Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda5 5-speed automatic vs manual transmission

f14tomcatf14tomcat Member Posts: 9
edited March 2014 in Mazda
Hey guys. I am about to finalize a purchase on the Mazda5, but am holding out for the 2008 refreshment. I had my mind set on the stick as I have looked over the 2007 model year since the auto was a 4speed at the time. But now they have introduced the 5speed and that evens things up. I can drive a stick well, so can my mom and since it is to be her car I guess that is most important. The mileage is better with the stick shift but how smooth and refined is it? In other words how slick? Is it worth going with the stick shift for the lower cost and higher mileage or is there some reason to go with the new 5speed auto? Any advice will be appreciated in any form, even if you were in this descion, which would you choose. I would appreciate that. Hope to hear from you all soon. Thanks!

Big Pat

Comments

• coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    My other car is a Honda with Manual Transmission and I can tell you that the Mazda5 one feels more precise and smoother (it has a sportier/more accurate feeling). Also, wife recently drove a Volvo V40 (the station wagon, Manual Transmission) during a trip and her comment was that the Mazda5 "clutch" was much "softer/lighter", particularly during a big traffic jam.

Now, I should say that I did not choose the manual transmission because of the better economy or lower price, but because wife and I feel much more comfortable with it (both learned how to drive on a manual) plus also because is a lot of fun to drive.

So, in summary I would say manual, but don't force yourself to drive it just because of the 2-3 extra MPG if at the end you are not enjoying the drive for the next 2-5-7 years ;)
  • andydicoandydico Member Posts: 12
    I have an automatic because my wife would have an easier learning with one in the near future. Should it have been my choice, I would've chosen a manual transmission, driving an automatic to me is like playing Gran Turismo with a steering wheel. If you enjoy driving then by all means get a manual. :)
  • athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    my 2 cents
    if you drive mostly in the city during rush hour - it is nice to have auto box. if you live in a small town and or do a lot of hiway then go stick. stick is nice in the short term but i enjoy auto box- I have found that auto boxes are great. why not take out a mazda 3 with auto -5 speed same engine(bit less torque). If it is just 0-60 I bet that there is less than .25 of a second difference.
  • jonat1xjonat1x Member Posts: 34
    We thought we wanted a manual and simply couldn't find one so opted for the 2008 Touring with 5-speed auto and manual, clutchless override. After 3,000 miles, I don't even use the manual override any more. The automatic is so incredibly intuitive to my style of driving that it is always in the right gear - I'm SO-O-O impressed! Don't hesitate to buy the automatic.
This discussion has been closed.