Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Edge

mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
edited May 2014 in Ford
2008 Ford Edge: What’s New
Ford’s strong-selling crossover gets fluffed for 2008. The Ford Edge, entering its second model year in 2008, will get a few high-tech touches to a revamped interior as it returns to take on the likes of the Honda Pilot and the new Toyota Highlander.
The 2008 changes and additions start with a power liftgate, now optional, along with a voice-activated navigation system, 20-inch chromed wheels, Ford's Sync system for controlling entertainment and communication systems, and a new color scheme on the instrument panel and door panels. The Edge also gets a new liftgate handle and an option for a red-trimmed set of front seats.

BY CARSPACE AUTOMOTIVE..

I can't wait to see the new features.

Comments

• johnnyhollistejohnnyholliste Member Posts: 16
    RED trim Seat bottom looks tacky... :sick:
  • mcq1mcq1 Member Posts: 103
    yeah but Sync is probably going to be real cool. So who cares about the seats. Right?
  • antoninbantoninb Member Posts: 49
    I'd rather see HID headlights.
  • vtdragonvtdragon Member Posts: 1
    I would have liked to see a rear back-up camera. Also, red inserts for the seats are OK if you have a red car, but I think they should be color coded to the body color. I would also like to see a cargo cover available.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I think I will gag the next time I hear someone tell me how the EDGE is just TOO big. Its SHORTER THAN A FUSION!!!!!

Edge is 185 inches long
    Fusion is 190 inches long!!!!!
    08 Taurus is 201 inces long!!!

Yes the 08 Taurus is OVER A FOOT LONGER than an Edge.

Mark
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Go to this site and enjoy what sync in the EDGE will be all about...look like it is very cool...

http://blip.tv/file/299867

post your comments please, I am not big on "gadgets"...
    First, if have no intention of using your cell phone or iPod on the road. Then you don't need Sync and you never need to use it.

Second. Here in NJ, a hands free cell system is required. Sync is by far the easiest auto Bluetooth system on the market.

Using your phone with Synch only requires to to pair your phone ONCE. After that initial pairing, Sync will find your phone whenever you start the car. You do nothing! (depending on your phone).

THIRD. No voice recognition training is required!

FORTH. IMHO the best part about Sync is that it "syncs" your phones contact list, up to 2000 contacts.

In contrast, pairing a phone with the Nissan factory system is a pain. PLUS you have to train it to use voice recognition AND you have to program your contacts into the car AND you can only do this for 20 contacts!

If you do use your cell phone in the car, and you are interested in getting a bluetooth system so that you can do this legally, take a look at Sync.

Conclusion, Sync will sell Fords.

Mark.
    Wow so glad you posted this. My husband just test drove the Edge this morning. He really liked it. He wished it had a bit more cargo room but you can fold the seats and get that. I am a computer guru ( programmer ) so I am excited about Sync. The ford edge is on my list since I am going to be replacing my ten year Jeep Laredo in 08' So I plan to wait and see the 08 Edge with Sync.
    It sounds easy to use which I like.
    Awesome. Very useful. Convenient. Is a gadget that I would enjoy having.
    Hands free calling is a life saver.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    I am glad that i was able to post something of use...to most of us of course....yes in NJ the hands free if not observe can cost a lot of money via different fines depending on county and towns within the county..
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    My plan is to order an 08 Edge SL - Loaded but I have one serious concern that leads me to wanting to buy the Murano. Why no vented disc brakes on the Edge? The stopping distances reported are abysmal on the Edge. Seems as though Ford should be wanting to make improvements to keep ahead in this crowded market segment. I live in a very hilly part of the country - always going up and down steep hills, I dont know if I can trust the braking system Ford now installs? I dont want the brakes to become overburned, wear out too fast or squeal excessively. Does anyone have any insight to this.
    This was a pre production change. Some of the mag writers wrote about prototypes that did not have vented rear discs.

The tires appear to be responsible for the long stopping distances.

Mark.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    Actually, the front brakes on my 2007 AWD edge are vented and the rear discs are not....

It is my opinion that the braking issues on the 2007 Edge are related more to the suspension tuning, ABS programming and hard cooper tires...

Most people never think about the suspension in braking, but it can have a huge effect on stopping distances. Sharp nose dive in a vehicle transfers almost all of the weight to the front wheels. This cause the rear brakes have little ability to help stop due to lack of friction and the ABS kicks in to prevent wheel lockup. I have noticed that under sharp braking, the nose of my 2007 Edge dives sharply. I'll bet and hopfully prove in the near future that progressive spring and shocks will solve the braking issue...

I am willing to bet that the 2008 Edge has a little firmer front suspension tuning and better tires...
    Thank you for the information. Why is the 2008 model year rollout taking so long? What are the issues?
  • edgenutedgenut Member Posts: 1
    FWD and AWD have identical rear brakes, with vented drum/hat rotors. It's difficult to see the venting because there is an integrated parking brake back there. Look closer - they're vented!

btw - for most of the stop, the front/rear weight distribution is based only on the CG height and deceleration, not 'nose dive'...
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    No "issues" with the 2008 rollout. 2007 model year started late for the Edge so they ran it a little later. Last build date for the 2007's was mid September. 2008's are just now starting to hit the dealers.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Does anyone know if they are integrated beyond sharing the screen?
    For example, does Sync work with the nav the same as it does with your cell phone and mp3 player? (Can you use Sync voice commands to control the nav to input street addresses while you're driving etc.)?
    How much control over the nav system do you have while the vehicle is in motion?

I have also started a new discussion dedicated to Ford Sync topics:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1683a3/1
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Looked heavily into the current Edge info on the Ford site - looks like the same type of voice commands will be used for the NAV. In fact there is a specific command that tells the NAV you are speaking to it. I must say that the technology really sounds great. As a dedicated IPod user the integration really appears to be 1st rate. Am looking strongly at a Limited for our retirement vehicle which I'll probably purchase next summer.
    I don't see anything official that says Ford Sync does anything at all for the nav system. The nav system may have it's own built-in voice recognition, but it may be much more limited and basic than the type of voice recognition functionality available in Ford Sync. You can tell the stereo: "Play artist: Beyonce." or "Play track: The Pretender" but I don't think you can tell the nav "Go to 67654 North Mountain Bend Boulevard, Scottsdale Arizona" or "Go to the Chicago Target on Main Street.
    All the Sync demos concern cell phones and mp3 players.
    I hope you can enter complete street addresses into the nav system using voice commands, but I don't see that being one of the claims they make and they probably would have demoed that if it could be done.
    This kind of functionality would be very useful. Maybe future versions of the nav and Ford Sync will be more closely integrated.

Anyone here try out the nav voice commands?
  • jimmy2xjimmy2x Member Posts: 124
    Your are probably correct - little was said about voice control of the NAV. From what I have read on other forums (Acura, etc) it almost seems that aside from the basic "find restaurant/hospital, etc." that none of the existing systems are good for voice input of new destinations.

Given the cost of the built-in NAV, I may well decide to go the Garmin/TomTom route anyway.
    The new 2008 Honda Accord factory nav does allow you to enter street addresses entirely via voice, so I thought it might be possible that the Ford nav would do that as well if it was fully integrated with Ford Sync, but it looks like they are not connected to each other at this time.

It would make sense for that to change with the Ford nav systems in the future instead of having two independent voice recognition systems in the vehicle with one being very advanced and one being very basic.
  • kwidrickkwidrick Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

My girlfriend and I test drove a 2007 Edge SE AWD over the weekend. Loved it! However, I was wondering if any current owners could tell me what your mileage has been and how the Edge performs in snowy, slippery road conditions. I live in upstate, NY (Lewis County) and we have lots of snow every winter and AWD is essential. Does the Edge handle well in snow? Thanks for your help.
    At this time, the Nav has voice recogniation and does not require training. You can use the command "destination" then say the name of a POI catagory then select the specific destination from the list.

IF you have a destination saved in your Address book, you can activate a voice tag (no training required). Then you can say "destination" "home" or whatever you named that address entry as. I believe that this is more of a memory limitation. Ford is to introduce next generation unit for 09 maybe one that uses the Sync system.

Sync right now works alongside the nav system. When you press the voice button, you activate the Nav voice recognition module. The command "phone" or "user device" then activates the Sync voice recognition module.

On Sync radios without Nav, you never have to use the "phone" or "user device" command.

For instance, with Nav to play billy idol on your ipod you would have use the following commands: "user device" "usb" "play artist billy idol".

Expect Sync to have more functions in the future. Upgrades will be available to previous customers.

Mark
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Or "Play artist Michael Bolton" (if you've seen the Sync/08 Focus commercial).
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Expect Sync to have more functions in the future. Upgrades will be available to previous customers.

I've read that staement before. How will Ford roll the updates out? Will they have an option to download them onto a USB drive and load it in through the USB port in the vehicle? Or will we all have to trek to the dealer?
    The next generation nav could be really nice. The current nav system isn't bad; the biggest complaint is that the graphics are kind of dated-looking and ugly and sometimes it is a bit slow, but the functionality is otherwise OK.
    If the next generation is faster, has a slick look with high resolution graphics and has full Sync integration, (so you can enter any address using speech input) it could be one of the best. Optional traffic service and standard rear view camera would be nice.

Honda/Acura currently has the best functionality of factory nav systems. Infiniti/Nissan seems to have the best graphics with birds-eye views and attractive graphics.
    Toyota\Lexus is a bit disappointing because you have to pull over and stop and enter alot of things by hand that you should be able to do while driving if it had better control via steering wheel buttons or voice.
    Will they have an option to download them onto a USB drive and load it in through the USB port in the vehicle?

Yes, they've already said that's how they'll do the updates.
    Ford views rear view camera monitor on the nav display as a safety hazard.

INSTEAD, Ford mounts the monitor behind the glass in the left quarter of the rearview mirror. This way you don't have to take your eyes off the mirror and look down. It also alows the camera to be available without navigation.

Who says Ford does not innovate?

Mark.
    Isn't that a third party rear view camera the dealer installs?
    Dealer labor charges make the total cost overpriced and it never looks as good as something the car was designed for and had installed at the factory.
    The 2008 rear view camera & mirror screen are factory from what I have been told. Have not seen one yet.
    No mention of this option on the Ford website.
    It is not available on the Edge, but is on the 2008 Expedition and F-150.
    Yes, they've already said that's how they'll do the updates.

Excellent!!!
    It is not available on the Edge, but is on the 2008 Expedition and F-150.

IIRC it is available on Mazda CX-9 too.
  • lakerunner4hlakerunner4h Member Posts: 37
    Test drove an '08 Edge Limited this past Saturday, as well as an '07 Lincoln MKX. On the Lincoln, the O/D off switch appeared to lock out 6th gear (.742 OD) only. When driving the Edge, the same switch appeared to lock out both 5th & 6th. Is anyone aware of a design difference between the controls for these two models?
    According to the 07 owner's manual it only locks out 6th gear on both the Edge and MKX. It is possible they changed it for 08 - the OMs aren't online yet.
    Does anyone have pictures of this. I noticed it on the Ford website but it is one of the few options without any pictures,
    I have learned that for 2008 Ford has changed the look of the camel interior. For 2007 the camel interior had a camel dash and steering wheel. For 2008, the dash, wheel, and the lower door panels and lower console are black. What does everyone think about that change? We have a 2008 Edge Limited in Creme Brulee with camel leather ordered and are not sure how the black dash is going to look. Comments? Has anyone seen the new camel/black interior?
    I believe this is a picture of a 2008 Limited with the camel interior. It's straight from Ford's Edge site. I like it!

I am considering the 08 Edge as my future vehicle. I am concerned about rear visibility seems like the rear headrests are on the way. Can someone shed light on this? thanks
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    I'm 6'1" and my wife is 5'5" and we both find the rear visibility acceptable; not great but OK.
    Would it help if I got the rear backup sensors? My husband is 6'2" and I am 5'4".
    So I guess it will be okay. I guess as long you can backup and pass without problems.
  • markanmarkan Member Posts: 48
    Backup sensors would help. The rear window seems small at first but you get used to it. The sensors would sure help with parking and "seeing" small things below the window. Passing is no problem and the side mirrors are great.
    Took an 08 Limited (White Tricoat) for an overnighter. Seems to drive nicely, one small annoyance. Where is the glove compartment light? I cannot believe Ford would omit such a small detail on a vehicle this expensive. Also the steering wheels do seem a little flimsy IMO.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Since SYNC is such a big feature, some of the recent posts about it have been moved to the SYNC discussion:

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

That's why some of the post sequence is out of ... sync. :blush:
    Ordered my 2008 Edge Limited AWD - Ink Blue/Camel yesterday. New option available is a Cargo Cover (factory installed). This is in addition to the "Cargo Management System". Does anyone have any information about this option? Dealer knows nothing else but it will cost $115. Also, the build date and availability for this will not be until Jan.08. Thanks
    The cargo cover is usually a vinyl cover that pulls out over the cargo bay from a unit which is inserted (and can be removed) in two slots just behind the second row of seats near the top of the backrest (not the headrest). It functions much like a pull blind only you don't have to pull it again to make it retract. Two pegs fit in two slots on either side of the cargo bay near the rear hatch and are at about the level of the bottom of the hatch window.

These are nice to have if you want to hid something in the cargo bay or just keep things from bouncing up over the rear seats (balloons come to mind).
  • g_mans_edgeg_mans_edge Member Posts: 2
    baggs32's description is pretty close, but the cargo cover that is made for the Edge as a Ford accessory does not utilize a "unit" that allows the cover to pull out/retract like a window shade. It is simply a flat section of form fitted vinyl that has three elastic bands that go over & around the three rear seat headrests, two plastic hooks that clip inside the plastic side cover under each rear side window, and two smaller elastic bands at the rear that slip over plastic hook anchors near the hatch which are part of the installation. Now that I've seen what it is, I would never purchase one at the price being asked by Ford. My dealer threw mine in along with the factory all-weather floor mats as negotiating incentives. It's really not worth the cost that Ford is selling it for.
    Please pay attention - this is a new factory option on the 08 models, not something from the accessory catalog.
    So is the one from the factory the same as what I described? I described the one we had with our Escape and the one available for our Explorer and just assumed it would be the same for the Edge.

What g-man described is what Ford offers on their accessories site (the real site) for $125 and does not seem anywhere near as nice as the one that retracts. I don't actually see a cargo cover as an option on the Ford build an Edge site for the 2008 model. Is it really a factory option?
This discussion has been closed.