Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata Brakes

dmnpnkstrdmnpnkstr Member Posts: 1
edited August 2014 in Mazda
Hi there!!! Anyone know where I can get a brake reservoir for my 16 year old baby. The one he has is leaking. Don't need the whole kit, just the reservoir. I have checked Miata.net and several other auto parts stores. I keep hitting a dead end.

Thanks!!
Victoria

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The local junk yard!

I found one older Miata at the junk yard near Darien, CT. Not that town, the next one over.

I got a hood prop rod holder there once.

Of course nowadays it's probably under "previously loved auto parts recyclers" or some crazy name like that. :D
    I traced a brake fluid leak to the rear driver's side. There is a very slow, drip leak from the bottom of the caliper. It looks like it's coming from the parking brake, but I'm pretty sure that's a cable system, so the fluid must be coming from the brake caliper.

Here's a pic. I changed the pads a little more than a year ago, but the calipers are original, now 14+ years old.

Could it be something else?

Should I rebuild it? Replace it? Do both sides, or just the driver's side?

I've circled the area where the drips come from. It's on the inner side of the caliper, at the bottom. I have a bleeder hose attached and made sure there's no air in the hydraulic lines.

On the lower left is the parking brake line.

Any help?
  • cjrsnowcjrsnow Member Posts: 1
    Had trouble with braking on wet surfaces, so I replaced rear routers and calipers. The drivers side is good, passenger side caliper and router are an issue. There is no space between caliper/router, how do I fix this problem?
  • banditmotorbanditmotor Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem. Were you able to get a solution or fix?
    I replaced the caliper. It was indeed leaking.

I bought a rebuilt one, so it wasn't very expensive, though I had to leave a deposit until I took the old one back and returned it. I guess they will rebuild that one, too.
This discussion has been closed.