Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    jons01jons01 Member Posts: 59
    I ended up buying a set of Michelin tires at Merchants Tire and Automotive. When I arrived to have them installed, the manager told me he did not have a full set of the Harmony tires in my size, so he upgraded to the top of the line Hydro Edge for the same price. The final cost was $596 including lifetime balancing, wheel alignment, road hazard insurance and tax.

These are 85,000 mile tires with supposedly excellent traction in rain and snow. This is the first time that I have bought Michelin tires, but it seems hard to go wrong from what I have heard and read about them.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    gautamaroragautamarora Member Posts: 16
    Called Toyota today and opened a case for Non Acceleration problem.

To All, please call Toyota and get a case # for Slow pickup / Non Acceleration.

Here is the # 1 800 331 4331 ext 314
  • Options
    peter panpeter pan Member Posts: 75
    The Hydro Edge series must be the one designed with fancy tread patterns to provide extra traction on wet/slick pavement, which would be an excellent choice for snow-belt areas.

$600 for the set, including lifetime alignment and hazard insurance seem like an excellent deal.

In my experience, Michelin tires always perform very well, last much longer than most other brands, and the best thing is, they require very little maintenance and care... I am a lazy guy. I dont enjoy checking tires' pressure and wear patterns, or waiting around for the shop to do their balancing, rotation, alignment... My Michelin tires are always doing fine!
  • Options
    I saw some improvement after the 5000 miles service due to the BG install kit, however, the real change came after using 87 octane.

Acceleration much better now.
    Smooth shifting of gears.
    RPM goes over 4000.
    Engine starting problem is also gone.

BTW, Today I Got a call from the dealer after opening the case with Toyota. Haven't fixed appointment yet.
  • Options
    jrpjrp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Toyota Camry V-6. The car starts fine in the mornings. The starting problem occurs when I turn my car off and need to restart a few minutes later. The engine turns and the car starts, but then the rpm starts decreasing and the engine stalls. I used to be able to switch into Neutral and then start the car, but that no longer works. I have to let the car cool down 5-10 minutes, before starting again. The cooling down time seems to be getting longer. Any suggestions as to what the problem is and what I can do to fix it.
  • Options
    comsecoiccomsecoic Member Posts: 2
    The door lock switches on my 1999 Camry (drivers and passenger side) won't operate the automatic door locking mechanism. The locks will open and close by the door key, but not the interior door switches. I did look at the wiring diagram for the door lock system and it seems the only thing that could be bad is something called the Integration Relay. Has anyone ever experienced this problem or know where this relay may be located and the cost of this relay?
  • Options
    cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    Gautamarora,
    What is BG install kit you mentioned ?
  • Options
    BG install kit is a part of 5000K service. Its a Fuel System Cleaner. I think it is poured into the gas tank.

Gear shifting got better after the service, but using 87 octane significantly improved performance. My car never use to go over 3.2K rpm and today in 3rd the gear it went upto 5000 rpm generating nice acceleration. I don't know if Camry can get better than this.

Also, I always had starting problem even when engine was hot. Sometimes I had to try 2-3 times and now car starts in the first try.

I must tell that my 99 Honda Civic was way refined than my V6 Camry. Never had a single problem. It use to half kick start in extreme winter.

I hope above helps. I am still gonna go to the dealer and keep you guys updated.

Please open a case with Toyota. I am also going to write my reviews on Edmunds.
  • Options
    wwlccpwwlccp Member Posts: 25
    I recently bought a 02 V6 SE. I also own a Highlander. The problem that I'm having is that ,on the Highlander, when you shift the car into "D", the light will turn bright green and when you switch on the parking or headlights, it will stay that bright. On the Camry, when you shift the car into "D" without the headlight/parking lights, the "D" is bright green, but when have the headlights/parking lights on, the "D" isn't as bright, but the other gears, "P", "N", "1", ..... stays the same when the lights are on. Is this the same for everyone else?
  • Options
    Thanks for info. I am little confuse why 87 octane would improve the performance ( opposite to user's manual note which recommended higher octane). I am using 89 octane, I find the car performs better compared to 87 octane. I noticed the car performance dropped little compared when it was new (14K on my meter now), and gas consumption increased by 10%. I just have changed air filter, the acceleration is much better now, I will check if gas mileage would improve.
  • Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Is there any place to find a list of Camry recall notices?
  • Options
    Hi, Car's computer should be able to know which octane is being used and then adjust different parameters.

Owner's manual suggest to put 87 octane but higher for better performance. I think my car's computer can't verify which gas is being used and that's why I had performance problems when using higher octane. I have an appointment with Dealer this weekend and then I may find out what wrong.

Could you please write how to change the air filter ?

Thanks,

Gautam
  • Options
    solara4solara4 Member Posts: 12
  • Options
    For changing air filter, it took 15-20 minutes. I had to remove 2 screws, 3 hoses (marked them), and 2 of electrical connectors. If I could capture the picture, I will show you.
  • Options
    hank2hank2 Member Posts: 76
    Does anyone have any info about this recall ?

http://money.cnn.com/2004/07/26/pf/autos/camry_recall.reut/

Thanx,
     -hank2
  • Options
    kansasdavekansasdave Member Posts: 1
    My '03 Camry XLE V6 downshifts at very unusual times such as decelerating in heavy freeway traffic or when touching the brake at the top of an exit ramp. At moderate speeds (25 - 45) it surges. In cold weather it takes an unusually long time to shift into 5th gear (overdrive). When starting to move, unless I accelerate rapidly, it upshifts into second gear very quickly accompanied by significant revving of the engine during the shift. When slowing for a changing stoplight it apparently does not downshift until I press the accelerator in which case it revs and jerks heavily during the downshift. The dealer says this is all controlled by the computer. Is there a fix or do we just tolerate this? About 27,000 miles so far. (My previous 2001 Camry XLE V6 had none of these problems. However, it was not the 5-speed transmission.)
    KansasDave
  • Options
    kansanDave=> I had the same problem. Read my previous post 2392 and write back if you see any Difference.

cam2003=> could you please write in detail how to change Air Filter ?.

Thanks,
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    About the long time it takes to shift into 5th when cold - it is supposed to. All newer cars are this way, because this helps the emission controls to work more quickly (warm up the cat. converter). Check the owner's manual - it should say something about this.
  • Options
    gautamarora ,
    Look at picture and follow my instructions for remove the air filter
    Link picture:
    http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/4106f921_f636/bc/My+Documents/Camary_- filter_replace.jpg?bf42vBBBk5gOTBkx

1- Loosen 2 screws
    2- Disconnect 2 electrical connectors by pressing end clip and pull it out
    3- Disconnect the hose: need to open the clamp and pull the hose out
    4- Disconnect 2 air hoses, mark them so you know how to put them back later on

Now you can lift one end of filter box (start at screw end), slide out the old filter.
    When put new filter in, pay attention the mark of side up and front of filter.

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the instructions.

BTW, I can't get to the page. It says "not found".
    Could you please re-write the link?

Thanks,

Gautam
  • Options
    cam2003,

Sorry, I still can't open it. Returns "The page cannot be displayed".

Thanks
  • Options
    Give me your email address, I send it to you.
    Some reason, the yahoo briefcase would not work here.
  • Options
    Here is my email id: gautam_11@hotmail.com

Thanks
  • Options
    filmerfilmer Member Posts: 1
    I believe there is a TSB to correct the above problem on the 04 Camrys, although I can't find an explanation. It should also apply to the 02 & 03's in my opinion....re-alignment doesn't do it. Can anyone describe what they do to fix it?
  • Options
    toyotawolf762toyotawolf762 Member Posts: 2
    I've got an 85 camry with 4 cyl 2 se engine, about 240k,..I've changed the air flow meter; cold start injector; fuel filter; fuel pressure regulator; ignition coil; ignitor ditrib. cap; plugs & wires; ECU comp; EFI main relay; circuit opening relay; fuses all good; timing is right on; has good spark; good compression; is getting good fuel to the cylinders and still won't even fire....am TOTALLY stumped....any help GREATLY appreciated....thanx.
    Keith in Regina,Sask. Canada
  • Options
    => cam2003,
    Could you please resend the email as I haven't received yet.
  • Options
    Check you email, I have sent twice
  • Options
    themoon77themoon77 Member Posts: 102
    One of the front speakers in my 89 Camry is blown, so I've decided to get a new pair of 3.5 inchers. I want to replace them myself, problem is I don't know how to get the old ones out. Anyone have access to a diagram or some instructions I could use? Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    hanomag2511hanomag2511 Member Posts: 3
    I was also thinking about replacing the front speakers on my '89, but after taking the speaker covers off, the speakers were inside a "metal cage", I couldn't get access to them. Gave up on the speaker project :/
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    The front speakers are a special size from what I have read. When these 2nd generation Camrys were more popular, Crutchfield had speakers listed for odd sizes like the Camry front apeakers.
  • Options
    bill13241bill13241 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 Carmy LE 4-speed automatic transmission with 2500 miles that has exactly the same problem talked about in this thread - jerky, intermittent shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. The dealer could not replicate the problem although he did add 1/2 quart of transmission fluid. This thread says there are two possible solutions 1) replace the Valve Body and 2) reset the software. Did either of these solutions fix the problem for anyone?
  • Options
    lena132lena132 Member Posts: 56
    I hate to tell you guys this but nearly every other Toyota that shares the drive-by-wire transmission is having this jerky problem. In my Sienna, it sometimes hesistates to move therefore when the computer does decide to downshift, the car slams into gear an off we go. The Lexus RX330 shares the problems. I don't know about the ES330. So I guess the computer is a bit delayed in figuring out which gear. Could be a hazard when dodging traffic.
  • Options
    solara4solara4 Member Posts: 12

It's definitely true with our 04 Solara SLE convertible also. It has a manual side-by-side alternative, however, that doesn't have the problem. But in automatic mode, it's there every time.
  • Options
    Oh how comforting to know that the Solara has the problem too. Toyota should do something about this. Would redesigning a new transmission and replacing the defective ones help?

I suspect that the ES330 is suffering the same thing. All right, what other Toyota product has this 5-speed?
  • Options
    rogmanrogman Member Posts: 24
    bill13241,

I am waiting for a response on this problem also. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem. Been back twice. They changed tranny fluid the first time around....no help. Will be taking car in for 6000 mile maint next week. Will hound the dealer for 3rd time. If they cannot fix...will try another dealer. If that does not work I will contact Toyota and really start complaining.
  • Options
    I thought only 5-sp has this type problem but as you described 4-sp is as well.
  • Options
    Rogman -

Thanks for the update. I am taking the 04 Camry back to the dealer for a recall on the curtain side air bags, and will get the transmission checked a 2nd time. This time I will ask that they reprogram the transmission software and check/replace the Value Body. I also wrote an email to Toyota yesterday. I will post details on what happens.
  • Options
    drew107drew107 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Toyota Camry Le. My AC system is leaking and recently with huge rain storm here in NJ, water came inside and flooded my carpets. I had car inspected and there were no other problems with the car.

To fix the carpets and AC, it would cost me about $1,200. The estimate for the carpet is $711.00 and the estimate for the AC hose is about $400.

I still owe about 6K on the note. i bought it in 2000 with about 30k miles. Now the car has about 103k miles on it. Should i try to tell it privatel or take it to dealer and trade in for new vehicle.
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Why can't you let the carpet dry out? Did dirty water get in? There are websites with aftermarket carpeting. Could you rip it out and reinstall it yourself?
  • Options
    Don't tell me you live in Bergen County....God Bless you.
  • Options
    unknowntomeunknowntome Member Posts: 1
    My Camry 2000 air bag sensor/computer was corroded by a blocked air conditioner drain.
    Anyone encounter either of these problems ?
  • Options
    cal galcal gal Member Posts: 4
    Well, there's been a whole other string of messages on the Camry Solara - Part 6 forum. Message #3425 is my latest update on my 2004 Solara SLE.

I consider this to be a safety issue because I can never predict just what kind of lag I'll have and how fast I'll eventually go. I'm hitting the brakes more often; plus I've been getting a strange downshift shudder when I take my foot off the gas. See my message for more detail.

Bottom line: Continue to escalate with your dealer. I have started arbitration. File your complaint and the company will have to address the issue. Good luck.
  • Options
    peter panpeter pan Member Posts: 75
    Please describe the problem in more details. Does the engine crank but not firing and catching on at all? If you have good sparks at the plugs then the only problem is not getting fuel into the cylinder.

Check for sparks at the plugs.
    Check to make sure the fuel pump works.
    Spray into the fuel injector's inlet with 2 cans of fuel injector/ carburetor cleaner as you crank the engine to clean out plugged injectors...

Good luck.
  • Options
    leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Some more info about it not firing would help. When you turn the key, does the starter engage at all? Any sounds from the starter (should hear an audible "click" from the starter engaging)? If there are no sounds, it could be your starter or maybe your flywheel. When the camry's get old, the teeth in your flywheel and/or starter become deformed and will stick after the starter fires the first time. Since they are stuck, the car won't start again until the starter retracts. The starter will retract after beating on the starter or after it cools down. Hope this helps.

Leon
  • Options
    tamdentamden Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Camry and it failed emissions here in Georgia. I have had all the components replaced in the emissions system and now the vacuum hose, if it is attached, causes the engine to lunge and die. The car drives great with the vacuum hose detached, but of course the check engine light is on again. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what needs to be done?
  • Options
    gfygrlgfygrl Member Posts: 3
    I have an 86 Camry sedan (4 cyl) that stalls about 10-15 minutes after driving it. My mechanic was able to determine it's a 'spark' problem, not fuel.

I get a bit of a warning a few minutes before it dies with some stuttering or lurching (and the rpms go down when that happens). When it dies, it just stops entirely. No nothing. No sound, no engine...nothing. But, the dash lights come on and the radio, if on, stays on. He's checked the alternator and the battery and the spark plugs and says they're all fine. He also was unable to find any computer malfunction codes.

I don't drive my car much (it's an 86 with just 133,000 miles on it!)...just short in-city trips a few times a week.

I found one message on here that sounded like a similar problem (wong?) but there wasn't really a response to it. So, I thought I'd sign on and try again.

I'm at my wits end...I still have to drive it occasionally and I'm taking my life it my hands when I do. It's very scary when it just stops.

Thanks for any help!
  • Options
    gfygrlgfygrl Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever figure out what was going on with this? I've recently posted a new message for my 86 Camry that is doing the exact same thing! And the conditions are the same...I don't drive much either. Hope you figured something out.
  • Options
    chavochavo Member Posts: 2
    When my Camry '93 reaches 50 mph the front begins to shake and vibrate. ONLY when the gas pedal is depressed and I am accelerating; if I let go of the gas pedal there is no shaking and vibrations. Problem disappears at about 60 mph or maybe it's less noticeable. Had new front tires, realigned front (at Belle Tire who did a messy job-broke a hub bolt), changed tie rod ends, don't know what to do anymore. Any help? I would appreciate your comments very much.
  • Options
    For anyone with a 2004 Camry with an automatic 4-speed transmission:

A week ago I filed a complaint with Toyota on an intermittent jerky shift from 1st to 2nd gear ... feels like I am riding over a washerboard for 1-2 seconds. After several days, Toyota told me that no one else has filed a similar complaint on a 4-speed transmission (although they acknowledge a problem with the 5-speed transmission). I would like to hear from anyone who has a jerky shifting problem with a 2004 Camry with a 4-speed automatic transmission. I am particularly interested in whether you filed a complaint with Toyota, whether Toyota fixed the problem, and how they fixed the problem. If you have a Technical Service Bulletin number on this problem, please share. Thanx
This discussion has been closed.