Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Cougar Support Group - Chats On...

Comments

• Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    I left around 8:45 this morning and went to the dealer...got there around 9:15am and looked for the car I drove originally, but as I figured it was gone. The receptionist asked if I had been helped yet and I said no, so she paged for a new car salesman. Thank goodness it wasn't the "rookie" again. I got a very good salesman that wasn't rude at all. We went to the back lot and looked around for a Laser Red Sport with the rear spoiler, sunroof, CD player, auto, etc.

I found one that is a sale price of $15,300 and considering the fact that I'm in school and funds are limited, I went ahead and got the extended warranty. So that brought the final amount due after the downpayment and warranty and rebates to $13,715 and it will be $263.xx a month. It'll be kinda tight money wise for a little while but when ever I have an "extra" paycheck two months a year and get my income tax refund, it'll go to pay down my credit card and then the car and hopefully by then I'll be working as an art teacher somewhere and enjoying myself. :)

I'll check back tomorrow...I think I'd better start thinking of what my new name will be :)

from dwrangler to dcougar...or maybe dtopcat...hey I like that one...any suggestions?

remember be nice ;)
  • Options
    didunkdidunk Member Posts: 3
    Congratulations on your purchase, dcougar! Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I have mine.

BTW, which extended warranty did you end up purchasing?
  • Options
    I got the 7yr/70,000 or is that 100,000 through the dealer, it's CNA National...oh well I know it's what my Dad got when they got their minivan. Mom and Dad don't know about it yet...they just know that I changed my mind about getting a Wrangler and that I really liked the Cougar when I drove it a couple of weeks ago. I hope that I can still use the sale of my Firebird ($6200) to cut down the amount of sales tax I'll have to pay. I got the impression from the finance guy the in Missouri it's 90 days...I hope he's wrong cause I sold it in late May. Anyway, things will hopefully improve now....I just have to find another job soon so I don't mess up my back before I get done with grad school.

Thanks to all of you for making me feel welcome. Hey do you have a chat room here for Cougar owners or enthusiasts?

dcougar ;)

If I ever get vanity plates I thought maybe...dtopcat :)
  • Options
    I changed my username to smedcougar or just sme-d...what do ya think ;) Speaking of which how do I change my username...it's been so long I've forgotten.

Oh well gotta go ;)

sme-d ;)
  • Options
    Well I don't have it yet. I had a message on my answering machine that they couldn't get to putting my moonroof in at the shop that installs them, but they'd get it in tomorrow...so I'll try to post something before I have to leave for class. If not it'll have to be after. I'll let ya know. It's just started to hit me today that I'll have to start making payments on a vehicle again :(;) It was soooo nice not to have one of those due every month...but....it's such a great looking car that I think I can handle it ;)

dwrangler soon to be smedcougar ;)
  • Options
    coolchickcoolchick Member Posts: 174
    Hi smedcougar! Welcome to the CSG :)

I'm still loving my cat after 2.5 years (and another 2.5 years of payments left to go). She's still running like a top, no problems, nothing to worry about except regular maintenance and topping off the coolant every so often when the finicky light decides to come on.

Right now she's due for a good interior cleaning. Things have been hectic and I've been far too careless about letting empty water bottles and the ilk accumulate.

Was on a trip over Labor Day weekend and averaged 32.3 mpg on regular gas with the AC on the whole way. Now that is some kind of great mileage :)
  • Options
    I picked it up today at around 3:30/4pm after I got off work. I asked my brother that lives around the corner from me to take me down to the dealership (yeah the same one that low-balled me). He was incahoots keeping the deal from my parents...I wanted to surprise them like they did when they got their Mercury minivan. I pulled in the driveway and honked (just like they did). It took a few seconds for my Mom to come to the window. Dad came out the front door and I told him...SURPRISE!!! :)

I told them about my first experience at the dealership, and that I didn't like dealing with the "rookie". The salesman that I dealt with the second time did a great job and wasn't rude like the salesmanager and the in-experienced salesman. I got $4000 off the sticker price and had a moonroof installed (that's why I couldn't pick it up until today...they couldn't fit it in the installer's busy schedule Monday). I did get the extended warranty for my own piece of mind.

It will take a few weeks to learn all of the gadgets in this kitty ;) I may decide to get vanity plates if it isn't too expensive(either Cardinal plates or Blues plates...can ya tell I'm a sports nut). Well, thanks for the welcome again and let me know when the Cougar owner's chat group meets...I'd like to do a live chat for a change if everyone's time permits. I've got classes Monday and Tuesday nights (grad school) and the next few weekends (Saturdays at least) I've either got weddings to go to and a couple of reunions to attend so give me some advanced warning.

Thanks for letting this 39 year old sports crazed lady ramble on so ;)

smedcougar
  • Options
    ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Welcome aboard and congrats on picking up your Cougar.

I hope you have a great experience with your Cougar. I'm sure you will love it like all of us love our Cougars.

Happy motoring!

David
  • Options
    At least we agree on the Cougar :) Although I never attended Mizzou, I've always rooted for the "home team" hope that won't cause any conflicts here ;)

I haven't been able to wipe the smile off my face since I got it. It drives great and with all of the options, I feel spoiled :)

If I ever get a digital camera I'll try to post a photo with my new baby and me :)

Have a great weekend :-)

smedcougar
  • Options
    ksuwildcat001ksuwildcat001 Member Posts: 97
    Smedcougar,

Hey, don't worry about it. I won't hold that against you. Atleast you like a Big 12 school and drive a Cougar and that is what really matters! :)

I know what you mean about the smile on your face. I can't wipe mine off either. I still love every minute behind the wheel and look for excuses to take her for a spin. :)

Hope you had a great weekend and have many great years with your Cougar.

David
  • Options
    lmigliorelmigliore Member Posts: 148
    Glad you like your new cat. One thing I found out fast (in California) is that the car has GREAT brakes. Stops straight, true and hard. I hope you don't need them as often as I do.
  • Options
    I'm glad to hear that you feel that way David :)

At least we're not fair weather fans like some of em are.

I thankfully haven't to use the brakes too much yet, but in the St. Louis area that WILL most likely change soon.

Well, I can't stay late tonight typing...got to be at work by 7am tomorrow and I also have a class tomorrow night at 7pm...so you all have a great day Tuesday.

smedcougar aka Deb
  • Options
    smedcougarsmedcougar Member Posts: 27
    Just thought I'd let ya know about the name change. Now if I can just get the taxes paid and if I can afford it...maybe personalized license plates ? Maybe sports related maybe a play on my car name...nickty (nice kitty), dclawd....who knows.

Oh well it's late and I gotta get up early.

Have a great day.

Deb
  • Options
    burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    ...was stuck getting a new engine at only 15K miles? Just wondering, seeing as the enthusiasm for smedcougar's purchase overwhelmed everyone. Poor aussy's engine friggin' fell out! HELP HIM/HER! LOL!

burnsmr4
  • Options
    I was curious...when you go to fill up your cougar (and it has the fancy trip odometer/computer), what all do you reset...the trip odometer, the mpg, the miles to empty (?)...was there anything I forgot or should I leave something off. Oh, in case anyone forgot it's a new 2002 Sport ;)

I wasn't sure if I was reseting it right or not.

I've got a whole 610 miles on the little kitty ;)

Have a great day...

smedcougar
  • Options
    gustafscgustafsc Member Posts: 361
    Smedcougar:

Personally, on a weekly basis, I reset everything, just to keep track of my MPG.

However, on a trip, I'll let it go until I get back and see how I was doing on long, high speed runs. Both average speed and MPG get interesting.

OH! Welcome aboard, and enjoy your new baby ;-)

Skip G.
  • Options
    I never reset anything. The miles till empty resets itself. Everything else is too hard to do while driving since I hate to crash into things.

Every so often I look into the manual to turn the wrench light off.

Cursed be the day they let electronics into cars (and I'm an alpha geek too). Hate chips. Hate chips. Hate chips.
  • Options
    taldrichtaldrich Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 92 Cougar "Bostonian" 4 years ago with 109K Already on it. This has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, just hit 204K. I feel, however, that the end is near but this baby definitely got all the love on the assembly line.
  • Options
    smedcougar - I reset everything when I fill up. That way I can track tank-to-tank if the mileage drops off suddenly for no apparent reason.

(well, that and I like playing with the buttons)
  • Options
    ...and the engine exploded, rocketing through the air, landing on a next door neighbor's child, after which the wheel bolts unscrewed as if by evil cursed magic, causing the tires to fall off and the underbody to hit the ground, but the wheel thing happened before the headlights turned on to 5 million candlepower and melted the front fascia into a puddling of hot bubbling silver goo.

But...that's just the sort of thing my '99 Cougar did all the time. ;-p

Just kidding,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    You reset everything? Including miles to empty, avg mpg, avg spd, trip odometer etc. ? I just want to make sure I'm doing it right because I keep track of my mileage from tank to tank as well so I can get an indication of problems to get them fixed quickly. And although I probably spent almost $1200 with eletronic repairs before I sold my "Firechicken" aka Firebird, I know if I hadn't noticed a problem it could have been more costly than that.

Deb
  • Options
    I went to go pay my salestax and transfer the plates to to "Tigger"...I know it's a Cougar but there aren't any cartoon characters that happened to be cougars that I know of. :) Anyway, I made one small error when I sold my firechicken (Firebird)...I gave the notarized bill of sale to the woman I sold it to. I still had her name and address, so I called her and will hopefully be getting the bill of sale just long enough to pay the sales tax and get the plates taken care of. That will hopefully be the last thing I need to deal with to officially complete the arrival of my new "kitty" or should I say "Tigger" ;)

Have a great day tomorrow...and oh yeah...GO CARDINALS...DO IT FOR JACK BUCK AND DARYL KILE :)

smedcougar...Deb
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    BRAVES # 1
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    I just got a cast on my left leg.

It really sucks driving a stick with one leg.

Broke my leg on a jump (I'm in the 82D Airborne Division).

Momma, don't let your babies grow up to be Airborne....

Also, my kitty's clutch is starting to slip after almost 70,000 miles. I guess it is about time. Also, my remote control has also given up the ghost. Anyone else have these two problems?
  • Options
    I never got 70,000 out of a clutch, but then I'm a particularly crude individual. I'll be glad if mine goes 40,000 miles.

There's probably a battery in the remote; maybe it's replaceable. I got 2 remotes with my car; hows the spare?
  • Options
    I pulled up to a light yesterday and in the lane next to me were two pimple-faced teenage boys in a Tiburon. Light changed to green, and they pulled off and so did I. Gear change to second, nose to nose, gear change to third, they were left eating my dust :)

Poor little boys. They shouldn't mess around with a coolchick mama in a hot kitty ;-)
  • Options
    I've noticed out of the corner of my eye teenagers (boys), at lights trying to get my attention to drag...I ignored them because I can't afford a ticket right now. Heck, I'm still trying to transfer my plates and pay the sales tax. I went to do it last week, but the woman behind the counter told me I needed the original bill of sale (the one that's notarized)...well I gave that to the woman that bought it for her son. I talked to her Monday but she hasn't called me back to make the exchange so that the taxes can be paid. The temporary tag expires on the 7th...yup that's today. I need that for credit on the amount sold which will make the taxes around $600. I told her that I would bring the original back to her home that day on the last message I had left on the answering machine.

Why do some people make things so darn difficult? I'll keep you posted on the irritating developments.

Deb
  • Options
    Just an FYI -- the DAY BEFORE I SOLD MY '99 Mercury Cougar V-6 to a teenager, the main remote died. I replaced the battery and still didn't get anything from it. If what happened on mine happened with yours, you'll have to get the dealership to completely reprogram the keyless entry system for the car. They might even charge you $50 for it. More if they think they have to "replace" the remote.

I just gave the keys/car to the kid when I sold it and asked his dad if only ONE key fob would do. He smiled and said, "Hey...as long as the kid can drive the car, I'm fine with it."

burnsmr4
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about you mishap, but, there is no logical reason for jumping out of perfectly good aircraft. They put wheels on the bottom of those things for a reason.

Of course, as a Marine, we feel just fine getting off of big, comfortable (sorta), ships and go surfing around in little tin boats while other people want to put holes in them. Gotta be nuts either way.

Now, how are you driving with one leg and a stick shift? Cast below the knee? My break was the right, close to the ankle, and the cast covered my foot. Tried with the car in front of the house, but couldn't feel the gas or brake pedals at all. So, gave up on the idea untill the cast was off and only had to contend with a lateral brace.

To return to jumping for a moment. Did you hear about the chute sabotage at Camp Lejune. Three Marines had to use thier reserve chutes during a jump, and inspections afterward found 10 more waiting to be issued with the shrouds cut in such a manner that normal inspection wouldn't find the problem. If they find the guy that pulled that stunt, he should be made to jump with one of his special packs, just to see what the sudden stop would feel like.

Skip G.
  • Options
    jjmorrisjjmorris Member Posts: 13
    Well, my 2000 now has 35,000 miles on it and I have had not one single problem. Oil changes and tire rotations, that's it.

One thing I will need soon is tires. Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • Options
    I finally got my plates transferred to the Cougar. Man, if you all ever sell a car and save the bill of sale make sure that you get it notarized with the stamp so that the stamp can be read easily on the copy. I went to the license bureau today and showed the lady behind the counter my paperwork. She looked at the copy of the bill of sale and she said that I needed the original copy with the embossed notary seal. I went to my bank and had it notarized a second time at no charge and called asking for the supervisor at the license office. The supervisor's reply after I told her what the woman at the counter said was, "I don't know where she got that from, what you have is fine." So I came back and finished the paperwork. While I was waiting I overheard the supervisor asking the woman that worked at the passport photos if she had told me that I needed the embossed seal. She told her no and the supervisor made sure she understood what to do in this situation.

After all of that I called the woman that I sold the firebird to that I no longer needed the original document. She said if she were me, she'd be really ticked. I told her that I had classes for the next two nights I didn't have time to be ticked off at someone that didn't know how to do their job.

Well, it's been a month now. My new baby has 800-900 miles on it and has gotten pretty close to the city/hwy mileage estimates. We'll see if things improve.

You all have a great day.

smedcougar

Deb
  • Options
    dgeminidgemini Member Posts: 161
    Gustafc,

Yes, as a matter of fact I did hear about those Marines' with the sabotaged chutes...scary.

There should be a special place in hell for that guy who sabotaged those chutes. I am surprised they even pulled their reserves, if my main ever fails I hope I don't panic and manage to pull mine.

Burnsmr4,

I probably need to go to the dealer, however I am so broke from loaning/giving money to family I have not had money to even pay the deductible on my car to get my car's body fixed, not to mention having an extra 50 bucks to get my remote fixed.
  • Options
    I personaly believe that enlightened self intrest would dictate that you'd grab for that 'D' ring in a hurry. Just hope that you're not doing a HALO jump.

All:

Put a new set of shoes on my cat after 35Kmi. What a difference!!!! I had one bad tire that had grown a bubble in the tread area. While it was on the front, caused a whopping shimmy/vibration in the steering at certain speeds. Moved it to the rear and it was useable, but generated a thrumming sound. Also, as the tires near thier tread life, it seems that the steering gets heavier due to the lack of tread flex. This set should last me until it's trade-in time (Approx 4yr). I just hope that somebody will be building a car that I'd want to drive at a price that I'll be ablel to afford.

I really don't have any sense of brand loyalty, just who's selling the car I want. Wouldn't have even thought of entering a Mercury store without the Cougar to tempt me, and if they don't have anything comparable in the future, won't return.

But, they also sell Mazdas, and a WRX type of vehicle just might suck me in. (Especially if they generate a coupe version.)

Skip G.
  • Options
    The thing a new car owner always dreads happened...I had a whoooooops. Ironically, it was on my way to make my first car payment at the credit union. I paid the installment and as I was leaving the drive up it happened...SMACK!!! The driver's side mirror clipped the guard pole that protects the air tube delivery mechanism to the bank. It cracked the black portion of the mirror assembly (luckily the color-keyed top-side wasn't damaged or it could have cost more to fix). I called the insurance agent and she reminded me that my deductable was $250 so it would have to come out of my pocket. I went down to the dealer I bought it from and thank goodness they had the part in stock and it would take an hour or less to install. The final cost...$175. Ouch, but that was actually less than I had guessed. That was the first time that I had ever had that to happen within two months of purchase. Oh well, lets hope that's the last incident...I don't want to have to shell that out when I've started making payments on my debt consolidation loan. :)

Have a great week and a safe weekend.

smedcougar
  • Options
    Just saw one at lunchtime today. The only problem being that it's called the Honda Accord Coupe!!!!

Almost identical shillouette (sp?), triangular tail lights, window outlines almost identical, same size, etc...

Went to the Honda website for a little research and found that the I4 has 160hp while the 3L V6 has 240hp. No stick for the V6 till 2/03 and then it's a 6sp on the top line model only (Max $).

But, it's what the Cougar could have and should have been :-(

Oh well, maybe in 3-4 years.

Skip G.
  • Options
    My Cougar, at 30,000 miles, has about shredded its second set of BF Goodriches (40 years ago, this would have been understandable, but I'm old now and don't screech around every corner). I'd like to know if there's anything around that could go more than 15,000 miles.

Going strictly by tire size (215/50 VR16) there's only the T/A's and some Firestones that have been roundly condemned in this board.

Now, there's lots of choices in 225/50, but what fits? Things look pretty tight in the cat's wheel wells.
  • Options
    Hey! I know some of you have tires on your cars. Badulah was running Dunlop 5000's. You out there, Bad? Am I all alone here in the desert? With no water? Arrggh!
  • Options
    Second set of tires in 30Kmi?

I just put my first set of new tires on at 35Kmi, and we seem to be in the same age bracket, so I don't know what would cause you to eat them up that fast (and I do drive somewhat enthusiastically).

Having said that, you could check Tirerack on the web, or visit someplace like Just Tires to see what they can get and what the wear ratings would be. Higher rating, longer life, but, usually less traction and handling capability. It's a trade-off.

Good luck!!!

Skip G.
  • Options
    jpnmjpnm Member Posts: 22
    So, here is the situation. I have a 99 MTX Cougar (love it). However, I commute about 3 hours a day in heavy traffic, have tendinitis, and the shifting is killing me. As a result, I have been looking at new cars. Yesterday, I was at the Mercury dealer, having my winter rim/tires put on, and I saw a 2001 ATX Cougar with 9,000 miles that they had just brought in as part of a load of used cars. So, I was thinking of buying it.

Here's the rub, though. Car is a lemon-law buyback, because it has had a persistently high idle that the dealer (not mine) couldn't correct. Sales guy claims that it was a weird computer problem that took Ford too long to figure out, but car is now fine.

2 Questions:

1. Has anybody heard of similar problems with other cougars?
    2. Should I have my head examined for even considering this car?
  • Options
    Dude -- don't even bother with a lemon-law buyback, particularly with an FMC product. Jeez. You're askin' for it. Bad.

burnsmr4
  • Options
    Hmmmm?

You could just start the car and check the idle speed. If it's OK, see if the dealer wil give you a statement that if the problem shows up, they'll take the car back and void the deal.

A problem like that should have been easily fixed, so see if the service history can be found and the final correction explained. A high idle wouldn't be a safety or reliability defect, and once cured, the car should be a good value.

Also, the fact that it's a buyback should give you a good club on the price ;-)

Skip G.
  • Options
    jpnmjpnm Member Posts: 22
    Well, it doesn't look like I will have to make a decision. The car salesman hasn't contacted me, even though I told him too. However, they have put the car out for sale on the lot and the web. I think they would rather sell it to someone who isn't aware of the problem (I should have said I only knew about the problem, because the auction sticker was still on the car).
  • Options
    harbachjharbachj Member Posts: 51
    Imigliore, I am surprised by the short life you are getting out of your T/As. I am running my orginal set of BFG VR4s with 45,000 miles on the car (I did run winter tires last year, so actual tire mileage is more like 40K). They look like they will go another 10,000 at least! You are right about the limited choices for 215/50-16s, but a 225/50-16 is only slightly larger and will fit fine. If you never have snow where you live, go for a permormance summer tire. If you get occasional light snow, consider a performance all-season. If driving in snow is a factor, consider two sets - summer and winter. I bought Dunlop Winter Sport M2s mounted on steel wheels for my winter drives to Vermont and have been pleased with them. When my VR4s wear out, I'll get performance summer tires for the nice weather. Tire Rack is good place to go for info.

Jim
  • Options
    Thanks, Harbachi. I'll look for something in a 225 performance tire. It never snows here (San Francisco Bay Area); every so often it rains and everyone goes crazy, calls it a "storm" and drives off the road into the ditch.
  • Options
    I just read in Autoweek that some L/M dealers in Ca are offering a buy one get one offer. Buy a Lincoln Blackwood at full price and get a '02 Cougar for free. Interesting.....
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    fish8:

Those California dealers are dumping two discontinued models. The Blackwood was a total marketing failure and, as we all are well aware, Ford killed the New Edge Cougar by refusing to advertise it.
  • Options
    Hey, fish8! Good to see/hear from you again. That's funny as hell that they're doing a buy one get one free deal. Makes you wonder about Lincoln, Mercury, and FMC in general... :-\

Later,
    burnsmr4
  • Options
    Hey there fellow Cat owners!

Just got done taking my last final of the semester. Boy, never thought it would come! My Cougar's doing great and still catch a whif of that new car smell...just makes my day! I haven't really had to contend with much snow yet, just a inch or two but I know that my little kitty will do just fine. If I don't get to chat with you all before Christmas, have a happy and safe holiday. And be careful if you're driving anywhere for the holidays.

smedcougar
    aka Deb
  • Options
    I am still lurking around. Mostly hanging out in the Jetta forum.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Has anyone here experienced a loud humming/moaning sound from an intake air control solenoid valve on their V-6?