Did they give you any details? Mine is as smooth as silk.

Before you visit any dealer again, you've got to document the problem in as much detail as possible, but not tell them what you think is causing the problem. This is because you could be completely wrong as to the source and lead them down the wrong path. Also drive with them in the car to point out the problem, if it's not obvious otherwise.

From the sound of it, you're not likely to get a refund or a replacement car; the problem doesn't seem serious enough as you describe it.

And be glad, be very glad you didn't buy a Passat! I can tell you about horror stories I've heard about that junkpile, starting with a colleague at work! He couldn't unload his :lemon: Passat fast enough and now has a Camry.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I guess I am one of the beach and moeners! Please do not think that the rattle forum is any indication that the mechanical reliability of the Camry has diminished. The build quality in so far as rattles has though. Of course if they have started cutting corners here one could argue that they may have started cutting corners elsewhere as well. Only time will tell. So far my car has been mechanically sound for 3 years. Based on history, the Camry should go at least another 4 years with no major problems...I guess I'll be convinced in a few more years.

Now, be aware the extremely loyal owners will deny any problems at all. These are the folks who still in their hearts believe there was no sludge issue. Then there are those for whom rattles never annoyed anyway. Then there are those who say there are relatively few rattle posts so it really does not mean anything....its just for belly-achers. However if you go that route then compared to the number of Toyota Owners there are scant few posts on Edmunds anyway so why bother even looking here.

Me, I am a Ford/Plymouth owner prior to the Camry. I decided to spend thousands more to get a car that would be rattle free and trouble free, offer better milage and a better ride. I hope I'd reduce my trips to the dealer to quarterly for scheduled service. I have found the Camry to be a very fine car but not nearly as GREAT as many in the Camry camp would have you believe. Also, I will say that my American cars were not as POOR as their reputation either. Still , I must say that so far I have had less trouble (in fact, sans rattles - none) with the Camry than my prior purchases.

I think the Camry has built a loyal and protective following that you do not find as often on many of the American cars - that is commendable. It nevertheless is flawed in some areas, likely less areas than most cars but still nothing is perfect. If rattles bother you, test drive the car on numerous road surfaces first. Then do yourself a favor and test drive a few 02s and 03 or 04s. See what you think before you purchase and good luck!

PS: The Camry is not hte best car in the rain and snow. I changed my tires with only 12K miles and the new ones are better but the Camry is still one of the poorest performing card in rain and snow I have owned. Get a model with traction control if that is offered now.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    denmandenman Member Posts: 19
    The reason that it is noisy is that it is a four cycl. I test drove a Camry XLE with the four and it was quieter than alot of fours but you could still tell it was a 4 banger. I purchased a 2005 Camry SE with the 3.3 L V6. Awesome engine and so quiet.The gas mileage is almost as good as the four is and I have all that power and refinement.
  • Options
    ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    The 2AZ-FE is just as refined and uses all the same technology. It's just smaller.
  • Options
    dtingleydtingley Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 camry can be very uncomfortable. If the temperature dial is anywhere near the middle, near the change from blue to red, the car puts out quite warm air near your feet, cold air near the windshield or upper vents. There is a big temperature difference. This makes it impossible to be comfortable on a long drive, unless no heating or AC is needed. The dealer tells me there is no problem. Toyota ignores my letters.
    Does anyone else have this concern?
  • Options
    mgregorymgregory Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 CAMRY XLE, the car sat in the driveway for 2 days on march 31st and April 1st of this year and wasn't driven. During those 2 days there was a driving rainstorm. On April 1st I went to the car at around 3 in the afternoon and opened the car door. There was water all over the carpet and the carpet was soaked from the front under the gas pedal all under the drivers seat to the back seat. The seats and the doors were totally dry, the passenger side was totally dry, the doors sills on the drivers side had moisture. I drove straight toyota. Toyota had the car for 6 days and claimed they couldn't find anything wrong. I asked them when I took the car in could they have done something when they repaired the car on march 30th. They put in a new steering shaft. I was wondering if they forgot to seal something up around the fire wall. To make a long story short, they have accused me of driving thru high water, if that was the case the entire car would be flooded not just one side, then said they have 20 cars at their dealership where people drove thru high water, that may be the case, but I didn't. Then they accused me of letting it sit in my driveway and letting it get flooded there, if that was the case, the entire floor board and my house would also be flooded. They told me to call my insurance company, I would gladly do that, because they would pay for new carpet, but that wouldn't find out where the problem is coming from, and that would be fraud because I didn't drive thru high water , and I can't ask the insurance company to pay for something that isn't there fault. There is a leak somewhere and Toyota doesn't want to find it. I've been down there enough with my "b" pillar seat belt rattles, dash rattles ,seat rattles, glass rattles and they are tired of seeing me. Also, I read in the truck forum about a tundra and tacoma that got wet on the driver's side after a bad rainstorm just like my car. But I was called a liar to my face. And I told them dealerships are known to be unscrupulous. I know I have a problem and they won't find it. What did a ghost do it?
  • Options
    oh yeah forgot to mention, first toyota I ever owned, never will own one again. Owned hondas since 1985, just wanted something different! what a mistake. My husband bought this car for me. Guess what he just bought himself a new car, he bought another honda, toyota you can keep the toy!
  • Options
    mijomomijomo Member Posts: 3
    I recently bought a used 2003 Camry XLE. It is a 4 cylinder automatic. I drive about an hour to work every day and travel at about 75 mph on average. I noticed that I am riding at about 2800 RPM and wondered if that is normal. I am concerned that riding at 2800 for such a long time is too hard on the engine. Is this a normal RPM and is it ok to ride the engine so close to 3000 RPM for extended periods of time?
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    That is the way the engine is suppose to turn at 75 mph. It is completely normal and btw, 2800 rpm isn't that high. As long as you are below 4000 rpm during cruising speed you have nothing to worry about. All Camrys from MY 05 have a 5 speed automatic and one advantage is that the fifth gear keeps the rpm lower compare to a 4 speed automatic. My 03 Camry V6 ( 5 speed automatic) turns about 2500 rpm at 75 mph.
  • Options
    The rpm difference you described from the 4-sp AT to the 5-sp AT has nothing to do with the transmission. Rather it's the I4 vs. the V6 that makes the difference. The difference is because of the axle ratio. The overdrive gear ratio for the 4-sp and the 5-sp ATs are the same. But the V6 has a different axle ratio than the I4 and therefore turns at a lower rpm at the same highway speeds if both cars are in overdrive.

And 2800 rpm is absolutely nothing to worry about. My 92 Corolla turned at around 3300 rpm @ 75 mph in 5th gear and some cars turn even higher than that. 2800 isn't even halfway to the redline.
  • Options
    denmandenman Member Posts: 19
    Yea it uses the same technology but it sure doesn't sound as refined. You should hear the four in the Corolla S, it is really noisy. No thanks make mine a V6.
  • Options
    mijomomijomo Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the replies. happy to hear that 2800 is ok.
  • Options
    I believe you but the Corolla S has a different engine, the 130hp 1.8 liter vs. the 160hp 2.4 liter for the Camry. More noise damping insulation in the Camry as well.
  • Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    Yes, sounds like your car has a problem but the bigger problem is your dealer. By reading what you have experienced, this is a bad dealer.

You might want to take it to another toyota dealership and see if they can help. If not, you call up the regional manager near your area and file a complaint.

I own 2 toyota myself and been to different dealerships for services. They are not the same. One of them always tries to talk me into some other services with higher quote and the other only tell me what I really need.

On the other hand, the honda dealer near my area is bad. We went there look for a Odyssey, guess what? many sales person in the lobby but no one even came and say hi. Maybe we were only wear jeans!

Anyway, Camry is a good car and I hope you can get the problem fixed.
    Tried to hose the car in the front near the windshield and see if you can re produce the problem.
  • Options
    w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    Might be that the throddle body needs cleaning with a carb cleaner. Read them carefully some should not be used on fuel injected cars.

Follow the instructions on the can. I had to do the following:

First run the engine at normal temps.

You should then remove the air intact hoses off the throddle and clean it with the carb cleaner inside and outside and on the linkages.

It's an extremely cheap fix if it works. If not it cost you 2 bucks for the cleaner and it should help the car regardless.

If that fails it could be your fuel injectors or your EIC.

Im not a mechanic but I think one of those would fix it.

Those parts stick together a lot I heard. Putting in new plugs and wires has never solved any problems I have had with cars.
  • Options
    I finally did get in touch with southeast toyota distributor. They said because the dealership at this point couldn't replicate the problem, that they are standing by the dealership. I told them it would have been easier to claim with my insurance that I did drive thru high water, but that is fraud, I won't do that. The car comes from their shop on March 30th, sits in my driveway on march 31st and April 1st, in a driving rainstorm, the winds were at 30-40mph, and I get told by the distributor there is nothing they can do.

Finally yesterday I told them I stand my the fact I didn't drive my car, my neighbors are willing to submit an affidavit I didn't drive because the rain was killing my arthritis, and also my driveway wasn't underwater, and it has to be their car. Also got the trucks with the same problem in California after a driving rainstorm. They are sending someone from Miami after the six of the month. They won't even let me meet with them. I told them I would be there and I would meet with them.

Also got my car back under duress yesterday, was told to get it back the carpet would never dry, had to take the factory backing off and put jute on, I had to pay for this. Toyota denied responsibility. $443.00 The carpet has no support and is sagging. They didn't tell me there would be a 3" gap between the carpet and the floor and the road noise is terrible. To top it all off the interior of my car that I kept immaculate with towels on the seats and carpeting is now ruined with grease and shop dust. I took photos. MY interior is ruined. SCREW TOYOTA
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    If you have photos of the greese and dust there should be no issue...they must clean it. If there is a 3" gap they must fix it. Tell the regional office you wish to meet ASAP with someone at the local dealership. If they refuse demand to speak with that person's boss. BE PERSISTANT! . If that fails, go to the internet and find the procedure for filing a smalls claims court case. Find the address of the courhouse and perhaps even some names of judges who handle the cases. Form a letter threatening a small claims court action and litter the letter with the facts you found such as the court address and the honorable judges etc...throw in the name of your neighbors who agreed to testify your car sat there for a few days, hell maybe even throw in the name of your doctor who may be willing to testify. Perhaps it will be enough to get them to 'think' you are serious (or crazy enough) to actually go to court and then they will work with Toyota to reimbuse you and clean your car...and if lucky discover where the leak was coming from. I know it is a pain but obviously your dealer is useless and needs some prodding....very sad. Finally, if you ever get satisfaction, find another dealer.

PS: My wife had a Suburu once that leaked thru the side view mirror, only when the rain hit the car a certain way and I think at a certain verosity. The rain did not poor in luckily.

If I were you I'd get my hose and nozzle, have some one sit in the car, and start spraying in the direction the wind was blowing....spray very close to the car and from a distance, spray everywhere..between the door and fender, the windshield, even up in the fender. With luck you will find the leak, can demonstate it to the dealer , get reimbursed etc etc. GOOD LUCK.

PSS:
    Call another dealer and tell them about the steering repair you had done. Ask them if they forgot to put any parts back if you were in danger of getting water in your car and about where the water would come...
  • Options
    britinusabritinusa Member Posts: 1
    My 94 XLE V6, all of a sudden has started to run rough, at idle speed you can feel the car shaking, when you accelerate you can feel the shake and then it smooths out. it ran normal for a day and then went back to being rough again
    it feels as though it is firing on 4 cylinders instead of 6,
    it has 144,000 miles on the clock. any input would be wonderful
This discussion has been closed.