Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Dakota - General Topic

Comments

• andy_jordanandy_jordan Member Posts: 764
    It doesn't work!!

At least not on Canadian vehicles - it just comes up so damn fast in 2nd gear!! Beat the *** in the souped up Civic though!!
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    For those of you that are interested in finding out more of Grand Lake and what it has to offer. Check out www.virtualgrandlake.com and www.grandlake.com. There are many tourist attractions in the area like Darryl Starbird's Museum, the country music shows, The Cherokee Queen tour paddlewheel boats, Har-ber Village. Har-ber Village is one of the largest antique museums in the nation. It has over 100 reconstructed turn of the century rustic homes. Lodging ranges from Shangri-La, a 5-star resort with 36 holes of championship golf, to numerous camping facilities. Anyone with questions about the area can check out the web addresses or ask me on this forum.
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Branson, Missouri is what, about an hour or so east of Ketchum, Okla. (the lake resort area of the meet)? Convenient to anyone traveling from the east or n/e US I suppose. Nice spot to visit.

Timing: probably since steve mentioned June, the mid to latter part would be ideal. Say, pick the 23rd (a weekend) of June and go one week forward and one back. Earlier (16th) would be slightly cooler and benefit the yankees ;-), and the later week or the 30th, but still the weekend before the 4th of July, would miss most of tornado season (benefit the SW folks who drive through Okla. and / or Kansas and / or parts of Texas).

The Drive - in approx. 'weird Jack miles' would be
    Grand Lakes area miles hrs

Midland, TX " " " 675 10
    Houston, TX " " " 621 9
    Denver, Colo. " " " 767 11
    St. Paul, Minn. " " " 651 9
    Erie, Pennsylvania " " " 994 14
    Montgomery, Alabama " " " 750 11

Just a sampling, and figuring the mapping program I used for the distances doesn't usually pick the best routes - might shave an hour or more off each. But people have to eat and, uhh, stuff, so add it back on plus any sleep-on-the-ways -- can drive any Dakota for 12-14 I'm sure; I've driven 12 hours straight and been ready for more, easy -- and you can get a rough estimate from where you might be. Except for Houston - those guys should add a DAY to any trip they take. And that's just for the around town stuff!

Expense:
    Consider two tanks of fuel each way from the above cities. That's $200 roundtrip unless certain politicians get restrictions put on us 'big oil' companies; then just ADD 25% to that! lol Anyway, if driving straight thru, you might get by for an Arby's 'hurler' or blue plate special X two each way, that adds $15 per stop if two adults eat, and about $10 per kid (mine) on top of that. Plus, figure about $100 per night at the local 'non-vacancy' sign ($75 if not lit). Add in some antiques, a couple of beers (kegs) and some real live entertainment (a_j knows some REAL LIVE types). So, Jack's math gets to about $5-600 for his stripped trip. But maybe a_j's 'Stripper' trip might run say, $5k (with bail). But he gets a roomy named 'Max.' ;-)~

Take into consideration we are looking at a couple of more 'spots' to go to. One might be up north and the other out west. (The TX folks might also get together this fall, there seems to be a whole passle of us). Could be a lively summer. I'm game, R U?
  • ohc_babyohc_baby Member Posts: 116
    Yes, the 4.7 is limited in both speed and revs. I've seen them both already. Atlanta has a great highway called GA 400 that is straight and sleepy at night. She hit an indicated 115 mph at 4500 revs in 4th when the limiter hit. When the fuel cuts, it hits you pretty hard, almost like you're on the brakes. My '01 Quad is governed at EXACTLY 6000 revs and 115 mpg, as indicated on the dash. Good thing they're not Firestones, though they're not speed-rated anyway.
  • bookittybookitty Member Posts: 1,303
    Wow!, 115 mpg at those speeds is truly great. I get about 20 mpg @ 60 mph. Make me one just like it.

Bookitty
    No, it's governed at 115 mpg, you know, downhill in neutral... no, that's 99... I must have meant mph.
  • nortx01qcnortx01qc Member Posts: 37
    Can't get anything past that 'Amber Fox' can we?
    Yesterday (10/04/00) I drove from my home in Langhorne, PA on the PA turnpike (exit 28) to my aunt's home in Flourtown, PA (exit 26) and then we went back onto the turnpike to I-476 (Blue Route) south to I-95 and took I-95 to Bel Air, MD to visit my niece. Traffic was light, except for the "Left Lane Louie's" that inhabit the left lane and go 58 in the 65 zone. Actually, these are people who are training to drive "pace" cars. Despite that, the road to my niece's farm is twisty and hilly (2nd and 3rd). We drove around the area, and on the return trip encountered heavy stop and go traffic due to the supper rush and an accident. Miles per gallon read 18.2 on the computer readout, and my calculated mileage conferred. I am pleased with that. Cruise was employed for the most part on the limited access portions.

Bookitty
  • iowabigguyiowabigguy Member Posts: 552
    Was told remaining 2000 Quad cabs are now getting a $2,000 rebate. Rick
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    I haven't seen anything current after 10/02,except for the farm bureau discount (which i think is good to 7/31/01). However, in my research of the FB discounts, I found that the Oklahoma FB offered a $500 discount on Ford trucks, at least in the recent past. I always wondered why the Dodge discount didn't seem to apply there.
  • steve234steve234 Member Posts: 460
    Just got back from Galveston. Average over the 1500+ miles 16.4. Found a W-M in Huntsville with $1,339 gas and at least four Quads in the parking lot. (2-green, 1-black and 1-f.red) five includig mine. We considered staying in a motel around Vinita and found the rates to range from $25-40 for moderate non-smoking rooms, 2 adults, queen beds. The $40 was for a new Super 8 at Big Cabin. Expect a little higher in season rates, but not bad.
  • steel45steel45 Member Posts: 21
    01, QC, V-6, 5 Speed.
    Just traveled from western NJ to Providence Rhode Island area, 20 mpg.
    Approx. 1000 miles on vehicle.
    Not bad?
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Hi all,

Well, after a couple of years of viewing the townhall, I think that the Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 will fit my needs the best.

Can anyone recommend a dealer in the eastern- central New Jersey area?
    Bob, when you say Eastern, NJ are you referring to
    Mercer, Monmouth or Middlesex County? I bought my Quad at Reedman in Langhorne, PA. The initial experience with the salesman, was horrible but the truck manager was great as was my deal. Are you aware of the Farm Bureau discount amounting to
    $500.00? If you are not aware, please click on this link (in blue) www.fb.com for information. One must be a member for 30 days prior to accepting delivery. The cost of a membership is $75.00 in PA and I think that NJ is that or less. If Langhorne, PA is convenient, please Email me, the address is on my profile and I will provide a name and number for you. I tried several dealers in South Jersey (I have a home on LBI) and the interest level ranged from "ho-hum to duh!" I felt initially that I would receive better more personal attention from a smaller dealer, but I finally purchased from Reedman where this manager really treated me well and provided the service I needed. For me, that worked out very well as they are quite close to my home. Good luck, let me know if you need any other information or guidance.

Bookitty
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I knew bookitty would help!

I live in the town of Edison.
    Middlesex county NJ.

Langhorn is a bit of a ride for me.
    I would like to deal with someone a little closer "if possible".

So this would be Middlesex, Union, Somerset county area.

Did you send faxes or emails to different dealers in order to find one who would deal close to invoice? Autobytel?

Thanks for any input.
    Bobby, actually I visited them because I was on the road. What I did, was to produce from the Internet, an "invoice" at dealer cost so that I would have a platform upon which to launch my quest. I also tried Internet deals, but got the same B/S as from the dealerships. It's easier with an ordered vehicle, because you have a grip on the options, etc. as opposed to working numbers against an inventoried piece that may have more or fewer options than you desire, and the negotiating becomes much more confusing. I sent a response to your Email, that explains some of what I did.

Bookitty
  • slclark3slclark3 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone installed a JET performance module on their 4.7 dakota. Sales rep said a 16-18 rear wheel hp would be gained. Factory warranty would no be voided. I need to know if it is worth the 289.00
  • awielgoszawielgosz Member Posts: 6
    Trying to find "shelly" he had a picture of his black Quad on the "madcanuck"s" web page.
    Liked the running boards on his truck and wondered where he had found them.
    Thanks for any help.
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    A while ago, someone posted that the dealer reprogrammed their engine computer to improve the gas mileage. By now the results of at least two tank fills must be known.

Please update, we all could use and extra 2 mpg.
    Reprogramming the 4.7 is both a good and bad thing. They're usually reprogrammed as a result of pinging. When the engine pings, the computer retards the timing, then tries to advance it back, searching for a happy medium, costing gas mileage. When the dealer flashes the ECM, the primary change is a 4 degree retard on the timing, which loses 10 to 20 hp, but eliminates the pinging. I'd install a 180 degree t-stat and colder plugs (in fact I have) to resolve any pinging before I'd allow a dealer to retard my timing.
    As far as the JET chip goes, I've seen nothing but disappointed owners with the JET. 10 to 20 people on the Dakota Mailing List (www.dakota-truck.net) have tried it and none have gotten near the recommended gains.
  • hanahouhanahou Member Posts: 5
    I've had my silver 2001 QC, 4x4, 5spd, lsd, line-x, all windows tinted, fully loaded except anti lock brakes and leather buckets,for alittle over 2 months. It has 3500 miles on it and been averaging 21.4 miles a gallon. And not a single thing wrong. This truck is great
  • zonkzonk Member Posts: 208
    That MPG is great! Do you have the 4.7L engine? Did the all windows tinting cost you extra? Thanks
  • awielgoszawielgosz Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I'm looking for the web site for that farm discount. Thanks.
    Oh yea, also a 4.7 liter engine. Soon to install a K & N air filter and mud flaps.
  • spike50spike50 Member Posts: 481
    Have a 4.7L, 4x4, 5sp, 3.55 / LSD rear, 31x10.5-15 W/T, AW-ABS, and I've never gotten anything more than in the 17+ range. BTW - I have mudflaps maybe that's what's killing my mileage.

For these 21 mpg's, are you using hi-test gas or regular? I don't think that there would be a thing to complain about if I was getting 21 mpg except for a little torsion bar chatter.
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Is you mileage from the computer or did you calculate it?
  • sorcerersorcerer Member Posts: 28
    American Farm Bureau

www.fb.com

Then go to 'State Fb's'
    then go to your state
    Then look under Member Benefits.
  • bsparxbsparx Member Posts: 84
    I have a nice patriot blue QC 4x4, a nice little house, on a nice street, but a next-door neighbor I hate. Junky van, oil slick, run down house, lots of visitors, lots of yelling...so yesterday the guy comes home in a brand-new Amber Fire CC. How can I stay mad at him now whan he's made such a wise vehicle choice? I even wanted the Amber Fire, but my wife vetoed it. Now we both get to see it every day...

Ben
    This public service message has been brought to you by your friendly Dodge dealer. Dodge - Different

And bringing communities together, one Quad at a time.....
  • themacguythemacguy Member Posts: 417
    Did you buy a black Quad? It seems like you alluded to that over in the pixies.
  • dmoulddmould Member Posts: 76
    Just wanted to know what people are getting. Just test drove 1999 4x4 5speed RC, are you people get decent mileage with yours?
    thanks.
    Also, what is a good price on this? Dealer currently wants 25K Canadian; a new equivalent is about $31K Can. The truck has been there many months, however, I don't know if they will take another 2-3K off.
    Here's alittle more about my '01 Quad.
    Just had it's first oil change at 3750, dealer recommended. I only use Chevron or Texaco 87 oct. And also the computer average now is 20.8 mpg. Which is mostly 60 to 70 mph freeway driving. This truck still is great.
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    did u ask why the dealer recommends chevron or texaco. i think he/she is pulling your leg.for the most part gas is gas with the exception some unknow brands i would shop by price now since the price so high.
    I never said the dealer recommended Chev. or Tex. gas. The dealer recomm. the first oil chng at 3750. Not the gas you i____t. And yea, brands of gas do make a difference.
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    I installed a JET (stage one) on my 2000 QC 3.9. It was $200 (on sale) and made a nice difference. I wouldn't think it would be cost effective on the 4.7, though. That platform seems to be pretty well "tweaked" right out of the box.

I've been away from the forum for a few weeks, and am trying to get caught up. I did want to mention, however, that I made my first camping voyage with the QC. I was a little "curious" to see how the 3.9 would tow while loaded and pulling the tent trailer. I was honestly surprised at how well it performed. The trailer was nearly 2000 lbs., and the truck was loaded with firewood and camping accessories, two adults and a four y/o. I purposely loaded it down as much as I ever will. I kept the O/D locked out at maintained 65mph. I only had two occurences where I needed to downshift for power (passing trucks up hills). Mind you, this was through the Poconos in Pa, where there are some pretty big hills. I also averaged about 16 mpg for the whole trip. Not bad, I'd say.

I should point out that I've made three simple modifications: K&N drop in filter, Flowmaster series 70 muffler, Jet stage one. They've perked the truck up nicely.

boo: Amber Fire looks AWESOME with fall foliage in the background! :)
    John,amen! Glad that you had a good time and that your truck performed well.

Bookitty
  • vmanvman Member Posts: 103
    Thanks, boo. I lucked into the weekend of Oct. 13-14th. What a beauty! Some you win......

Now, I know the naysayers will chime in to the effect that the 4.7 would have done the same job...better...with more power and at a comparable mpg, I just ended up with the 3.9 under some unique circumstances. I had a good experience with a '95 Dakota 3.9 and have no regrets with the new QC. There are a good deal of performance parts available for the 3.9, and IMO, it is a good low end (torque) motor. It's just not a speed demon.
  • mailman54mailman54 Member Posts: 111
    That sounds pretty good vman. Sounds like the 3.9 is working out well for you. Wish my 4.7 would get 16 mpg pulling a 2000 lb trailer. It's lucky to do that well empty.

Mailman
  • knkresortknkresort Member Posts: 79
    hanahou,

You must be new to this particular forum. We fellow Dakota owners do not call each other names nor are we impolite to each other. We collectively respect each other and recognize that some people have more knowledge than others in certain areas, but we are all here to learn and have some fun.

Please refrain from calling anyone any names.

Thanks,

KnK
  • lmeyer1lmeyer1 Member Posts: 215
    Well put.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    Agreed... In over a YEAR within the various Dakota forums in edmunds... This is the first time I have witnessed cunduct such as this.

hanahou.. PLEASE keep it civil... we are all here to discuss our Dakota ownership experiences. Not to attack each other. If we wanted that type of language, we can find plenty of it in NON-Dakota forums.

• amend1amend1 Member Posts: 98
    Hee! Hee! Hee! I knew you guys would straighten him out!!! Love my quad and the excellent learning experiences I get from this forum.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    We new it was coming DC told us the 4.7L V8 Hemi was "modular" .... now here it is!

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b100600.htm
    Bruce, I have a sawzall. Do you think that I can make one of these for my wife's Wrangler?

Bookitty
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    My guess is that you could fit a full 4.7 in w/o even breaking out a sawzall. A guy in my car club has a wrangler with a stroked 360 (5.9L) in one with no cutting. Those jeeps seem to be able to gulp in any moter you can think of. Hmm... new project...???
    Harold, maybe I can drop in a 4.7 or 5.9 some night. What a nice surprise when she lets out the clutch.

Bookitty
  • tuvtesttuvtest Member Posts: 237
    I want that on film
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk Member Posts: 26
    This just in from the East Asian Bureau of the QuadWaiters Association....

Kia and Hyundai both have been making "doublecabs" for some time here (the "Bongo" and the "Porter.") Picture, if you will, a snub-nosed 4-door cabover design, with a short bed and dropsides. Single rear axle with very tiny duals. Overall length shorter than the Dakota. 0-to-60 probably in the low twenties. In short, not much threat to Dodge's market share and for one still plan on getting the Dakota. Someday.
  • slickwilliedjslickwilliedj Member Posts: 252
    your name calling in unacceptable at this site right or wrong as i may have misunderstood your comment we're all human! THANKS ALL FOR STICKING UP FOR ME WHILE I WAS AWAY AND OFF THE SIDE LINE CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG(:
    Bill, it's over. A few people have reminded hqanahou that we do not operate in that fashion. I am certain that it was a mistake and will be overlokked in the interest of moving forward to our ultimate goal; Dakota pick up trucks.

Bookitty
This discussion has been closed.