Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Bigger & Better

Comments

• Options
    shedevil1shedevil1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all, OMG, if you recall, I began reading/chatting in this topic because I was very interested in the Cougar..
    well guess what....I finally got it!!! I got the one I wanted...I bought the 2000 zinc yellow with the fun and sun package (as well as both V6 optional packages) In about one week, I am getting the ground effects kit put on the corner. Needless to say, most people will probably wonder what kind of car it is..The car (which the dealerships call limited and special edition version) It's limited because the zinc yellow color. Besides the color, it has slightly different seats with the cougar logo (animal) logo on the headrest, the 16" rims with the cougar shaped emblem in yellow, front mats with the yellow cougar logo and lettering, the third generation tail for 2000 and a 6 CD Stereo. If you can only see me now...I'm beaming with excitement. If anybody has a copy of the sportscompact magaine's August edition, there is an article on a Cougar "Eliminator" V6 edition. Of course, this was a project by Ford and other auto experts, to show off a much faster, modifed prototype. Just go to there website,
    http://www.sportcompactweb.com. Check the back or previous issues for August and you will see a small picture of the yellow elimintor cougar. It looks fantastic and of course fast. Anybody have any tips or precautions on my break in period of my little kitty? All and any comments are definetly appreciated :)
  • Options
    fredlyfredly Member Posts: 201
    Shedevil: break in, vary RPMs, oil change at 1000 as recommended by FMC.
    Also as you near the end of your break in period the muscles will be stronger in your face and the cramps from smiling will eventually fade away.
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    I've put the '99 Cougar MTX into the shop to have the following checked:

up-and-down thermometer
    squeaky, sticky clutch
    parking brake with TOO MUCH pull

Will let everyone know how the first one comes out -- seems like others are having thermometer problems.
  • Options
    badulahbadulah Member Posts: 961
    All New Cougar Owners:
    Congrats and welcome to the owners club!! All of you should check out the CSG's home page at:
    http://home.att.net/~cougarsupportgroup

Blackcoug1:
    First off I would install the KKM Tru-Re Intake System. This will open up the intake and allow the Cat to breath freely. A Borla Cat-Back exhaust system is also a good idea. Check out www.kustomz.com for some great mods, and then check in on the CSG's modification topic for some other great ideas.
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    LOL! Actually I havn't noticed the crickets in a couple of weeks. Following a fellow CSGer's advice, I checked the lug nuts and found that one was actually loose on the squeeky wheel. I also washed the calipers, etc. with soap and water as best I could. I don't know if either of these actions was the fix - perhaps the crickets just 'went away' (Iguanas?).

A.
  • Options
    shedevil1shedevil1 Member Posts: 3
    I was so excited to drive off with my new cougar..I forgot certain important things.
    I do recall my sales rep telling me that
    as long as I do short distance drives in
    the city for the first 300 miles, that would
    be the break in period. But then I have heard the break in period is 1000 miles not to exceed 55 miles. Needless to say, I am not sure which to believe...I'm to embarassed to call my sales rep. Can any new Cougar owners share with me what they were told as the break in period...
    I don't even recall the 1000 mile oil change
    suggestion. Help!!!
  • Options
    jayhawk5jayhawk5 Member Posts: 70
    My salesman told me that there wasn't a 'break in' period for today's cars- that was years ago that you needed to do that. However, I did take it a little easy on my cat for the first 1000 miles. No drag races or the like. Good luck!
  • Options
    daspafdaspaf Member Posts: 5
    shengz - Just like scratch3 says, that buzzing sound is a cable (I can't remember which one) behind your dash that vibrates against the fire wall (at a certain rpm). Have your service dept re-route the cable.

all - in case any of you have experienced the "hot soak" problem (drive cat 'til engine warms up - shut cat off for 30 minutes - restart cat - engine idles rough), FMC engineers have a control module update to address this (at least that's what they told me when they re-programmed mine). Just got mine back. We'll see if it works!
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    Congratulations!!!

As for the break-in period, I've heard several conflicting reports on that--from no break-in period to 1,000 miles. I took the safe route and drove her gently (nothing over 70 mph) her first 1K miles. Then I changed her oil at that point, and she's been driving beautiful ever since. If you have a mtx, it's a bit rough at first, but as you put in the miles, she'll be much smoother.

Also, be prepared for strangers complementing on your car. And if you feel paranoid like people are watching you, it's because they are. Especially you, Shedevil, with your zinc yellow, you'll definitely stand out, but then you already know that.

Enjoy the Cat and welcome aboard Cougarland.
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Congrats on your new rides. I know you will enjoy them.

Shedevil: I bet your Zinc Yellow Cat is great looking!!!! As far as breakin goes, it is better to be on the safe side and take it easy, rather than drive her hard and risk egine damage. Good luck!!

badulah: How's your car doing? Any update?

I'm bringing my Cat in for service on Monday to have them look into the rattles in my dash. Also, my left fron speaker cuts off sometimes. When that happens, I usually open and close the door and the speaker will come back on. Interesting!!!! Other than that all is well!!!!
  • Options
    barhenderbarhender Member Posts: 12
    we want many pictures
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    shedevil:

The best recommendation regarding your break-in period, oil change interval (and all other such questions) is to thoroughly read your Cougar's Owner's Manual TODAY. It was written by the experts at Ford. All the correct answers are there. Use a Zink Yellow highlighter on anything that strikes your fancy, so you can readily refer back to it.

Don't depend upon the automotive expertise of the sales rep. They usually don't have any.

You've bought a great car. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Shedevil:
    Page 2 of your owners manual:
    "BREAKING IN YOUR VEHICLE
    There are no particular breaking-in
    rules for your vehicle. Simply avoid
    driving too fast during the first
    1,600 km (1,000 miles) Vary
    speeds frequently. This is necessary
    to give moving parts a chance
    to break in.
    If possible, you should avoid hard
    braking for the first 1,600 km
    (1,000 miles)"

*what is FMC definition of too fast,?
    ** I blew the braking part to hell at 30 miles on the clock... had to avoid a 2x4 in the middle
    of the road...but I did learn quickly that the car loves to slalom :)
    *** I also blew the too fast part at 75 miles if its >70, I didn't realize I was doing 90 in the rain... what a smooth ride

regarding oil change at 1,000 miles I contacted FMC directly
    to get this information.. and even if it wasn't recommended
    it doesn't hurt.
  • Options
    alexsalemalexsalem Member Posts: 1
    Breaking in is an RPM related matter. Not exceed a certain revs depends on car/engine specs. New engines usually have metal particles and you should have the first oil change ASAP that's 1k miles "or less". However, I have a question; In Europe they use Mobil 1 Synthetic oil, longer life, better for the engine and doesn't make the engine overheat in hot weather with AC load etc.
    Does FMC offer it, or an alternative? and if I use it will it void warranty or at least it will the excuse for anything that may go wrong in the future?
  • Options
    alexsalem:

No, Ford does not offer synthetic motor oil as an option in new U.S. vehicles. No, using it on your own will not void your warranty. Just follow Ford's recommendation to use "SAE 5W-30 VISCOSITY GRADE FOR SERVICING ANY FORD GASOLINE-POWERED VEHICLE REGARDLESS OF MODEL YEAR."

Perhaps a few good questions to ask yourself are:

1. If I plan to change my oil initially at 1K miles and at 3K mile intervals thereafter, why should I care about longer oil life expectancy?

2. Why should I change my oil any more frequently than the vehicle manufacturer, who employs thousands of engineers, recommends?

3. Why should I use a much more expensive "designer" synthetic oil than the vehicle manufacturer, who employs thousands of engineers, recommends?

4. Who, other than those who profit from the sale of oil, says that synthetic oil is better for the engine? Surely it is not the vehicle manufacturer.

5. When was the last time that I heard of anybody's engine overheating in hot weather with AC load unless it was due to a failure of some part of the cooling system such as a leaky hose, water pump, radiator or inoperative fan?

6. Why should I waste my money?
  • Options
    Perhaps I should ask myself the question:

Why didn't I spell "Questions" correctly in post #729?
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hi everyone...welcome to the new kitty owners, too!

Just back from a 615 mile road trip and of course Adelaide handled beautifully, especially on a nasty mountain in a horrific downpour with 18-wheelers zipping around. Those things are scary! Eeeshhh!

Had the brake groan sound this morning after the car sat for a day and a half in the rain before I headed the rest of the way back home. It was only the one time on the first braking of the day, so I'm thinking along the lines of whoever here said it was probably a light rust coat that developed.

Still getting lots of looks & compliments on the Cougar, which I love! :)
  • Options
    cbruno1cbruno1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    i am looking into buying a Cougar in the next few weeks, but after I looked around here... i read about the supposed "S" with more horsepower. Is this something that will be released for 2001? When the heck to 2001 Cougars come out period? One dealer told me one month but never know whether to believe them or not. I did a test drive today with the v6 auto and became scared of the performance... but after reading here and some other reviews i am going back tomorrow to test with v6 manual. plus i have not seen any other info on the web concerning the S. So just any other info on this would be appreciated. I already know i am getting mine loaded. But now a few more questions.

1. is leather seats worth getting? I saw one model and didn't like their design, but it was a 1999 and haven't seen a 2000 with leather... they looked wierd with small holes up and down.

2. the stereo... i test drove one with the new 6-cd indash player... but wasn't impressed with the output. did most of you put in new systems or keep the original?

Thanx... but hopefully i'll get some replies soon because I may even decide to buy this weekend!
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    cbruno

I've got the leather seats in my kitty. The 2000 Cougar also has the perforated leather. It took a while for me to find a comfy seat (I almost didn't buy a Cougar because of it) and ended up with the leather power sport seat with side airbags.

I've got the stock CD in-dash player, but I'm not an audiophile so it sounds okay to me. That question is better taken up by another owner here.
  • Options
    Hey- The sticker price that I saw on Amazon.com's car section for the S type was $22,500. I think they are only making 2000-3000 of them however, so they might be difficult to get. I think that they should be out in the next month. As for leather, I don't have it. I know a lot of people in here have replaced their stereos too. I have a 2000 mtx v-6 and I love it. Wish it had 200 horses, but I never have regretted my decision to buy it. Good luck on finding an S!
  • Options
    cbruno1:
    The "S" model should be released in the next month or so. It will be on display at the Cougar convention (AKA "Cougar Fest 2000") in Flatrock Michigan on 9/16/00. If I like the looks of it, I might just buy one myself.

Fish8:
    Got my Cat back several days ago. No one is really sure what happened to it, and we are all hoping it doesn't happen again. I have had wonderful support from FMC, so I have no complaints there, but I am a little worried of it happening again. This is a good excuse to trade it in for the "S".
  • Options
    benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Well, I have the leather seats and I love them. The only thing I can complain about seat wise is the height. I would like to be a little bit lower in the seat than what is allowed, otherwise, I am very happy.

As far as the stock stereo, I have no complaints, but if you would have heard my sound in the car before this one you would understand!

I have never driven an ATX Cougar, I test drove only the MTX's I4 and V6, I own the V6. The I4 was quick, but the V6 was calling my name. I can only imagine how the "S" Screams for me to come pick it up every night ;)

Anyhow, I love my Cougar. This car was not my first choice when I started looking, but after one drive it became my only choice. Make sure you check the ads, I got my cat for a great price.
    Good Luck!
    ~Denise
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    Hi, folks,

Got my car back -- no luck with the temperature gauge. They couldn't "recreate" the problem when the temp was in the low 60s here in Atlanta. Damn!

Nevertheless, they did replace my rear brake shoes, which was nice, since I didn't ask for the change. Just a parking brake adjustment.

Now, however, I have a window leak problem, AGAIN! This is the 7th or 8th time I've had this problem, and I'm now into LEMON LAW territory with this. MWS250 -- what's the deal with this? Can you folks fix it, cause I'm going to have to tell Ford to fix it this time 'round.

Later,
    burnsmr
  • Options
    dasaint1dasaint1 Member Posts: 230
    burnsmr4:

With all the flak Ford is taking from Congress for that Firestone "life separation" problems, FMC might not be too concerned with a window leak problem. But good luck, anyway. I know it's annoying as hell, but look at the bright side, it's not life-threatening.

Badulah:

If you get a Cougar S, would that mean you'll start an off-shoot branch of CSG naming it Cougar S Support Group? That would be a select group of 2000-3000 owners. I can just see you guys now--talking about modifying a Cougar S (which is already a modified Cougar to begin with).
  • Options
    Actually I was wondering if my KKM intake would work in the "S".

PS - DEATH TO FIRESTONE AND THIER PIECE OF CRAP TIRES!!!
  • Options
    mws0520mws0520 Member Posts: 45
    Dasaint1 - our warranties are competitive with our major competitors. As others pointed out, Hyundai and Isuzu are trying to establish their brands at any cost...and it is costly.

burnsmr4 - please send me an e-mail (click on my id above) with your problem, vehicle identification number, servicing dealer and a telephone number where you can be reached. I'll have someone look into it.

Cougar Fest - One week from today I will be heading back to Michigan for Cougar Fest. Should be a great time. Looking forward to finally meeting many of you face to face. (I need to work on my tan this weekend).

Cougar S - the rumors are true. It will be delayed until after Jan 1, 2001. We do have a cool special edition to offer in its place (appearance package rather than performance package). It will be shown at Cougar Fest.

See you next week.
  • Options
    aughh...
    no cougar S.... what to do what to do.... can't you bring what you've got already... its always nice to see something different... hehe even that silver cougar s concept... now visually
    I would love that car... don't care about the AWD but that whole package would really be
    sweet.... can visteon put to gether a kit like that....
  • Options
    well i did test drive a mtx tonight and it was decent, although not as powerful as i had hoped... unfortunately the dealership didn't have any good roads to open it up, so I didn't get to truly test it... one complaint i did have was the seat... i am not sure about those that said it was great... the built in lumbar didn't feel the greatest so please tell me if the leather is better... otherwise i loved it! I plan to test a few more this weekend before deciding on a certain one. Can't decide yet between black or red .... as for the Cougar S... if it starts at 22 that will probably go above my budget... so i plan to lease this for now... again if anyone has anymore comments on the seats let me know...
  • Options
    Now i'm really pissed. I was getting myself all psyched up to buy a Cougar-S. Man-O-Man I was really in a buying mood. I sat down this past Tuesday night and paid off some bills, shuffled others around so I could get an "S" as soon as they came out.

Does this delay possibly mean an increase in performance? Maybe 225 horsepower instead of 200? Please tell us that FMC is taking this extra time to increase the performance levels even further that previously stated.
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Hmmmm, Let's see:

1. Shortage of SVT engines.
    2. They have to build the 3.0L Euro version first to make the shipping date, (Can't miss the boat!)
    3. There's a problem with the new headlight assemblies.
    4. Even if they build them, there's not enough rail cars to transport 'em.
    5. Wheel supplier built 20K reject rims and has to start all over again.
    6. Fiberglass is a petrochemical product, and the price of oil has pushed the effects package above budget.

Did I miss any of the old excuses??

Skip G.
  • Options
    Did not project the target audience correctly?

I think that was one of them. That's what the salesmen told me when I asked why it was so hard to get a MTX.
  • Options
    benisembenisem Member Posts: 30
    Well, I guess this ruins the Cougar S heist we had planned for Cougar Fest ;)
  • Options
    I was hoping for it to be one of the door prizes for those of us who registered on time ;-)

Skip G.
  • Options
    I was hoping it was going to be a black "S" on display, this way I could swap it for my Cat and no one would know the difference.

My new CD player just came in. My old one was starting to go. I would get some static through the front channels, and it would no longer play burned CDs. Since I am in to Napster, this problem was unacceptable. I ordered a Clarion Pro Audio DRX9575Rz from Crutchfield because they had the very best price I could find. The dealer where I normally get my equipment doesn't have any in stock, and this is last year's model, so he can't get them any more. I will be installing it in my Cat over the weekend along with a list of other things I have to do to her.
  • Options
    Look at it this way: The longer it take for the "S" to come out, the longer you have to save money.
  • Options
    malibumalibu Member Posts: 155
    It doesn't sound like badulah is saving much money to me...buying fancy stereos and all! Just wanted to say Hi...new cat should be here Mon. or Tues. Have to think of a new name though, it just doesn't seem right to name her Max II. Max will always hold a special place in my heart and I know after time I'll feel the same about the new one, but I just can't get as excited about it as I was Max. I guess time heals all and I will grow attached to her after a while. I sure hope everyone has a good weekend. Drive safe.
  • Options
    lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Well, the Cougar isn't the fastest car in the world. It just looks that way. The performance is decent, but the engine needs a lot of revs to make power. I certainly wouldn't rev a new car off the lot to 6500 rpm; the salesman probably wouldn't let you do it either. Even if you spin it, it won't break your neck. That's why the Cougar S is so anxiously awaited around here; it may come closer to being fast enough.

I thought they fixed the seats for 2000. I'm comfortable in my Cougar, but lots of people aren't. I don't see where leather would make any difference.
  • Options
    blackcoug1blackcoug1 Member Posts: 15
    Well, had acouple of firsts for my new cat last night:
    1: Got it up to 100, incredibly smooth ride at the century mark and much easier to get it up there than it was with my 95 Escort, go figure. Do the Coug's have a limiter? Acceleration seemed to stop at 100.
    2: Some frat kid hit my door with his door while I was in a c-store getting a pop (soda for those not from Michigan). I came out and saw him and my girlfreind examining the door. No damage, but I think the kid nearly wet himself when he saw how mad I was (but he did apologize and said it was a beautiful car). Such is life in a college town.

Where is Flat Rock Mi.? I'm from Kalamazoo (SW Mich.) and have never heard of Flat Rock. Another issue I'll have to deal with is the Street Rod Nationals. We've got em in K'zoo next weekend, and if I'm not mistaken, Cougarfest is next weekend too, am I right? I believe badulah put it best when he said what to do what to do.

As for anyone wondering about the seats, I've got a 2K with cloth and I find the seats comfy as hell. Maybe my back is shaped differently from everyone elses but I like the seats.
  • Options
    Never mind the where is Flat Rock thing. Brain synapses misfiring again.
  • Options
    well i did it! bought my cougar yesterday... i ended up getting a Red V6 ATX Special Edition with Fun&Sound package. (6 cd in-dash changer, 16" rims, moonroof) The sound system is plenty for me, as long as it put out clean bass, which it did. (I don't know if they upgraded the speakers too as a part of the F&S package or Special Edition) I love the modified spoiler they put on! After doing a couple more test drives, I decided also on the leather seats, MUCH more comfortable IMHO and worth the money. I've already driven her 200 miles. I did a 3 yr lease so I won't be making any modifications :( As for my questions about MTX & ATX, I decided it wasn't that big of a deal between the two, ATX still had enough punch for me... (or maybe it was because there was only one stick on the lot and none of the options I wanted were in it...) Unfortunately, I have had one thing happen already. It started raining this morning. I turned on the rear winshield wiper on and after about 10 minutes it started slowing down and seemed to get stuck and stop in the middle of the window. Turn it off and back on and it would move again, but this happened multiple times... has any one else run into this? I plan to have my dealer check into it this week. Otherwise, it's great!
  • Options
    Never had the rear windshield wiper do that. You should take it in to get fixed. Congratulations on the cougar!
  • Options
    blackcoug1:
    The sports package V6 Cat has a computer controlled top speed of 140mph. Although I don't recommend it, I have had her topped out once before. After 100mph she doesn't not have a massive amount of pick up but she does manage to make it up to that speed without much of a problem.

All:
    This weekend I did a number of thing to my Cat:
    - Installed the new CD player (IT ROCKS!!)
    - Ran the new amp cable
    - Fixed a rattle in the drivers side door
    - Washed her

I was planning on replacing the broken front end grill, but the bone heads at the parts department sent me the wrong one. I needed the driver's side grill and they sent me the passengers. I went there this morning and they reordered it. They put a rush on it and they are hoping it will come in tomorrow. I hope it comes in before I leave for Cougar Fest.
  • Options
    Spent 3.5 hrs yesterday prepping my cat for the trip to Cougarfest. All nice and clean and shiny, right??

2hrs of heavy rain this afternoon.

Well, at least the interior is still squared away.

Skip G.
  • Options
    How did you fix the rattle in the drivers door?
  • Options
    Hey, I was wondering if there is anything special I have to do to become an official member of the CSG. I tried to e-mail you this question, but it didn't work, hotmail wouldn't recognize your e-mail address, weird. Anyway I was just curious if there was a formal process, or if it's just a casual thing.
  • Options
    krnchkrnch Member Posts: 127
    I got back from an out-of-town meeting this morning (about 100 miles round trip) and found a nail threaded through the top of the sidewall on one of my rear tires. I feel pretty lucky that I didn't have a blowout because I was late for the meeting and not abiding by the speed limit.

I pulled the nail out and the tire doesn't seem to be loosing air. I think it may have perforated only the edge of the tread blocks. I plan on watching it over the next few days to see if the tire deforms or loses pressure. I've got about half the tread life left, so I don't really want to replace it. Also, I plan on puting a better set of tires on when they all need replacing. What do you think???

Andy.
  • Options
    If you've got the money to replace it why take a chance, we all know how reliable Firestone tires are anyway. If you didn't hear ny air coming out, it's probably going to have a slow leak or you might have gotten lucky and there is no leak. Personally I'd just replace it rather than anxiety about my tires.
  • Options
    gustafsc:
    Sounds like you have my luck. I have no idea when I am going to be able to detail my Cat for the trip to Flat Rock. Hopefully I will find the time. Actually I think that should be the job of my co-pilot/crew chief. >;-)

Fish8:
    I removed the door panel and tightened every single screw, and used a lot of double sided tape to secure anything that could generate a rattle. I plan to used Dynamat in the doors, but right now I don't have the time or cash for that. Maybe after Cougar Fest is over.

blackcoug1:
    There is no official member registration right this minute. StageLeft has just acquired our new URL and we should have the page moved over to it sometime this week. Once we transfer the page, we will be posting a membership sign up form. Membership has and always will be free to all Cougar owners. WELCOME TO THE CSG!!!
  • Options
    blackcoug1:
    By the way, you can email me at: CougarSupportGroup@worldnet.att.net
  • Options
    camelardcamelard Member Posts: 171
    Do you have Firestones on your Cat? Mine came stock with BF Goodrich.

Badulah:

Glad to hear the new CSG site is almost ready to go. You and Stageleft have done a lot of great work on our behalf. I am afraid I haven't gotten my contribution off to you yet but will post this week. Between holidays, work, life in general, I am behind in a lot of things at the moment.

Pat
This discussion has been closed.