Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

best diesel under 10K

rlgorrlgor Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Volkswagen
I'm am trying to find any diesel, hopefully certified used, under 10K (or it could be a listed a little higher but likely to come down). Preference is a sedan but also looking at pickups, the smaller the better. Reliability is the most important factor. I have a 88 Mercedes 190D which has been a little disaster. I only paid $3300 so I am looking to put more into something that won't have so many problems (like needing a new transmission like this one does). It seems like VWs are the only option but that they have a history of being problematic vehicles so I am sort of lost. Any ideas? Oh yeah, and it has to be an automatic:)

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    VW is about the only reasonable option sold in the last 8 years. Finding a good running VW TDI in any model under $10k will be a trick. They are VERY MUCH in demand. You would have more of a chance at $20k getting a late model with some warranty left on the car. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    xcomandosxcomandos Member Posts: 3
    If I were you I would just buy a used diesel from Europe there is a italian diesel that get 60mpg. Just for your info if it is used you dont really have to worry about it being 50 state certifiied. If it has over 7,500 miles it could be registered in any state. I am unsure if there would be a problem with the right sided steering wheel though.
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I believe it also has to be at least 20 years old. Considered a classic. It used to be easy to import cars from the EU. They tightened it up considerably. I would love to get a little diesel PU from the EU. Not much chance of getting it in here. That 7500 mile rule is for CA on used diesel cars bought in other US states.
This discussion has been closed.