Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew - Cleaning Interior & Exterior Surfaces

Comments

• Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    both vehicles in our fleet, even removed the hood deflectors and washed them.

-Brian
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    Is spotless right now, but snow is expected overnight, as well as for Friday and Saturday, s o there goes a clean car.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Mine's clean for the moment (only because I *just* washed it), but let's wait & see what the weather gods have up their sleeve. If it stays clean thru the weekend, bonus! Going skiing on Monday, so it'll be trashed after that trip up to Lookout Pass & back.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    amsbearamsbear Member Posts: 147
    ... and took the Lizard to the car wash this past weekend. I'm already seeing an improvement in gas mileage. My unusually poor MPG (22-ish) is probably a combination of the extra weight and air drag from the exterior dirt and the dirty filter not letting 'er breathe enough. MPG jumped back to 24-ish again.

TLC += Performance;

Alan
    98 OBW Ltd
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Have not waxed my rims in more than 6 weeks, I'm so ashamed! ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    This is the day we've been training for!!! Now get out there!!!

(And who the hell talked me into a black car, dammit!? Frank!? It's all swirly already!! Gaaaah!) :-))
  • Options
    To warn you Loosh, a black car looks great when it's clean but it stays clean for all of 10 seconds:-)

All cars get swirls they are impossible to avoid, dark colours show them more and black is the worst.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    when I had my '98 OB [Spruce Green Pearl], I put polish on in a back and forth horizontal motion. Kept that direction through its life and, no swirls.

-Dave
  • Options
    OMG the car looks friggin AWESOME, swirl marks and all.

I know JVB has its detractors, but it is unique!
  • Options
    did the dealer do a clean & prep on it at delivery time? could that be the source of the swirls?

IIRC, 3M has a decent swirl remover. Haven't tried it though, even though my Winestone paint has a few areas that could use a little of it.

Pics in my profile were shortly after getting AIO'd last year. I used Zymol Spray detailer after washing as well.

-Brian
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Loosh,

Did you go the extra step and use the high gloss sealant from Klasse? It adds a bit more shine but what it really does is make for an even more durable finish.

If the swirl marks do bother you, you can wax OVER Klasse, just not under it.

Ken
  • Options
    no fair, you didn't mention sealant before! ;)

I'm pooped. Used griot's machine polish #3 one more time along the path of the pinstriping after giving it a good wash. Then I decided for the first-time Klasse treatment to do it by hand. Easy to do, but still it's a lot of sheetmetal. Then I did the windows, the interior, and the rocker panels. Then the mats and then a vacuum.
  • Options
    Loosh that will keep your OCD membership up to date.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Loosh:

This stuff: http://www.premiumautocare.com/klasseglaze.html

Klasse AIO = acrylic sealant + cleaning products.
    Klasse High Gloss sealant = acrylic sealant ONLY

Also, I use this stuff in between waxes:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-200.html

Happy OCDing!

Ken
  • Options
    The coat of polish she had on held up - water beading. She looked mirror glossy and radiant :D so I pass the polishing works till Spring.

-Dave
  • Options
    toboggantoboggan Member Posts: 283
    Was going to wash the Subie today. But they were saying rain, then rain & snow. But there is rain to the north, south, east & west. Snow further west. Hate to wash and get the car clean then have the sky puke on it again. Guess I'll just play on the computer for a while. But we did walk down to the mail box and grocery store on the corner. Getting that vitamin D while we can. 50 degrees and a weak sun..... wonderful spring.

MNSteve
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Does running it thru a touchless automatic count as a washing? I'll never make it into the OCD club doing just that, which I did Saturday, but it's hard to justify much more at this time of year. The wife and I are house-hunting (time to leave apartment life) and a private place to wash my OBS is a selling point. Wife thinks I'm nuts, but that's only because she won't keep her car clean. I'm married to a slob! <g>

-Dan-
  • Options
    mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I am just on my last step of my semi-annual application of Klasse to my WRX and wife's Outback: washed both, clayed both, applied coat of AIO and one coat of Sealant glaze to each. I have another 10 minutes to wait before wiping out the last application. Cars look great and smooth as butter. I really like this stuff.

I timed the AIO application on the Outback. 24 minutes from start to finish; the trick to speed is to use no more than an ounce per car.

Mike
  • Options
    Yes, use it sparingly otherwise it gets hard to buff the extra off. I also wet my microfiber applicator with water before applying AIO. Works better.

Ken
  • Options
    it does not take much AIO at all to do the entire vehicle. more <> better. It was very surprising the first time, but it indeed does work with very little product on the applicator. As Ken stated, it does work better when the applicator is wet, not soaking, but wrung out.

When done, don't machine wash the applicator and buffing towels. Hand wash in some dish detergent and hang dry.

-Brian
  • Options
    Love that weather. Near 60 today.

I'd washed them last weekend so we caught up on the interiors this week. The whole fleet looks good now.

-juice
  • Options
    Can tell spring is just around the corner, the traffic is starting to pick up in this thread:-)IN the high fifties today here.
      Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    car wash. Looks nice and clean, but picked up more scratches on the shoulders where the rotating pads run down off of the hood and windows.

Steve
  • Options
    Get a pressure washer. You can do a wash as good as that without ever touching the vehicle.

I rinse first, that alone get 80% of the dirt off. Then I use the detergent attachment to dispense a soapy film all over. Then I use a wool mitt to wipe it down, then rinse again.

You could skip the wool mitt part and it would still get 90% of the dirt, like when it's really cold (but not quite freezing).

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    for quick washes I use a good old bucket with car wash and I have a brush on a long handle made for washing cars (soft). Rinse, brush, rinse, california squeegy (sp?). This is my winter routine. Summer gets a hand wash and dry (given time). BTW - Turtle Wax applied during the fall is holding up very well on both cars.

Greg
  • Options
    I should get something like that, maybe with a long handle and a wool covered end? My hands get cold! :o)

-juice
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    It really gets the job done very quickly, before you freeze. If you know you can do a "quicky" your apt to wash it more and your significant other doesn't complain as much. :)

Greg
  • Options
    My wife works for an analyst that covers P&G. One of the benefits of work is that they get new product samples to try out for themselves. The other day, my wife received a Mr. Clean Auto Dry starter kit from P&G. Her manager knew about my car-washing affliction so he thought I&#146;d be the best person to test it out.

The Mr. Clean Auto Dry is supposed to make car washing simple by providing a unique all-in-one washing device that when used properly, does not require hand drying. The starter kit came in a nicely design box that housed the washing device, a special Mr. Clean Carwash liquid and a filter cartridge made by PUR that goes into the device. The product claims to leave no water-spots from air-drying if one follows the directions using the special carwash liquid and rinses with the filtered water.

Yesterday evening I finally had some time to put this system to the test on my Forester. Since my Forester is black, it would be a very good test to see if the system truly holds up to it&#146;s claims. The first thing I did was fill the device with the carwash liquid and then load the PUR filter. Next, I screwed the device on to the end of my garden hose using the built in thread.

First, the pre-wash rinse: I set the oversized dial on the device to the rinse symbol flick the switch by my thumb and a nice stream of water comes out the end. The stream is somewhere between the &#147;Gentle Shower&#148; and &#147;Soaker&#148; settings typically found on adjustable garden hoses. Not too narrow and intense, not too broad. The device is light but a little bulky &#150; about the size of a large iron &#150; and was a bit awkward when trying to rinse in the wheel wells. It would have been nice if the garden hose coupling was allowed to rotate freely. People with smaller hands would also find it a little difficult to use. The switch that turns water on and off does make it easier than gripping a typical garden hose trigger.

Next, the wash: I set the dial to soap, flick the switch and out comes a spattering of the carwash liquid in a fan pattern. The device mixes in water so the soap is already pre-diluted. I start with the roof and work my way down using my usual washing mitt. The Auto Dry instructions don&#146;t point it out, but I had a separate bucket on the side to swish my mitt between panels. The soap used in the kit is designed to help water sheet &#150; it certainly does not lather up like traditional carwashes. Instead, it foams up a little bit and has a strange, clumpy look to it. If my car were very dirty, I wouldn&#146;t feel very good about using this carwash formula. However, the instructions warn the customer to not use any other formula to prevent clogging the device. While I don&#146;t see how that could happen, I&#146;m sure the carwash has stuff in it that helps to sheet water. With my standard hose and carwash, I typically just drop the hose to the ground while I&#146;m working on a section. Unfortunately, the device being largely hollow and plastic does not seem like it would fare well so I need to keep placing it on the ground.

Next the rinse: After working down the vehicle, switching mitts for my wheels and tires, I&#146;m ready to rinse. Since it was cool and in the shade, I did not rinse after each panel. I turn the dial back to rinse and hose down the car from top to bottom. Again, I&#146;m wishing that the device had a free-rotating hose adapter to allow for a greater range of motion. As the suds move away, I can already see the sheeting action taking place. The water pulls away in a thin film over the paint.

Finally the filtered-water rinse: With all the soap off the car, I set the dial to the third position: filtered water. After a few seconds of the filter priming, a very fine flat spray comes out the end of the device. Again, I move from top to bottom making sure that I cover the car with the filtered water. The water continues to sheet off with very few drops left behind. It looks promising.

And that&#146;s it. According to the instructions, I do not need to hand dry. I fight all my urges to grab my California Car Blade and just let my Forester air-dry in the garage overnight. The total time to wash my car was about the same as if I had gone the traditional route. Was it any easier? Hard to tell given that I was still learning to use a new system.

The verdict: This morning, I turn on the lights to my garage and so far, so good. I can&#146;t see any water drops. I back out into the sunlight and lo and behold &#150; no water spots as advertised. It worked as claimed!

My impressions: The product worked for me, however the water in our area is relatively soft. Folks with hard water probably will not find it as effective (or will need to replace the filters more often). I&#146;ll need to try it a few more times, but I think it&#146;s a good alternative to regular washing for those &#147;quickie&#148; washes when one&#146;s vehicle is not very dirty. A few things that could improve the product would be 1) allowing the hose attachment collar to rotate 2) reduce the size of the device &#150; no self-respecting OCD car washer would go between panels without rinsing their wash mitt. I&#146;d forgo the convenience of the built in soap-dispenser to have a usual bucket with carwash solution. And 3) add some quick-disconnect couplings so I don&#146;t have to keep unscrewing my garden hose attachment every time I want to wash my car. Final comment on cost &#150; P&G estimates that the per-wash cost over the life of the product is $1. I&#146;ve heard that local stores sell the kits for $20. For that price, I might be enticed to have a kit around for the times when I just want to do a quick wash.

Ken
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Thanks for the review, I've been wondering about that system every time I see it on TV!

Craig
  • Options
    Excellent write up,but I think I will stick to the traditional way, I get more satisfaction the old way in any case. It just would not feel properly washed If I did not dry it off.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    a coupon for $5 off if you go to the P&G site and fill out a form. It's under $20 at Walmart, fwiw.

-Brian
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Excellent write-up but then that's to be expected from a charter member of the OCD club!

-Frank P.
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    So is the soap wax-friendly? I can't believe how much longer my wax jobs last since I started using wax-friendly soaps. I hope the Mr. Clean soap is!

Craig
  • Options
    jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Oh, I'm sure it will be wax friendly...provided you only use P&G brand wax. (Do they make auto wax???)

Jim
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    But I usually have to wax it right after washing, or I simply don't get it done. So I guess it is the California blade and chamis for me....

Steve
  • Options
    maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    is wax friendly, universaly. I use Mother's since day one.

Question for those who use Klasse, do I have to remove the Mother's stuff already on the car when I switch over to Klasse or can Klasse go right over it? just want to figure out what kind of car wash liquid I should use when I switch.

Thanks y'all!

Mike
  • Options
    Sounds good, Ken. For a busy body with kids, especially.

I wonder if they'll just come out with a seperate car wash concentrate since I already use my pressure washer to dispense the soap.

-juice
  • Options
    When I switched from carnuba to Klasse, I stripped the old wax with a simple Dawn washing. No extra work and guaranteed to remove any old wax.
  • Options
    it will probably be around July before I switch. I suspect I should take the old stuff off, but for some reason I just couldn't get my brain to come to that conclusion.

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

When I switched to Klasse, I just used an off-the-shelf paint cleaner (Meguiar's Step 1). Klasse All-in-one has a cleaning agent in it so it alone will remove old wax so no need to worry about getting it all off.

A good claying is probably the best thing you can do.

Ken
  • Options
    oh yeah, I clay before waxing everytime. I didn't know Klasse all-in-one will remove the old wax, but I think I'll use tyguy's idea of Dawn detergent to wash first, then I'll use my Mr. Clean thing-of-ama-giggyand then clay and finish off with the Klasse and Pinnacle kit.

Mike
  • Options
    Titan got a hand wash and wax today I am sure you could have heard the sigh of contentment for a 1000 mile radius:-)

Some Pics.

Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Tint makes the D-pillar really disappear. Looks nice.

-juice
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    a clean car is a happy car. Nice pic's. Rob M.
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
  • Options
    and nobody washed their cars?...

OCD Club is in trouble ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I hand washed the GT and Outback on Saturday. This was the first weekend in over a month that I was not stuck at work, or it did not snow or rain. My car stayed clean on Monday. It has rained on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday ...
  • Options
    hammerheadhammerhead Member Posts: 907
    Pouring rain here today - not much point.
    Went skiing twice last week & had to drive thru a couple mudholes to get to the parking lot, so not much point then, either.
    2 weeks vacation coming up - spring wax time, if the weather cooperates.

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    It only stopped raining here today. Guess I'm due!

-juice
  • Options
    I have washed Titan at least twice in the last two weeks, including a real good handwash today

Cheers Pat.